• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever see Stefanie Joosten (Quiet from MGS5) in another videogame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fukuzatsu

This is complete bullshit to be quite honest. She comes across as an absolutely lovely person outside of the game. Her enthusiasm is infectious as well but calling her "insanely talented" for her performance in that game is laughable. She didn't have anything to work with. She might well be very talented but to call her that based on MGSV doesn't line up. Quiet didn't do anything.

Basically, Joosten could be the best actress in the world but you'd have very little to gauge that from in this game.

so1337

she's very talented imho
whiguyblink8asve.gif

Moz

I honestly wonder if she felt a bit exploited by MGSV by the end of it. You wonder how many lines got cut, if she really felt comfortable with that outfit, and so on. Maybe she did, I don't want to claim otherwise, but I personally felt pretty bad for her.

Audioboxer

This is complete bullshit to be quite honest. She comes across as an absolutely lovely person outside of the game. Her enthusiasm is infectious as well but calling her "insanely talented" for her performance in that game is laughable. She didn't have anything to work with. She might well be very talented but to call her that based on MGSV doesn't line up. Quiet didn't do anything.

Don't take criticism of performance for personal criticism.

You said above people who think she has talent are "incredibly transparent". Going back to the same old anyone who likes Quiet is just some problematic sexist. Getting so frustrated that an individual poster thinks it was talented, whatever it is, from mocap, to singing, to her advice/input on Quiet doesn't need to be with such hostility.

You can say you disagree without coming across so hostile to a differing opinion.

Basically, Joosten could be the best actress in the world but you'd have very little to gauge that from in this game.
Yeah. I'd like to see an actual performance from her, because right now it's impossible to say she is talented because we've seen so little of her actual (voice) acting.

As an aside, is the word just "acting" for mo cap actors. I'm still stuck using voice actor but that's not really the case for a lot of video game characters now.

You said above people who think she has talent are "incredibly transparent". Going back to the same old anyone who likes Quiet is just some problematic sexist. Getting so frustrated that an individual poster thinks it was talented, whatever it is, from mocap, to singing, to her advice/input on Quiet doesn't need to be with such hostility.

You can say you disagree without coming across so hostile to a differing opinion.
Because it comes across as transparent. Like you can see that in the first reply to the thread. Most people here don't want to see more because of her acting performance in MGSV because it barely existed. It's her looks and personality outside of the game. "I think she's good looking and fun so I want to see more of her" would be a more, I guess, realistic comment. Hiding that behind "she's talented" given what we've seen of her characters is transparent.

Arklite

I thought she was primarily a model, so maybe if another studio wants to use her likeness/etc then we'll see her again? I'm unclear of her ties to the industry besides Kojima's own fandom, like with Keifer Sutherland's inclusion.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I think the fact Joosten seemed to be happy/enjoyed playing Quiet really angers some who wish she wasn't so positive about a character they hate.
I think that this isn't an actual thing at all and people just can't handle the idea that Quiet is a bad character so they literally come up with the worst excuses possible to defend it, or use the fact that someone who played a character liked the character, as if that's uncommon among bad characters in the film and game industry. Like the actress for Sucker Punch talked about how much she enjoyed the juxtaposition between being stoic and being dressed as a schoolgirl, that doesn't mean that that character was good or that the film was good. Actors/actresses defend bad shit all the time. The creation process is an incredibly different experience from the viewer who goes through and critiques the end product, it doesn't mean that you should take the actor/actresses's word as gospel.

I'm not even a fan of MGS5 but the apparent transfer of severe dislike for Quiet onto the actor is actually pretty hostile.
Receipts.gif

It's the same kind of nonsense that probably has some being abusive towards cosplayers who like Quiet because they aren't adhering to the narrative that Quiet is strictly an abomination and offensive. That's subjective, even if I agree personally Quiet isn't that good a character.
Receipts.gif

I guess some guys just really can't handle some women not agreeing with them.
Some guys really can't handle fanservice characters being criticized so they come up with a bunch of mental gymnastics. Like saying that people just HAVE to hate a model casted to be ogled at by a director who quite literally no reason to be given the benefit of the doubt for his intentions.

Or some guys really can't handle any sort of display of sexuality, even if it's from women who are okay/enjoy participating.
Quiet displays no sexuality whatsoever. If anything she's a perfect example of how borked this industry is when it comes to actually depicting sexuality. This is what a display of sexuality looks like:

Sexuality is portrayed so poorly in this medium that the best instance of it literally has narration explaining the purpose behind it.

iJack

Banned
I think she displays quite the amount of sexuality alright and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Also, Joosten's voice work on Icey is awesome. Such a brilliant little game.

Crossing Eden

I think she displays quite the amount of sexuality alright and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Also, Joosten's voice work on Icey is awesome. Such a brilliant little game.
Yea again people thinking that anything Quiet does is even remotely a display of sexuality is part of the issue with this industry when it comes to depictions of women. A woman being less than half dressed and ogled by the camera aka blatant objectification is not a display of sexuality. Especially in the context of video games.

iJack

Banned
And I absolutely adore Ellie and Left Behind was brilliant but displays of sexuality?

C'MON.

It displays affection, love, pain. But not sexuality. Thinking that Left Behind displays sexuality would be completely gross since Ellie is basically a kid on that expansion. Display of sexuality wasn't what that famous Left Behind scene was about. Now love and discovery, yes. Not really the same than sexuality. That Quiet has in spades in MGV. And once again, absolutely nothing wrong with that. Kojima made a great work on her.

iJack

Banned
Yea again people thinking that anything Quiet does is even remotely a display of sexuality is part of the issue with this industry when it comes to depictions of women.

I respectfully don't think so. The videogame genre just like comics always go for idealized body types. Do I look like Snake? NO. Not even close. And the man is gorgeous. I don't see how making Quiet an example of "what is wrong in the industry" makes even sense with how clearly however played the game actually understands what Kojima was going for.

For more on that, read this:

In 2013, Hideo Kojima said he designed Quiet “as an antithesis to the [way] women characters appeared in the past fighting game who are excessively exposed.” He argued Quiet fits into the game’s larger theme about “misunderstanding, prejudice, hatred, conflict caused by the difference of language, race, custom, culture, and preference.” In the best light, Kojima has consciously chosen to make Quiet a symbol of sexuality, even as she doesn’t seem to have any of her own. All as a way of showing how superficial people’s response’s to hollow signifiers can be, jumping at the sight of potentially offensive material and using it as a sawhorse for negating both the work and the person who made it.

“Negation is the mind’s first freedom,” Emil Cioran wrote, the Romanian philosopher who served as Kojima’s muse for The Phantom Pain, and from whom the game’s epigraph comes. At the same time, negation requires struggle to avoid becoming imprisoned by its proscriptive visions. Kojima argued that the negational response to Quiet “is exactly what ‘MGSV’ itself is.” Quiet seems to have been designed to both provoke and deny negational criticism, leaving Kojima in a paradoxical position of essentially agreeing with his critics even as he defies them, reproducing the anatomical clichés of female sexuality not as a vehicle for male desire but as one for male shame.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michae...quiet-women-in-metal-gear-solid/#57461d94a6cf

Audioboxer

I think that this isn't an actual thing at all and people just can't handle the idea that Quiet is a bad character so they literally come up with the worst excuses possible to defend it, or use the fact that someone who played a character liked the character, as if that's uncommon among bad characters in the film and game industry. Like the actress for Sucker Punch talked about how much she enjoyed the juxtaposition between being stoic and being dressed as a schoolgirl, that doesn't mean that that character was good or that the film was good. Actors/actresses defend bad shit all the time. The creation process is an incredibly different experience from the viewer who goes through and critiques the end product, it doesn't mean that you should take the actor/actresses's word as gospel.

Receipts.gif

Receipts.gif

Some guys really can't handle fanservice characters being criticized so they come up with a bunch of mental gymnastics. Like saying that people just HAVE to hate a model casted to be ogled at by a director who quite literally no reason to be given the benefit of the doubt for his intentions.

Quiet displays no sexuality whatsoever. If anything she's a perfect example of how borked this industry is when it comes to actually depicting sexuality. This is what a display of sexuality looks like:

Sexuality is portrayed so poorly in this medium that the best instance of it literally has narration explaining the purpose behind it.

Crossing you are in every single topic with any bit of skin on a female character stating your opinion on sexuality is the only opinion that women should like/should engage in. Then any men who disagree with you are obviously just written off as being part of the problem in this industry.

You're speaking to someone who wrote this post on sex education and knows the problems in the world/gaming industry http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=250233152&postcount=146

However, what I do see sometimes is what appears to be poor sex education leading to men who go over the line from wanting to be an ally to women to displaying overt demands of controlling them. Stating what is and isn't okay around sex/sexuality. At times verging on you need to cover up. There's places in the world that literally do that to women.

There is nuance in any debate around sex and sexuality, and I can assure you being overly sex-negative to yourself or to women is helping anyone mentally, emotionally or physically.

Crossing Eden

And I absolutely adore Ellie and Left Behind was brilliant but displays of sexuality?

C'MON.

It displays affection, love, pain. But not sexuality. Thinking that Left Behind displays sexuality would be completely gross since Ellie is basically a kid on that expansion.
Display of sexuality wasn't what that famous Left Behind scene was about. Now love and discovery, yes. Not really the same than sexuality.
What do you think this look is?
J04o9EL.gif

Displays of sexuality doesn't have to explicitly mean sex scene. If anything the best examples of it omit that completely.

That Quiet has in spades in MGV. And once again, absolutely nothing wrong with that. Kojima made a great work on her.
He made a misogynistic character that people have convinced themselves is worthy of defending because they're the target audience, and yet another example of how bad the subject of sex is in this medium because gamers confuse "oh yiss this character is half dressed and the camera objectifies her hurr" with sexuality.

I respectfully don't think so. The videogame genre just like comics always go for idealized body types. Do I look like Snake? NO. Not even close. And the man is gorgeous. I don't see how making Quiet an example of "what is wrong in the industry" makes even sense with how clearly however played the game actually understands what Kojima was going for.

For more on that, read this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michae...quiet-women-in-metal-gear-solid/#57461d94a6cf

Crossing you are in every single topic with any bit of skin on a female/female character stating your opinion on sexuality is the only opinion that women should like/should engage in.
Note that the topic is so rarely about sexuality but overt objectification.

You're speaking to someone who wrote this post on sex education and knows the problems in the world/gaming industry http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=250233152&postcount=146
K.

However, what I do see sometimes is what appears to be poor sex education leading to men who go over the line from wanting to be an ally to women to displaying overt demands of controlling them. Stating what is and isn't okay around sex/sexuality. At times verging on you need to cover up. There's places in the world that literally do that to women.
Your first problem is equating a fictional character designed purely for objectification to real life women and assuming the critique of poor representation=critique of real life women.

There is nuance in any debate around sex and sexuality,
We can get to discussing those nuances once a large section of the gaming community stops treating characters like Quiet as a display of sexuality due to being the target audience.

I can assure you being overly sex-negative to yourself or to women is helping anyone mentally, emotionally or physically.
You should pay attention to the things I post. Because sex negative is the least accurate thing you can say.

iJack

Banned
What do you think this look is?
J04o9EL.gif

Displays of sexuality doesn't have to explicitly mean sex scene. If anything the best examples of it omit that completely.

Thinking this is a display of sexuality seems quite disturbing to me. This is about an human being experiencing first love. It has the same amount of sexuality of an updated zombie apocalypse version of My Girl. It's beautiful, poetic and sad. But sexuality? Just the fact that someone thinks that anything in Left Behind is a display of sexuality is disturbing to me. Ellie and Riley are kids. Kids in love, yes. Kids that won't have time to actually find out about sexuality together, yes, and that's why it's tragic. They are just kids figuring out that they like each other and the world tear them apart from each other.

What kind of person would even see that as a display of sexuality is truly beyond me.

As for your MGV non-sense. I refuse to address your prude non sense any further. Kojima is a genius and Quiet is a brilliant character for reasons that you don't seem to quite have a grasp on, just like you don't see to have a single clue about what Left Behind was about.

wandering

Banned
As for your MGV non-sense. I refuse to address your prude non sense any further. Kojima is a genius and Quiet is a brilliant character for reasons that you don't seem to quite have a grasp on, just like you don't see to have a single clue about what Left Behind was about.

Lmao what an argument...

Thinking this is a display of sexuality seems quite disturbing to me. This is about an human being experiencing first love. It has the same amount of sexuality of an updated zombie apocalypse version of My Girl. It's beautiful, poetic and sad. But sexuality? Just the fact that someone thinks that anything in Left Behind is a display of sexuality is disturbing to me. Ellie and Riley are kids. Kids in love, yes. Kids that won't have time to actually find out about sexuality together, yes, and that's why it's tragic. They are just kids figuring out that they like each other and the world tear them apart from each other.

What kind of person would even see that as a display of sexuality is truly beyond me.

Man I almost fell for it until the last paragraph. 6/10

Crossing Eden

Genuinely what do you think sexuality is? Refer to the bottom of this post since you don't seem to understand that sexuality doesn't overtly mean "sex."

As for your MGV non-sense. I refuse to address your prude non sense any further.
Yea man not liking torture scenes where a woman is still ogled by the camera totes makes me a prude.

Kojima is a genius and Quiet is a brilliant character for reasons that you don't seem to quite have a grasp on
laughing-gifs-jonah-jameson.gif

just like you don't see to have a single clue about what Left Behind was about.
Yes I do. You don't seem to understand what sexuality is.
7RpRqbG.png

Ellie is a homosexual. Left Behind was partly about her finding out about that. TLOU is a constant metaphor for common things in our modern life portrayed through the lens of a zombie apocalypse. Going by your logic this also isn't a display of Tracer's sexuality:
f7fz5pjorsk5pjfmilzq.png

It's almost like Quiet is a not an example of sexuality whatsoever and that we need to normalize examples of sexuality that don't include camera ogling and behavior that resembles an animal in heat for the sake of the male gaze.
SbOhaBl.png

Literally the BS forbe contributor article you linked says what i've been saying:
She has no expressed libido, nor do any of the game's bumblingly inelegant men.
Did you even read it??

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'd like to see more of her but if she only appears in stuff Kojima is involved in then that'll be disappointing. She's too good for him. She should be in more games and movies.

iJack

Banned
Man I almost fell for it until the last paragraph. 6/10

Fell for what? Quiet is a woman. She is also an allegory and a paradox, like Kojima intended and explained on several interviews, one of them I've linked above. There's no display of sexuality in Left Behind thought. Saying that it has displays of sexuality makes as much sense as saying that this has displays of sexuality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVViHShXqC4

Ellie and Riley are literally just kids and their story on Left Behind is about love and lost just like Joel's story in The Last of Us. Just like the story of the kids in My love. I mean, I just can't see it how could literally anyone see that.

iJack

Banned
I'd like to see more of her but if she only appears in stuff Kojima is involved in then that'll be disappointing. She's too good for him. She should be in more games and movies.

She was knee deep in Icey and Icey is brilliant. You should definitely check that game out. I'm almost finishing and it's bloody amazing.

