• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Games On Demand Thread - Reasonable prices only

Daigoro

They need to add a 9.99 option.

yes they do! or some good sales avery month or so. something...

yeah, I also picked that up on GoD right away when it showed up for $20. I still haven't started the story mode, but I played sandbox mode for hours and hours when I first got it.

i want it!

Both Blaz Blue games are in GonD and are at good price (don't know about american price, but they are cheap on mexican pesos)

Civilization Revolution is at good price too, but I think is better to try to get it physical.

i was going to mention Civ Rev. $20 is about the going price for it on disc new. i actually own that on GoD.

and yeah, prices definitely vary based on where you are. maybe some deals from other regions should be posted as well.

Sydle

Tales of Vesperia is tempting. Anyone recommend it if I liked Lost Odyssey and FFXII, but hated FFXIII and DQ?

Yuripaw

Banned
Never happen. They have to draw a line between the GoD retail games and XBLA, and $19.99/1600 points is it. It's a matter of keeping retail and content partners happy. I could imagine that anyone releasing a game on XBLA is not going to be happy competing with Bioshock and Assassin's Creed at a lower price.

I find that to be bull shit, considering they're willing to cross the line on XBLA games. Minecraft was priced at 1600MSP/$20. So it's ok for XBLA games to be just as expensive as retail games, but GoD games can't be as cheap as XBLA games?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't GoD have Metro for $22 once? Why'd it change back to $30?

Gaspode_T

Tales of Vesperia is tempting. Anyone recommend it if I liked Lost Odyssey and FFXII, but hated FFXIII and DQ?

It's totally different than Lost Odyssey...I don't know what to compare it to, it seems pretty easy until a few hours in where a wolf boss will hand your butt to you on a platter. It's more similar to DQ than FF but battles are not turn based it's semi-action based.

The voice acting is top notch and nice besides one annoying character (but every JRPG has an annoying sidekick)

There is not much to pick from besides this game - Blue Dragon is about the only comparable thing on 360.

I find that to be bull shit, considering they're willing to cross the line on XBLA games. Minecraft was priced at 1600MSP/$20. So it's ok for XBLA games to be just as expensive as retail games, but GoD games can't be as cheap as XBLA games?
Yes. One game. Minecraft. Having a game from XBLA cross the line does not potentially damage GoD value the way having GoD routinely price at or below XBLA prices would possible hurt XBLA game sales. Can your average XBLA game routinely compete with a big budget retail release?

Never happen. They have to draw a line between the GoD retail games and XBLA, and $19.99/1600 points is it. It's a matter of keeping retail and content partners happy. I could imagine that anyone releasing a game on XBLA is not going to be happy competing with Bioshock and Assassin's Creed at a lower price.

XBLA has nothing to do with it. GOD prices are just simply the MSRP prices and you would never have a retail game sell for a $10 MSRP because there just isn't enough of a margin to go around at that low of a price.

Gaspode_T

As far as I can tell, besides sales there is almost 100% price parity between the PSN and Xbox Games on Demand services, which tells me that publishers are actually influencing the situation the most, because trust me I am sure one or the other would be trying their damndest to underprice the other one. The trickiest thing is for games that have high MSRP but sold with a low print run and not really available anymore at retail...those are the games that really need to be $19. Williams Pinball is a great example.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle of all of our theories. Publisher pressure, MSRP, proper pricing tiers for the variety of products offered. Bottom line, other than the occasional sale, $19.99 is the lower limit. It may change with the generation change next year, but for now, thats where the price stays.

Alphahawk

I feel like MS had good intentions with the program but didn't go far enough.

If they had offered substantial monitary benefits from the start, I think they could have honestly competed with Gamestop in terms of sales. However they just got too greedy. No ones going to buy the first Bioshock for $20 when they can get a used copy from Gamespot for $10. They are betting on convenience making up for the price difference, but for me buying a retail game off of Xbox Live is a huge hassle as it takes forever to download and on top of that I have to delete a bunch of stuff from my hard drive. Why would I do this when, in most cases, I could just go down to the gamestop buy it cheaper, and be playing it sooner than if I downloaded it?

Even if there was a publisher push back that resulted in Microsoft not pricing anything below $20, I believe that Microsoft should of just taken the hit. They're one of the biggest names in console games right now, if they need publishers to lower the price of games they might bitch and moan, but in the end they'll do it.

Some of the games on so called GAMES ON DEMAND are also available on PSN and they do go on sale for 10.

Assassin's Creed games have been on sale on PSN, both 1 and 2 for 10 each. The only sale we saw on "Games on Demand" is First party weirdly priced SHIT.

I am waiting for

RE4, Crysis and BulletStorm to go to on sale for 10 to 15 max.

Some of the games on so called GAMES ON DEMAND are also available on PSN and they do go on sale for 10.

Assassin's Creed games have been on sale on PSN, both 1 and 2 for 10 each. The only sale we saw on "Games on Demand" is First party weirdly priced SHIT.

I am waiting for

RE4, Crysis and BulletStorm to go to on sale for 10 to 15 max.
Sale, not regular price.

Yuripaw

Banned
Sale, not regular price.

I think that still counts though. It shows on PSN that publishers are willing to actually do sales like that on their games, and aren't afraid to lower their prices to that point. On Xbox 360 I don't think I've ever seen a GoD game priced under $19.99 even on sale. Makes it look like Microsoft is less willing to have the prices be that low.

I think that still counts though. It shows on PSN that publishers are willing to actually do sales like that on their games, and aren't afraid to lower their prices to that point. On Xbox 360 I don't think I've ever seen a GoD game priced under $19.99 even on sale. Makes it look like Microsoft is less willing to have the prices be that low.
They have had sales down to 1200 points. I bought Saint's Row 2 at that price, and something else as well (maybe The Darkness?).

DasRaven

These guys are insane. They just put Ninja Gaiden II up....... for $45!

And you know what's sad, I'm still going to buy it despite having the disk already.
I'm just waiting for a decent enough points sale to bring the price down $5 or so.

I already bought Raiden IV GoD the same way.

fernoca

GoD Sale this week, 75% off, titles TBD at this time.
I fully expect this to be full of Kinect and EA games, but here's to hoping.
Sale seems to be next week, as it was edited and now it says that it starts on June 19....

At the same time, a few Games on Demand appeared with a lower price under the 'Recently Reduced' tab:

• Fallout New Vegas: $19.99 ($29.99)
  • Fallout 3: $19.99 ($29.99)
  • The Elder Scrolls Oblivion: $19.99 ($29.99)
  • Need for Speed Hot Pursuit: $19.99 ($59.99)
  • Frontlines: $19.99 ($24.99)
  • MX vs ATV Untamed: $14.99 ($19.99)
  • The Biggest Loser: $19.99 ($29.99)
  • Stuntman: $14.99 ($19.99)
  • Transformer War for Cybertron: $29.99 ($39.99)
  • de Blob 2: $14.99 ($19.99)

Usually games in that tab are permanent price drops and not sales.

de Blob 2 for 1200 Microsoft Points is quite an awesome price for an awesome game. :)

Z_Y

Borderlands is $12.99 for some reason. I just bought the GotY edition for $24 so I'm not sure how I feel about this yet.

Is this part of some unannounced sale? Anything else out there?

Borderlands GoD

Fox Mulder

When did Xbox originals drop to 800 points? Seems like all the ones I looked at are that price now, I may get some now.

I also noticed how stupid MS is with labeling games. Psychonauts isn't listed in the P section, it's under F listed as "Full Game - Psychonauts". I had to google it just to find the game. Only a few games have this difference. Makes no sense.

Orca

When did Xbox originals drop to 800 points? Seems like all the ones I looked at are that price now, I may get some now.

I also noticed how stupid MS is with labeling games. Psychonauts isn't listed in the P section, it's under F listed as "Full Game - Psychonauts". I had to google it just to find the game. Only a few games have this difference. Makes no sense.

Seems more like someone screwed up in tagging it than a deliberate decision. Any way to report it?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Oh damn, this is awesome. Might have to pick up San Andreas.

Daigoro

seems like there are a good bunch of recent GoD games up at $20.

just today i saw, Dead Rising 2 OTR, Alice, Shadows of the Damned, Katamari and Borderlands.

not bad. they can be had cheaper, but these are reasonable prices for these games. maybe they can be added to the OP. i bet there are some more decent games out there at $20. too bad you cant sort by price on the XBOX site.

also listed above, Rayman, and Fernoca's list. not a bad group of games for a decent price.

Tomat

I'm considering picking up one of these three:
Batman: Arkham city $29.99($29.99 new at Gamestop)
Shadows of the Damned $19.99($19.99)
Tales of Vesperia $29.99($39.99)

I know everyone here thinks the ToV price is worth it, but how about the other two games?

8bit

Knows the Score
I'm considering picking up one of these three:

Shadows of the Damned $19.99($19.99)

Personally I think Shadows of the Damned is a steal at that price, but it's not a game for everyone. If you can get past the penis jokes you'll have a blast.

Tomat

Personally I think Shadows of the Damned is a steal at that price, but it's not a game for everyone. If you can get past the penis jokes you'll have a blast.

I figure I can, I like other games Suda51 has worked on. The characters and the world seem goofy and interesting enough. I'm assuming it plays similar to RE4/5 as far as combat goes (tank controls).

If that Batman: Arkham City comes with all the DLC then its a great deal. If it does not then you might as well get the latest re-release as its also $30 with everything.

Ahh, yeah, you're right. I had forgotten that existed. I'll hold off on that.

LQX

If that Batman: Arkham City comes with all the DLC then its a great deal. If it does not then you might as well get the latest re-release as its also $30 with everything.

FracturedZero

Neo Member
Some updates as of 3:00am this morning.

Code Veronica is $12.99
Crysis $14.99
Burnout Revenge and Paradise $14.99

There is quite a few more at $14.99 that I can't think of at the moment.

LuchaShaq

Banned
It's telling that this thread is only two pages long since the pricing on these games is insane.

I can't tell you how many times me or the gf would have bought something on demand as a whim if they were 10-15 $ then realized they were 30-60 and said fuck it and bought a 10$ or less physical copy on amazon we then resold after or just got it through gamefly.

Daigoro

Some updates as of 3:00am this morning.

Code Veronica is $12.99
Crysis $14.99
Burnout Revenge and Paradise $14.99

There is quite a few more at $14.99 that I can't think of at the moment.

what's this all about then? a sale or permanant drop? been waiting on RE CV myself.

anyone know?

It's telling that this thread is only two pages long since the pricing on these games is insane.

I can't tell you how many times me or the gf would have bought something on demand as a whim if they were 10-15 $ then realized they were 30-60 and said fuck it and bought a 10$ or less physical copy on amazon we then resold after or just got it through gamefly.

it's well known that this crap is overpriced, hence the thread.

Vert boil

Is there a place I can look to see when they will add games to the GOD?

Twice a month there is a post here http://majornelson.com/ that lists what is going to be post in the coming fortnight.

For games that have already come out look here - http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Games/GamesOnDemand?sortby=ReleaseDate&PageSize=90&Page=1

what's this all about then? a sale or permanant drop? been waiting on RE CV myself.

anyone know?

It's a mix, there have been one day sales on individual GoD games in the US for the past 4ish weeks. There is usually a panel for it on the sales section in the game marketplace.

They've also been permanently reducing a lot of GoD games over the last few months as well. Apart from the panel on the Game marketplace there isn't (that I know of) a reliable official source to separates them. If you pay attention you can spot them yourself by noticing the price or making an educated guess.

Code Veronica was a one day sale and the price has gone back to normal. It looks like it was replaced by GTA4.

donny2112

xbldb.com seems to do a good job catching the price changes, including for Games On Demand. They're not an official source, though.

Tomat

Ended up buying Shadows of the Damned and Crysis this morning.

I am enjoying SotD so far, no regrets yet! Haven't gotten around to playing Crysis just yet.

def sim

I already bought this on PS3, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the MGS HD Collection show up on GoD for $25. Console DD is slowly getting better, huh?

Daigoro

yeah the MGS games are a good price. add that to the list.

It's a mix, there have been one day sales on individual GoD games in the US for the past 4ish weeks. There is usually a panel for it on the sales section in the game marketplace.

They've also been permanently reducing a lot of GoD games over the last few months as well. Apart from the panel on the Game marketplace there isn't (that I know of) a reliable official source to separates them. If you pay attention you can spot them yourself by noticing the price or making an educated guess.

Code Veronica was a one day sale and the price has gone back to normal. It looks like it was replaced by GTA4.

yeah, i know about the recent sales. i was just wondering about the batch of games posted in general, it was kind of vague.

too bad aboud RE CV. i missed the sale.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Crysis and MGS HD are both very tempting. How good is the port of Crysis 1? I enjoyed Crysis 2 on 360.

MS are so sly at reducing these titles, I hope they do a proper sale again soon doubt it would include any of the newer games though.

Good to see discounts though.

Top Bottom