• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two men narrowly escape California fire. "We're gonna die, dude!"

sangreal

That's some incredible footage... the parts where you can actually see anything at least (don't blame him for not being focused on filming)

The way the embers are everywhere in the air is crazy

They're really lucky they missed that tree. Ford must be happy -- Expedition has a starring role

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
It can and did happen in an instant.

This fire had a perfect combination of events that led to this distaster. First, we had a really wet winter that grew a ton of extra brush. Next we had very hot and dry end of summer which dried out all the new brush. Last, the night the fire started winds were blowing 50-80 mph, fanning the flames. It moved so fast and in the middle of the night that people had no time to react till it was too late. It’s just depressing. Too many people perished or lost their homes.

Example of how fast things can move:

https://youtu.be/zvPa_yEEd4E

Holy shit

Griss

Absolutely unreal video.

A ton of people die in their cars during wildfires, these guys were absolutely on death's edge had they gotten stuck.

Big time, they burn air and blast heat upwards, which sucks in tons of fresh, cool air from nearby.

This, basically:

Yea, I just read this on wiki. Pretty damn crazy how large wildfires can produce strong winds via updrafts. It makes complete sense when you think about it and the physics involved.

TrounceX

That was some CLUTCH driving and decision making. Deciding not to stay put, following the power lines, dodging a tree in near zero visibility, and then busting through a gate.

There is an inferno surrounding them.

That doesn't happen in an instant.

I agree, I don't know all the details. But I also refuse to believe they were completely ignorant to the oncoming fire.

"I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about but I'm going to make some definitive statements anyway"

Did some of the people here even watch the video? They literally said they werent told to evacuate.

Thats absolutely insane...straight up looks like hell.

Fucking insane. Glad they made it out.

And yeah, there are quite a few misinformed people. Wildfires spread quickly, easily faster than one can flee depending on the winds and how dry the area is. And if it's in the middle of the night, you can easily find yourself surrounded. Hell, you can easily be surrounded in broad daylight.

Ford will probably use this to push Expeditions.

FORD TOUGH BRO
Wouldn't blame em.

And when all is said and done I hope the firefighters and other first responders get a ticker tape parade, medals and some nice paid vacations. They more than deserve it, going at these fires non-stop, without sleep, and still going at this moment.

andthebeatgoeson

It can and did happen in an instant.

This fire had a perfect combination of events that led to this distaster. First, we had a really wet winter that grew a ton of extra brush. Next we had very hot and dry end of summer which dried out all the new brush. Last, the night the fire started winds were blowing 50-80 mph, fanning the flames. It moved so fast and in the middle of the night that people had no time to react till it was too late. It’s just depressing. Too many people perished or lost their homes.

Example of how fast things can move:

https://youtu.be/zvPa_yEEd4E
Holy shit. Everyone thinking fire moves like this:
austin-powers-steamroller-o.gif

Just stop.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I know it wasn't a long video but I am surprised the car was not overheating. I guess it doesn't matter at that point, just drive and hope you don't run into fire.

Chumly

I don't really get a sense of danger from this video. It is because I've never been in a wild fire before. Wouldn't they have been fine if they just stayed in the car and like parked on the concrete away from trees?
Car would have burned. Tempatures range from 800-1200 degrees Celsius or 1500-2200 degrees Fahrenheit. Look up pictures from the great Australian forest fires. Cars completely burned out on the road trying to escape.

Chumly

I know it wasn't a long video but I am surprised the car was not overheating. I guess it doesn't matter at that point, just drive and hope you don't run into fire.
I'm sure it was starting too. The car would not have lasted forever at those temperatures.

Holy shit. Embers flying right in to the guys face as he was trying to open the gate, roads on fire, airs hot as hell and smoke so thick you could cut it with a knife.

That was insane

Takuhi

Jesus, I'm a fire science major and we just spent part of the week discussing a wildfire where many deaths were the result of people being trapped in their cars, just like these guys. They're incredibly lucky.

What's the alternative to trying to leave by car, though?

I agree, I don't know all the details. But I also refuse to believe they were completely ignorant to the oncoming fire.

But it did happen in an instant. In one case, a couple saw an ember hit their yard at 1 AM and go up, they IMMEDIATELY ran to their car to evacuate and within 45 seconds they were surrounded and had to take refuge in a swimming pool. One survived, the other didn’t

Ponn

Banned
Wouldn't blame em.

And when all is said and done I hope the firefighters and other first responders get a ticker tape parade, medals and some nice paid vacations. They more than deserve it, going at these fires non-stop, without sleep, and still going at this moment.

The sad reality is these huge wild fires have been an every summer thing for awhile now and are almost to the point of going all year long. I have no idea how these firefighters are keeping it up but they are some damn heroes for doing it.

Haines

Banned

Ford commercial that's for sure

Good thing she was in good running condition

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Wouldn't blame em.

Very very doubtful a single firefighter would want a parade. They would probably prefer a bonus. I doubt many even feel very much like the heroes they are.

ATF487

That was some CLUTCH driving and decision making. Deciding not to stay put, following the power lines, dodging a tree in near zero visibility, and then busting through a gate.

Yeah, they were animated but still very logical which is amazing considering the circumstances.

Footage was nuts. I'm very glad that the worst I have to deal with is the occasional nor'easter.

Skab

You should probably read up on how these things work before you make comments like this.

I'm glad they got out of there. Escaping by car is a valid choice but most people don't know how incredibly HOT the car can get rather quickly. A lot of people die in their cars. Something a lot of people don't seem to know as well, based on this thread, is how fucking fast these fires can spread, across rivers and everything. It's fucking scary.

I'm glad they got out of there. Escaping by car is a valid choice but most people don't know how incredibly HOT the car can get rather quickly. A lot of people die in their cars. Something a lot of people don't seem to know as well, based on this thread, is how fucking fast these fires can spread, across rivers and everything. It's fucking scary.

Yeah, I had taken for granted that people understood fire.

So, for those who don't understand here are some basics.

Burning in this sense is the process of oxygen bonding to carbon in burnable material at high temperature. This produces carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide.

Fires can move quickly, they can create their own weather as hot air rises. This pulls in cool oxygen rich air to replace it.

Really hot air rises really fast, this makes the cooler air move in really fast as well.

This wind feeds the fire more oxygen and makes the fire hotter.

Eventually, the air around a fire can get so hot that things outside of the burning area start to bond with the heated oxygen in the air and the fire jumps to a new area. This is how they can cross streets or rivers.

The hotter the fire, the hotter and harder the winds blow, the faster the fire can spread.

This is all without taking into account actual weather patterns and winds acting as an outside force on a fire. High winds, storms, and other weather can also cause fires to be even more damaging.

Here's a video about a very rare fire tornado (not to be confused with fire whirls) in which a fire actually generated a tornado-producing thunderstorm. (pyrocumulonimbus storm)

It's fascinating and terrifying.

rekameohs

Banned

You ever hear the phrase “spread like wildfire”? Turns out....that’s a reference to something!

Nephtis

I've seen how a home can go from completely fine to totally engulfed in flames in less than a minute.

California had a ridiclously long drought that they were barely starting to get out of. I can imagine everything going up in flames super fast, with little to no time to escape. I'm glad they are okay.

Anyone who thinks this couldn't have happened that fast should watch the video of the Bradford City Stadium Fire.

Note the video is only 2 minutes in duration. And that's not even in a forest. Multiply that by about 10 if you want an idea of how fast an actual wildfire can spread when it can jump from treetop to treetop.

mm04

Yeah, they were animated but still very logical which is amazing considering the circumstances.

Footage was nuts. I'm very glad that the worst I have to deal with is the occasional nor'easter.

Yeah, following the power lines was ridiculously heady. I would've driven into a ditch and been done for.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Thats my thought, "WE'RE GUNNA FUCKIN DIE WE GOTTA GET OUT OF HERE, I CAN'T BREATHE DUDE GOOD THING I'M FILMING ALL THIS FOR YOUTUBE"
Humans, throughout history have had the urge to document their final moments. I dunno.

“I was here.”

Is a pretty basic human response to tough times

Thats my thought, "WE'RE GUNNA FUCKIN DIE WE GOTTA GET OUT OF HERE, I CAN'T BREATHE DUDE GOOD THING I'M FILMING ALL THIS FOR YOUTUBE"

This sentiment would make sense if it were 1997 and everyone didn’t have a camera in their fucking pocket.

It’s not like he had to run back into his burning house to grab the trusty camcorder.

StoneFox

Crazy how the sparks were flying almost perpendicular to the ground. If it wasn't a life or death situation it would be almost beautiful.

Madventure

Holy shit. I thought they delt with the fire already. It's STILL raging on?

Atlas Fire 51,057 acres is 65% contained, Nuns Fire 48,627 acres is 40% Contained (It was previously two fires that combained into one larger fire), Tubbs Fire 44,881 acres is 60% contained, Pocket Fire 11,889 is 30% contained, Oakmont Fire 575 acres is 15% Contained

Those are just the ones I know of (Not included ones that are already out) These have been going on for basically a week now

I mean, why would the car overheat when even that guy was perfectly capable of walking outside? It's hot but not that hot.

Top Bottom