• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 22, 2017 (May 29 - Jun 04)

saichi

On another note, it really shows how much the console market has gone in Japan now that Sony has a system with established million sellers Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo yet selling a fraction of as well as PS2 is the ambition.

what year was this?

Watch MH world will do great both west and east and become a new standard if series.

Can't wait! Especially in Japan!

So going by the rumored, pretty accurate even if not completely right, when are going to announce mhp5 for Switch?

Apparently only first part of the rumor could be true. MHW is mainline and there will be no portable. /s

Mory Dunz

So what is going on with Switch's Japanese support.

Code Vein
DBZ Fighters
Monster Hunter: World

Just in the last couple days these games were all announced for Xbox but skipping Switch entirely.

Though I guess Nintendo can have some cool announcements tomorrow.

I guess these have been in development for a while and Switch was an unknown quantity. Maybe ports will come, who knows.

Vena

I guess these have been in development for a while and Switch was an unknown quantity. Maybe ports will come, who knows.

This at least started, seemingly, somewhere around 2013 so long before the Switch was a thing.

Also for anyone still unsure who this is for and where that rumor stands:
MHW is for the West. That's who the main target is, it's Capcom's attempt at getting a big seller outside of Japan. Its gameplay systems are being changed in order to reach that goal.

Traditional MH will continue on portable systems.

ggx2ac

This at least started, seemingly, somewhere around 2013 so long before the Switch was a thing.

Also for anyone still unsure who this is for and where that rumor stands:

Interesting, I am so going to be let down if Monster Hunter XX isn't coming to Switch in the west.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Also do we want to discuss MvCI? Maybe Nirolak and I will discuss it as we have with other titles of the genre, and ARMS. The game didn't look great (or even good, frankly) and I wonder if DBZ didn't steal some of its thunder. (What happened to Chun-Li...?)

My expectations for it are weak, now, because its not only facing off a potentially better looking/playing similar concept game in DBZ, but it itself doesn't look great and the presentation at this E3 wasn't exactly instilling confidence.

Maybe the Marvel IP will carry it?

Do you mean in Japan or worldwide?

For worldwide, if Smash makes it out this year, Capcom actually has a chance of pulling in 6th place (behind For Honor, Injustice, ARMS, Tekken, and Smash) in the fighting game genre even with actually shipping 2 million copies. If we do a 15 month slice (include Dragon Ball), or focus on the fiscal year (drop For Honor, put in Dragon Ball), still plausible given how well XenoVerse 1 did.

In Japan, I'm not sure the genre sells enough to really matter.

Vena

For worldwide, if Smash makes it out this year, Capcom actually has a chance of pulling in 6th place (behind For Honor, Injustice, ARMS, Tekken, and Smash) in the fighting game genre even with actually shipping 2 million copies. If we do a 15 month slice (include Dragon Ball), or focus on the fiscal year (drop For Honor, put in Dragon Ball), still plausible given how well XenoVerse 1 did.

Both really. I mean you can see my expectations for MvC in that plot I made before which I intentionally over-under by roughly 2x. Not really expecting much from it in Japan.

Globally though I am seeing only Marvel as a grace for what they showed today. It looks bad, production values don't seem high, but I guess it has a story mode... But how deep will that be?

Zedark

So ARMS just overtook Splatoon 2 in the daily amazon Japan ranking, it's now 3rd behind the two DQXI SKUs. Looks like a ramp up in the final few days before launch, so I hope it'll do some decent numbers.

ggx2ac

Both really. I mean you can see my expectations for MvC in that plot I made before which I intentionally over-under by roughly 2x. Not really expecting much from it in Japan.

Globally though I am seeing only Marvel as a grace for what they showed today. It looks bad, production values don't seem high, but I guess it has a story mode... But how deep will that be?

I doubt the story would even be that good. It's a crossover, I expect its quality to be on the same level as Project X Zone.

But of course, that would probably be enough for people to want to buy the game.

KAORIII

Neo Member
I know this has become a MH dicussion thread but

ARMS has surpassed splatoon on both amazon and rakuten chart, so maybe it will sell better than people thought.

sorry for my poor english.

Shengar

I guess it's not a far-fetched idea that MHW was a numbered title before the MHX and Switch situation happened. With MH5 still lingers in the air and MHXX Switch version coming, both Capcom and Sony (more so in the former case) just avoided the potential backlash they will receive in MH homeland if MHW called MH5 instead and the game turned out to be different from the old one in bad way.

Considering the introduction of Hunting style in MHX, we could expect that future MH portable title will continue in that same direction while MHW keep the old formula (with whatever changes the team brought into it).

duckroll

ARMS has surpassed splatoon on both amazon and rakuten chart, so maybe it will sell better than people thought.

I think ARMS will sell pretty well at launch no matter what because it's an attractive new Switch title and the Switch is a popular system now. The real test will be how the legs go, and the word of mouth since it is a multiplayer game.

Your English is pretty good, don't worry about it. :)

Zedark

I think ARMS will sell pretty well at launch no matter what because it's an attractive new Switch title and the Switch is a popular system now. The real test will be how the legs go, and the word of mouth since it is a multiplayer game.

Your English is pretty good, don't worry about it. :)
What opening do you think ARMS will achieve? YSO pegged it at 65k-75k, do you think it'll be higher?

duckroll

What opening do you think ARMS will achieve? YSO pegged it at 65k-75k, do you think it'll be higher?

It's possible sure, hard to say. With Nintendo goes like this in particular, pre-orders only tell one part of the story. New IP from a big mainstream publisher on a popular mainstream system means that if it takes off lots of people could just walk into a store and buy it over the weekend. Especially if it is effective at getting people to convince their friends to grab it just to play with them.

Cookie18

I guess it's not a far-fetched idea that MHW was a numbered title before the MHX and Switch situation happened. With MH5 still lingers in the air and MHXX Switch version coming, both Capcom and Sony (more so in the former case) just avoided the potential backlash they will receive in MH homeland if MHW called MH5 instead and the game turned out to be different from the old one in bad way.

Considering the introduction of Hunting style in MHX, we could expect that future MH portable title will continue in that same direction while MHW keep the old formula (with whatever changes the team brought into it).

I might be wildly off but didn't Capcom only apply for the MHW trademark on June 5? That to me seems like it could be a last minute title change if we assume it was initially meant to be MH5.

Eolz

So going by the rumored, pretty accurate even if not completely right, when are going to announce mhp5 for Switch?

TGS at best. Just a confirlation they're making it obv, no teaser etc before W is released.

The only difficult thing I see coming up for Arms in Japan are its legs really. It should have a good FW.

Chauzu

I noticed that all pre-orders for ARMS from Amazon Japan includes a 500 yen discount code for digital Splatoon 2 now, I wonder if this impacted the spike in any way.

Rodion

Neo Member
The japanese reactions on Twitter and Youtube regarding Monster Hunter World seem very positive so far, what are people saying on 2ch and other japanese sites?

L~A

? Taiko is not a Nintendo exclusive franchise.

I just read Taiko is coming to PS4..

Also, Inafune is making new IP with Level 5.

Inafune x Level 5? Oh boy, discussions about that will reach max level of toxicity. Curious to see what it's all about, though.

Speaking of Level-5, just read that Fantasy Life Online was delayed yet again. Based on feedback from the beta, it seems.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/294/G029473/20170613088/

Oregano

Inafune x Level 5? Oh boy, discussions about that will reach max level of toxicity. Curious to see what it's all about, though.

Well they hadn't done a PS4 release and it was doubtful Vita was going to continue getting them.

crinale

Just saw the name only so far.. it's called Dragon Colonies.

massoluk

Banned

Nintendo steathly becoming
( •_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
The King of Fighters
(⌐■_■)
YYYYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

L~A

Back to Taiko PS4, the timing of the announcement is odd. In past few years, it was usually revealed around TGS, for November release. Guess it's releasing earlier this time?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Back to Taiko PS4, the timing of the announcement is odd. In past few years, it was usually revealed around TGS, for November release. Guess it's releasing earlier this time?

Considering how Namco stated they have a Taiko game for Switch presumably for the current fiscal year...August/September release date for Taiko PS4, and December for Taiko Switch?

Mr Swine

Banned
I think all in all that MHXX on Switch will be the last handheld MH for a while. I think that Capcom rather will focus on MHW and hope that it will sell a lot better than the handheld MH have done in the past.

Japan is an bit of a hit or miss. But I think it could sell a million in Japan and 5-6 million worldwide on all 3 platforms.

I do wonder if Arms can break 150k, if so I do wonder if it can do 250k. How long can Nintendo go with these big shortages without increasing the production for Switch?

Branduil

I think all in all that MHXX on Switch will be the last handheld MH for a while. I think that Capcom rather will focus on MHW and hope that it will sell a lot better than the handheld MH have done in the past.

Japan is an bit of a hit or miss. But I think it could sell a million in Japan and 5-6 million worldwide on all 3 platforms.

I do wonder if Arms can break 150k, if so I do wonder if it can do 250k. How long can Nintendo go with these big shortages without increasing the production for Switch?

So Capcom is just going to abandon Japanese MH players because...?

MH World selling 5 million outside Japan sounds like fantasy land.

The Japanese PS4 lineup is prety weak I agree. Not much to look forward to, it's more or less a repeat of the PS3 generation. Same games, improved graphics.

Thankfully DQ is around the corner (but the retrofreak in me prefers the 2D 3DS look, I'm weird I know).

Despite owning 70+ Retail PS4 games, I just can't muster any will to play the damn thing more than once or twice a week.

He says while PS4 is getting a mainline Dragong Quest, Kingdom Hearts and Monster Hunter.

So what is going on with Switch's Japanese support.

Code Vein
DBZ Fighters
Monster Hunter: World

Just in the last couple days these games were all announced for Xbox but skipping Switch entirely.

Though I guess Nintendo can have some cool announcements tomorrow.

Nothing new. It should be known that Switch will never get the Japanese support PS4 has.

Code Vein and DBZ are both 2018 titles, so a SW port should of been in though considering third parties must of been aware of the SW at least a year in advance (2016).

KAORIII

Neo Member

150k FW or 150k LTD?
I think it difficult to break 150k FW by the comg charts.
150k or 250k LTD should be a lock.

ugh... I mean, I'm a big fan of Level-5, and I will buy snack world and layton, so I'm looking forward to it
which will never release

Top Bottom