Crossing Eden

Fell for what? Quiet is a woman. She is also an allegory and a paradox, like Kojima intended and explained on several interviews, one of them I've linked above. There's no display of sexuality in Left Behind thought. Saying that it has displays of sexuality makes as much sense as saying that this has displays of sexuality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVViHShXqC4

Ellie and Riley are literally just kids and their story on Left Behind is about love and lost just like Joel's story in The Last of Us. Just like the story of the kids in My love. I mean, I just can't see it how could literally anyone see that.
Literally that scene is about two kids who don't know what they're doing, Ellie knew what she was doing. They're teenagers. Ellie knows what sexuality is. They even have a joke about that in the game with her pretending not to know what it is. They aren't naive kids.
Literally proving the point of why the most mature display of sexuality between two adults needed narration to explain why it was happening.

Ban Puncher

For someone who claims to be able to separate the actress from a character portrayed by them, somehow Crossing Eden is still filling this thread about Stefanie Joosten with 'I DON'T LIKE QUIET' posts.

Crossing Eden

For someone who claims to be able to separate the actress from a character portrayed by them, somehow Crossing Eden is still filling this thread about Stefanie Joosten with 'I DON'T LIKE QUIET' posts.
Do you have another example of her "acting prowess" that we can talk about? Because as I and others have said, nothing about MGSV really reflects on her talent as an actress, if anything it hinders that notion altogether because of the following factors
-the script of the game
-the character she played
-the scenes she had to work with

You're currently 2/2 for "stop criticizing the character and performance of this actress" even though this thread is specifically about her performance and to a lesser extent, the one notable character shes played as. Preferably, don't go for 3. Instead, actually contribute.

C'MON.

It displays affection, love, pain. But not sexuality. Thinking that Left Behind displays sexuality would be completely gross since Ellie is basically a kid on that expansion. Display of sexuality wasn't what that famous Left Behind scene was about. Now love and discovery, yes. Not really the same than sexuality. That Quiet has in spades in MGV. And once again, absolutely nothing wrong with that. Kojima made a great work on her.

Lol you're not under the impression that children don't start to think about sex until their 18th birthday, are you? That from the beginning of puberty until legal age, they have emotional complexity, but no physical desires?

Exploration of sexuality in minors is obviously going to be a very dangerous subject to broach, but it isn't inherently "gross" or "disturbing." Film has been handling those themes for decades. Novels have been doing it for centuries. Left Behind handles Ellie's sexuality with all the tact and sensitivity that the topic requires. And yes, it is a display of sexuality. We learn that she is a lesbian. We call that her sexual preference, sexual orientation, or sexuality.

iJack

Banned
Genuinely what do you think sexuality is? Refer to the bottom of this post since you don't seem to understand that sexuality doesn't overtly mean "sex."

Sexuality isn't two kids sharing a kiss. Sexuality isn't about literally two kids having their first kiss. There was nothing sexual on my first kiss. It was actually quite awkward. In Ellie's and Riley's case their moment is as much of a display of sexuality than the moment that the kids in My Girl have. Meaning nothing at all.

Yes I do. You don't seem to understand what sexuality is.
7RpRqbG.png

Ellie is a homosexual. Left Behind was partly about her finding out about that. TLOU is a constant metaphor for common things in our modern life portrayed through the lens of a zombie apocalypse. Going by your logic this also isn't a display of sexuality:
f7fz5pjorsk5pjfmilzq.png

I already said that I'm not engaging with whatever non-sense about Quiet you seem so hellbent on hijack this thread.

As for Ellie being potentially homosexual/bisexual/attracted to another human being.

saywhat2.png

First, we can't really tell if Ellie is homosexual or not. After playing that masterpiece of a game several times, I definitely wouldn't think that Ellie would like to see the hot take of Crossing Eden on her sexual orientation. What we see two kids, two young teenagers kissing. Two teenagers that could very well discover their sexuality together, very much like the My Girl kids, but life gets away and that's all we know. We can't really tell if she's a homosexual or bisexual. We literally can't, just by Left Behind. If that will be explored further in The Last of Us II is still very much up in the air, but concluding that she's homosexual after that moment with was arguably one of the most touching moments in games... UGH. Disgusting.

