• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the most racist thing you've encountered in a video game itself (not real ppl)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Considering the reverse happens quite frequently, I'm not sure I agree. If you can avoid embarrassingly bad accents and obnoxious stereotypes it's fine. And Laura Bailey did a good job with Nadine.

I agree, there's nothing wrong with hiring the best person for the job, if she nailed it she nailed it and deserved the part.

dock

XJiGBL2.png

Oh, Westone. :(

I encountered this when I was six years old on Master System. The friend of my brother that brought it over was yelling "it's the n**-nogs" and I honestly didn't realise this was bad. My mum said "don't say that" but nothing else.

I mean couldn't re4 be considered racist for the same reason as 5 basically?

Maybe so, although I don't think anything in Resident Evil 4 is as terrible as the tribal parts in 5. Resident Evil 5 also stands out more because of how racism against African Americans is ingrained in our culture.

dimmer

Most examples shown here seem to be more like stereotypes than rasict things. Racism is saying someone is inferior due to his color. A black guy breakdancing us not racism ffs.

PK Gaming

I agree, there's nothing wrong with hiring the best person for the job, if she nailed it she nailed it and deserved the part.

There's this weird double standard where people are fine with black actors voicing white characters because white characters are given the freedom to sound like anyone, but white actors voicing black characters is no good because black characters must sound discernibly black or else it's absolutely no good.

Lol.

Nah this post is fucking garbage, haha

PK Gaming

Bengus's Balrog art in SF5 was racist, like 80% of the time

tx4KYS0.png

The character already plays into the scary black man stereotype, but my God Bengus way to exaggerate racial features. His art in SF5's story mode is already weak, but whenever Balrog shows up onscreen expect him to have impossibly huge lips.

what is the problem here? can't a native be a zombie?

Go over these 2 questions and you'll have your answer:

1) What year does RE5 take place in?
2) What is the % of indigenous people in Africa?

dugdug

Banned
People have already mentioned her, but, Letitia from Deus Ex Human Revolution is definitely the most racist thing I've seen in a game, in a long, long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He09JaBVZdE

So many questions here. Why does this person speak like a slave? How did that script get approved? How did the actor get away with that in studio? How did it pass testing, all the way into the final product?

MechaX

Well, there's actually one file blurb in the game that said that those "natives" were actually modernized, but the parasite virus made them don tribal paint and gear and become literal spear-chuckers.

Shifty

Not sure if it's the most racist thing or not, but this guy in FFXIII always made me go "rrrrreeeeeeally?" whenever he showed up in promotional material. Never played the game though.
1291556-sazhairsmilechoco.jpg

Sazh is a pretty great character, probably my favourite of the original XIII cast, but there are definitely shades of Token Black Dude with the party composition.

The chocobo in his afro is the best character Squeenix have put out since the PS2 era.

MUnited83

For you.
It's been a decent amount of time since I played Resident Evil 5, but I genuinely don't recall it being particularly racist. I could be sorely misremembering since that was back in my High School days however. I'm not disagreeing with you all, I just more am looking to be reminded of how exactly.
latest

not the case. The game outright tells you they were modernized people and the virus made them "regress into their tribal ways". It's pretty terrible.

hotcyder

I know people love these games, but I genuinely can't get over the fact that the magician characters are straight up old time stereotypes of African Shamans and Native Americans. The fact they speak in broken english and the music that plays in both their areas don't help much either.

At least in Nuts and Bolts they sort of redesigned them a little bit and dropped the magic angle to make them SLIGHTLY less problematic.

Klungo you could lump into the same boat by being an igor pastiche which is a pretty gross portrayal of people with disabilities.

On a tangential note, the "deranged" enemies in Arkham Asylum seem in extremely poor form, seemingly without any awareness, for such a big budget game. It wasn't until I recently replayed it that I realized how messed up that depiction of mental illness was.

I would say this is a problem with Batman as a character outside of just the arkham games anyways - where most of the people he fights are victims of circumstance or mentally ill people but written in the broadest of characterisations - usually drawing on the usual standbys of italian/irish americans. Makes me feel a bit ill whenever they shout "It's da bat".

But Arkham could of had the maturity to drop that, for sure.

Gattsu25

Banned
Not sure if it's the most racist thing or not, but this guy in FFXIII always made me go "rrrrreeeeeeally?" whenever he showed up in promotional material. Never played the game though.
Yeah, the character design isn't great (a bird in his afro, really??) but he is easily the best character in that game.

Jawmuncher

Well, there's actually one file blurb in the game that said that those "natives" were actually modernized, but the parasite virus made them don tribal paint and gear and become literal spear-chuckers.

Oooh nooo capcom. I didn't know about that file.
That's bad. I can only imagine if that had been a major revelation in the story mode.

There being infected tribes to me isn't racist. Bio terrorism can infect anyone. Said bio terrorism "regressing" people is a bit too much though.

Makes the whole gondola thing make a bit more sense though.

PK Gaming

Haha, I remember that.

Good ole lore justifying the racist imagery. Totally reminds of Quiet and the lore used to justify her appearance.

Hitman 2's Muslims were not very good at all.

p3IwAY9.jpg

uNPMVe5.jpg

Guys ostensibly praying "jama'ah" (in congregation) all in different poses is just incorrect. Usually keeping the same animations on multiple in-engine objects out of phase is good, but I would've been happier with a lazily implemented in-sync animation on all the praying dudes.

Hylian7

To be fair, I dont think it counts really as all the nonzombie african/black characters are good guys.

Just really.... clueless rather than racist.

I'd still file a lot of that shit under racism, or ignorance which is effectively the same thing. They seemed to not even listen to the concerns about racism when the first trailers for the game were shown.

I mean, the game literally at one point goes to tribal men in a jungle LITERALLY CHUCKING SPEARS at you. It's probably more ignorant than malicious, but it's still extremely ignorant and I have to wonder what they were thinking.

Plus there was this...I mean...come on, really Capcom?

Phu

Banned

Sazh is the best character in that game and it's a crime we don't see more of him.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Oooh nooo capcom. I didn't know about that file.
That's bad. I can only imagine if that had been a major revelation in the story mode.

There being infected tribes to me isn't racist. Bio terrorism can infect anyone. Said bio terrorism "regressing" people is a bit too much though.

Makes the whole gondola thing make a bit more sense though.

Unfortunately, yeah, while I actually like Chapter 3 in terms of gameplay (I like the crocodile pit and the free island exploration segment/oil plant sequence), the enemies are mighty ignorant. It could be argued that it's what they did with Resident Evil 4/7, as both also clash on Rural Europe and Southern American stereotypes and fears, but it's definitely the most outlandish and coming across as racist in RE5. For better or worse it definitely feels like it comes out of a place of ignorance rather than maliciousness, but that doesn't make it okay.

The worst part of it is definitely the file:

Child's Diary

April 5
A man who said he was the foreman of the oil plant came to visit us today. He said he wants to inoculate everyone living near the oil field against some kind of disease. In my parents' generation, they tricked out people and stole the land to turn it into their oil field. They must feel guilty about that because they are always trying to help out village now. When we couldn't get across the swamp, they built a gondola on a rope for us.

Sometimes they'll even give us alcohol from foreign countries. This medicine is probably something like that. Everyone in our village is glad to receive this medicine, but I don't want it. I don't have a reason for not getting it, I just didn't like the way the foreman looks, that's all.

April 8
Everyone went to the oil field to get this inoculation. The village is usually never this quiet. The only thing to do today is sleep.

April 9
I slept too much during the day, so I couldn't sleep at night, and it was noisy outside. Everyone was talking with serious voices in the middle of the village. All of the children in the village had come down with a fever. The mothers all drew water to cool their bodies, but it didn't help. By the next morning they were all dead. In the morning our leader went to the oil field. He wanted to know if the medicine they were given killed the children.

When he came back to the village, he said the children died because they had the disease. He told everyone that they needed to go back for more shots. I didn't want to, but everyone in the village was worried about catching the disease. They forced me to go with them and get the shots.

April 10
People were fighting in the village. All the men are very angry. It might be because all the children died, but I think it's something else. The women just sit around and don't move. I wonder if the disease is spreading?

April 11
I couldn't sit still today. It felt like something was moving around inside me. Outside I saw a man who looked strange. He was naked and had a weapon. His entire body was covered in war paint. It wasn't even a festival day. I tried to talk to him, but when he turned around, I saw his face...

He didn't even look human! What is happening to the people of my village!?

April 12
The screaming has not stopped since yesterday. The men are all dressing like our ancestors and fighting each other. Most of the women have died.

April 13
Head hurts. Fever... Feel angry. Saw big man outside window. Very tall. Must be vision.

April 14
Feel good...

Screams... stop... Looks fun... Want to... kill...

Racist Parasites.

PK Gaming

The chocobo in his afro is indeed stupid, but Sazh is the best part of that game, he doesn't act like a stereotype at all.

He is, legit, the best character in that game.

Sazh is a pretty great character, probably my favourite of the original XIII cast, but there are definitely shades of Token Black Dude with the party composition.

The chocobo in his afro is the best character Squeenix have put out since the PS2 era.

Sazh is pretty racist

kidding. Definitely the best character in that game, even if he played into a few stereotypes.

"Follow the old man's lead!"

CookTrain

It's probably the most mild example of stereotyping you're going to see...

... but Devrim in Destiny 2 seriously needs to shut up about tea. Such on the nose "britishness" that it makes me cringe.

Cragor

Neo Member
Honestly, if you think RE5 was racist, you have to consider RE4 too. Either you see them both as a sad, sad example of ingnorance, or as examples racism. The fact RE4 is seen as a far superior game than 5 shouldnt change that.

I mean couldn't re4 be considered racist for the same reason as 5 basically?

More like stupid than racist.
The nonsense Leon spouts at the intro about Spaniards, all characters being dubbed by thick accented Mexican despite being set in Spain, and the portrayal of the northern part of Spain. All was beyond stupid.

I still dont get how Capcom got a free pass for it.

Black basketball players are stronger and jump higher so they are getting paid accordingly.
Is this a stereotype, racism, capitalism, a fact, right/wrong, what is it?

"All Germans love beer and soccer."

"All Asians are good at math."

"All Jewish people are good with money."

El_Mau

That's awful and a very stupid explanation.

dimmer

Remove "black" from your post. Notice it is not different. Can you explain why you felt the need to include it?

Notice the words "stronger" and "higher". If I take out the word black it makes no sense.If on the other hand I put the words "than white basketball players" it makes even more sense. Is it a fact? In most cases yes. Is it racist? Depends how you see it. Is it a harmless stereotype that points the superiority of black athletes? Yes. What I want to say is a stereotype isn't always a racist thing

Zutrax

Honestly, if you think RE5 was racist, you have to consider RE4 too. Either you see them both as a sad, sad example of ingnorance, or as examples racism. The fact RE4 is seen as a far superior game than 5 shouldnt change that.

RE4 was somewhat tone deaf, but not nearly as bad as 5 was. 5 had a large number of it's zombies garnished in stereotypical African tribal gear throwing spears at you, and Sheva had a pretty shitty costume in the same vein. RE4's depiction of Spain isn't nearly as stereotyped and all the villagers were relatively reserved in their outfits and portrayals. Ashley was a bad damsel, but that is more sexism than racism.

Top Bottom