• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 8 should cost $1,500?

LoL the idea of paying this much for phone is completely hilarious for me. I payed around 600 euro for Note 2 and that's maximum I'd ever pay for top of line phone.

kmfdmpig

Well the idea is to keep making cheaper upgrades but introduce more high-end options to try and extract as much value as they can from people that are willing to pay more. This is kind of a market experiment if it works out it's more money for apple. If it fails they'll just kill it.

It'll be interesting to see how well it pans out if they do it. If I were them I'd worry that it might be a tough sell to market the mainline iPhone as a premium product when there's a higher tier iPhone. iPhones can already be fairly expensive (at least with additional storage), so I wonder if the more expensive version could damage the mainstream version's sales.

KillLaCam

Banned
Apple worship is cult-like, as can be seen here.

The guy saying only poor people don't buy Apple and they hate Apple owners for it was the best IMO.

Yeah like I have no problem buying expensive tech. I barely ever go for the cheaper model of any tech I get. But that price jump compared to what you get for it is ridiculous. $1500 wouldn't even bother me if it wasn't almost double the price of the last one.

I call out bullshit when I see it tech things interest me so I have no problem doing that. I'm not here to argue features. The features, my preference for Android over iOS and, and the nice hardware are the reasons I chose the S7 Edge (Exynos). It's the best phone I've owned mainly because of the design, battery life, and camera. The problem with you is you think that me calling you on how false statements is proof that I run around as a fanboy warrior for Apple. Like I've said, I just call out bullshit. The website you doesn't provide good in depth reviews.

. In fact the ONLY android phone that can compete with the iPhone in real world performance is the One Plus 5 and it has 8 GB RAM.
I prefer Samsung to Apple because of how their hardware and the ecosystem (fridge,tv, lights, ect). I think I'll finally like how the new Iphone might look but I don't think I could ever go back to a flat phone again.

IOS is miles above any other mobile operating system, especially in optimization. Its not even an argument. Sure android is more open and ill use those extra features but the average consumer isn't. I'll always say Iphones are better for most ppl even if I don't prefer Apple.

One Plus is the best bang for the buck though. I just don't like stock android

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
It'll be interesting to see how well it pans out if they do it. If I were them I'd worry that it might be a tough sell to market the mainline iPhone as a premium product when there's a higher tier iPhone. iPhones can already be fairly expensive (at least with additional storage), so I wonder if the more expensive version could damage the mainstream version's sales.

Yeah, they've got themselves in a bit of a pickle with this design not being across the line this year.

The 8 is going to completely eclipse the redone 7's and reduce them to the equivalent of the C version which didn't sell well so it has to be priced a fair bit higher to keep them attractive. Too much though and that limits demand, but then that might be linked to yield anyway.

It's a tricky balancing act and could go either way really. My gut feeling just says it's going to be lower or at least on par with what people expect. Like the iPad, it's not going to shock except maybe in the storage options.

The 8 is a long-needed reboot for the iPhone, I don't think they're going to risk fucking it up by all the talk being about price. High-end but not super high-end.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is the 7S going to be a 6 design for the 4th year in a row? That’ll really be disappointing if they don’t refresh that, and only the 8 gets a new look.

I need a new iPhone (6s is promised to my son in August). I don’t want a 7S if it just looks like a 6 - might as well just buy a cheap 6s again. Maybe get the 8 on apples upgrade plan in the knowledge it may be a short one and I’ll replace it next year?

rambis

Banned
FYI, the 7+ actually renders at 2208x1242. And yes that is already factored into GPU benchmarks — that's why you see "offscreen" 1080p in GFXBench and others.
I doubt the majority of benchmarks factor resolution, particularly the ones quoted in this thread. But ok, 2.7m pixels vs 4.4m.

And yes the best way to benchmark is to limit resolution. 3Dmark for example benchmarks at 720p which completely eliminates res and no suprise the S8+ smokes the 7+.

https://youtu.be/u95rnPQy5qQ

And an S8 free of bloat scores over 200k on antutu which is the highest recorded.

https://vimeo.com/208948901

The A10 is a pretty insane chip. There is nothing out there right now that can give better single-thread performance which is the most important metric for every day use on a phone.
Most important for every day use on an iphone*

Apple only allows one app running at all times and suspends any others. You have to manually suspend apps on Android or use a low power preset. Multicore is vastly more important if you have multiple apps running which I would guess 95% of Android users do because manually closing apps at every switch is a pain.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is the 7S going to be a 6 design for the 4th year in a row? That’ll really be disappointing if they don’t refresh that, and only the 8 gets a new look.

I need a new iPhone (6s is promised to my son in August). I don’t want a 7S if it just looks like a 6 - might as well just buy a cheap 6s again. Maybe get the 8 on apples upgrade plan in the knowledge it may be a short one and I’ll replace it next year?

Yeah, I think the one thing we can be sure of in amongst all the conflicting rumours is the 7 is being trotted out again as an upspecced 7S to fill the holes the new design can't fill yet.

Maybe with an OLED screen if you're very lucky.

Barzul

If they want people to buy the 7s and 7s plus, then don't release this Pro phone period. It's going to be risky move.

giga

I doubt the majority of benchmarks factor resolution, particularly the ones quoted in this thread. But ok, 2.7m pixels vs 4.4m.

And yes the best way to benchmark is to limit resolution. 3Dmark for example benchmarks at 720p which completely eliminates res and no suprise the S8+ smokes the 7+.

https://youtu.be/u95rnPQy5qQ

And an S8 free of bloat scores over 200k on antutu which is the highest recorded.

https://vimeo.com/208948901

Most important for every day use on an iphone*

Apple only allows one app running at all times and suspends any others. You have to manually suspend apps on Android or use a low power preset. Multicore is vastly more important if you have multiple apps running which I would guess 95% of Android users do because manually closing apps at every switch is a pain.
Which benchmarks in this thread? Haven't seen much despite me asking for them from a certain poster.

I don't care for 3DMark Sling Shot because of how it measures the physics test on cores and frequency rather than real world performance. Anandtech explains it here:

Like Ice Storm, the physics test is still basically a chart of devices ranked by cores multiplied by max frequency, and you can see that the iPhones have improved very little over the years, with the improvements tracking closely to Apple's increases in CPU clock speed. This comes down to the test being designed in such a way that there's little instruction level parallelism to exploit due to memory dependencies, which puts Apple's wide dual core CPU at a disadvantage. While it is certainly a valid test situation, it's not really reflective of actual 3D game performance because you would generally not write a game in such a way that it cannot exploit the performance of its target hardware.

Try GFXBench offscreen at 1080p.

The mental gymnastics in here are amazing.

Apples platform advantage has always been their closed design. They make up for sometimes inferior hardware by having the thinnest software layer on mobiles are able to "outperform" more bloated devices at lower resolutions. The resolution thing is significant. 7+ is 1080p, 2.07million pixels, Samsung S8 is "Quad HD+" at 4.26 million pixels, more than double. This absolutely has to be factored in any benchmark or comparison.

These are basic computer science principles, anybody getting defensive ot flustered should probably examine themselves.

I had Applekins losing their minds over pointing that out 2 pages ago. Tread lightly around the cultists, friend 🤣

Guess Who

Banned
It's worth nothing that there are basically two different Galaxy S8s, one with an Exynos and one with a Snapdragon, so if folks want to get into benchmark wars they should probably consider that.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
From the rumored specs I can't see how they could justify it outside of Apple being Apple. Besides it getting the Touch ID in the screen I don't see how this is going to be some giant leap over the S8 that's been out for months.

giga

It's worth nothing that there are basically two different Galaxy S8s, one with an Exynos and one with a Snapdragon, so if folks want to get into benchmark wars they should probably consider that.

Yeah, I picked the Adreno over the Mali because I assume most of us are in the US but also because it does better on GFXBench.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I had Applekins losing their minds over pointing that out 2 pages ago. Tread lightly around the cultists, friend 🤣

I don't know why you keep ignoring Giga's posts about resolution benchmarking.
It's like 4 or 5 times now. You really think tests don't take this into account?

Bustanen

Looking only at component costs is not how it works friend. Go educate yourself before spewing such nonsense around.
Yeah those R&D costs must be in tens of billions. That fingerprint reader under glass took at least a billion alone to develop lol.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yeah those R&D costs must be in tens of billions. That fingerprint reader under glass took at least a billion alone to develop lol.

If it even exist, don't current rumors say the abandoned it? (Which I still don't understand, just put it on the power button on the side!)

I don't know why you keep ignoring Giga's posts about resolution benchmarking.
It's like 4 or 5 times now. You really think tests don't take this into account?
Refer to above post where S8 beats the iPhone when a accounting for resolution and keep outrage to a minimum pls.

My point wasn't even centered on tiny numbers on a benchmark. My point was that Apple charges more for inferior products. The S7 and S8 have vastly superior screens, batteries, etc, etc.

But even if you want to argue peanuts the iPhone barely comes out on top, If it even does.

Ascenion

Honestly it's about social status to me. Samsung lacks that. I mean I'm a millennial, if you don't have an iPhone you don't have shit and everyone basically silently agrees with this. I'm gonna eventually have to start buying two phones. One for show and one for function. But yeah it will sell easily at $1500. Every girl I know will have to have one. When I was in college if you made the text bubbles turn green everyone basically thought less of you.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
If it even exist, don't current rumors say the abandoned it? (Which I still don't understand, just put it on the power button on the side!)

The rumours keep going backwards and forwards, looking more likely than less likely at the moment I'd say. The case leaks usually give quite a bit away. Once it gets in production we'll know it all soon enough.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Imagine the phone going for $1000 a year after release on Craigslist. People will be financing their Craigslist purchases with personal loans lmao

Redd

Honestly it's about social status to me. Samsung lacks that. I mean I'm a millennial, if you don't have an iPhone you don't have shit and everyone basically silently agrees with this. I'm gonna eventually have to start buying two phones. One for show and one for function. But yeah it will sell easily at $1500. Every girl I know will have to have one. When I was in college if you made the text bubbles turn green everyone basically thought less of you.

Wtf

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The biggest sticker shock is gonna be sales tax for many.

Even on monthly payment plans you still have to pay sales tax upfront. So your talking over $100 bucks up front + higher monthly rate.

If you're in a state like California where a lot of counties have sales tax rates up to 10% that's like $150 up front + like 60 bucks a month.

There will be many who are willing to pay it though. That's fine.

rambis

Banned
Which benchmarks in this thread? Haven't seen much despite me asking for them from a certain poster.

I don't care for 3DMark Sling Shot because of how it measures the physics test on cores and frequency rather than real world performance. Anandtech explains it here:

Try GFXBench offscreen at 1080p.
Ah ok. I would assume that affects the Android tests as well, no?

As far as those gfxbench numbers, in the 4 comparable scenes it seems to be split evenly, even though I doubt they did anything for bloat on the S8 which can matter significantly looking at Anatutu.

Monocle

Yes imagine the wonders Apple could accomplish with a $1500 iPhone.

A headphone jack, a USB port, an accurate keyboard...

Vorg

Banned
What exactly will people do on these 1000+ euro phones that they can't do on a 300/400 euro one? Are you planning on running Autocad or visual studio on these things and just work exclusively on the phone or what? It's literally paying for nothing.

Ash735

Between this, Samsung and Google's "I'm an iPhone too" Pixel, I seriously think they're just trying to mark it up as much as possible because they know most people will throw money at it and then defend their purchase/brag about it.

I'll wait to see what Pixel 2 has, but I think I'm going OnePlus from end of this year.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Refer to above post where S8 beats the iPhone when a accounting for resolution and keep outrage to a minimum pls.

My point wasn't even centered on tiny numbers on a benchmark. My point was that Apple charges more for inferior products. The S7 and S8 have vastly superior screens, batteries, etc, etc.

But even if you want to argue peanuts the iPhone barely comes out on top, If it even does.

I understand why that test shows it's better as explained in the Anandtech article that Giga linked to.

As far as your point about price. Yes there's an Apple premium tax, but who cares?

Damn. Casuals are iPhone users, confirmed. Let me enjoy my Android ecosystem in piece.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

lol, America.

I understand why that test shows it's better as explained in the Anandtech article that Giga linked to.

As far as your point about price. Yes there's an Apple premium tax, but who cares?

People that want a superior product that doesn't include a horrid, restrictive, unmodifiable OS that's part of an overpriced walled garden?

Plus I'd never want to be associated with tools like this ^

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I haven't been really impressed with a jump in tech since the iPhone 4. I'm still using an iPhone 6 and don't really feel like I'm missing much tbh.

An OLED would be nice but for that kind of money I'd rather buy an OLED TV.

Husker86

As crazy as it sounds, all my family switched to iPhones for iMessage and is annoyed anytime they see a green bubble now.
I'll never understand why people want to lock their messaging of all things to one ecosystem. There are so many options that work just as well across all different computers and devices. I disable iMessage when I have my iPhone as my active phone.

Top Bottom