• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Special Stages, Bonus Stages, & Time Attack Shown Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal27

Banned
Definitely getting this on my Switch. Portable mode makes it no question. The Dpad will take some work, but classic Sonic has never been a SUPER precise game to me anyway.

Once the SNES30Pro releases this will be a non-issue though!

http://www.tssznews.com/2017/03/10/...es-40-ideas-new-or-not-implemented-back-then/

They said the game would have more levels than Generations (so at least 10), and it'd be on par with S3&K for length.

With that in mind, 12 levels doesn't seem like a bad bet. If each of the Hard Boiled Heavies gets their own level, that would give you 5 original zones and 7 remixed ones. Unless they pull from some really obscure portable titles or something, I expect them to double dip on which zones are represented.

Sonic 1 - Green Hill
Sonic 2 - Chemical Plant, ???
Sonic CD - Stardust Speedway
Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Flying Battery, ???

Maybe something else from Sonic 1? Hydrocity is rumored as the Sonic 3 level.

J@hranimo

Banned
The Act 2s of the returning zones feel like brand new zones to me level design wise so I'm good with that 60/40 split.

There should be at least 5 brand new zones though.

Buckle

Hate that they're reusing old levels even if they are remixed. Played through Sonic 1-3 and Knuckles so many times I feel like I already know every inch of them.

Other than that, really looking forward to this. New stages look great.

Berordn

Eh. They would've been most of a year apart if Mania hadn't been delayed. They could delay Forces as well, but given the target demographic I don't think missing the holidays for a Q1 release has ever worked out well for them.

I don't think Forces would really be hurting for another year of development anyway!

(But yes I know why that wouldn't work)

http://www.tssznews.com/2017/03/10/...es-40-ideas-new-or-not-implemented-back-then/

They said the game would have more levels than Generations (so at least 10), and it'd be on par with S3&K for length.

With that in mind, 12 levels doesn't seem like a bad bet. If each of the Hard Boiled Heavies gets their own level, that would give you 5 original zones and 7 remixed ones. Unless they pull from some really obscure portable titles or something, I expect them to double dip on which zones are represented.

Sonic 1 - Green Hill
Sonic 2 - Chemical Plant, ???
Sonic CD - Stardust Speedway
Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Flying Battery, ???

Maybe something else from Sonic 1? Hydrocity is rumored as the Sonic 3 level.

I hope every Mania sequel uses the same formula of brand new levels and remixed ones. I would really love it if they did a mix of popular and obscure levels to remix in the next game.

I spoke to Sega PR yesterday, and she implied that review codes won't go out until closer to the release date. Neither I nor two of my close colleagues have received anything yet.

I heard the same thing. Well Sega Bits have their game already. Maybe they are from EU? In that case EU press already has them.

I'm surprisingly pumped for this game. I mean, it's more or less a spiritual successor to the first Sonic trilogy. If people have problems with this entry I think it'll speak more on their opinions of the original series than not.

That is, unless we're dealing with that floating island in the middle of a long and flat stretch of land nonsense.

I hope every Mania sequel uses the same formula of brand new levels and remixed ones. I would really love it if they did a mix of popular and obscure levels to remix in the next game.
I'd kind of prefer all new levels for a Mania 2 (since it would likely hit on some of the same stock Sonic tropes anyway), although I'd certainly be down for anything Taxman and Stealth cook up next time. They've more than earned my confidence.

But more than anything right now I want console ports of 1, 2, CD and a remaster of 3K (I don't care that deeply about the music Sega, you can replace it with samples of Michael Jackson's farts and I'll still play it) given a physical release as a bundle with Mania.

RRockman

Banned
Good thing I got this for the Switch version of the game!

8bitdo-3-998446.jpg

This is sacrilege.

Segata Sanshiro has been notified and is enroute.

It was nice knowing you.

lol, it's really funny to see how times have changed.

Already bought on Steam and have the PS4 CE pre-ordered. First time double dipping on launch, ever.

With a terrible d-pad.

I can do without the dpad

That's a shame, it's the only reason I'd pick one up. I'm doing "OK" with the joy-cons on some NeoGeo fighters, but with a good d-pad it would be much better.

For what it's worth, I haven't had any problems with my Switch Pro Controller's D-pad except for Ultra Street Fighter II. It's worked like a charm for every other game I've used it in. I'm not saying the issues are overblown, but it seems to be a limited manufacturing issue as I (and apparently several other people in this thread) have no complaints about ours.

I just wanna say, I'm reviewing this game, I finished this game 100% earlier today after a few days of play - all Chaos Emeralds, all unlockables, etc - aside from anything that might be unlocked from Tails/Knuckles alone runs - and seriously, if you can keep the secrets, do. As an old Sonic fan I cheered and hooted out loud at some of the things in this game - bosses, zone selection, etc, plus the gimmicks in the new versions of old zones. I honestly think it's worth going in not knowing.

If you're a hardcore fan who will relish the little references or even the bigger ones like zone selection, it's worth seeing it first time in your playthrough. Even saying [zone x] from [game y] is in it and in Act 2 it has the [thing] from [thing] in it is a massive downgrade on actually seeing it play out via the act transition or whatever.

I just wanna say, I'm reviewing this game, I finished this game 100% earlier today after a few days of play - all Chaos Emeralds, all unlockables, etc - aside from anything that might be unlocked from Tails/Knuckles alone runs - and seriously, if you can keep the secrets, do. As an old Sonic fan I cheered and hooted out loud at some of the things in this game - bosses, zone selection, etc, plus the gimmicks in the new versions of old zones. I honestly think it's worth going in not knowing.

If you're a hardcore fan who will relish the little references or even the bigger ones like zone selection, it's worth seeing it first time in your playthrough. Even saying [zone x] from [game y] is in it and in Act 2 it has the [thing] from [thing] is a massive downgrade on actually seeing it via the act transition or whatever.
Seems like the game delivered for you.

Sonic leaks actually having us avoid the internet.. indeed what a time to be alive.

Got Persona 5 spoiled for me on the most random site. Not taking any chances. Plus this'll be the first Sonic game in 20 years where I head in without knowing the full level roster. 4 days of work/two a days at the gym. I'll survive lol.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car

If you're a hardcore fan who will relish the little references or even the bigger ones like zone selection, it's worth seeing it first time in your playthrough. Even saying [zone x] from [game y] is in it and in Act 2 it has the [thing] from [thing] in it is a massive downgrade on actually seeing it play out via the act transition or whatever.
So is it as great as we all think/hope it will be?

Also, going on vacation in a few hours and coming back home on the 15th. Perfect timing.

Seems like the game delivered for you.

I have a lot to say about the game in many different areas and directions, but I can't until Monday. The surprises are worth being surprised by in-game, though, I want to underline that to save some people in this thread ruining it for themselves.

brb smashing my computer with a sledgehammer

RK128

I don't mind getting things spoiled for me really, but I'm overjoyed you loved the game (seemingly based on your comments here). I remembered feeling this way when reviewing games last year (Grand Kingdom and Poi come to mind), so looking forward to your review!

I was unable to get a review copy (SEGA's Sonic PR team is very hard to get in touch with), but I plan on getting it very close to launch. Can't wait to finally play Mania next week :D.

Eblo

I have a lot to say about the game in many different areas and directions, but I can't until Monday. The surprises are worth being surprised by in-game, though, I want to underline that to save some people in this thread ruining it for themselves.

Thank you. Time to go get a blindfold and some scissors to cut my ethernet cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom