• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Games On Demand Thread - Reasonable prices only

Curufinwe

There was an old thread with a similar title, but it was never updated so I felt a new one was in order. I really enjoy the convenience of having full games on my hard drive and not having to swap discs, especially for games that take 20+ hours to finish, so I plan to keep the OP updated with all the interesting games available on Games on Demand for prices that are close to what they cost to buy new from places like Amazon. By interesting I mean games are either still fairly new or slightly rare - I won't be putting in every old game that goes for US $19.99. But suggestions are very welcome.

Games On Demand Marketplace

And you can pay for Games on Demand titles in MS Points. You just need to press the X button on the checkout screen to switch from your local currency to Microsoft Points.

Bleepey

I don't know about the US but I can find all those games for about 1/4 of those prices first hand at retail. But they are fair.

Gaspode_T

My latest pickup from there was Raiden Fighters Aces ($19) - techno music, kind of spazzy game but if you dislike the bullet hell shooters but still like frentic shooting games then maybe this fits some sort of middle ground for old farts like me.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/RAIDEN-FIGHTERS-ACES/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802564707d3

I have told myself that I will only have 2 or 3 Games on Demand installed because they take so much space, unfortunately the first games I got were Bayonetta and Tales of Versperia and I am still crawling my way through those while playing other games so many months later. I think I have 30 or 40 hours in each of them but I don't feel even near done...I guess that is the advantage of not having to worry about going and finding a disc, if I want some visual entertainment I will play Bayonetta once and a while. Really wish it was the "20 Buck Store" but unfortunately it is more like the 50 Buck and One and a Blue Moon 20 Store

Curufinwe

I just used 400 MS Points I got for free from Bing Rewards and a 1600 Point code from Amazon to get Deus Ex.

Beautiful katamari at $19.99 is a good deal.

Added since it's going for $25+ on Amazon, although, if you have a PS3 I think Katamari Forever is the better game

vall03

I want to bitch about this as much as I can because I really don't like the policy of MS. Fuck ip-lock on GoD! I've always been staring at Deathsmiles IIX but can't buy it because it will just say "Not available in your region"

C4Lukins

Good idea for a thread. Prior to reading this, I still thought that all games were hopelessly overpriced.

There are a lot of older games that you can no longer find at retail, that are at a reasonable price. Well at least you would have a tough time finding them new. Then there is weird shit like that 50 Cent game which I always wanted to play that is 59.99 still.

mujun

I want to bitch about this as much as I can because I really don't like the policy of MS. Fuck ip-lock on GoD! I've always been staring at Deathsmiles IIX but can't buy it because it will just say "Not available in your region"

I don't think they're IP locked. I think that they are basically exactly the same as their disc counterparts, if the disc is region free so is the GoD. As far as I know, anyway.

vall03

I don't think they're IP locked. I think that they are basically exactly the same as their disc counterparts, if the disc is region free so is the GoD. As far as I know, anyway.

are you sure? because Ive read that almost all GoD are ip-locked and I seriously don't want to risk it. I can download Arcade games with no problems though. But before I get my hopes up, anyone outside of US able to buy GoD games?

Gaspode_T

Yes I am pretty sure Deathsmiles IIX is region free, only a few other games are totally region free like that...if you try to buy it it will block you before charging you anyway (if it wants to block you) People who are very desperate to play games or watch content outside of their own country often use proxy services, I would never use a free or cheap online proxy for security reasons but some of the paid ones are apparently pretty reliable these days.

Fox Mulder

There are a lot of older games that you can no longer find at retail, that are at a reasonable price. Well at least you would have a tough time finding them new. Then there is weird shit like that 50 Cent game which I always wanted to play that is 59.99 still.

The 50 cent game is half that at GameStop, and can be had for $15 or less from ebay. DD prices on a closed console marketplace will always be insane for the most part, but there are a few exceptions.

bigace33

In the age of Amazon and Half.com, those prices are horrendous. not to mention being mostly a PC gamer who is used to getting Triple A titles for less than $7 a pop. I guess you pay for the convenience of downloading straight from your console, which has it's value...I guess. :^\

In the age of Amazon and Half.com, those prices are horrendous. not to mention being mostly a PC gamer who is used to getting Triple A titles for less than $7 a pop. I guess you pay for the convenience of downloading straight from your console, which has it's value...I guess. :^
There are other intrinsic values in digitally distributed games, and specifically ones on the Xbox Marketplace:

1) Your game cannot be damaged, lost, or stolen, so long as the service is running and you have an active account (the downside being it cannot be lent, gifted, or sold).

