• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever see Stefanie Joosten (Quiet from MGS5) in another videogame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She was awesome as Quiet, love the character.

It would be cool if Kojima used her in his future games as a recurring actress, kind of like how Nolan often uses the same actors in his movies.

She literally did nothing and was just eye candy. She might be a decent actress but you sure as shit wouldn't know it from mgs5.

Glass Rebel

3c8633c35e17c6d2175aa962ddba8044.jpg

so much talent on display here

No i'm just wondering where all the the posts saying she's talented are coming from given she was literally barely given a script, and what little lines she had weren't acted very well at all, and due to the character she played, she displayed no emotional range, "look mildly angry" or "make that expression Megan Fox constantly makes in the tranformers movies." So no, i don't have any issue with Stefanie Joosten as a person, but lmfao at the idea that she's a good actress.

I mean besides the fact that she quite clearly can't hide her accent, the idea for that scene isn't for her to be calm. It's supposed to be an intense situation and her doing something out of desperation since the Boss is dying and needs immediate attention. Yet she's reading her lines with about as much genuine emotion as a person calling out the numbers for bingo.

You're complaints feel more directed at Kojima, because that scene isn't tonally depicted as an intense or desperate situation. Even the scene music is more soothing instead of exciting.
We all know that Boss will be saved, the scene is more about highlighting her personal sacrifice to save Boss. Her being calm in this situation shows her acceptance of her death and having to sever ties with you completely. She's also an elite soldier, so her being in control in this sort of scenario is part of her character.

I don't really get the accent complaint. The game doesn't give any hints of her national origins, so her having a Dutch accent never felt out of place to me.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Quiet's character concept deserved better.

I genuinely mean that.

Like, the character themes that came with the "rain scene" that tie into the rest of the game's overarching "lost voices" theme actually sound poignant if I read it on paper.

But that doesn't really make up for it.

Because it ended up being the goddamned rain scene by Hideo KojimaTM feat. shitty character design.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You're complaints feel more directed at Kojima, because that scene isn't tonally depicted as an intense or desperate situation. Even the scene music is more soothing instead of exciting.
We all know that Boss will be saved, the scene is more about highlighting her personal sacrifice to save Boss. Her being calm in this situation shows her acceptance of her death and having to sever ties with you completely. She's also an elite soldier, so her being in control in this sort of scenario is part of her character.
A scene can be incredibly tense and desperate without also being "exciting" It absolutely is depicted as a tonally intense situation
she's literally killing herself by speaking.

I don't really get the accent complaint. The game doesn't give any hints of her national origins, so her having a Dutch accent never felt out of place to me.
Poor excuse. You know what's a good talent for actors, being able to hide and/or emulate accents. A shit ton of people didn't know John Boyega was from England until they heard him in interviews as an example.

A scene can be incredibly tense and desperate without also being "exciting" It absolutely is depicted as a tonally intense situation
she's literally killing herself by speaking.

Poor excuse. You know what's a good talent for actors, being able to hide and/or emulate accents. A shit ton of people didn't know John Boyega was from England until they heard him in interviews as an example.

But it's not. It's not an intense situation, because the game and the audience already knows the outcome of the situation. Her chocking up with tears or getting super intense over the radio isn't the point of the scene.

My accent argument isn't a poor excuse. This isn't a Sam Worthington or Arnold Schwarzenegger situation with actors trying to play as Americans and failing to hide their accents. Quiet is supposed to be a mystery. For the context of the scene and the way it is written, her talking in an American accent wouldn't make anything better.

Banzai

Yeah, gotta say I don't know where people get the idea that she's very talented. She might be, sure, but I don't see how you could base that assumption on MGSV. She had 3 lines and sang a song.

But it's not. It's not an intense situation, because the game and the audience already knows the outcome of the situation. Her chocking up with tears or getting super intense over the radio isn't the point of the scene.

My accent argument isn't a poor excuse. This isn't a Sam Worthington or Arnold Schwarzenegger situation with actors trying to play as Americans and failing to hide their accents. Quiet is supposed to be a mystery. For the context of the scene and the way it is written, her talking in an American accent wouldn't make anything better.

Alright, so the one scene she could have displayed emotion and stuff that's entirely focused on her she didn't have to because the scene didn'T demand it. Then why do you just assume she could pull it off well?

Crossing Eden

I'm not saying this is a situation where she'd near to choke up with tears or anything. Rather display some form of emotion instead of literally just reading the script. She sounds like a SW prequel character. Even if the audience knows the outcome, you can have an intense scene in a prequel. MGS3 is full of tense scenes despite the fact that we know no matter what BB survives.

Her talking with some form of emotion would make it better. You can clearly hear attempts to quickly rectify the course of chopper since it's supposed to be tense. Yet none of that is conveyed through the acting. It's just a no go in terms of being a convincing moment and not just a script being read.

She was a great sniper
She's more a gameplay mechanic than a character and that says a lot about the characterization of that game.

Myriadis

I'm all up for having talented people cast in games. But how exactly did she show that talent in MGSV, OP?

On her playthrough of MGSV she defeated Quiet by kicking her in the face instead of sniping her or dropping boxes on her like we lowly beginners did. That's enough talent for sure.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
She's not really much of an actress going by MGSV, but that game didn't give her much to work with.

So, let's see if she's any good in that game posted above, or if she gets cast in Death Stranding.

Otherwise she's just another pretty face Kojima decided to host in his game.

She's gorgeous.

The only media I've ever seen her in is MGSV, and she didn't have much to work with. Her character was bad and it wasn't really her fault.

She seems to enjoy working on games and she put in the work to be a part of MGSV with some external training and learning the mocap processes for MGSV (there are a lot of different mocap processes, though), so I guess that's a slight edge on her skills range.

Hard for me to say based on MGSV if she has the chops to appear more frequently in games, but it'd only be a good thing if so (and only one way to find out -- send her to some casting calls)!

For some reason I see her taking the lead in the next Remedy game or something. :p

I'm not saying this is a situation where she'd near to choke up with tears or anything. Rather display some form of emotion instead of literally just reading the script. She sounds like a SW prequel character. Even if the audience knows the outcome, you can have an intense scene in a prequel. MGS3 is full of tense scenes despite the fact that we know no matter what BB survives.

Her talking with some form of emotion would make it better. You can clearly hear attempts to quickly rectify the course of chopper since it's supposed to be tense. Yet none of that is conveyed through the acting. It's just a no go in terms of being a convincing moment and not just a script being read.

She's more a gameplay mechanic than a character and that says a lot about the characterization of that game.

Well, now we're at the point of simply arguing over how emotional an actor sounds. Again, I think the acting is fine in this scene...that's pretty much all I can say. I don't think it's mindblowing, but I don't think it sounds like a fansub either. That's all I really have to say about that. I'm going to sleep now, arguing further would be pure subjectivity at this point

Even if the audience knows the outcome, you can have an intense scene in a prequel. MGS3 is full of tense scenes despite the fact that we know no matter what BB survives.

Yes, but my point was more in scene direction. The game basically spells out the outcome of the scene with the music and scene context. It being a prequel doesn't really matter. The tension isn't about keeping you on the edge of your seat in this life or death situation. You could say it's more about milking the drama of this character's
heroic sacrifice.

Crossing Eden

Well, now we're at the point of simply arguing over how emotional an actor sounds. Again, I think the acting is fine in this scene...that's pretty much all I can say. I don't think it's mindblowing, but I don't think it sounds like a fansub either. That's all I really have to say about that. I'm going to sleep now, arguing further would be pure subjectivity at this point.
It genuinely does sound like a fandub in the sense that there's no voice inflection, nuance, or genuine emotion in the scene. It sounds like a script being read instead of a character reacting in a scene.

Yes, but my point was more in scene direction. The game basically spells out the outcome of the scene with the music and scene context. It being a prequel doesn't really matter. The tension isn't about keeping you on the edge of your seat in this life or death situation. You could say it's more about milking the drama of this character's
heroic sacrifice.
It fails at that because the scene isn't convincing. That scene is basically a highlight where she has to carry the entire scene and it just doesn't work. It works as well as the torture scene, and as well as the romance between the two, as in, not at all.

Audioboxer

I think the fact Joosten seemed to be happy/enjoyed playing Quiet really angers some who wish she wasn't so positive about a character they hate.

I'm not even a fan of MGS5 but the apparent transfer of severe dislike for Quiet onto the actor is actually pretty hostile. It's the same kind of nonsense that probably has some being abusive towards cosplayers who like Quiet because they aren't adhering to the narrative that Quiet is strictly an abomination and offensive. That's subjective, even if I agree personally Quiet isn't that good a character.

I guess some guys just really can't handle some women not agreeing with them. Or some guys really can't handle any sort of display of sexuality, even if it's from women who are okay/enjoy participating.

Lol talented is a stretch. She didn't give us much in MGSV aside from her likeness. If you wanna see another character modeled after her just go ahead and say so, no shame in admitting that.

Rien

Jelly Belly
I think the fact Joosten seemed to be happy/enjoyed playing Quiet really angers some who wish she wasn't so positive about a character they hate.

I'm not even a fan of MGS5 but the apparent transfer of severe dislike for Quiet onto the actor is actually pretty hostile. It's the same kind of nonsense that probably has some being abusive towards cosplayers who like Quiet because they aren't adhering to the narrative that Quiet is strictly an abomination and offensive. That's subjective, even if I agree personally Quiet isn't that good a character.

I guess some guys just really can't handle some women not agreeing with them. Or some guys really can't handle any sort of display of sexuality, even if it's from women who are okay/enjoy participating.

Fukuzatsu

Lol talented is a stretch. She didn't give us much in MGSV aside from her likeness. If you wanna see another character modeled after her just go ahead and say so, no shame in admitting that.

That's the salient point really, there's not much of anything to cast praise or shade about--she's just kinda there to look at, and sing a song. The most memorable things about Quiet have next to nothing to do with Joosten herself, so it just feels kind of difficult to say what talent she actually brought to the table.

I mean really, Quiet is just another Kojima female character who does little more than serve as convoluted opportunities for fanservice. The fact that some people/gamers/cosplayers/etc. like fanservice is not surprising, but I find it very hard to see how you could take anything away from her role in MGSV that suggested she was a talented actress.

This is complete bullshit to be quite honest. She comes across as an absolutely lovely person outside of the game. Her enthusiasm is infectious as well but calling her "insanely talented" for her performance in that game is laughable. She didn't have anything to work with. She might well be very talented but to call her that based on MGSV doesn't line up. Quiet didn't do anything.

Don't take criticism of performance for personal criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom