• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA shuts down Visceral, moves Star Wars game to EA Vancouver/others

There we go, just as prophetic as it ever was...

vMK5YRW.png

Props to Wozman23 for his alterations.

Erevador

Yikes when EA isn't comfortable releasing a linear game based on the Star Wars IP I wonder if we'll ever see that kind of game from them again, probably not.
Still time for folks to actually buy The Evil Within 2... a great linear game with zero of this bullshit.

JABEE

I, for one, am looking forward to the future where every game requires an internet connection and you can't play it any more once the service is shut down.

*Goes back to playing SNES games without issue*

Seriously. These companies couldn't give two shits about video games as an art form.

Once it costs a nickel too much to run the authentication servers, they will kill the games.

Sony, Microsoft, EA, all these companies will do the same thing.

I don't want to hear any of these companies claim they care about video games as an art form like cinema or the written word.

We will soon see video games become the new Vegas. In a world where our entire lives are online, the little digital trinkets won in games of chance will drive the market. Overwatch emotes will be how you keep up with the Joneses.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I hate EA with a passion but that 2010 point is so fucking stupid,
Media was absolutely throwing a fit about the Taliban being an MP faction, so they changed the name and nothing else.

who cares.
It's 4chan, aka a racist misogynistic cesspool, what do you expect?

Sami+

Obviously late to the party but fuck EA. IF Battlefront has an amazing campaign I'll get that shit used. No thanks.

This seems like such a waste. A third person, story-based, linear adventure game is exactly what I wanted out of the Star Wars universe, and after her departure from Naughty Dog I was very curious to see where Amy Hennig was going to take it.

Currently I am sticking to the theory that it's another case of EA not working, and this particular project has been a disaster that made management flick the trigger. I heavily doubt it's a GaaS thing as a lot of people imply, because if you go with "patches are GaaS" definition of GaaS, then making the thing have significant amount of GaaS would be very easy. Making it a fundamental part of the game is a different story but then you have quite a few examples to it not being needed for success, so, well.

By the way, is there any reason why EA never SELLS these companies? Like if they're not going to do anything with these guys anymore I don't really see why they're never up for sale or just let go but EA retains all IP rights (not that they even do much with those anyway) or something to that effect. They always just go straight into the trashcan.

A problem with EA is that they are actively assimilating every owned studio into using unified set of proprietary technology like Frostbite. I can only speculate that this makes such a studio virtually worthless for the outside world unless things are going well at it and there's no good reason to sell it in the first place. Then again that probably mostly covers programmers and not everyone else so what do I know.

Keep chasing that GaaS dragon, suits. I'll just stick to Dota.
This post can be understood in several ways. Note that there was a moment when there were loads of MOBAs launched every week... the thing is, people who wanted MOBAs already had their favorite MOBAs so there were a few mild successes, and nothing got close to LoL and D2, arguably D2 didn't get close to LoL either but it is definitely on a level of its own. The GaaS space as a whole is bigger, but it is probably also finite, while it's not the case with traditional single player games - same with music or cable/satellite subscriptions, you don't really expect people to get multiple.

The future we're moving towards is basically an MMO type model, you buy the game for full price, pay an expensive subscription every month, the game will have a F2P style economy with MTs/Lootboxes, and it will have full priced expansions every year to make up for the lack of annual games.

"This is the only game you need".

Good point, but if it never sees the light of day or the game somehow flops, it could really be bad for Respawn.

That's definitely true. I guess one difference with them is that since they're independent it means they can look elsewhere for work. It's hard to imagine a studio with that much talent struggling to find work. Particularly when they're a studio that specializes in an extremely popular genre.

But hopefully it won't come to that and their SW game will come along just fine. That and not releasing Titanfall 3 in an extremely crowded window.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Fuck sake like

Was so looking forward to a linear Star Wars game so I hope they keep that idea

I want linear, open world rpg, and multiplayer ( battlefront Star Wars )

EA are trash tier. I think the only game I've bought that they published in the past 20 years is a Dragon Age game. They've always been bottom of the barrel for me. Activision isn't much better either.

Look, I loved what EA Redwood Shores did on Dead Space. I loved what they did under their new name on Dead Space 2. Dead Space 3... eh. It was okay. Glad it existed, but it's pretty much my definition of an eight out of ten.

But this isn't the same as all the other studios EA put out to pasture. This was an internal team, from the very beginning.

You can't put them in the same group as Westwood or Bullfrog or Criterion or whoever, who were bought out by EA before they got shut down later on.

This studio worked out of EA's corporate headquarters.

I'm not happy at this team getting let go. I got to meet a bunch of them before Dead Space came out, and they were genuinely excited about their game (and they had every right to be). But it's a different story this time.

The rogue internal team who literally made a name for themselves, before corporate meddling slowly brought them down... vs the independent studio who got bought out.

I'm not defending EA here either, incase anyone gets the wrong idea. I'm just trying to make sure people have a clear picture of what happened this time... and that they understand this was always an internal team.

I wish everyone at Visceral the best, and I'm sure they will land on their feet as other Visceral staffers who jumped ship seem to have done.

Mahonay

Banned
Fuck.

I'll hunt everyone at EA down if they dare to touch Bioware.
Current Bioware is a shell of it's former self. Not that I want to see them go out of business, but they're not the same Bioware that made Mass Effect 1 & 2.

they're working on a pretty massive project anyway with Anthem

Yazzees

This post can be understood in several ways. Note that there was a moment when there were loads of MOBAs launched every week... the thing is, people who wanted MOBAs already had their favorite MOBAs so there were a few mild successes, and nothing got close to LoL and D2, arguably D2 didn't get close to LoL either but it is definitely on a level of its own. The GaaS space as a whole is bigger, but it is probably also finite, while it's not the case with traditional single player games - same with music or cable/satellite subscriptions, you don't really expect people to get multiple.

That was my point exactly. I was thinking games like For Honor and The Division falling off a damn cliff after a while would've made it more obvious to publishers but nah.

remember that DC moba lmfao

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Inquisition is a top 15 game for me, so BioWare is probably still capable of making me happy.

That is, presuming DA4 isn't Destiny'd now.

Which.

I mean.

Um.

I make myself morose.

Top Bottom