• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA PR - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is Fastest-Selling Mario Kart in Franchise history

Crayons

Banned
I feel really out of touch these days. The switch is apparently selling well but I don't know anyone who owns one.

That's awesome.

Must also be extra amazing for those playing it for the first time.

I'm blown away playing this thing on a handheld and I've got 100+ hours logged on Wii U.

Absolutely agree. MK8 was a masterpiece and I'm glad to see it get in more hands. Especially if that eventually leads to new DLC...

Kyzer

Banned
Im gonna come out and say it. This has been the best launch period of a new system for me ever. Its not as mystical or magical as the promise of the Wii, but thats probably for the best because its actually able to deliver on its promises and really excel at software. I have way too many games that I really really love

I got you fam.

mario_kart_pie_chart.jpg
mario_kart_sales_releative_to_platform.jpg

Lol and there it is! I still can't believe Polygon made that chart...

Nanashrew

Banned
But why didn't the WiiU version sell as well before?

Wii U was unappealing to the masses and meant that most sales came from dedicated Nintendo fans. The Switch is a far more appealing product to the masses out there so more sales are coming from people who never played the Wii U version or never even knew there was a Wii U.

Wii U version still sold really well despite the platform it was on all things considered though.

Crayolan

I could see some people making the argument that as a three-years-later Wii U port MK8's ceiling might be lower than you'd otherwise expect, while BotW being the most relevant Zelda game in more than a decade gives it more selling power than you'd otherwise expect.

But, yeah, MK8D is going to do some work.

Yea, I was thinking being a port would cut into its sales potential a bit. Looks like that's not the case.

Im gonna come out and say it. This has been the best launch period of a new system for me ever. Its not as mystical or magical as the promise of the Wii, but thats probably for the best because its actually able to deliver on its promises and really excel. I have way too many games that I really really love

It actually reminds me of Wii quite a lot in that it exceed all expectations .

let see if Nintendo have more up its sleeves @ E3.

Over 450k sales in a day is legit impressive as fuck. Especially considering the size of that user base. Like I get MKDX doesn't have a ton of competition, but that's still insanely impressive

Is it that far-fetched to think Nintendo has updated numbers for their own hardware?

not. but the low numbers
even in Japan, Switch was selling ~50k each week in April
and the US is a bigger market for Nintendo

supply constrained for sure, but that low?

i just try to figure something out here

Ridley327

Damn, even my lofty expectations for this were surpassed. Nintendo has a juggernaut in the making and there really haven't been too many signs of it slowing down.

Switch - fastest selling Nintendo console

Breath of the Wild - fastest selling Zelda game and standalone launch title

MK8D - fastest selling Mario Kart game

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
not. but the low numbers
even in Japan, Switch was selling ~50k each week in April
and the US is a bigger market for Nintendo

supply constrained for sure, but that low?

i just try to figure something out here

Oh, that's what you meant. I thought you were discrediting the source - my mistake.

Yeah, I guess the supply constraints have been hard.

Instro

So was that 2.4m figure for Switch first month sales incorrect? 2.7m through May would mean it only sold 300k for the entire month WW, which doesnt sound right.

meppi

Switch - fastest selling Nintendo console

Breath of the Wild - fastest selling Zelda game and standalone launch title

MK8D - fastest selling Mario Kart game

If they can keep the momentum going, we're going o be seeing something really special these next couple of years.

Zedark

So was that 2.4m figure for Switch first month sales incorrect? 2.7m through May would mean it only sold 300k for the entire month WW, which doesnt sound right.
2.74 million was announced as thé official number by Nintendo during the fiscal year presentation - the 2.7 million number is as of end of March.

Soph

This is honestly not that impressive, it will drop in sales anyway once it hits the core audience of 17 million. Switch gamers are starved for games and there wasn't much other games coming out this week to compete. Other Mario Karts never really sold that well in America.

Ridley327

Will be really interesting to see what 3rd party game takes off like a shot first. Minecraft?

Nintendo would be smart to get their in-store displays updated to reflect Minecraft's release, especially since it'll be digital-only for a few months. They should even throw up some POS cards that people can buy with a redemption code for the game.

Top Bottom