• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the most racist thing you've encountered in a video game itself (not real ppl)

Note: this was meant to be about non-online interactions with racist people

While there isn't must that comes to mind for me, I do wonder what's stuff that slipped under my radar that I'd recognize looking back. Obviously, something like Custer's Revenge would count, but there's subtler stuff out there.

On a tangential note, the "deranged" enemies in Arkham Asylum seem in extremely poor form, seemingly without any awareness, for such a big budget game. It wasn't until I recently replayed it that I realized how messed up that depiction of mental illness was.

I know people like this character, but the Cole Train guy from Gears of War always rubbed me the wrong way. Probably not the best example but he's the first that came to mind.

I really want to say that one character in Deus Ex: HR, but that is just the first thing that popped up in my head. Probably something from the NES and SNES days though would be much more crass.
I know people like this character, but the Cole Train guy from Gears of War always rubbed me the wrong way. Probably not the best example but he's the first that came to mind.

Cole Train makes my head explode, such an annoying character with how he is done.

LewieP

When I first arrived in Mexico in Red Dead Redemption, I was just having a look around, shot at some of the wildlife, and explored a bit of the open expanse. Then a bunch of bandits appeared and a shootout/chase ensued.

Once I'd taken care of all the bandits, I walked over to the nearest corpse, intending to loot it. I automatically pressed the appropriate button, but as I did I realised that the context popup actually said "skin animal", not "loot corpse", but I'd already pressed the button.

Then it cut to the ground level camera perspective, looking up at what I thought was my character brutally skinning what the game had designated as an "animal".

Turn out the corpse had actually fell on top of a bird I'd previously shot, and that was the animal I was skinning, but I didn't realise that until afterwards, and I thought the game was just depicting awful racist dehumanising attitudes.

compo

Banned
Postal 2 with the muslim women in the convenience store. There's probably a lot more in that game, but I only played it for a couple hours.

Resident Evil 5 was a prettttttty fucking tone deaf example of racism via inappropriate representation.

Googling found Spanish for Everyone which is just yikes on a bike. Here's the intro.

fridwhmsi30caky3cbb9.jpg

The game begins with your Mexican friend stealing your Nintendo DS and fleeing south of the border. In order to get it back, you have to go to Mexico and find him. Not only does your friend turn out to be a stereotypical thief but out of nowhere, a horny Mexican woman appears who promises to teach you many things, with Spanish being one of them.

I'd consider the mental health depictions to be less a topic of conversation under this banner, even tangentially as they're two very different problems (often linked though, I'll agree to that in some circumstances).

To be fair, I dont think it counts really as all the nonzombie african/black characters are good guys.

Just really.... clueless rather than racist.
Pretty sure the reason the game is racist isn't because the zombies are African, and it's more the depiction of certain characters and enemies. I never got very far in RE5 though so I'm not super familiar with the game.

Chao

Not sure if it's the most racist thing or not, but this guy in FFXIII always made me go "rrrrreeeeeeally?" whenever he showed up in promotional material. Never played the game though.
1291556-sazhairsmilechoco.jpg

Not sure if it's the most racist thing or not, but this guy in FFXIII always made me go "rrrrreeeeeeally?" whenever it showed up in promotional material. Never played the game though.
I'd say that nearly every portrayal of black people in Japanese games is at least slightly racist.

I remember being shocked by how racist LA Noire was. I mean it was intentional and fitting the time period, but it surprised me at the time when I played it.

Orb

Pretty sure the reason the game is racist isn't because the zombies are African, and it's more the depiction of certain characters and enemies. I never got very far in RE5 though so I'm not super familiar with the game.
I actually take back what I said because I remembered Chapter 3 and wowsers that was not okay.

woopWOOP

Wham Bam Rock from Kirby Super Star

Its design is... dated to say the least

The boss got edited in the DS remake, but the SNES Mini game will probably have it like this

whambacmrock.png

Japanese games and media seem to get some slack for some reason despite nowadays being the more racist media.
They get slack because black people are almost entirely absent from their society and culture, and they don't have a history of specific oppression towards black people (as far as I'm aware). The racism is seen as born from ignorance rather than hatred. Doesn't make it any less problematic though, tbh.

Not sure if it's the most racist thing or not, but this guy in FFXIII always made me go "rrrrreeeeeeally?" whenever he showed up in promotional material. Never played the game though.

The chocobo in his afro is indeed stupid, but Sazh is the best part of that game, he doesn't act like a stereotype at all.

When I first arrived in Mexico in Red Dead Redemption, I was just having a look around, shot at some of the wildlife, and explored a bit of the open expanse. Then a bunch of bandits appeared and a shootout/chase ensued.

Once I'd taken care of all the bandits, I walked over to the nearest corpse, intending to loot it. I automatically pressed the appropriate button, but as I did I realised that the context popup actually said "skin animal", not "loot corpse", but I'd already pressed the button.

Then it cut to the ground level camera perspective, looking up at what I thought was my character brutally skinning what the game had designated as an "animal".

Turn out the corpse had actually fell on top of a bird I'd previously shot, and that was the animal I was skinning, but I didn't realise that until afterwards, and I thought the game was just depicting awful racist dehumanising attitudes.

Aw man, this was almost a great copypasta.

PK Gaming

To be fair, I dont think it counts really as all the nonzombie african/black characters are good guys.

Just really.... clueless rather than racist.

Well it's not like being clueless precludes you from being racist. That said, while I think many of the complaints were overblown (some people even straight up lied about the game's supposed racism!), the game plays so blatantly into the "White savior" trope it borders on cringe. Also Sheva was such a non-character, and some of her alternate costumes were ehhhhhh.

Mesoian

He is, legit, the best character in that game.

Basically every Japanese game with Black people in it. You know you're in for a treat when the character creation tool limits Black hair selection to shaved bald, an afro, or cornrows.

What would you say about stereotypical fighting game characters?

I mean a lot of fighting games use stereotypes to show off where that character is coming from.

Zutrax

resident evil 5.

just so much of it.

Resident Evil 5

I can't even believe it got released

Resident Evil 5 was a prettttttty fucking tone deaf example of racism via inappropriate representation.

It's been a decent amount of time since I played Resident Evil 5, but I genuinely don't recall it being particularly racist. I could be sorely misremembering since that was back in my High School days however. I'm not disagreeing with you all, I just more am looking to be reminded of how exactly.

Orb

They get slack because black people are almost entirely absent from their society and culture, and they don't have a history of specific oppression towards black people (as far as I'm aware). The racism is seen as born from ignorance rather than hatred. Doesn't make it any less problematic though, tbh.
Yeah, maybe in the days before the internet and easy education and learning and feedback they could get away with it, but in 2017 theres less excuses for it. Like the gay portrayal in Persona 5, or Bandai in Danganronpa 3. Always comes off as willingly tonedeaf and ignorant imo

It's been a decent amount of time since I played Resident Evil 5, but I genuinely don't recall it being particularly racist. I could be sorely misremembering since that was back in my High School Days however. I'm not disagreeing with you all, I just more am looking to be reminded of how exactly.

latest

KidB

GTA CAN be very racist at times. What stuck out the most to me was that voodoo practitioner in Vice City who gave you missions.

kurahador

I'd say that nearly every portrayal of black people in Japanese games is at least slightly racist.

Uhhh...Sazh is actually the only one acting normal in that game which I'm guessing thanks to the actor playing him being an actual black guy.

Everyone else acting felt like it was lifted from anime.

Jawmuncher

RE5 I think is in the middle. A lot of it could be perceived as such without context. But within the game itself I don't think it's an issue. You have mixed enemies in the more modern areas. You then have tribal enemies in the secluded areas.

Regardless I doubt Capcom ever touches that sort of location again. Even with the "well it's Japan" thing they had going for RE5 back in the day. It would be exploded 10x from where it was at last time. Since there was controversy even back then over the setting.

Kingdom Hearts is pretty fucking bad about literally every character with dark skin being evil.

There's a scene in Kingdom Hearts 2 where a character (Diz), who had been disguised as one of the bad guys, has his dark skin burn off revealing that he actually has white skin, when he's revealing he's actually a good guy.

Also in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, the main villain (who is dark skinned) takes over one of the protagonist's bodies, which turns his skin dark. Tacky.

Division's core concept of a government militia takeover just shooting a bunch of black people to 'create order' or whatever makes me wonder how it got past everyone at Ubisoft.

Jonnax

Command and Conquer Generals is pretty racist to both Arabs and the Chinese.

From things like the accents. To the GLA having slaves and suicide bombers. The Chinese having horde bonuses.

It's a kind of soft racism. Of course the American side is idealised.

Recently played it and almost lost respect for Westwood but it was made post EA shutting them down. So it was just EA shitting on their legacy.

Besides my question about stereotypical characters, what about "patriotic" games like CoD, where most of the time the bad guys are "Russians, Chinese" etc.?

Also if someone remembers Vietcong, that game was racist af:

11_11.jpg

The americans were portrayed as heroes, who just want to help Vietnamese, but the Vietnamese soldiers were depicted as rapists, child murderers etc.

Top Bottom