• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump takes shots at Kaepernick, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field’

Dishwalla

Banned
I am more curious on Military/former Military views on it. I fell if anyone is offended they they would be but I could be wrong.

I'm in the military and among people I know we are in general agreement that it's their right as an American to protest, even if they don't necessarily agree with the protest. For some reason this whole thing is being turned into a debate about disrespecting a flag and not what the flag represents, which is the exact actions that Kaepernick and other players are doing. Military members are not fighting for a flag to be respected, we are fighting for America's people to have the freedom and rights to say what they want to say. In my eyes telling people to salute the flag or gtfo is disrespectful to it and it's meaning, not protesting before it.

I'm in the military and among people I know we are in general agreement that it's their right as an American to protest, even if they don't necessarily agree with the protest. For some reason this whole thing is being turned into a debate about disrespecting a flag and not what the flag represents, which is the exact actions that Kaepernick and other players are doing. Military members are not fighting for a flag to be respected, we are fighting for America's people to have the freedom and rights to say what they want to say. In my eyes telling people to salute the flag or gtfo is disrespectful to it and it's meaning, not protesting before it.

I agree 100%

Raven117

Cheers man. Thank you for your service.

Dishwalla

Banned
Also I don't know about other military members but I don't really like people who aren't in or have never been try and speak for us. You don't know what is respectful to us or what isn't. It's really annoying to hear people go "if you don't respect the flag you don't support the troops". Like, have you ever looked into how much you actually support the troops instead of just saying you do?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

geestack

Pop litterally said (paraphrase)

Its like being at the 50 yard mark of a 100 yard dash (framed as competition)

White people have an inherent advantage (framed competition now about race)

And people don't want to give up the status quo (implied white people should have to change for the negative to make things better)

Its a flawed ignorant arguement.

Edit. Cops starting to murder white people too would technically be equality but thats certainly not progress in the right direction. Ect.

you're not interpreting his words correctly, and in fact are twisting them into something he didn't say.

how many people have family members/close friends showing their asses over this?

god, what a baffling 24 hours this has been. people who voted for Hillary, oppose Trump, and hold generally favorable views on social issues just saying some real racist/borderline racist shit because of this. I don't even know how to proceed with some of these people tbh.
My dad just posted on Facebook about it calling NFL players thugs.

TheContact

found this gem on my FB wall:

I’ve seen a lot of posts over the last 24 hours regarding “respecting the flag” and what that means…and how athletes who use their public forum to voice dissent are somehow “unpatriotic”. I want to offer a different opinion.

My father is buried at the foot of the flagpole in Golden Gate National Cemetery. He landed at Normandy, fought at the Battle of the Bulge and liberated Nazi camps in Germany. His enemy was fascism. I served as a Green Beret in the early 1970s (pretty sure you all know what that entails). Our enemy at the time was communism. My son is currently a serving officer in the Army, who on his dress blues wears the Bronze Star he was awarded during a year-long tour in Afghanistan. His enemy is and was the Taliban and the threat of terrorism.

Three generations of my family, serving the USA, in harms’ way. Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader.

I can tell you, speaking for three generations of my family, it is PRECISELY for men like Kaepernick, and his right to peacefully protest injustice, that we were willing to serve. There is NOTHING more respectful of our country than living up to its ideals. There is nothing more patriotic than to say “I’m concerned with injustice, and will use my position to try and address it.”

Want to know what’s unpatriotic? Using your white privilege to avoid serving, citing “bone spurs in the heel” while playing varsity tennis at college while others went. Want to know what is antithetical to American values? Using the most powerful pulpit in the land to incite violence – against ANYONE. Want to define disgraceful behavior? Denigrating a man like Senator John McCain’s service and heroism while you sat home.

Want to respect the American flag? Then respect the ideals for which it stands. Bullying language and calling peaceful protesters “sons of bitches” who should be fired aren’t among them.

p..s. anyone wishing to share this, please feel free.

Belichick released a statement.
DKmGZ94VAAIudBx.jpg

This might be the most Belichickian statement Belicheck has ever Belichecked.

As a Steelers fan, fuck Ben.

As someone who swore that oath, fuck this being about just the military. That flag represents all the people of this country. And the lofty ideals we bring with it.

Or at least it should.

As a Steelers fan, fuck Ben.

As someone who swore that oath, fuck this being about just the military. That flag represents all the people of this country. And the lofty ideals we bring with it.

Or at least it should.

It should, but it don't.

Kapernick was trying to point that out and now you got people telling him he should catch a bullet for it.

Thank you for your service. Much respect and agree with what you say.

Kevtones

This. Thank you for your service.

This is the only statement you need to read from Bill:

“Congratulations on a tremendous campaign. You have to help with an unbelievable slanted and negative media and have come out beautifully. You have proven to be the ultimate competitor fighter. Your leadership is amazing. I have always had tremendous respect for you for the toughness and perseverance you have displayed over the past year is remarkable. Hopefully tomorrow’s election, the results will give the opportunity to make America great again.

Best wishes for great results tomorrow,

Bill Belichick”

Certified piece of shit.

Alebrije

I agree with the idea that beside military : doctors, teachers , social workers, firefighters, artists, etc. should be only the athem/flag ceremony.

It's incredibly what Trump said , those hate words will be taken as flag by extremists.

jbug617

Banned
Boston Sports Talk Radio this afternoon:

Talks about how Trump started this and the players were right to do what they did.
Calls from white males (a lot seem like old guys) upset about the protests.
Hosts ok you are upset so don't watch the NFL but we all know you will be right back watching on Sundays.

Statement from Alejandro Villanueva, the conservative's hero:

https://twitter.com/C_AdamskiTrib/status/912424389311950848

Alejandro Villanueva: "This national anthem ordeal has sort of been out of control, and there's a lot of blame on myself..."

Villenueva says he "absolutely" would be OK if teammates kneeled or sat during the anthem.

Alejandro Villaneuva: "Every single time I see that picture of me standing by myself, I feel embarrassed."

Edit: Would advise reading the whole series of tweets in the link.

Hesh

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/opinion/colin-kaepernick-football-protests.html
Was this posted? Eric Reid speaks about what he and Colin originally meant by kneeling and why he did it.

Really good article, which I'm sure many against kneeling will not read or choose to ignore.

I remember thinking our posture was like a flag flown at half-mast to mark a tragedy.

This is how I've been trying to explain to people how kneeling isn't a show of disrespect so it makes me happy that Eric let that be known.

rambis

Banned
This is how I've been trying to explain to people how kneeling isn't a show of disrespect so it makes me happy that Eric let that be known.

I mean when has kneeling ever been a sign of disrespect? People just became idiots overnight with this shit.

Doomsayer

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/opinion/colin-kaepernick-football-protests.html
Was this posted? Eric Reid speaks about what he and Colin originally meant by kneeling and why he did it.

Really good article, which I'm sure many against kneeling will not read or choose to ignore.

Awesome article. Reid is always 100% candid and never holds back. I just wish he could stay healthy.

Statement from Alejandro Villanueva, the conservative's hero:

https://twitter.com/C_AdamskiTrib/status/912424389311950848

Good on him for recognizing his mistake. Hopefully this weekend he kneels with his team.

but do they understand that the protests are about policy brutality and inequality among people of color?

Hesh

I mean when has kneeling ever been a sign of disrespect? People just became idiots overnight with this shit.

It never was, but obviously there are a hell of a lot people that think it is. Hence why I tried to explain to them how kneeling was a show of remembrance to those fallen by the racially-driven travesties we've all read about, to try and get their mind off the one-track note of "They hate America!".

Good on him for recognizing his mistake. Hopefully this weekend he kneels with his team.

I don't think you read his full comments. He's apologizing for unintentionally making his team look bad. He certainly will not be kneeling in the future and I don't think he should be pressured into doing something.

Doomsayer

I don't think you read his full comments. He's apologizing for unintentionally making his team look bad. He certainly will not be kneeling in the future and I don't think he should be pressured into doing something.

I guess the quotes provided didn't paint the whole story. Thanks for the clarification.

Top Bottom