• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waitress poured hot soup on me, restaurant did absolutely nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hex

Banned
So you all feel that apologizing is all a restaurant should do in a situation like this? And I don't see how I'm being a whiney baby when I didn't make an issue of the situation when it happened and I simply asked how others would feel about it.

Yes, that is all that should be required to satisfy a normal person.
If that person is a dick, that person should at least be able to nut up and complain instead of be silent because they do not have the nerve and then go running home to a message board to complain that they did not get the key to the desert case.
If you wanted more, you should have complained.
You would have exposed yourself for an entitled prick, but may have gotten more.

Can't believe some mother fuckers brought up class and race in this thread.
Also op, the expression would be "spilled soup" , not "poured soup" little things like that tip your hand to your mindset.

Not that confusing.
OP was expecting a totally different reaction.
He didn't get it so decided to up the ante and deploy the race card in the hopes of gaining sympathy and/or shame the people mocking him.

I thought it might be something besides the race card, but I couldn't come up with anything, that's why I was confused.
Benefit of the doubt and all that.

If the waitress had been doing a good job up to that point, and it was a genuine accident, an apology would do for me, but it would be nice if they'd offered to pay for dry-cleaning the clothes that got messed up. That seems fair to me. One thing to bear in mind is that some places would deduct any freebies from the waiting staffs tips, so would you be ok for that to happen given it was an unintentional fuck up and she apologised already?

RangerX

Banned
I'm very late to the thread but it was an accident by an individual waitress. She apologized. That would be good enough for me. Why you would be expecting something from the restaurant is beyond me.

Was expecting to read a thread about how they killed your first born. Instead I get a thread about how you paid $15 and got soup on you. If you wanted something done about it, you had your chance.

Dunlop

Shit happens. Would it be nice if the restaurant would have offered you a free meal? Sure. But it's not like a rule or anything.
Still confused as to whether the manager knew about it. I used to manage a restaurant, comping some or all of the meal was a given... If I knew about it

Still confused as to whether the manager knew about it. I used to manage a restaurant, comping some or all of the meal was a given... If I knew about it

Since it says " Many employees saw it, so I'm sure the management knew about it" in the OP, but nothing happened at all after that, I'm pretty sure the manager has no idea.

This. If a restaurant strives to provide the best customer service, they should've compensated in some way, shape, or form for the inconvenience caused to the customer. The OP doesn't sound like complaining at all, just an inquiry. Even in retail the managers tend to compensate their customers with a discount or something if they've had a bad experience. I'm going to chalk it up to manager not knowing it occurred.

Ponn

Banned
I'm so confused. Is it not common in America to comp a mistake even if a fuss isnt made? I live in the UK and any time anything has ever been even slightly wrong with my order the servers have bent over backwards to make things right and I never complain beyond making them aware of the mistake (and sometimes not even that, the restaurant will notice something went wrong and immediately offer to compensate). Like I've experienced this to the point of embarrassment where I've had to insist it's not a big deal and there's no need for further compensation.

Hell, a few months ago I went to McDonald's drive thru and asked for some of the cheesy bites. Paid and when we got to the window they said the vat needed cleaning and literally offered us anything off the menu we wanted. We got some free cheeseburgers and stuff and they kept offering to the point we were like dude this is too much food, we're cool here.

I just find this odd. Then again I don't believe any of my servers have ever been fired for a mistake before (we frequent a lot of the same places) so maybe there's less tolerance for mistakes on management's part.

Millennials have killed customer service in America.

prag16

Banned
Eh, it was an accident and she apologized profusely. And I would assume they replaced the lost soup with a new bowl of soup.

Take the L and move on with life. For all we know they're already gonna take that extra bowl (to replace the spilled bowl) out of her paycheck. Either that or the manager didn't even know about it.

That too. If the customer didn't complain, maybe the waitress didn't want to let the manager know and get in trouble.

Montresor

Hello sir or madam,

I am the owner of the restaurant that the Original Poster visited. We have thoroughly read the thread "Waitress poured hot soup on me, restaurant did absolutely nothing" in this forum. We greatly apologize about the soup that was spilled on your back. At <owner's restaurant> we pride ourselves on compensating our patrons whenever they are wronged in any way. If you could return to <owner's restaurant> with a) original restaurant receipt, with date highlighted, b) shirt that was stained by the soup, c) link to this NeoGAF thread, and d) printed hard-copy of page 1 of this NeoGAF thread... we will then forward that information to our corporate office. After 1-2 weeks, we will review the waitress's qualifications and provide appropriate disciplinary action. If the waitress is terminated, we will send you proof of termination papers at your home address or email address (your preference). If that is satisfactory for you, please make sure to 5-star <owner's restaurant> on Yelp and don't hesitate to come back!

Sincerely,

Restaurant Owner

So you all feel that apologizing is all a restaurant should do in a situation like this? And I don't see how I'm being a whiney baby when I didn't make an issue of the situation when it happened and I simply asked how others would feel about it.

You should try to be either less passive aggressive or more passive aggressive. Either walk right up to the manager and ask for a free meal, or graciously accept the waitress' apology and then never go back to that restaurant under any circumstances whatsoever which is what I would do. It's the people in the middle who don't want to say anything, but then afterwards want to get litigious about what they are owed that make people crazy.

Razorback

OP: Hey guys this waitress poured soup on my at a restaurant and apologised and I accepted the apology. Do you think the restaurant should have compensated me for my trouble?

GAF: Move on, you accepted the apology.

OP: That's not what I'm asking. I've already moved on and just want to know if what the restaurant did was normal or not.

GAF: If you're so upset, you should have complained then, why are you complaining to us now? Being polite is for losers, if you want decent treatment you should have made a fuss.

OP: I'm not upset, it just seems like it would be in their best interest to make sure a customer is happy and has a reason to return.

GAF: Wow, such entitlement. You're nothing but a whiny baby, I hope she did it on purpose.

Daingurse

I think you were entitled to a free meal, but you gotta sometimes press the issue. You could have easily been compensated if you made it a big deal. It's too late now though. I don't think I'd dwell on this too much, man. It's not conducive.

I think you were entitled to a free meal, but you gotta sometimes press the issue. You could have easily been compensated if you made it a big deal. It's too late now though. I don't think I'd dwell on this too much, man. It's not conducive.

Most places have surveys you can do on the back of the receipt. Mentioning the incident would likely have gotten a response back... but at some point it's just being spiteful or needy.

ApharmdX

Banned
EDIT:
People are asking how much soup got spilled on me. It was about the size of a small cereal bowl. The waitress somehow dropped it and the bowl hit my back. I guess the bowl spun around and a good amount landed on my back and chair and the rest on the floor. I probably got like half of the contents of the bowl on my back. And yeah, the threat title should say "spilled" instead of "poured". That was my mistake.

Today was my last day at my internship, and a lot of us interns and other employees went out for lunch. A different waitress accidentally spilled some hot soup on me. It wasn't skin-burning hot or anything, but a bit painful. Plus, getting soup poured on your clothes obviously sucks. The waitress emphatically apologized, and I didn't make a big deal about it. I was going to be leaving for home soon, so I guess that was a good day for it to happen.

The restaurant didn't really do anything though. They charged me for my food, and even had the tip already baked into the bill. Many employees saw it, so I'm sure the management knew about it. It was only a $15 meal, so I wasn't going to make a fuss about it. I'm just surprised that the restaurant didn't acknowledge it at all.

To those that have had similar experiences or work/have worked in restaurants, should I have expected something like the meal being free?

That's a pretty big mess on you. But you should have said something! The server should have comped the meal automatically, sure, but when she didn't, you didn't say shit. So making the thread comes off as whiny at this point.

How did you not say something when she automatically included the gratuity? Large party or not, someone dumps half a bowl of soup on my back you're not getting a tip. Period.

You are going to have trouble in life unless you speak up when stuff like this happens to you.

Rktk

Yeah sure, maybe OP should have said something and maybe wishes they had, but they aren't in the wrong. Some bullshit happened and the restaurant didn't do or acknowledge anything. It's run-of-the-mill how some posters default response to the misfortune of others is to find a reason why they had it coming, why they are a bad person and so deserved it, why they are to blame and in the process being a smug prat about it.

T.v

"Entitled", really?
An apology from the waitress is all he is entitled to, anything beyond that is unnecessary and should not be expected by any halfway decent person.

bunbun777

Oh no. I wouldn't have paid full price. But that's me, you are you. I consider myself pretty understanding of accidents, bad days, whatever but don't let yourself be victimized in even the most trivial ways unless there is some higher benefit to it. In the end it doesn't matter terribly as long as when you left the restaurant you felt good about it.

_edit..."i want to talk to the manager"

You don't even have to be angry or anything, just say those words and watch what happens...

Kevtones

Said it earlier because this is so simple:

1) Waitress was shitty for not comping you. She should, out of common sense, speak to management and comp your meal.

2) You should've spoken up when that didn't happen.

MisterR

It's pretty standard for a restaurant to comp all or at least part of the meal for something like that. The manager probably had no idea.

Sande

Said it earlier because this is so simple:

1) Waitress was shitty for not comping you. She should, out of common sense, speak to management and comp your meal.

2) You should've spoken up when that didn't happen.
Pretty much.

I don't understand where all of this "you're owed nothing and are an asshole if you expect anything (and god forbid dare to bring it up to the staff)" talk is coming from.

Hex

Banned
I would not only expect the meal to be free, but to have my dry cleaning paid for.

Picture of the spill spot on the clothes could have been very enlightening, but OP did not say anything to anyone.
It is a busy restaurant. Obviously nobody else in the OPs party felt it was important enough to speak to the manager or thought it was a big deal.
Does not not strike you or anyone else as odd? If you were with a friend and a huge mess was made as implied, wouldn't you suggest they talk to a manager or wouldn't you say something to a manager? None of these did.
Op was not alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom