• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit troll apologizes for trump CNN gif/all those racist remarks

Let's flip the tables for a second, as I'm curious. Imagine some racist news outlet outting a NeoGAF member who said "I wish Trump was dead", and they threaten to reveal his identity should he direct more comments like that towards The President of United States. And maybe they go through his posts and realize he's a closet bisexual and threatens to out his bisexuality publicly by revealing his identity. How would GAF react?

Again, not defending the racist piece of shit, but questioning the reaction to it all.

This is not an equivalent situation, though. You're being intellectually dishonest.

Let's flip the tables for a second, as I'm curious. Imagine some racist news outlet outting a NeoGAF member who said "I wish Trump was dead", and he gets quoted by some politician. Then the news media threaten to reveal his identity should he direct more comments like that towards The President of United States. And maybe they go through his posts and realize he's a closet bisexual and threatens to out his bisexuality publicly by revealing his identity. How would GAF react?

Again, not defending the racist piece of shit, but questioning the reaction to it all.

These aren't the same thing at all. This is a terrible comparison.

Wishing Donald Trump and other prominent Republicans were dead isn't racist, sexist, or homophobic, so I wouldn't be able to do that by definition. Doesn't mean I think that's a bit messed up.

Whenever I see someone go that far in a political thread on GAF, they usually get called out. Also, making threats against the President of the United States leaves you open to investigation and questioning by the FBI, the people this guy was targeting don't have that luxury.

Let's flip the tables for a second, as I'm curious. Imagine some racist news outlet outting a NeoGAF member who said "I wish Trump was dead", and they threaten to reveal his identity should he direct more comments like that towards The President of United States. And maybe they go through his posts and realize he's a closet bisexual and threatens to out his bisexuality publicly by revealing his identity. How would GAF react?

Fam, what is you doing? If that person was retweeted by Obama your analogy would both be more accurate and fall apart completely.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Let's flip the tables for a second, as I'm curious. Imagine some racist news outlet outting a NeoGAF member who said "I wish Trump was dead", and he gets quoted by some politician. Then the news media threaten to reveal his identity should he direct more comments like that towards The President of United States. And maybe they go through his posts and realize he's a closet bisexual and threatens to out his bisexuality publicly by revealing his identity. How would GAF react?

It's almost like people would have a different reaction to a person being doxxed as a bisexual compared to someone who's revealed as a racist misogynistic piece of shit who threatens children and then claims that saying all that vile shit is an addiction. It's almost like this is a false equivalence because not all actions are morally equal. Hmmm ��

Did he post that on r/ImGoingToHellForThis or r/the_donald ?
Pretty sure it was the donald

moomoo14

It's almost like you presented a false equivalence or something.
So that suddenly makes it ok to go after people for views? False equivalency doesn't suddenly mean witch hunts are ok, because their views are worse than ours. We need to be consistent and follow the principle of freedom of thought.

Fam, what is you doing? If that person was retweeted by Obama your analogy would both be more accurate and fall apart completely.

These aren't the same thing at all. This is a terrible comparison.

This is not an equivalent situation, though. You're being intellectually dishonest.

I'm talking about the reaction of the audience that is riled by this shit. The President retweets a lot of shit posted by public. Should that mean that news outlet should go after everyone for scoops and "EXCLUSIVES"?

All in all, CNN is going to see more shitposts directed towards them.

Steel

Banned
So that suddenly makes it ok to go after people for views? False equivalency doesn't suddenly mean witch hunts are ok, because their views are worse than ours. We need to be consistent and follow the principle of freedom of thought.

Where has freedom of thought been violated? The guy isn't gonna go to jail if the things he said publicly are attached to his person.

I'm talking about the reaction of the audience that is riled by this shit. The President retweets a lot of shit posted by public. Should that mean that news outlet should go after everyone for scoops and "EXCLUSIVES"?

If what the president is retweeting is violent, I'd damn well expect it.

I'm talking about the reaction of the audience that is riled by this shit. The President retweets a lot of shit posted by public. Should that mean that news should go after everyone for scoops?

A better comparison would be someone who says they love IS and wants to kill Americans. If that person were found out, I'd say tough luck pal and you had it coming.

Arkeband

Banned
If someone on the internet, who had previously called for the slaughter of all white americans, were then re-tweeted by Obama....how do you think all the republicans out there (or Fox News) would react?

I guess I see your point. I retract the majority of my earlier skepticism.

CNN still helped elect Trump so my sympathy only goes so far.

I'm talking about the reaction of the audience that is riled by this shit. The President retweets a lot of shit posted by public. Should that mean that news should go after everyone for scoops?

Most of them don't make international news, and this particular piece was tweeted by Trump's personal account AND the White House account and THEN this guy came forward and claimed that he made it.

Theoretically could they look at everyone retweeted by The White House? Sure, but more often than not it wouldn't turn up this shit. And it's made the news every time he's retweeted white supremacist shit before.

Crossing Eden

False equivalency means that you should maybe come up with a better way to say that individuals shouldn't be held accountable for their actions that include threatening children, copious use of the n word regardless of topic, and terroristic threats. And ffs FREEDOM OF THOUGHT DOES NOT MEAN FREEDOM OF CONSEQUENCES! How hard is that concept?? Have you never been punished for anything in your life?

Change that from closet bisexual to racist and advocate for violence, and you have a better comparison.

Or is being secretly bisexual equivalent to being racist in your mind? And is wishing somebody dead the same as the language that HanAssholeSolo used? And what of the posting all the Jewish CNN reporter's names?

I can't tell if this is supposed to be a slippery slope argument or a false equivalency.

Somewhere I missed CNN threatening to dox him, too.

What the hell does internet anonymity have to do with free speech? This (apparently) middle aged man can grab a bullhorn and go rant about his musings in the middle of times square without the government jailing him for it, that's free speech.

This is a good point. I think the line for a lot of folks is blurred so that the concept of anonymity and free speech (on line) are one and the same even though there isn't anything in the constitution that states in cases like this that your right to remain anonymous online being infringed.

So now that you realize no one's freedom of speech is being infringed on, we've segued to "Freedom of Thought."

Mind showing me where CNN is restricting anyone's ability to think freely, Moomoo?

It says a lot about how warped perspectives are when people are so comfortable in their safety that they can use someone calling for the genocide of other Americans as an example of how important it is to maintain their right to consequence-free speech.

Alternative view: The people being targeted for genocide by this person have a right to know who their condemner is.

A better comparison would be someone who says they love IS and wants to kill Americans. If that person were found out, I'd say tough luck pal and you had it coming.

Great. And they sure had it coming. However, it's not the media's work to present a sensationalised article just because they got upset that Trump posted a gif with their logo getting punched.

You can't prevent racists from being racist, even if the president tweets them directly/indirectly and the media decides to spend their time Facebooking everyone responsible.

The Kree

Banned
I wonder if I don't care about this guy potentially getting exposed because I can't imagine myself getting caught saying the same kinds of hateful things about people who are different than me.

ecWfzKS.png

I wonder if I don't care because I know better than to make false equivalences to members of historically marginalized groups of people being targeted for harassment.

ecWfzKS.png

I dunno, just thinking out loud.

Crossing Eden

Great. And they sure had it coming. However, it's not the media's work to present a sensationalised article.

You can't prevent racists from being racist,
even if the president tweets them directly/indirectly and the media decides to spend their time Facebooking everyone responsible.[/QUOTE]
I'm seeing a situation where a dude is prevented from being a racist online in this thread due to the threat of exposure from his victims. The article isn't even sensational. Stop worrying about the feelings of a piece of shit.

Yeoman

Great. And they sure had it coming. However, it's not the media's work to present a sensationalised article.

You can't prevent racists from being racist, even if the president tweets them directly/indirectly and the media decides to spend their time Facebooking everyone responsible.
You can certainly stop them displaying their racism publicly. Punish them and the platforms that allow their voices to be heard.

As someone who actually doesn't feel any sympathy for CNN and thinks it's pathetic they can track down this man but still employed Corey Lewandowski, the defenses people are making this reddit racist are just objectively incorrect. Freedom of speech and freedom of thought just doesn't apply here, all you're defending is freedom of anonymity (which I'm not sure exists as a thing). Even that much is a stretch because these were posts on a public forum, not intercepted private e-mails between two people.

Alucrid

Banned
What the hell happened here? I go to sleep and now what's this about CNN doxxing ppl? What went down?

CNN found who HanAssholeSolo is. They contacted him. After being contacted (but not responding to CNN, yet) HanAssholeSolo went and posted a giant apology and said he had gay, muslim and jewish friends. Then he called up CNN and spoke with them. Then CNN wrote an article about how they found who he was, about his apology and about him talking to them after the whole thing but decided not to name him. Somewhere in there he nuked his racist/homophobic/antisemitic reddit account. And people came to the conclusion that CNN doxxed him.

I'm seeing a situation where a dude is prevented from being a racist online in this thread due to the threat of exposure from his victims. The article isn't even sensational. Stop worrying about the feelings of a piece of shit.

You're right. I'm giving way too much thought to this. I shouldn't project my shitty day towards this.

You can certainly stop them displaying their racism publicly. Punish them and the platforms that allow their voices to be heard.

Nah, it'll give them more reasons to create alternate burner accounts to post racist shit. The_Donald is directly related to the huge turnaround of Trump supporters and Hilary haters, so that's that.

Anyways, you guys are cool. My bad for giving too much thought to this.

Again the really funny thing is that CNN isn't going to bat to stop people from being racist, they don't care at all. Your Reddit karma doesn't worry them. They investigated this dude because he was made a public figure by virtue of creating something the President publicly posted through official white house channels and Twitter accounts that are literally confirmed to be STATEMENTS OF THE PRESIDENT.

Like, CNN doesn't care about your racist memes. They don't care about exposing racists. They don't even care about your shitty jewish hate images about CNN employees. They checked this guy out because the President made him a public figure, full stop.

You can expose them though which I consider noble work especially when racists benefit from hiding and using their anonymity and position to harm other people and support damaging, bigoted efforts at large.

br3wnor

As someone who actually doesn't feel any sympathy for CNN and thinks it's pathetic they can track down this man but still employed Corey Lewandowski, the defenses people are making this reddit racist are just objectively incorrect. Freedom of speech and freedom of thought just doesn't apply here, all you're defending is freedom of anonymity (which I'm not sure exists as a thing). Even that much is a stretch because these were posts on a public forum, not intercepted private e-mails between two people.

Exactly. If you want to post stuff anonymously then you should make sure you remain anonymous. The fact that this idiot posted biographical information about himself on a public forum and CNN could connect the dots to find out who he was shouldn’t be a defense to protect his identity. Freedom of speech is a sacred tenant of American society but freedom of anonymity is not. I have no issue at all w/ this guys info being made public.

moomoo14

*Sigh* I don't get y'all. I don't think news organizations should be threatening to reveal people's identities for saying random things on the internet. Let individuals do that. Not organizations with worldwide clout. We can go after people using our judicial system when they do something wrong, rather than do it throughout public shaming. I've seen enough cases of people being blamed for things they didn't do (remember that Reddit Boston Marathon fiasco?) to the point where I think the news shouldn't be doing stuff like this, since they have way more clout than a message board.

I don't care that he has crappy views. I don't think a major news network should be doing this. They should report the news instead of finding the identity of someone who made a meme, and then threatening to reveal their identity if they didn't apologize.

*Sigh* I don't get y'all. I don't think news organizations should be threatening to reveal people's identities for saying random things on the internet. Let individuals do that. Not organizations with worldwide clout. We can go after people using our judicial system when they do something wrong, rather than do it throughout public shaming. I've seen enough cases of people being blamed for things they didn't do (remember that Reddit Boston Marathon fiasco?) to the point where I think the news shouldn't be doing stuff like this, since they have way more clout than a message board.

I don't care that he has crappy views. I don't think a major news network should be doing this. They should report the news instead of finding the identity of someone who made a meme, and then threatening to reveal their identity if they didn't apologize.

Until you understand that that's not what is happening here, you'll never get it.

hodgy100

That isnt what is happening.

I don't know how you can't see that in the article. They literally say they aren't posting his or her personal identity BECAUSE they apologized. That heavily implies they would publish their name if they didn't.

CNN did not use a threat of doxxing to force him to apologize. They deny it, and for the record, so does he. They called and asked for comment - as is their right. He freaked out and deleted everything. They chose not to publish his name - as is their right.

Say you get caught shoplifting, and you put the goods back on the shelf while begging the storeowner not to call the cops. If he cuts you some slack, he retains the right to call them in the future. You haven't been coerced in any meaningful way.

That's not what happened.

Also lol our judicial system doesn't do shit for the alt-right's Internet presence give me a break.

Boston marathon is also a false equivalence because we have proof the same guy who made the gif made those other terrible posts.

They did this? When?

I keep hearing this repeated with no receipts.

How would that have played out, exactly?

Renna Hazel

This is why I trust the news more to provide accurate information, rather than let people on message boards uncover these people.

CNN wasn't threatening anything and the Redditor made himself news by basically being a major factor in the President's social media message.

Alucrid

Banned

when everything you think is happening isn't actually happening

moomoo14

When CNN literally says in their article that they have the right to reveal his or her identity if he or she retracts statements they made, then can you blame me for coming to the conclusion that they're threatening him or her? That's what it sounds like to me. It sounds like blackmail.

But this is why people have warned that Trump doesn't understand the power of the presidency. He has the ability to make anyone a national figure by just quoting them and then that person becomes an involuntary participant which the press could look into.

When CNN literally says in their article that they have the right to reveal his or her identity if he or she retracts statements they made, then can you blame me for coming to the conclusion that they're threatening him or her? That's what it sounds like to me. It sounds like blackmail.
Yes, we can. Because people have corrected you and others tons of times and yet y'all keep saying the same thing.

Alucrid

Banned

i can blame you for having poor comprehension

like how much did you even read? they clearly state "him" in the article several times. it sounds like you don't actually care.

Top Bottom