• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RiME - Its almost here! Lets discuss the game!

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, apparently Steam won't let me publish my review after embargo lifts cuz in my region the game will unlock tomorrow. What a stupid thing this goddamn Steam. Was it so hard to let people how got review codes to publish their reviews earlier? Come on, Gaben, you can do this! It should've been done long time ago!!

Well, apparently Steam won't let me publish my review after embargo lifts cuz in my region the game will unlock tomorrow. What a stupid thing this goddamn Steam. Was it so hard to let people how got review codes to publish their reviews earlier? Come on, Gaben, you can do this! It should've been done long time ago!!

How is the performance of the PC version? I'm getting the game regardless but not sure if PC is a decent shout or to go with PS4 version! :D

1st world problems lol.

v0mitg0d

Videos for you and one is in glorious, raw 4K/60! Though the game doesn't run at 60fps, it does seem to dip above 30 at times. That's the reason I captured at that frame rate.

RiME - Intro (4K/60, No Commentary, PS4 Pro)
https://youtu.be/PKdJ8J0WP1U

**PUZZLE SPOILERS BELOW**
RiMe - All World 1 Puzzle Solutions
https://youtu.be/8DYWLsOJLmU

RiMe - World 1 Puzzle 5 Solution
https://youtu.be/gSET6quPLR4

RiMe - World 1 Puzzle 4 Solution
https://youtu.be/_L_SMmITsm0

RiMe - World 1 Puzzle 3 Solution
https://youtu.be/RYPAMhswMrQ

RiMe - World 1 Puzzle 2 Solution
https://youtu.be/qHYXdjyyTbI

IMPRESSIONS
I played the game on my 4k TV (KS8000) on a PS4 Pro. There are 5 worlds and I'm almost done with the 3rd which has taken my roughly 4 hours.

- It's a gorgeous game, and yes the first 2 minutes of the game I couldn't stop thinking about the Ico comparisons, however it does enough to form it's own identity--and it's a good one.

- The score is really goddamn good.

- This is a dreamy, sort of no-combat, sit-on-your-couch-and-explore-experience. Just love it!

- Though there's a overarching design to it all, each world has it's own flow, narrative little special something. :)

- It's mostly been puzzle-soft. As in, the environmental puzzles have never been too challenging where I need to walk away, but a few have stumped me for 5-10 minutes.

- On the Ps4 Pro it appears to run at about 30-40FPS in 4K. Unsure if there's officially Pro support, but for the record I do have Boost Mode enabled in case there's not.

- The day/night cycle is too fast, and I found it a touch bothersome.

We really liked it here at Push Square:

RiME PS4 Review - 8/10

Tequila Works’ long-awaited title takes you on a heartfelt adventure through large, open areas full of personality and imaginative puzzles. Comparisons to the likes of Journey or ICO were inevitable, and while it can imitate a little too closely, it has just enough fresh ideas to set it apart. Its clean and colourful presentation is backed up by a truly excellent soundtrack, and the story conjures up some wonderful moments along its fairly brief duration. Those looking for a fun, cohesive, and original puzzle platformer could do far worse than investing some time in RiME.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/rime

Also video review with lots of PS4 Pro footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ1XaIYf23A&list=PLOcHKd42lits6-Y-GEPSxcRSx9acBTmu4&index=1

burgerdog

Videos for you and one is in glorious, raw 4K/60! Though the game doesn't run at 60fps, it does seem to dip above 30 at times. That's the reason I captured at that frame rate.

RiME - Intro (4K/60, No Commentary, PS4 Pro)
https://youtu.be/PKdJ8J0WP1U

**PUZZLE SPOILERS BELOW**
RiMe - All World 1 Puzzle Solutions
https://youtu.be/8DYWLsOJLmU

RiMe - World 1 Puzzle 5 Solution
https://youtu.be/gSET6quPLR4

RiMe - World 1 Puzzle 4 Solution
https://youtu.be/_L_SMmITsm0

RiMe - World 1 Puzzle 3 Solution
https://youtu.be/RYPAMhswMrQ

RiMe - World 1 Puzzle 2 Solution
https://youtu.be/qHYXdjyyTbI

IMPRESSIONS
I played the game on my 4k TV (KS8000) on a PS4 Pro. There are 5 worlds and I'm almost done with the 3rd which has taken my roughly 4 hours.

- It's a gorgeous game, and yes the first 2 minutes of the game I couldn't stop thinking about the Ico comparisons, however it does enough to form it's own identity--and it's a good one.

- The score is really goddamn good.

- This is a dreamy, sort of no-combat, sit-on-your-couch-and-explore-experience. Just love it!

- Though there's a overarching design to it all, each world has it's own flow, narrative little special something. :)

- It's mostly been puzzle-soft. As in, the environmental puzzles have never been too challenging where I need to walk away, but a few have stumped me for 5-10 minutes.

- On the Ps4 Pro it appears to run at about 30-40FPS in 4K. Unsure if there's officially Pro support, but for the record I do have Boost Mode enabled in case there's not.

- The day/night cycle is too fast, and I found it a touch bothersome.

You're not sure if it has pro support but it's running at 4K. lol

Nice review but this is wrong imo
Developer Tequila Works have confirmed that Rime will run at 30fps at 4k on PS4 Pro and 60fps at 1080p, but there is currently no way to change between these two settings in-game. With no news of a day-one patch, this means that if you have a PS4 Pro you’ll have to either play at an unstable 30fps or change the console’s video output back to 1080p.

I have a Pro and a1080p set and no way the game runs at 60. It's not even a steady 30.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, at last I can talk about this game, but i won't be posting full text of my review here, i'll share the link to it tomorrow. Now, let's talk about PC port.

Well guys, i can't get constant 60 FPS in 1080p without turning down shadows to medium and i've 4790K, 16 GB RAM and ASUS ROG 1070. The game simply not optimised well enough even for 1080p, not to mention 1440p which is unfortunately unplayable if i don't turn of the shadows completely. To get almost constant (but nowhere near perfect) 60 FPS i need to turn down shadows to medium in 1080p. I really don't know why shadows (or whatever it actually is) is so taxing in this game, not to mention that system such as mine should destroy this game even in 4K, yet, i can barely get 30 FPS in such resoluting even without shadows at all. I can asume that foliage and view distance is to blame for all this, but to be frank, The Witcher 3 is a much and much more complex game in terms of visuals, geometry and amount of foliage, yet it performs A LOT better than RIME in 1440p on my system with 99% of max setting and with HairWorks on. And i'm not using SSAO to deal with aliasing in RIME btw.

Mdk7

My review for IGN Italia, 8.8
A touching adventure that will be remembered for its stellar emotional value rather than for its (fairly good) gameplay: prepare some tissues because you're definitely gonna need them, as you'll experience one of the most memorable epilogues ever.

Honestly, I was going to give the game below 8 until 20' from the ending.
The epilogue was just so incredibly good that I felt the need to increase the score of 1 full point because of that only, as it really had such a tremendous impact on me (it's something I will remember for years, and that made the game better in retrospect).
That said, I can also perfectly understand scores around the 7.5 mark, because the game has its flaws (above alle the puzzle being pretty bland and straightforward IMHO, and some performance problems even on PS4 Pro).

Skippy27

Neo Member
My review for IBTimes UK - 4.5/5 http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/rime-revie...ure-beautiful-ode-life-loss-childhood-1623158

Rime is a beautiful ode to life, loss and childhood that's as much a pleasure to behold as it is to play. Genteel puzzling and exploration make for great bedfellows in a memorable adventure only let down ever so slightly by some minimal frame rate stutter and a final act that while emotionally resonant provides little challenge or escalation in terms of gameplay. Nearly four years on from its much-hyped debut, Rime proves itself to be have been absolutely worth the wait.

Well, at last I can talk about this game, but i won't be posting full text of my review here, i'll share the link to it tomorrow. Now, let's talk about PC port.

Well guys, i can't get constant 60 FPS in 1080p without turning down shadows to medium and i've 4790K, 16 GB RAM and ASUS ROG 1070. The game simply not optimised well enough even for 1080p, not to mention 1440p which is unfortunately unplayable if i don't turn of the shadows completely. To get almost constant (but nowhere near perfect) 60 FPS i need to turn down shadows to medium in 1080p. I really don't know why shadows (or whatever it actually is) is so taxing in this game, not to mention that system such as mine should destroy this game even in 4K, yet, i can barely get 30 FPS in such resoluting even without shadows at all. I can asume that foliage and view distance is to blame for all this, but to be frank, The Witcher 3 is a much and much more complex game in terms of visuals, geometry and amount of foliage, yet it performs A LOT better than RIME in 1440p on my system with 99% of max setting and with HairWorks on. And i'm not using SSAO to deal with aliasing in RIME btw.

Wow, I might have to refund my steam purchase of this game if that's true. I have a 4670K and a 1060 so I will be in even worse shape than you.

FelipeMGM

Here is mine with a English verdict burb:

Reloading BR - 8.7/10 (In Portuguese)

RiME not only drinks from the source of titles like ICO, Journey, Brothers and Unfinished Swan as it joins them as products that justify the defense that video games are in addition to entertainment products, pieces of great artistic value. It's lack of depth in the puzzles does not detract from how Tequilla Works built with praise a beautiful adventure. Relaxing on its moments of discovery and exploration and intriguing and apprehensive in the most dramatic moments. RiME is a captivating journey from from beginning to end.

It's a great videogame with insanely beautiful artistic aspects like world building and music.