2) Your game can be played simultaneously, on up to 2 consoles (even in online multiplayer, provided you are using XBL accounts): the owner console, which is the one that initially downloaded it (usable by any profile, online or offline) and on any other console (usable by the owner's profile, online only). The owner console can be changed as often as every 6 months using the License Migration Tool on xbox.com.

3) GonD purchases can be made with MS points, which can be bought at a discount (one Black Friday I saw $20 cards for $13), or purchased at certain retailers using their own discounts (I use a Best Buy Reward Zone Master Card to earn gift certificates to purchase points cards).

4) Having GonD software streamlines the overall Xbox LIVE experience. Game invites to GonD titles you own can be immediately accepted, and the game will automatically boot. Multi-disc games can be consolidated, eliminating disc-swaps and reducing install size (as in the 3-disc L.A. Noire).

Fox Mulder

3) GonD purchases can be made with MS points, which can be bought at a discount (one Black Friday I saw $20 cards for $13), or purchased at certain retailers using their own discounts (I use a Best Buy Reward Zone Master Card to earn gift certificates to purchase points cards).

I've bought discounted MS points a number of times, but really use them for XBLA stuff. The benefit of using them for GoD titles is largely lost since physical versions of the same game are almost always available for far cheaper.

Curufinwe

I will add those since by default their Games on Demand prices are the most reasonable around.

In the age of Amazon and Half.com, those prices are horrendous.

Please link to new copies of the games in the OP that sell for significantly less on Amazon. I had Deus Ex on my Amazon wishlist and it was $29.99, so when I saw that it was $5 cheaper via Games on Demand I decided to buy it, and to make this thread.

Mass Effect 1 for 19.99.

I think I own about 10 Games on Demand now. Nice to just be able to fire up any of them I want whenever I want.

GTA IV is $19.99

$18.37 new on Amazon for a physical copy, but seriously, a game that is best to own digitally. Never gets old.

Amazon has the Complete Edition for $20. If you buy IV on Games on Demand and like it enough to want to try the expansions, you have to buy $30 more for content that comes with the retail version. I do agree that it's a nice game to have on the hard drive, not nice enough to warrant the premium though.

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record recently went up for $20, which I thought was pretty reasonable. Another games that's nice to have easy access to.

BioShock is also only $20, though you'll pay less for that one on Amazon.

C4Lukins

The games I have purchased On Demand:

Dead Space: 19.99
Bully: 19.99
Battlefield Bad Company 2: 19.99
Just Cause 2: 29.99
Deus Ex: 24.99

Those were at least the prices when I got them.

Yuripaw

Banned
I don't know how Mass Effect 1 has not been mentioned yet. It's only $19.99 on GoD, when you it's still $30 at a place like gamestop used.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I think whether or not Resonance of Fate is worth $25 is debatable >_>

Daigoro

Amazon has the Complete Edition for $20. If you buy IV on Games on Demand and like it enough to want to try the expansions, you have to buy $30 more for content that comes with the retail version. I do agree that it's a nice game to have on the hard drive, not nice enough to warrant the premium though.

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record recently went up for $20, which I thought was pretty reasonable. Another games that's nice to have easy access to.

BioShock is also only $20, though you'll pay less for that one on Amazon.

oh snap. might have to pick that one up.

vixlar

Both Blaz Blue games are in GonD and are at good price (don't know about american price, but they are cheap on mexican pesos)

Civilization Revolution is at good price too, but I think is better to try to get it physical.

They need to add a 9.99 option.

Never happen. They have to draw a line between the GoD retail games and XBLA, and $19.99/1600 points is it. It's a matter of keeping retail and content partners happy. I could imagine that anyone releasing a game on XBLA is not going to be happy competing with Bioshock and Assassin's Creed at a lower price.

Top Bottom