• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alexander Brandon, the composer of Deus Ex and Unreal, is working with Retro Studios

ChaosXVI

I'd be slightly bummed if it were a 3DS game, but honestly a 2D Metroid of high quality could be a new GBA game for all I care. I just need some new Metroid goodness. Although AM2R scratched that itch pretty good last year.

Yeah. Certainly don't take my comment to change any thing. The info could be wrong, but I just wanted to expand on his comment a bit. It'll be pretty crazy if the Climax rumor ends up being accurate.

NateDrake, you don't seem like the type of guy to post and run, so I'll ask you:

Do you know anything about this Metroid that would make people angry?

Rodin

Climax made some good games and some not so good ones, so IF they're making a Metroid game or at least helping i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. What I don't understand is why Nintendo doesn't give Metroid to IS or EPD though. I'm sure they can manage a 2D game between one Mario and the next.

I'd also expect the new Metroid to be a 3DS game considering Nintendo's willingness to support the platform until at least next year (although cross platform with Switch would be better), and i'm more than fine with this if it's a 2D game. But Retro working on 3DS? Yeah no lol

The Climax Metroid rumor has been shared by a lot of people, though like Alberto said that doesn't necessarily mean it's accurate.

However, as for Retro, I'm gonna stick by my never believing any Retro rumor rule. It has served me well in the past.

And especially don't believe SMD's Retro rumors.
Lol he's back? What's he saying?

Okay, let's keep in mind this is 100% rumor and no one should hunt for heads if it doesn't pan out.

About a year and a half ago, I was told Nintendo was working with a British third party on a Metroid title. At the time, it was nascent and had either not been greenlit or barely started pre-production. I made some hypothetical lists with some other people about who would make it, and Climax was on that list. I was pulling for Sumo Digital or even Ninja Theory to some extent, but Climax seemed a solid bet.

Like...a week ago, I was talking about the Rabbids leaks with someone and they mentioned Metroid by Climax. We talked some details, I talked to some other people who said they had heard the same thing from other sources, etc.

I suspect the Climax part isn't going to be what makes people angry.
I remeber you teasing the Paper Mario CS card system.
Yeah, I imagine if the dev's name gets out before seeing the game Metroid fans will go ape shit again killing the franchise (for a 3rd time...they even hurt DK, lol)
The Climax Metroid rumor has been shared by a lot of people, though like Alberto said that doesn't necessarily mean it's accurate.

However, as for Retro, I'm gonna stick by my never believing any Retro rumor rule. It has served me well in the past.

And especially don't believe SMD's Retro rumors.
You'd have to be an idiot to give SMD any leaked info. No one should trust him.

Climax made some good games and some not so good ones, so IF they're making a Metroid game or at least helping i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. What I don't understand is why Nintendo doesn't give Metroid to IS or EPD. I'm sure they can manage a 2D game between one Mario and the next.

I agree that it would be a good idea (and a great game) if they do that, but I guess Metroid just doesn't sell like they would hope it does. Especially in Japan.

Lol he's back? What's he saying?

Here:

Our good old friend SMD said in a live stream that Retro is working on new ip and a metroid game. However, he said that the new metroid game that will be shown at e3 is being developed by Climax Studios.

As usual there's no reason to believe he has legit sources, especially about Retro. A lot of people have hinted at Climax doing Metroid, including Liam R the other day.

Dascu

Adding to others: I've also heard, from several sources independently from Eurogamer/ShockingAlberto, about the Climax UK working on a Metroid for 3DS rumor (maybe Switch too?). I was expecting it to be announced back at the Janaruy Direct.

Adding to others: I've also heard, from several sources independently from Eurogamer/ShockingAlberto, about the Climax UK working on a Metroid for 3DS rumor (maybe Switch too?). I was expecting it to be announced back at the Janaruy Direct.

If this is true and it's only 3DS don't even show it Nintendo. Please you can't be this fucking stupid, Nintendo. Just don't even show it and start a Switch Metroid game.

If this is true and it's only 3DS only don't even show it Nintendo. Please you can't be this fucking stupid, Nintendo. Just don't even show it and start a Switch Metroid game.

Come on dude, if it's a proper Metroid game with no caveats, what's the problem? At least we'd be getting a Metroid game at all haha! Metroid isn't a system seller, so while a Switch version would be nice, they'd probably prioritize injecting life back into this franchise by going for the bigger installed base. As a Switch owner it sucks, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the clusterfuck that will be the reveal thread will be blown out of proportion.

Rodin

I agree that it would be a good idea (and a great game) if they do that, but I guess Metroid just doesn't sell like they would hope it does. Especially in Japan.
Sure, but i was thinking about Captain Toad for example, which is a smaller project they made between 3DW and Odyssey and i don't think it sold much bigger numbers that a hypotetical 2D Metroid would do. I honestly think Nintendo is underestimating how much a Metroid game that is up to the series standards would sell, even a 2D one, opposed to what kind of meltdowns would cause another underwhelming episode.

Here:
As usual there's no reason to believe he has legit sources, especially about Retro. A lot of people have hinted at Climax doing Metroid, including Liam R the other day.

Thanks. Yeah i agree, although i don't trust anyone in general when it comes to Retro haha.

If this is true and it's only 3DS don't even show it Nintendo. Please you can't be this fucking stupid, Nintendo. Just don't even show it and start a Switch Metroid game.

What if it is the same situation ans in 2001 were we had a handheld Metroid and a console Metroid? Climax is developing Fusion 2 and Retro Prime 4.

As I recall, as of E3 2015 the comment had been made that there was no other Metroid game in development but the newly revealed Federation Force. However, looking back at the interview the response was to a question about the next home console Metroid.

Kensuke Tanabe said:
If we started for Wii U now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo's NX console

So it doesn't explicitly rule anything out, but basically confirms that no console Metroid title was in development... but that's also nearly a two year old interview, so anything could have happened since then. It also doesn't really address the possibility of spinoffs or anything for 3DS.

The time table has definitely been there for SOMETHING to happen with Metroid. I just hope people take anything they perceive to be a "hint" with a grain of salt. Metroid is one of those franchises people are so thirsty for that literally any possibility that a rumor could be about Metroid will inevitably become about Metroid. It's just easy to get caught up in rumor hype fever.

Also, and I'm beating a dead horse (but am pretty sure I'm contractually obligated to say), SMD has no sources at this point. No real info will come within a hundred miles of him. Anything he says is either piggybacked off of what other people are saying, or is flat-out made up (as his NX = AMD Polaris Console "source" clearly demonstrated).

Didn't mean to post and run, I went to sleep.

What I was told was 3DS. Someone else told me 3DS and Switch.

I know people want a AAA console Metroid. This won't be that.

Trevelyan

Banned

To be honest, if it's a super Metroid successor, such as 2D, I'd love that just as much, especially seeing it on the Switch screen.

TBQH I'm okay with either. As long as it doesn't look like Federation Force in terms of art direction, I'll give it a whack.

JoeM86

I doubt we'll see AAA console Metroid. Contrary to what the vocal believe, Metroid is a niche title. It doesn't sell.

If all we'll ever get from Metroid is low-budget 2D/2.5D side scrollers on the Switch, I'll happily inject them in my veins.

Rodin

A 2D cross platform game sounds awesome actually. Hell, even 3DS alone would be great. People would get angry for the sake of it, the important thing is that the game is good.

Its probably an FPS

Still hope it's an RPG. I've been wanting to see Retro tackling the genre since i realized what kind of ridiculous work they did with Prime's lore.

Metroid is less popular and successful than Kirby

Donkey Kong Country Returns alone outsold the entire Metroid Prime trilogy.

Let's not act like what I said is wrong.

Not entirely sure it sells much less than Kirby, maybe it doesn't have the same consistency but the Prime games were all million seller iirc (first Prime actually came really close to 3 million copies). Other M sold much less but it wasn't well received by the public. A great Metroid game with good marketing would sell very well today, look what happened to Fire Emblem (which used to be much smaller than Metroid).

Not entirely sure it sells much less than Kirby, maybe it doesn't have the same consistency but the Prime games were all million seller iirc (first Prime actually came really close to 3 million copies). Other M sold much less but it wasn't well received by the public. A great Metroid game with good marketing would sell very well today, look what happened to Fire Emblem (which used to be much smaller than Metroid).

Mentioning a franchise that became successful on a handheld is not the counterpoint to Joe's argument against a AAA console Metroid that you seem to think it is.

EDIT: And when was the last AAA console Kirby game?

Aldric

Metroid is less popular and successful than Kirby

Kirby: 26 games, 34 million copies sold. Average sales by game: 1 300 000 (rounded up)

Metroid: 13 games, 17 million copies sold. Average sales by game: 1 300 000 (rounded up)

They're actually the same, Kirby simply has more games as it's a better managed series.

Come on dude, if it's a proper Metroid game with no caveats, what's the problem? At least we'd be getting a Metroid game at all haha! Metroid isn't a system seller, so while a Switch version would be nice, they'd probably prioritize injecting life back into this franchise by going for the bigger installed base. As a Switch owner it sucks, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the clusterfuck that will be the reveal thread will be blown out of proportion.

Just to clarify I wouldn't have a problem with it because I still play my 3DS. I take it to work lol. But when I constantly see comments like "Nintendo why are you stills supporting the 3DS and this is taking away from Switch games" is going to piss a good amount of people off if a mainline Metroid game comes to the 3DS and not Switch. Oh if it's 3DS exclusive you know the hyperbole and hate for Nintendo will be off the charts. I can't wait to see the Youtube dislikes lol.

What if it is the same situation ans in 2001 were we had a handheld Metroid and a console Metroid? Climax is developing Fusion 2 and Retro Prime 4.

That's cool. I just think they need some kind of mainline Metroid on Switch. If they show a Metroid game for the 3DS and a Metroid game for Switch all is good. If they only show a Metroid game for just the 3DS with no cross platform or no Switch game at all well that's going to be another story....

I doubt we'll see AAA console Metroid. Contrary to what the vocal believe, Metroid is a niche title. It doesn't sell.

I think most people know Metroid is niche. They usually sell around a million or more. Games like Pikmin sell around a million, but I'm sure the investment is cheaper so they make more money. It helps when Miyamoto loves his Pikmin lol.

To be honest Metroid fans are a fickle bunch. Although I don't blame them since they haven't gotten a great metroid game for a long time. However even if a hypothetical Metroid game was announced for 3DS and Switch they would still get mad its on 3DS and pretty much kill the franchise again lol.

At least Metroid gets games unlike F-Zero....

2D low budget Metroid on 3DS and Switch would be perfectly fine. Excellent even.

But 3DS alone would be fairly annoying to me, since it's frankly a bit painful for me to go back to the 3DS after playing on a Switch. Screen size, control size, resolution, it's all so much better and more comfortable on the Switch.

Oh well, hoping for cross platform.

To be honest Metroid fans are a fickle bunch. Although I don't blame them since they haven't gotten a great metroid game for a long time. However even if a hypothetical Metroid game was announced for 3DS and Switch they would still get mad its on 3DS and pretty much kill the franchise again lol.

At least Metroid gets games unlike F-Zero....

Actually I bet Alexander Brandon would do a great F-Zero score. For the inevitable open world F-Zero racing/brawling game.

Rodin

Mentioning a franchise that became successful on a handheld is not the counterpoint to Joe's argument against a AAA console Metroid that you seem to think it is.

EDIT: And when was the last AAA console Kirby game?

Cool, now it would be nice for you to point out where i was discussing this new AAA Metroid.

Cool, now it would be nice for you to point out where i was discussing this new AAA Metroid.

You were responding to a 3 post discussion about the likelihood of a AAA console Metroid based on sales/nicheness and pointed out that another franchise with about the same sales had been successful, but that is on the 3DS.

A great Metroid game with good marketing would sell very well today, look what happened to Fire Emblem (which used to be much smaller than Metroid).

Fire Emblem happened on the 3DS on a smaller budget than, presumably, a console Metroid would need, both being relatively niche titles. Joe was, I think, pointing out that 3DS is more likely since Metroid has been, historically, a niche franchise sales-wise.

If you weren't responding to his point about the likelihood of a AAA console Metroid, my apologies.

Rodin

You were responding to a 3 post discussion about the likelihood of a AAA console Metroid based on sales/nicheness and pointed out that another franchise with about the same sales had been successful on the 3DS.

Fire Emblem happened on the 3DS on a smaller budget than, presumably, a console Metroid would need, both being relatively niche titles. Joe was, I think, pointing out that 3DS is more likely since Metroid has been, historically, a niche franchise sales-wise.

If you weren't responding to his point about the likelihood of a AAA console Metroid, my apologies.
I know what the discussion was but i was only responding specifically to him saying that Metroid "doesn't sell" and that Kirby is a "much bigger series". If you read my previous posts i was saying that this new rumored Metroid (if it's real) is likely going to be a 3DS title (even before alberto's clarification), which i also hope will be 2D and possibly cross platform with Switch. A Metroid game to be "great" doesn't need to be AAA or console exclusive ;)

If it's a 2D one on Switch and 3DS people wouldnt be too upset. Though I wish the 3DS would quietly die already. Keeps getting console ports while 3DS to Wii U or Switch dont happen.

Defect

If it's a 2D game on the 3DS I won't mind. I only worry about the art style. I fucking hate 3D models in sidescrollers and i feel like that is what they're going to do.

Only thing that's kind of weird is why Climax would go on Twitter to kind of make fun of it and say they're not making a Metroid game.

If it's a 2D game on the 3DS I won't mind. I only worry about the art style. I fucking hate 3D models in sidescrollers and i feel like that is what they're going to do.

I'm not a fan of 3D models in most sidescrollers either.

Anyone know what type of budget Ori and the Blind Forest was made on? I'd love to see a 2D Metroid that looks like that.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So it seems like a lock that we're getting a new 2D Metroid, the first one since Fusion 15 (!) years ago. At this point I don't even care what platform it's on, just that it's coming. Oh and it should be good, that's... somewhat important

Defect

So it seems like a lock that we're getting a new 2D Metroid, the first one since Fusion 15 (!) years ago. At this point I don't even care what platform it's on, just that it's coming. Oh and it should be good, that's... somewhat important
Zero Mission came out in 2004 but yeah, it's been a long time.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If retro is working on Metroid it will be 3ds game in 2d

But I Hinksey they are working on something different for Switch

Top Bottom