• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr Plinkett reviews Ghostbusters (2016)

Kenstar

Yeah, sometimes it's the fans that ruin things.

See: console wars

allegations of SONY PAYING for a dev to NOT make a game on XBOX

NINTENDO is holding bayonetta 2 HOSTAGE to FORCE you to buy their DUMB WII U BABY TOY with NO GAMES

It's also the thing where if something is universally regarded as GOOD, you WANT to experience it for yourself. If it's BAD, you want to know why it's so bad and are more interested in seeing what all the hoopla is about

Like I wouldn't be as interested in RLM gushing about Mad Max: Fury Road 2: 2 Mad 2 Furiosa for 2 hours spoiling the entire plot. I'd rather watch the damn thing in a theater, I know I'll like it.

I will NEVER watch Emoji Movie ever, and if I can see a humorous and detailed longform takedown of it it's killing 2 birds with 1 stone

that's why you'll never see a plinkett review of a fast/furious movie; not too overhyped and well regarded to be worth taking down a peg, not actually terrible enough to warrant an hour long rant against it

Marcel

This reasoning falls apart when you realize some people DO enjoy thing you don't like. Like Valerian or whatever. People RARELY post "I just didn't enjoy it" versus "It's complete shit. Hate." If a majority of your posts are critical, not complimentary maybe take a step back. Think about why you're posting in the first place.

"I like thing", "ok".jpg

Afrocious

This reasoning falls apart when you realize some people DO enjoy thing you don't like. Like Valerian or whatever. People RARELY post "I just didn't enjoy it" versus "It's complete shit. Hate." If a majority of your posts are critical, not complimentary maybe take a step back. Think about why you're posting in the first place.

I like how you singled me out as opposed to others.

Also, you're now talking about two different things - you have people giving criticism and explaining why, and now you're talking about the nerd hate stuff that someone else pointed out, rightfully, as bad.

Get over yourself.

EDIT: Also so what if people like things? Who cares? The world's not over because two people have different opinions on a movie.

Why do threads degenerate to this same discussion? There is literally no new ground covered.

Hot damn the product placement in this movie is egregious.

For whate very reason, I am completely immune to product placement in movies. 99% of the time, I won't notice it. I didn't notice a single brand watching the movie. Of course NOW I can't unsee it.

Liked it. Always loved how in-depth these videos can get with deconstructing why a movie doesn't work.

Feig must spend a small fortune on suits.

Marcel

Also, you're now talking about two different things - you have people giving criticism and explaining why, and now you're talking about the nerd hate stuff that someone else pointed out, rightfully, as bad.

Get over yourself.

EDIT: Also so what if people like things? Who cares? The world's not over because two people have different opinions on a movie.

Why do threads degenerate to this same discussion? There is literally no new ground covered.

People who choose to demonstratively (usually defensively too) like things think they are some kind of bastion of goodness and sense when they have similarly warped logic as those who choose to hate everything out of hand.

Catvoca

Banned
This was the best Plinkett review in a while. Really glad it didn't go into the whole "Sony used sexism to market the movie!" Or make any bad jokes about the sexism controversy. It just focused on the movie and critiqued it in an entertaining way which is what exactly what I was hoping for. Good shit.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!

Get over yourself.

I didn't intend to single you out. If that appears the case I apologize.

I just.. oh God here I go. I remember GAF as a foundry of awesomeness. As a source of information and opinion that I would find constantly relevant, entertainmentimg and refreshing. And *something* HAS changed. I've met Evilore a number of times and he's consistently grateful and gracious. And handsome and typically surrounded by really, really attractive girls. That's probably a product of the environments I meet him in but whatever. This is HIS joint. We're all just pulling up bar stools. But something is rotten in Denmark. Maybe the negativity is a reflection of the times. But I don't like it. And I'm going to say so.

LOL at judging a fanbase by youtube comments. If you have a problem with RLM fans how about you directly criticize the ones in this very thread. There are plenty.

Idk what you mean. Are you saying the opinions of the fans here are more valid because the discourse is much less toxic?

Those comments are how RLM allows themselves to be represented on their channel, right?

I never said all the fans are like that. I even specified that maybe it was just a YouTube thing. But you can't deny that those people on YouTube are fans.

rashbeep

Banned
I just.. oh God here I go. I remember GAF as a foundry of awesomeness. As a source of information and opinion that I would find constantly relevant, entertainmentimg and refreshing. And *something* HAS changed. I've met Evilore a number of times and he's consistently grateful and gracious. And handsome and typically surrounded by really, really attractive girls. That's probably a product of the environments I meet him in but whatever. This is HIS joint. We're all just pulling up bar stools. But something is rotten in Denmark. Maybe the negativity is a reflection of the times. But I don't like it. And I'm going to say so.

??????

SpaceWolf

Banned

...what on god's green earth...

Idk what you mean. Are you saying the opinions of the fans here are more valid because the discourse is much less toxic?

Those comments are how RLM allows themselves to be represented on their channel, right?

I never said all the fans are like that. I even specified that maybe it was just a YouTube thing. But you can't deny that those people on YouTube are fans.

It's YouTube comments and they got a forum that is moderated. They are not presenting themselves in any way by what YouTube comments appear on their videos.

Lol love your post :)

Don't worry too much. If you love it then you love it. Nothing is gonna change that.

Evilore's been cheating on you. I'm sorry I had to be the one the break the news to you. He says he's just not feeling it anymore. The magic was gone. Yeah, you two had something great going on years ago, but it's no longer there. Evilore's trying to slowly break the news to you. That's why things don't feel right anymore. I'm sorry I had to be the one to break the news to you. Evilore really wanted to do it himself.

