• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted Confirmed for Wii U in 2013

Effect

I refuse to believe companies run in such a childish level, I mean, itsn't the money all that really matter?

Control and monopolization is also important. Something EA would want and has tried to get in the past. Look at their hold on NFL, etc games. They sort of pulled this crap with Sega on the Dreamcast by withholding their titles because they didn't want to compete with the 2K brand. Or so the story goes and they did withhold their titles. This is why this rumor isn't really dismissed out right I think. Something did change between them and there are EA's past actions to look at.

That's him. Cheers, lads. I still reckon EA thought they'd use Nintendo as a stepping stone for their online shenanigans. "Look, everyone! Even Nintento is using Origin for everything on their system. Soooo awesome!" But I bet Activision & Ubisoft probably told Nintendo not to bother or miss out on Call of Duty and Rayman. :p

Or they saw what Origin would bring to the system and figured they could do something comparable for cheaper, and they wouldn't have to give EA a cut.

Ridley327

Control and monopolization is also important. Something EA would want and has tried to get in the past. Look at their hold on NFL, etc games. They sort of pulled this crap with Sega on the Dreamcast by withholding their titles because they didn't want to compete with the 2K brand. Or so the story goes and they did withhold their titles. This is why this rumor isn't really dismissed out right I think. Something did change between them and there are EA's past actions to look at.

Don't forget coercing MS into killing their entire sports line in order to get EA's games playable on Xbox Live.

Granted, that wasn't that much of a loss outside of selling Amped to Take Two and Rallisport Challenge being forever dead, but it's sketch as hell.

Erethian

That's him. Cheers, lads. I still reckon EA thought they'd use Nintendo as a stepping stone for their online shenanigans. "Look, everyone! Even Nintento is using Origin for everything on their system. Soooo awesome!" But I bet Activision & Ubisoft probably told Nintendo not to bother or miss out on Call of Duty and Rayman. :p

Well while the Origin thing seems kind of crazy to me (but crazy enough to be true, I guess) it is interesting to note that when John Riccitiello came out on stage at the E3 2011 Nintendo press conference he basically just talked about the future of interconnected gaming experiences and whatnot.

What seems more likely, if we assume that Origin/online implementation is somehow involved, is that instead of Nintendo using Origin for their online, EA wanted to have a deep level of integration with the system for their own online platform. Sort of like Steam games being on PS3 but one step further. I mean EA has a history here of getting into conflict with all the console manufacturers on wanting to do their own thing with online stuff. Pretty sure some stuff went down with the original Xbox or the 360, can't remember which.

TunaLover

Well, not wanting to compete with 2K is sort of reasonable argument, but what exactly gains EA by not publishing Wii U games that can be cross developed?

Ridley327

Well while the Origin thing seems kind of crazy to me (but crazy enough to be true, I guess) it is interesting to note that when John Riccitiello came out on stage at the E3 2011 Nintendo press conference he basically just talked about the future of interconnected gaming experiences and whatnot.

What seems more likely, if we assume that Origin/online implementation is somehow involved, is that instead of Nintendo using Origin for their online, EA wanted to have a deep level of integration with the system for their own online platform. Sort of like Steam games being on PS3 but one step further. I mean EA has a history here of getting into conflict with all the console manufacturers on wanting to do their own thing with online stuff. Pretty sure some stuff went down with the original Xbox or the 360, can't remember which.

There really wasn't any conflict to speak of; MS bent over backwards to get EA on board, like the afforementioned slaying of the entire XSN series after only one year, as well as allowing EA to have players connect directly to their servers, rather than just using the matchmaking provided by Xbox Live.

Or they saw what Origin would bring to the system and figured they could do something comparable for cheaper, and they wouldn't have to give EA a cut.

Or better. Origin is a POS.

EA really need to pull their heads out of their collective asses. Thanks to their terrible Wii U support I have no intention of purchasing any of their titles for the foreseeable future. MAYBE Dead Space 3 but even that's unlikely. Porting that to Wii U with the RIG on the game pad is such a no brainer that it's not even funny.

This game is ready.

The late release is in hopes that people will double-dip for some reason.

No, it doesn't make sense to me, either.

3409542_o.gif

I really don't like EA.

The way I have heard it/understand it:

About six months after the release of Hot Pursuit, Nintendo, EA, and Criterion were working on Wii U devkits to port the engine to the system. Somewhere along the line, EA got really insistent about Autolog being mandatory for anyone with a Nintendo Network ID (which, back then, did not have a name or enough information for EA to go on).

Something broke down and EA decided Need for Speed did not need to be a Wii U launch title.

FyreWulff

It's Most Wanted with all the DLC already planned included on the disc.

It's not being held back in the hopes that people double dip.

Nintendo is well known for backpedaling in the last moment, just remember Nintendo-Sony partnership for PlayStation.

Nintendo is well known for backpeddling because of something that happened over 15 years ago? At least use a more recent example dude.

Either way, this is to EA's detriment. They will be the ones losing out on that launch money.

Erethian

There really wasn't any conflict to speak of; MS bent over backwards to get EA on board, like the afforementioned slaying of the entire XSN series after only one year, as well as allowing EA to have players connect directly to their servers, rather than just using the matchmaking provided by Xbox Live.

Conflict probably isn't the right word, yeah. I more meant that EA has a history of being really pushy on getting their own way on online stuff, much more so than the other major western publishers.

Scum

About six months after the release of Hot Pursuit, Nintendo, EA, and Criterion were working on Wii U devkits to port the engine to the system. Somewhere along the line, EA got really insistent about Autolog being mandatory for anyone with a Nintendo Network ID (which, back then, did not have a name or enough information for EA to go on).

Something broke down and EA decided Need for Speed did not need to be a Wii U launch title.

*sigh*
I wonder how Criteron feel about all this...

Drago

I can't even think of a way to describe how stupid that is. Wow.
Oh hey, you're a member now, cool.

Also, if EA puts this out for $60 when it releases with little to no bonuses then I'm just going to skip it and pick up the PS3 version or wait for WiiU price drop. I fully expect that, too. :(

RedSwirl

I'm just gonna go ahead and accept that maybe they didn't have the manpower for a fifth SKU, or started the port job too late to make day one.

Either way, it better have a least a price drop or some extra content.

Actually, holy shit, imagine Mario Kart content making it in there...

Pharros

I think this makes the least amount of sense to me because in general you will sell more copies during a consoles launch. I know early 2013 probably isn't far off, but as a launch title they would most definitely get more sales.. This double dipping crap is simply hilarious.

Effect

Nintendo is well known for backpedaling in the last moment, just remember Nintendo-Sony partnership for PlayStation.

There is more to that story I believe but people keep forgetting that. Sony isn't innocent and played a part in why Nintendo did what it did.

Ridley327

There is more to that story I believe but people keep forgetting that. Sony isn't innocent and played a part in why Nintendo did what it did.

Ah yes, the hidden "we get to use your IPs and not pay you a single cent for them" clause that Sony tried to sneak in there.

I'm just gonna go ahead and accept that maybe they didn't have the manpower for a fifth SKU, or started the port job too late to make day one.

Either way, it better have a least a price drop or some extra content.

Actually, holy shit, imagine Mario Kart content making it in there...

You might want to read Alberto's posts...or maybe not, ignorance is bliss.

Oh I didn't think he seriously knew. So they're literally just sitting on it? Maybe some part of the online infrastructure for the Wii U not ready at launch?

EA just probably thinks launch is too crowded and they'll get more sales post launch but why push it into 2013? Just release it in early December or something.

Ridley327

Can somebody explain what autolog is to me?

Autolog is an online feature that Criterion introduced in their Hot Pursuit game that essentially is a constantly morphing and social leaderboard for your friends. You get instant updates on records they set and the option to hop right into that challenge to try and beat their record.

Autolog is an online feature that Criterion introduced in their Hot Pursuit game that essentially is a constantly morphing and social leaderboard for your friends. You get instant updates on records they set and the option to hop right into that challenge to try and beat their record.

How would you make this feature mandatory even for people with NNIDs who do not own the game? A required mini-app a la Mario Kart Wii Channel?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Lol EA. Actively trying to handicap their own software on a brand new system.

Now why would they do that?

Scum

EA just probably thinks launch is too crowded and they'll get more sales post launch but why push it into 2013? Just release it in early December or something.

Like Diablo stated earlier, EA could have had a racing title at launch with no competition whatsoever. Now most people will not give a toss about the game when it shows up next year, right after they announce the next one for every other console and gaming device under the Sun.

Nifty but requiring online and giving EA yor NN credentials for a game a lot of folks will want to play SP only? Stupid.

Ridley327

How would you make this feature mandatory even for people with NNIDs who do not own the game? A required mini-app a la Mario Kart Wii Channel?

I think that ties back into the idea of EA trying to make Origin the Wii U's online infrastructure. You can imagine that even in a reduced state of prominence, why Nintendo would be so skittish around relinquishing that level of control on a hardware level.

This game is ready.

The late release is in hopes that people will double-dip for some reason.

No, it doesn't make sense to me, either.

Now this all sounds like a strange personal vendetta to get back at Nintendo for not getting their way? Like the Mass Effect 3 Special Edition FU and every EA Sports WiiU title having some strange missing feature.

I was happy to wait for Need For Speed Most Wanted when I read the 2013 news earlier thinking hey they needed more time. But these are some serious shit if true that the game is ready but they just want to say fuck you Nintendo seems like a very strange way to run a business especially if the truth got out and fans got pissed off.

If this version somehow runs at 60fps it might push me to buy a WiiU.

I highly doubt that will be the case though, but it will be interesting to see what Criterion can do with that hardware.

Top Bottom