• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

I just entered a squad game alone without matching up with randos and managed to kill 5 people, was #12/24. Felt pretty good about it. I got lucky that I dropped smack dab in the middle of the circle, on the smaller island. Pro tip: if you want to get better at firefights and engages, go into squad games solo. You will definitely have firefights.

KaoteK

I really want to get this game, but not sure if my PC is up to snuff:

960m with 4gb
8gb ram
I7 4270 hq

Any ideas how it'll run?

Triteon

I won two solos within the first 40 or so hours and haven't won since.

I came so close yesterday. I was top ten in about 50% of the games I played and top 5 three times, but I just haven't been able to capitalise on it and win, it always seem that I get iced from a random direction while fighting someone else or I'm really far from the circle and I just have to bolt for it in the last 10.

Calmine

960m with 4gb
8gb ram
I7 4270 hq

Any ideas how it'll run?

You're processor isn't half bad, but it'll be your PC's GPU that would hold you back. Battlegrounds isn't overly demanding it's the optimisation that's not there yet.

Your 960M is just below a desktop 750 Ti. I'd say check out gameplay of Battlegrounds on that card and make a decision from there.

Plus to be honest, even playing on Low or very low. The game still looks good and plays well.

I envy people like you. :( Were you playing aggressive or passive? I suspect I'll pass 100 hours without ever getting a win in any mode. I've gotten #2 once in duo.

I was playing pretty passive I assume. I didn't really get into combat/murdering until the final ten. Pinned two people in the blue zone and that did the trick on them and then when we were the final 3 I murdered both of them guys from the grass.

To be fair, it was mostly luck that I saw them before they saw me.

KaoteK

It'll be fine on low.

You're processor isn't half bad, but it'll be your PC's GPU that would hold you back. Battlegrounds isn't overly demanding it's the optimisation that's not there yet.

Your 960M is just below a desktop 750 Ti. I'd say check out gameplay of Battlegrounds on that card and make a decision from there.

Plus to be honest, even playing on Low or very low. The game still looks good and plays well.

Thanks very much, I'll give it a try, I can always refund if it's too dodgy.

I'm on an 870m which isn't too bad on low, what's worst for me is how at spawn it takes 2/3 minutes for the buildings to spawn in, screws me for a quick engagement. Hoping optimizations start happening soon, I'd love the game to be smoother!

I envy people like you. :( Were you playing aggressive or passive? I suspect I'll pass 100 hours without ever getting a win in any mode. I've gotten #2 once in duo.

I've only had the game for a couple of days and so far I consider any top 10 finish in Solo a personal win. A top 5 win is magical. My best finish is second place and I was pretty happy, had I been more aggressive like my opponent, I may have won.

Finished second a couple of times in Duos and Quads, managed to win a Quad match once with my buddies. I absolutely LOVE the communication and tactics involved when playing with your friends, assuming they're smart about the game.

Calmine

I'm on an 870m which isn't too bad on low, what's worst for me is how at spawn it takes 2/3 minutes for the buildings to spawn in, screws me for a quick engagement. Hoping optimizations start happening soon, I'd love the game to be smoother!

A buddy of mine has that problem too where the buildings take a while to load in. I'm not sure if it's GPU related (he's got a 970) he reckons it's his HDD.

If you've got an SSD I'd recommend installing it on that. The game is about 10gb I think.

jediyoshi

The change for more varied circle locations is destroying me. It's the right call game design wise, but woof, muh campin strats.

Just do 4 player squad games if you want a win. 1 in 25 chance of winning (very roughly, ignoring skill), whereas with solo you have a 1 in 100 chance (very roughly, ignoring skill).

I've won a bunch of squad games, but no solo/duo.

Secondly, stats will be reset again, so use this as a learning opportunity, go nuts, go risky, drop in the busiest areas to level up and get used to combat stresses. That's what I'm doing. Slowly getting better (but so is everyone else).

Yeah I mentioned a page or so ago I started watching his streams after seeing him play with DrDisrespect. Now I watch Viss more than the Doc. His aim and spotting skills are pretty crazy, no wonder he has 500+ wins.

Yeah if you didn't know better you'd think he was hacking.

Snipes like a motherfucker.

blacklotus

Übermatik;242476825 said:
Yes, just. Your GPU is going to struggle though, so whack everything on absolute low. Do you have an SSD?

Yeap.

Will install on the SDD then.

Also, couple of months away of upgrading to 1070.

Cc23830

960m with 4gb
8gb ram
I7 4270 hq

Any ideas how it'll run?

my brother plays on an i3 4130
gtx 745
and 8gb ram.

all are on low not very low and it seems plenty playable for him. youll be fine. worst case, just play under 2 hours and geta refund if not satisfied

Brakara

Really getting tired of only getting a fraction of the points for squad games versus solo games. Doesn't make any sense. Either way, the game lasts the same amount of time, and enemy confrontations are actually significantly more difficult considering the number of people working together to kill you. They did some dumb math over on their end that resulted in half the rewards for duos, and a quarter of the rewards for squads. More people on your team doesn't make the game easier to win.

But less teams to play against DO make it easier to win, so the math is actually solid.

manhack

Just started getting into this seriously over the weekend. Played a few times with folks on Discord. Ended up getting a solo Chicken Dinner and 2 Squad Chicken Dinners yesterday. It was a ton of fun.

One match solo I drove around on a bike getting all the supply drops. I had ghillie suit, ghroza and a 15 times scope. Sadly that game i wasn't able to see the guy who eventually killed me.

Great game and lots of fun. Can't wait for grappling and new maps.

Mr Swine

Banned
This lag is killing me and is making the game unplayable. Me and another player face off I fire a shotgun round at his head and he fires a shotgun round a second later yet I get killed by a headshot and I had a better helmet than him

Hybris

Yeah I mentioned a page or so ago I started watching his streams after seeing him play with DrDisrespect. Now I watch Viss more than the Doc. His aim and spotting skills are pretty crazy, no wonder he has 500+ wins.

Check out BreaK as well. He's held #1 solo on EU and NA at once a few times. Incredible spotting skills and insane aim. I'm sure everyone has heard of Grimmz if you want to watch a super aggressive good player.

TheRed

Just got my 3rd solo win! Was loaded onions of ammo for my M16 with a 4x but ended just using the UMP for all my kills including the last guy. That gun is good.

Took me 130 hours for my first solo win. Now I've gotten 2 more at 140, had a few close ones that could've been wins too.
This patch is being good to me. :)

Trojan

I just entered a squad game alone without matching up with randos and managed to kill 5 people, was #12/24. Felt pretty good about it. I got lucky that I dropped smack dab in the middle of the circle, on the smaller island. Pro tip: if you want to get better at firefights and engages, go into squad games solo. You will definitely have firefights.

A guy on Reddit accidentally queued for a squad game playing solo and ended up with 17 kills and a chicken dinner. The video is bananas:

Reddit Post

Video

A buddy of mine has that problem too where the buildings take a while to load in. I'm not sure if it's GPU related (he's got a 970) he reckons it's his HDD.

If you've got an SSD I'd recommend installing it on that. The game is about 10gb I think.

I wouldn't be surprised, though I am really not down for buying an SSD and hooking it up to my laptop for one game. Gives me more of an imperative to start saving for a mammoth PC build when I graduate!

twisted89

I wouldn't be surprised, though I am really not down for buying an SSD and hooking it up to my laptop for one game. Gives me more of an imperative to start saving for a mammoth PC build when I graduate!

Have a dvd drive on your laptop? On my previous 2 I moved the HDD into a dvd drive caddy and replaced main with an ssd.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I really wish this wasn't so expensive, it's all my friend plays now.

Tecnniqe

Banned

giphy.gif

FaintDeftone

I finally picked the game up and played my first match. I made it all the way to 19/100 and was sniped by a dude in a tower. I guess that's not too bad for my first round, right?

Really enjoying the game so far. It definitely feels unfinished (because it is), but totally playable. I find it exciting to see the game evolve on a weekly basis though. It's fun to participate in that.

Nachos

Expensive relative to how much you can spend right now, or expensive relative how much you think the game is worth or how much content it has? The game's a steal at $30, and if the developers were to iron all the kinks out, I'd be perfectly fine paying full price for the content that's there right now.

Honestly if feels and plays better than a lot of finished games I've tried recently.

yeahhh I don't think this game is a bad value proposition at all but I'm gonna call bs on this one. Game's still pretty janky, the movement controls in particular. This game needs vaulting yesterday.

But less teams to play against DO make it easier to win, so the math is actually solid.
Huh? Less teams to play against? It's still the same number of players in the match. A normal solo confrontation will be a one-and-done deal. Kill the one dude, loot him, and that's it. Squad matches are more difficult because that one dude has three other dudes with him. You've now gotta worry about downing people and potentially having them revived by a teammate and once again being a threat again.

And like I said, regardless of what you play, the matches all last the same amount of time. The reward should be the same, otherwise they're just encouraging everyone to play solo matches.

£30 for an unfinished game is pretty expensive IMO?
Regardless of whether it's finished or not, most people in this thread likely have upwards of 100 hours put into the game so far. Hell, the average time played for Steam users is nearing 60 hours now.

Absolutely worth the cost. And I'd say it's actually cheap compared to most other games.

Tovarisc

Didn't there used to be a bridge there?

https://streamable.com/x1qzr

Next time move slower so your PC can catch up and render the bridge :D

But seriously, I doubt it's issue at your end. That has happened few times to e.g. JackFrags. I imagine it's same bug as buildings not rendering at random.

Really depends. I paid... 25? for this and have ~200h played. I got my money back and had a lot fun while at it.

Top Bottom