Afrocious

Fans can be weird people. Fans come in all shapes, sizes, backgrounds, and other interests. I liked what I saw in My Little Pony way back when, but my reaction to the fanbase was so strong that I didn't even bother watching more. I didn't want to be associated with them.

When you have two middle aged white dudes talking about movies on youtube, who have the ability to both praise and criticize in detailed efforts, some of the youtube slime is going to attach onto them - especially given the past Plinkett reviews with their style of humor, Scientist Man delving into Sony propagating a victim narrative for publicity, and their comments on diversity if it's done right.

I think there are alt-right fans who look at RLM who praise the above because that's what they want to see unfortunately - to fit their narrative that everything is too PC. The irony is that, from my stance at least, RLM only cares about if a movie is good and the sum of its parts.

Marcel

3ru1zyl.gif

Is that a copy paste I don't know about?

Marcel

This thread took a weird turn.

Yeah it's weird to see someone basically type up a wet dream they had about the owner of a gaming forum and try to tie it into a shaky "people who dislike things are ruining my life" argument. Wild stuff.

You are beautiful.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I think the negativity we see in social media and definitely on GAF is extremely different than a critique that takes time to explain it's displeasure with a film. It's an educated critique done in the most uneducated way.

One a separate note, I think TVTropes has made a lot of the internet lazy in their criticism. There is a lot of "it's a trope therefore it's bad"

Sephzilla

Jim-Carrey-What-the-hell-are-you-talking-about.gif

This comment takes more turns than a Star Cup Mario Kart track

Afrocious

And while we're on the subject, why does Chris Struckmann unease me? Another white dude yes, but it's almost as if he relishes in that fact - especially when he starts mimicking other people. He'll even say he's not trying to be offensive, but I don't buy it 100%.

I enjoyed the review, can't disagree that all the film's problems came from Sony and the co-writers. I kinda want to buy the blu ray just to listen to the whole commentary track.

I'm trying to fix it :(

Don't blame yourself. Its more the fault of certain moderators encouraging this behavior by shitposting instead of actually moderating.

I think the reason the 2016 Ghostbusters went super improv crazy was because it's widely believed/known that Bill Murray ad-libbed a lot of Venkman's dialogue in the original Ghostbusters. But it was only Murray doing ad-libbing, the rest of the cast stuck to the script, and Murray mostly ad-libbed in a way that stayed in character.

So basically Fieg missed the point

Correct.

You already have a tag, my guy. Relax.

This was the best Plinkett review in a while. Really glad it didn't go into the whole "Sony used sexism to market the movie!" Or make any bad jokes about the sexism controversy. It just focused on the movie and critiqued it in an entertaining way which is what exactly what I was hoping for. Good shit.

I'm sure they knew full well that if they gave even the slightest opening for people to make discussion of the review about the shitstorm surrounding the movie rather than the movie itself then nobody would pay any attention to any of the points they made about the actual movie. That's why on top of not mentioning it at all they made sure to point out that the actresses playing the main characters were talented people who were clearly not the problem with the film.

JoeInky

It's weird seeing someone say they want NeoGAF to be more of a hugbox when I think it's already too much of one.

Opinions are weird.

sangreal

Edit: Just remembered he makes at least two explicit references to Melissa McCarthy being fat and says "fatso". I do like his comedic review style but didn't see the sarcasm or wit in the way he mentioned that (twice in the first half of the video that I've seen). Was it a joke? Seemed just like he was being a dick for no good reason in the way it came across. Totally unnecessary and harsh.

The point is that it's what she is often reduced to in the movie itself

datbapple

Banned
movie always looked bad, but this review was really good in breaking down why it was so bad. you cant just improv a whole fucking movie! the papa johns scene is on the same level as the popeyes chicken scenes in little nicky.

kMgBvKI.gif

movie always looked bad, but this review was really good in breaking down why it was so bad. you cant just improv a whole fucking movie! the papa johns scene is on the same level as the popeyes chicken scenes in little nicky.

I take it you must not be a fan of Iron Man?

Tagyhag

Good review.

While I thought the movie was at least ok, Feig really fucked it up.

You have so much talent in the 4 main cast, and you write such a mediocre script. They deserved better and they could have done much better.

Marcel

This thread is now about that amazing evilore with hot girls post which I hope gets turned into a gaf milhouse levels of meme

It reminds me of the beginning of The Assassination of Jesse James where they show Robert Ford having a blatantly fanboyish and slightly homoerotic obsession with Jesse James.

jonezer4

he also reviewed titanic, avatar, baby's day out, indiana jones 4, and cop dog

For anyone interested, all his reviews are catalogued and easy to find on RLM's site.

My God. Do we ever love hating things these days. How did nerd culture become so vicious?

This was a really well thought out and constructed criticism that probably took well north of 100 hours for them to compose and complete. It's ironic that the people who despise reviews like this are much more guilty of blindly hating/dimissing something (the review) without giving it a chance than the actual critic.

I have to agree with just about everything said in the video.

They really ruined Kristen Wiig's character. She should have played the serious scientist
or straight man or the skeptic while the other characters played the goof balls. I end up being embarrassed/annoyed with her, not cheering for her.

JoeInky

Nobody was a fan of Iron Man.

AND, it does have the best pizza scene in the MCU.

I enjoyed the scene in Sony's Iron Man when Tony gets back and asks to go get a delicious McDonalds™ Cheeseburger from McDonalds™, it's the perfect pick me up food when you've recently been a captive of terrorists, but don't worry, you don't need to be a billionaire like Tony to afford them!

Sanjuro

I enjoyed the scene in Sony's Iron Man when Tony gets back and asks to go get a delicious McDonalds™ Cheeseburger from McDonalds™, it's the perfect pick me up food when you've recently been a captive at terrorists, but don't worry, you don't need to be a billionaire like Tony to afford them!

It's Burger King!

91tBDRv.png

Top Bottom