Second, Tracer is a homosexual. Definitely. Very well defined on canon, even though by the comics. The scene you used to illustrate that shows how incredibly short-sighted your argument is, actually. This shows two women that are girlfriends. They are in a steady relationship together and unlike Ellie and Riley, the world didn't fell apart for them to actually have that steady relationship together. That scene displays sexuality AND intimacy that comes from a steady relationship, something that literally anyone could relate and see it. Now Ellie and Riley? Ugh. No. And I'm done with this.

I wouldn't really say she showed much talent during MGSV, due to the way her character was (I actually didn't mind Quiet, although she suffered from the Luna from FFXV thing, i.e. she was underused in any meaningful purpose, especially since the whole thing with her being quiet was completely unnecessary in the long run).

That being said, I've caught a few of her live streams on Twitch, mainly her Mega Man 2 playthrough, and she seems like a likeable enough person who is enthusiastic about video games, so it'd be nice to see, or better yet hear, her in other games.

iJack

Banned
Lol you're not under the impression that children don't start to think about sex until their 18th birthday, are you? That from the beginning of puberty until legal age, they have emotional complexity, but no physical desires?

Exploration of sexuality in minors is obviously going to be a very dangerous subject to broach, but it isn't inherently "gross" or "disturbing." Film has been handling those themes for decades. Novels have been doing it for centuries. Left Behind handles Ellie's sexuality with all the tact and sensitivity that the topic requires. And yes, it is a display of sexuality. We learn that she is a lesbian. We call that her sexual preference, sexual orientation, or sexuality.

No no. Don't get me wrong, I do get that teenagers think about sex WAY before turning 18. It was a while since I was a teenager but I do remember very well, haha. What I'm saying is that THERE ISN'T a display of sexuality there. It's a moving scene. It's powerful. It displays passion. But they aren't making out. They kiss. And no, we don't learn that they are lesbians or their sexual orientation. We do see two kids potentially in love with each other and that could lead to displays of sexuality. But the world they live in get to ruin everything before it goes there. For all we know, Ellie could indeed be a homosexual. Or she could be bisexual. Knowing the character, I literally think she'd hate literally any label. They are living in the apocalypse and it's different than Tracer and her girlfriend, in my opinion. That's the analysis I take of it, anyway.

Crossing Eden

Sexuality isn't two kids sharing a kiss. Sexuality isn't about literally two kids having their first kiss. There was nothing sexual on my first kiss. It was actually quite awkward. In Ellie's and Riley's case their moment is as much of a display of sexuality than the moment that the kids in My Girl have. Meaning nothing at all.
Read the post above yours. Ellie and Riley are teenagers. The attraction between them is incredibly palpable.

I already said that I'm not engaging with whatever non-sense about Quiet you seem so hellbent on hijack this thread.
Be my guest and defend those helicopter scenes or the rain scenes as displays of sexuality.

As for Ellie being potentially homosexual/bisexual/attracted to another human being.
She's homosexual. Not anything else.

saywhat2.png

First, we can't really tell if Ellie is homosexual or not.After playing that masterpiece of a game several times, I definitely wouldn't think that Ellie would like to see the hot take of Crossing Eden on her sexual preference. What we see two kids, two young teenagers kissing. Two teenagers that could very well discover their sexuality together, very much like the My Girl kids, but life gets away and that's all we know. We can't really tell if she's a homosexual or bisexual. We literally can't, just by Left Behind. If that will be explored further in The Last of Us II is still very much up in the air, but concluding that she's homosexual after that moment with was arguably one of the most touching moments in games... UGH. Disgusting.

Thanks for being yet another example of Neil Druckmann's point.

It is a little strange when I read stuff like ”Oh girls are just confused at that stage." or ”They're still finding themselves." You could spend your whole life finding yourself.
Again I think it's weird because if Riley was a boy this debate wouldn't be happening. No one would say ”Oh maybe it's just a friendly kiss." No one would question that. I think even if it was two boys I don't think anybody would question it.

and in image form:
sb1JKgi.png

Second, Tracer is a homosexual. Definitely. Very well defined on canon, even though by the comics. The scene you used to illustrate that shows how incredibly short-sighted your argument is, actually. This shows two women that are girlfriends. They are in a steady relationship together and unlike Ellie and Riley, the world didn't fell apart for them to actually have that steady relationship together. That scene displays sexuality AND intimacy that comes from a steady relationship, something that literally anyone could relate and see it. Now Ellie and Riley? Ugh. No. And I'm done with this.
Read above.

I just hope she will not be in Death Standing.

I already dislike real actors and actresses (with a few eceptions of course) in video games so I don't really want to see those people periodically get roles in the games made by particular studios.

iJack

Banned
Read the post above yours. Ellie and Riley are teenagers. The attraction between them is incredibly palpable.

The fact that we are talking about how you see a display of sexuality on two underage kids sharing their first kiss makes me cringe. It's creepy. And I'm done with that

Thanks for being yet another example of Neil Druckmann's point.

Don't claim your judgemental bullshit on me. Druckmann is the creator of the character and if she says that she's gay, then she's gay. But IN GAME there's nothing saying that she is gay or not. Hell, if Riley was a boy instead of a girl that wouldn't be a confirmation that Ellie is heterosexual either. The girl in My Girl could grow up to date only girls or boys and girls for all we know.

I don't see Ellie and Riley first kiss as a homosexual / gay kiss just like I don't see My Girl's first kiss as a heterosexual kiss. It felt more pure than that to me. If that wasn't the intention that Druckmann was going for it, I don't know. But I do think that the kiss was pure and moments away of actually becoming a display of sexuality. That's my take on the subject. The fact that grown ups are talking about Ellie's sexuality is kinda disturbing and I'm just dropping out this topic altogether.

Feel free to keep hijacking this thread.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Well, you may forget this but immediately afterward that kiss Ellie awkwardly said something to Riley--I forgot the exact sentence but it contained a statement to the tune of 'I am sorry, I know I am a girl and you are a girl, was it okay that I just kissed you...?'

So yeah, it's also about sexuality.

Portugeezer

Where are all these people saying she was talented? OP brought it up, but not many other people, yet some are arguing against it as if so many people said she was talented for MGS5 role.

Apart from the fact she's nice to look at, who cares? It's not like she did good acting or anything particularly memorable in MGS5, other than showing her tits and arse.

iJack

Banned
Well, you may forget this but immediately afterward that kiss Ellie awkwardly said something to Riley--I forgot the exact sentence but it contained a statement to the tune of 'I am sorry, I know I am a girl and you are a girl, was it okay that I just kissed you...?'

So yeah, it's also about sexuality.

The whole awkwardness about the scene made me feel that it was more about "first love" than sexuality. Honest. Now if they started making out, then it'd be different. If it was shown that that wasn't the first time together, that would be different. Like I've said, the best analogy I can make is an updated version of My Girl with zombies. I don't see displays of sexuality on either.

Famassu

I think the fact Joosten seemed to be happy/enjoyed playing Quiet really angers some who wish she wasn't so positive about a character they hate.

I'm not even a fan of MGS5 but the apparent transfer of severe dislike for Quiet onto the actor is actually pretty hostile. It's the same kind of nonsense that probably has some being abusive towards cosplayers who like Quiet because they aren't adhering to the narrative that Quiet is strictly an abomination and offensive. That's subjective, even if I agree personally Quiet isn't that good a character.

I guess some guys just really can't handle some women not agreeing with them. Or some guys really can't handle any sort of display of sexuality, even if it's from women who are okay/enjoy participating.
Just because she enjoyed portraying the character doesn't make Quiet any better as a character. She is unarguably a horribly objectified character only meant for titillation by the people who created her (and a useful tool from a gameplay POV). Nothing more.

And lol at "any display of sexuality". That wasn't a "display of sexuality", it's pure objectification. Bayonetta is a better (though not perfect) example of a sexy character who isn't just an object of Kojima's jacking off sessions.

Crossing Eden

The fact that we are talking about how you see a display of sexuality on two underage kids sharing their first kiss makes me cringe. It's creepy. And I'm done with that
Ok first of all, if you're done with it then leave the damn thread cause that's what we're talking about. Second of all. Look at my and other's posts about what sexuality means.

Don't claim your judgemental bullshit on me. Druckmann is the creator of the character and if she says that she's gay, then she's gay.
He. And also.

But IN GAME there's nothing saying that she is gay or not.

Hell, if Riley was a boy instead of a girl THERE WOULD BE NOTHING saying that wouldn't be a confirmation that Ellie is heterosexual. The girl in My Girl could grow up to date only girls or boys and girls for all we know.
Stop comparing same age teenagers going through puberty to kids who's dialogue literally spells out that they don't know what sexuality is. They know what it is.

I don't see Ellie and Riley first kiss as a homosexual / gay kiss just like I don't see My Girl's first kiss as a heterosexual kiss. It felt more pure than that to me. If that wasn't the intention that Druckmann was going for it, I don't know. But I do think that the kiss was pure and moments away of actually becoming a display of sexuality. That's my take on the subject. The fact that grown ups are talking about Ellie's sexuality is kinda disturbing and I'm just dropping out this topic altogether.
This says more about your understanding of what sexuality is than the scene itself.

Ban Puncher

Crossing Eden

I meant actual examples. Because it's hard to gauge talents based off of films with premises like this:

Welcome to Odabia's Grand Ferris Wheel in Tokyo, Japan. Enjoy the beautiful sights and sounds of the city as the Ferris wheel's romantic atmosphere takes you away. The Grand Ferris Wheel sees hundreds of guests every day from all over of the world. Each one of these passengers brings with them their stories, passions, struggles, hopes, and dreams. Tokyo Cowboys is proud to present the stories of seven very different women as they each take their turn on "The Wheel."

iJack

Banned
I follow NeoGaf for quite some time, but is it normal when someone tries so hard to hijack a thread and make it about himself/herself? Don't mods take action on this? Because by Odin's beard, it's tiring, jarring and disturbing.

And no, I don't think Druckmann would be okay with his character being over analyzed like this. Don't think discussing the sexuality of an underage kid (regardless the sexual preference) is cool either. I get that Ellie is an exciting character and very positive for LBGT players, but seeing her sexuality over analyzed like this. Ugh. Just ugh. Do we have ignore functions here? (nevermind, found it)

Famassu

Don't claim your judgemental bullshit on me. Druckmann is the creator of the character and if she says that she's gay, then she's gay. But IN GAME there's nothing saying that she is gay or not. Hell, if Riley was a boy instead of a girl that wouldn't be a confirmation that Ellie is heterosexual either. The girl in My Girl could grow up to date only girls or boys and girls for all we know.

Feel free to keep hijacking this thread.
The "kiss was pure"? Dear god, what nonsense is that? It was two youngsters who are attracted to each other kissing for the first time. It was a moment of gay affection between two gay or bisexual characters.

And why can't adults discuss a fictional teenagers sexuality in the context of "does the narrative portray her as gay?" Just talking about what the kiss means in the context of "potrayals of gay characters" isn't creepy. It would be disturbing & creepy only if you are all

giphy.gif

when you see them kiss. >_>; Acknowledging their relationship & actions as gay is not wrong in any way. It's much more creepy that you think there's some "pure" kisses or whatever silly shit you believe in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom