• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Special Stages, Bonus Stages, & Time Attack Shown Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonic Team needs to copy what they can from these guys. 3D Sonic, Tails and Knuckles should copy these designs to a T. These designs are really the pinnacle of Sonic design.

Ferr986

Sonic Team needs to copy what they can from these guys. 3D Sonic, Tails and Knuckles should copy these designs to a T. These designs are really the pinnacle of Sonic design.

They already did

c2604017095a920727be2e92223f2110.jpg

jmartoine

I actually really like the shading on Sonic's Mania sprite. The old sprites from 1 and 2 look really flat compared to it.
The shading looks good but to me both Sonic and Knuckles look washed out. Taking the shading and adding a darker colour palate for both of them so they're dark blue/ red rather than light blue/ salmon would be perfect.

I'm still in some disbelief that this game is even happening. This is 100% what I use to rave that Sonic Team should have been doing back when I use to spend countless hours on Sonic forums (sega's boards, Sonic Team's BBS, etc.). There were some dark days on those forums, especially as the series spiraled after SA2.

I'm almost not letting myself get too excited because we've been burned before with games like Sonic 4... but this looks like the real deal.

They already did

c2604017095a920727be2e92223f2110.jpg

Tails maybe, but classic Sonic's design is very different. Sonic CD intro is GOAT design, and I'm still shocked that they're using it. The only other source that got close to these designs was the Sonic OVA.

Pizza

For a sequel I would like them to use the Sonic 3 style of sprites this looks good:

images

Nooooooooo sonic's 3 design is the main reason I didn't play that game until this year (found a hack that let me replace the character sprites)

Keep that design far away from sonic forever plz. Itd be cool if they had the option to swap out the character sprites though, since I know a lot of people like 3's best.

Since 70%(?) of the game is based on preexisting levels or /unused concepts/ does anyone else think that Mirage Saloon is one of those stages? It's technically a new zone, but it absolutely has Dust Hill's aesthetics. Except fully realized and expanded on. That'd mean we could potentially see some absolutely wild stages in that 70%. A Mirage Saloon tier reimagining of Wood Zone would be EXCELLENT.

Honestly I'm unashamed to admit that I'm in love with Knuckles Chaotix. Mania Knuckles is the GOAT Knux imo. Same with sonic and tails. Tails is expressive af and I love him

Berordn

Since 70%(?) of the game is based on preexisting levels or /unused concepts/ does anyone else think that Mirage Saloon is one of those stages? It's technically a new zone, but it absolutely has Dust Hill's aesthetics. Except fully realized and expanded on. That'd mean we could potentially see some absolutely wild stages in that 70%. A Mirage Saloon tier reimagining of Wood Zone would be EXCELLENT.

I think they outright confirmed Mirage Saloon is based on the unused Desert Dazzle concept from the CD remake.

Wood Zone basically has nothing for them to re-imagine (other than being a level set in a forest, obviously), so any concept they create based on that would be totally new, not that I'm against that in any way.

We already got the description from Mania's Steam page that the game will have split-screen competitive multiplayer, but this pagescan from this Famitsu interview gives us our first screenshots of them in action (albeit they are very small). Playable zones are based off the main campaign like Sonic 2's Vs. Mode.

59897bcc07b77.jpg

Pizza

I think they outright confirmed Mirage Saloon is based on the unused Desert Dazzle concept from the CD remake.

Wood Zone basically has nothing for them to re-imagine (other than being a level set in a forest, obviously), so any concept they create based on that would be totally new, not that I'm against that in any way.

Fuck yes!!! I thought they said that but I didn't want to lie. Dust Hill had next to nothing too, I really hope they go as wild as they did for Mirage Saloon if they decided to make something out of Wood Zone.

Guess Who

Banned

It’s clearly based on Desert Dazzle - lots of the art is directly lifted from it - but there’s a lot that’s new. The entire saloon aspect of the level (the guns, the piano, the barstools, etc.) wasn’t part of Desert Dazzle.

ZServ

This releases the 15th, yeah? Is it hitting Switch the same day as the other platforms? If not, I'll have to double dip for this.

Ferr986

Desert Dazzle was just Taxman idea though, it's not related to the original CD game (it's not R2).

Also, I think Dust Hill didn't really exist other than mock ups, but not sure.

GenericUser

This thread reminds me so much of the good old Genesis/mega drive days. So hyped for mania, it's going through the roof. Keep on posting Sonic GAF.

I wonder how and if m is going to extend classic sonics storyline...

Will there be a super tails/super knuckles?

Will hyper Sonic return?

Excited as eff.

Berordn

It’s clearly based on Desert Dazzle - lots of the art is directly lifted from it - but there’s a lot that’s new. The entire saloon aspect of the level (the guns, the piano, the barstools, etc.) wasn’t part of Desert Dazzle.

Right, that was kind of my point with whatever Wood Zone would be. They have a very loose and basic concept for the aesthetics like they had with DD, but in the process for adapting it it'd basically be brand new.

Not a fan of the announcer for the Competition Mode at all. Sounds like an overexcited guy in the office was randomly picked to do it.

That's honestly the biggest complaint I've had with this whole game so far. :p

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Oh lord Competition mode is back?

The brutal, savage gameplay from S2 is amazing. Want to talk about fucking people over...legit this will contend for GOTY for me. Buying it twice on the 15th.

RockmanBN

That's nice. Was hoping for unique levels like in Sonic 3 though.

Eh. The Sonic 3 2P levels were incredibly short which is why they had you do around 5 laps. Music was great. I prefer playing through full stages like in this mode. Though that screen crunch is ugly and something I'm not nostalgic about.

Eh. The Sonic 3 2P levels were incredibly short which is why they had you do around 5 laps. Music was great. I prefer playing through full stages like in this mode. Though that screen crunch is ugly and something I'm not nostalgic about.

I loved the laps, got us to find the most efficient way to get past every little part and then swear whenever we didn't execute it well and lost momentum in subsequent laps.

I think at this point I'll go on a media black out I really want to be surprised I just want to make sure you guys can't preorder this on Switch right??? I'm sure I typed in every kind of sonic and mania combo lol

Piers

I can't see how the sprites of 3 are better than the ones used in mania, specially when you enlarge the image

The key thing that Mania fixed were his inconsistent hand sizes. Even looking at the 1/2 sprites, nerd anger riles within me because of those goofy, tiny hands. It might have been nice if Mania also changes his pointy shoes, the slight contour in 3&K looked more natural.

Branduil

At least that part's easy.

On the rare occasion I replay Sonic 2 GG it's either a good ending in ~30 minutes or a game over on the first boss. :V

Who playtested that game?

You don't even need to use that glitch to get a bunch of lives. Since 1-UP boxes come back after you die in this game, you can easily rack up lives in the first act of Sky High Zone before intentionally killing yourself and doing it again.

So I emailed amazon and they automatically changed my Switch CE to one day delivery to the 16th. While im still bummed its not release date, its ok.

On the other hand my xbox one CE is still on for release date but Im going to cancel that one or did somebody else want it? It was only 53 somethin dollars.. and they arent available anymore.

Shahadan

I don't like this mini boss theme tbh
Reminds me of the cartoon and all I can picture is Scratch and Grounder digging a hole to trap Sonic

Not that I wouldn't want a whole game based around that asap, but
that's not Sonic Mania

I really can't decide what to buy this on.

Switch version I need for that portable screen goodness, but I think it might play better with the PS4 controller. And part of me wants it on Steam...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom