• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RiME - Its almost here! Lets discuss the game!

Just finished the third area of the game.
I like this much more than The Last Guardian.
And again i have to mention the god tier soundtrack. Good stuff!

Raitaro

That's high praise, assuming you did like TLG.

Really impressive of Tequila Works to be able to release not one but two of these well received games in one year (the other being The Sexy Brutale). The fact that they're so vastly different makes it even more of a feat imo.

I'll definitely pick this game up as well soon (as soon as I can decide between the PS4 and Switch versions...).

I wish we could get some confirmation on whether the PC version will support 21:9 resolutions, specifically 3440x1440. It's hard going back to playing games in 16:9 with my new monitor. If it does support 21:9, I'd definitely go for it on PC. Otherwise, maybe I'd wait for Switch.

Ganondorfo

I have a feeling it will be the next Ori and the Blind Forest, I mean a game that will be getting a weekly love thread on Neogaf and Reddit.

Sooo... this seriously comes out on the 26th? Kinda weird as Amazon (at least for the switch version) still has it with a placeholder December 2017 date.

Also, what version(s) is/are coming with a soundtrack? Is it given as a freebie for both physical and digital or just either or? For all platforms?

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager
What about 21:9 support? Don't think I've seen it mentioned anywhere, but do you support it with proper FOV? (Hor+ rather than vert-) I did see a thread on the Steam forums about it but last I looked it wasn't answered there.

RiME supports 21:9 on PC if the monitor can achieve that aspect ratio.

takoyaki

German games magazine M!Games (formerly Maniac) gave Rime 80/100:

tested on: PS4, XONE
gameplay: 8/10
graphics: 8/10
sound 8/10

summary of M!Games review said:
  • average playtime: 5-6h, lots of collectibles to find
  • 5 alternative outfits, concept gallery
  • no fighting, just puzzle solving & exploration gameplay
  • relaxing experience with fair distribution of checkpoints
  • 4 sections of the world (you start on the island, explore caves, ruins, flooded areas, windmills, etc.)
  • day & night cycle
  • framerate problems (especially during the 1st section, worse on XONE than on PS4; they recommend buying the PS4 version because of the more stable framerate and sharper image quality
  • puzzles too easy, you don't get stuck but puzzles also never provide real challenges
  • controls not optimal during platforming sections, comparison to Team Ico games
  • very interesting story that grabs you while playing
  • the fox from the promo material is not a constant companion
  • fantastic visual design that practically invites you to stand still and take in the stylized world reminiscent of Journey or The Witness
  • short, but you're constantly introduced to something new (puzzles, mechanics, companion NPCs, etc.)

Sounds really good imo, I need my The Witness fix ;)

cyba89

Mainly interested in the puzzle quality. Disappointing to hear they are a bit too easy but if they are varied enough to keep things fresh I might give this game a try.

Will decide when we get more reviews tomorrow.

antibolo

Banned
I hope the Switch eShop will get some decent sales in the future because this is something I would definitely buy on sale later down the road.

Will the Switch physical version come with the cloth map (via GS pre-order)? Or just PS4 and Xbone versions?

I hope the Switch release date is within the next couple weeks. Can't wait!!

Ventara

Am I confusing this with another game, or was there a whole fiasco where the heads of the company were embezzling money leading to Sony dropping support? Did the company get new management?

it's sad to hear that puzzles are too easy when it's probably the main thing in the game! We'll see the rest of the reviews!
I'm definitely interested to see what other impressions say. The difficulty of puzzles is one of the most subjective things in a game; how challenging one finds puzzles can make a game fly by or make a game hours longer

Personally, I don't think the ease of puzzles is the right measure. Puzzle can be easy to solve, but also exciting to solve due to the mechanics in play, the actions you have to take, the effects that solving a puzzle has on the world, and so on. Like most puzzles in The Last Guardian or Inside aren't hard or even that difficult to actually pull off, but they're still interesting due to their context in the world.

Given the atmosphere, exploration focus, and so on of Rime, would hard puzzles be a right fit? Or do puzzles that might be easy to solve but fit uniquely in the world and have interesting mechanics better suit the pacing ("constantly introduced to something new") and overall tone?

dEvAnGeL

impressions about consoles performance is sad, i wanted to get the game on disc for my ps4, i guess i will have to settle for STEAM

V3rt1go

RiME became one of my all time bests. Some moments are just wonderful and the ost is really god tier.

God bless David Garcia.

So hard not being able to talk about it yet.

Stoze

I'm definitely interested to see what other impressions say. The difficulty of puzzles is one of the most subjective things in a game; how challenging one finds puzzles can make a game fly by or make a game hours longer

Personally, I don't think the ease of puzzles is the right measure. Puzzle can be easy to solve, but also exciting to solve due to the mechanics in play, the actions you have to take, the effects that solving a puzzle has on the world, and so on. Like most puzzles in The Last Guardian or Inside aren't hard or even that difficult to actually pull off, but they're still interesting due to their context in the world.

Given the atmosphere, exploration focus, and so on of Rime, would hard puzzles be a right fit? Or do puzzles that might be easy to solve but fit uniquely in the world and have interesting mechanics better suit the pacing ("constantly introduced to something new") and overall tone?
Great post. I think "puzzles are too easy (or too hard)" without further insight is kind of a hollow criticism (not necessarily talking about that review at all because I haven't read it). Are they satisfying or at least enjoyable to solve? Interesting and varied? Do they teach you something new about the game/world, or make you think about previously established rules in new ways? Do they hinder or hurt the pacing, and/or lend themselves into the other aspects of the game?

I am surprised about the performance issues on the PS4/XO version of the game. If they are having difficulty there, how is the switch version fairing with much worse hardware? I am definitely getting this on steam if I buy it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Will it be possible to unlock the PC version early through VPN?

I don't think there's been a single indie game with staggered release schedule. The problem is that it's not an automated process on Steam, so multinational publishers are really the only companies that can do it as otherwise someone has to draw the short straw and oversee a release schedule that spans at least a few regions and several hours.

I can understand why -- while Valve does test games prior to approving them for release, there's no patch certification process, so game unlocks being a manual process reduces the likelihood of a game unlocking only to be unplayable for one reason or another and the developer/publisher not being around to fix the problem -- but publishers should really have the option of setting up automated unlocks if they're confident everything is in order.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I want to be hype but the graphics are so ugly for this game that I can't be hyped :(
I mean, RIME sure as hell not a graphical powerhouse by any stretch, but to insult this game like this ...

pvqJq90.gif

it's sad to hear that puzzles are too easy when it's probably the main thing in the game!
Well, I can tell you right now that it is not the main thing in the game even though there's good amount of them. Also, more complex puzzles is not necessary in this game at all cuz it's not about puzzles, puzzles here more like a obstruction with which you need to deal with to progress further. If you want more complex puzzles and rip your hair off, go play The Witness or Myst IV: Revelation (if you can actually find it cuz you can't buy this masterpiece digitally - WTF, Ubisoft?).

impressions about consoles performance is sad, i wanted to get the game on disc for my ps4, i guess i will have to settle for STEAM
Can you please tell on what rig you'll be playing the game?

Yeah, I preordered the other day after the EDGE review came out. Definitely restored a whole lot of confidence. I'm pretty excited for it.

Arriving Tue, May 30 from Amazon. Did they not get the memo this comes out on Friday? No release day shipping? Sad.

Mine says arriving the 26th. I preordered on Monday.

Mdk7

Let me tell you this straight, and then I'll be able to tell you more once the embargo ends: beware of spoilers.
Like, seriously, if you want to play this game, watch out for reviews and posts around, because by saying too much they will completely ruin one hell of an experience that should not be spoiled.

I hope my colleagues respect this too, and it won't be easy to talk about this game without going too much into detail... But yeah, watch out for spoilers.

Karak

Its insane. I beat the game awhile back and am still sitting here in awe. Trumps Neir for me easily.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Let me tell you this straight, and then I'll be able to tell you more once the embargo ends: beware of spoilers.
Like, seriously, if you want to play this game, watch out for reviews and posts around, because by saying too much they will completely ruin one hell of an experience that should not be spoiled.

I hope my colleagues respect this too, and it won't be easy to talk about this game without going too much into detail... But yeah, watch out for spoilers.

Well, what i can tell about my review is that there's no story spoilers in it, like, at all, and that's cuz i perfectly understand that so much of this game must remain a mystery to people cuz it's so much fun to uncover something in this game by yourself without knowing absolutely anything about it. So my advise for all who intend to buy and play this game is this - do not to read any guides, walkthroughs, in-depth reviews and do not watch let's plays etc.

At first i though that i'll be streaming the game on my channel this weekend, but after i finished the first playthrough i decided not to this for at least one week or so.

Lindsaymv

Honestly this game was not at all in my radar after the PS exclusive controversy but after the Sexy Brutale I will totally pick this up (probably at the a discount but hey, depending on the reviews).

Seriously everyone, buy the Sexy Brutale.

-shadow-

As a Switch owner, having to wait longer will make the spoiler dodging a mess. People were already spoiling Zelda before it launched, while this is not nearly as big of a game, I still want to go into this knowing nothing but the complete bare basics :(

Top Bottom