The story is intriguing at first and incredibly well constructed when you look in hindsight after finishing it, so I recommend going in with no spoilers at all about that. Its really special stuff

The weakest point is probably the puzzles. Not that they are bad, they are interesting and also diverse, but they are very basic and hardly really gives any challenge. They dont build up much on their puzzle mechanics despite them beeing smart ideas.

balgajo

Thanks for you feedback! Too much difference between shadows medium/high configs?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Wow, I might have to refund my steam purchase of this game if that's true.
Please understand that my experience alone can't be 100% indicative of a bad / flawed PC port so please check other reviews / opinions to see if someone else other than me has performance problems.

Thanks for you feedback! Too much difference between shadows medium/high configs?
Almost no difference and in some areas there's almost no shadows at all, yet shadows on high get me ~45 FPS in these areas for some reason.

jacobeid

Banned

This does not sound good, nor do the reviews from Polygon, Gamespot, US Gamer, etc.

The devs almost sold me on the game but I'm glad that I waited.

That's super disappointing. I have a similar system.

Just read the Edge review. Read like the most generous 9 I've seen from them in some time.
The game features a lot of things thaat Edge would obviously like- in world invisible walls, low guidance and player control throughout. But the review also had a lot of comments that felt more at home in a preview than a review. Almost a sympathetic tone to the plight the developers have gone through. Sounds nice enough but gentle difficulty and short duration means I'll wait and see what impressions are like a week later.

jacobeid

Banned
In what way is the current spread of reviews all over the place? The majority are 9s and 8s

The major outlets have been giving this game much lower than 8s and 9s.

Destructoid=7
Polygon =6.5
Gamespot=6
US Gamer= 3/5
PC Gamer = 62

I'd call that all over the place.

FelipeMGM

oh yeah, about the duration

It took me 6-7h on first playtrough and I found around almost 50% of the secrets and collectibles

This does not sound good, nor do the reviews from Polygon, Gamespot, US Gamer, etc.

The devs almost sold me on the game but I'm glad that I waited.

Game's getting excellent (if divisive) reviews:

aDvc.png

The major outlets have been giving this game much lower than 8s and 9s.

Polygon =6.5
Gamespot=6
US Gamer= 3/5
PC Gamer = 62

I'd call that all over the place.
That's not how range, mean, etc. work. Just because something has a number of low scores doesn't make the reception "all over the place" when the majority lean higher

If reviews were even or closely distributed across the spectrum, then yes that would be mixed/all over the place. Not in this case, currently at least

ACE 1991

In what way is the current spread of reviews all over the place? The majority are 9s and 8s

Lots of 6s, too. That was just my initial impression, it could sway in one direction once all the reviews are out.

That's not how range, mean, etc. work. Just because something has a number of low scores doesn't make the reception "all over the place" when the majority lean higher

If reviews were even or closely distributed across the spectrum, then yes that would be mixed/all over the place. Not in this case, currently at least

Video game review scores are generally very homogeneous, though. There is rarely any kind of meaningful spread of scores for big releases that have 50-60+ reviews.

DrChicken

Neo Member
Rime Review - 4/5

"It won't present much of a challenge but RiME is a delightful experience from beginning to end. It urges you forward at every turn and while there are minor technical issues, it's a wonderful game that most should explore."

Good little interview on it too: here

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.

Oof, was hoping my laptop would be able to handle this one but I guess PS4 version is my only option here.

jacobeid

Banned

Ok, I didn't mean "all over the place" in strict mathematical terms (nor did the original poster), but if we want to play the semantics game then can we say that the reviews are divisive?

Video game review scores are generally very homogeneous, though. There is rarely any kind of meaningful spread of scores for big releases that have 50-60+ reviews.

This. Lots of 8s and 9s as well as lots of 6s. However you want to coin that, feel free.

Zioman

My review for VGDb - [8/10]

At first glance, RiME might seem rather simple - just a decent platformer with uncomplicated puzzles. It also sports a hidden agenda, one that many AAA productions can only hope to have. It can make us reflect on certain issues, allow us to take a breather and contemplate… and in the process, we can visit one of the most stunning puzzle worlds available (Unreal Engine 4 shines here, even though the framerate can skip some frames occasionally – it’s also uncapped to 60 fps), strain our brains a bit, but foremost – relax and concentrate on exploring and uncovering the truth behind the mysterious island...

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager
Today feels amazing!

Personally, I am really glad that you are all finally getting to hear more about RiME!

benzopil

Ok, I didn't mean "all over the place" in strict mathematical terms (nor did the original poster), but if we want to play the semantics game then can we say that the reviews are divisive?

This. Lots of 8s and 9s as well as lots of 6s. However you want to coin that, feel free.

Didn't know 4 6s is "lots".

Does Horizon have divisive reviews? USGamer gave it 2.5/5 and Paste Magazine 6/10.

Top Bottom