• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xing Interactive: Our sources say next Xbox will block used games, require online

Well, yes and no.

I think in this case no. Because online being a requirement would lose them far more customers than it would gain.

I don't think anyone would argue this move would get them more customers. The argument is that it would force a substantial number of previously offline consumers online. These consumers would be more easily advertised to and at least able to partake on MS's online revenue streams which are likely to be the money makers for MS going forward.

Of the customers they do manage to get, most would not buy much digital content given they'd more than likely know that that content is useless now and in the future without a connection. Even more so if and when Microsoft shuts down those Live servers.

You're making an assumption that consumers are going to see the longview on this. How many customers really care whether or not they can play their games 10-15 years down the road? The conscience consumer is not the norm. If anything, with games available at the push of a button, people are likely going to purchase more (Or at least that would be the line of logic from MS).

I mean, I've bought around 50 arcade games and a handful of games on demand, some DLC etc etc. no fucking way in hell will I buy much if at all on this new Xbox if I know a connection is required. I'm the customer Microsoft wants, and they wouldn't get much out of me if they go through with this.

So again, there is literally no monetary value in this for Microsoft. So you can't have MS haters on their high horse on one hand claiming Microsoft are an evil money hungry organization, but then they can fully believe Microsoft would make an anti consumer move that makes them NO money.

Surely you see how illogical that is?

There is a big difference between any consumer and a high value consumer for most businesses. You are a high value consumer to MS, but a lot of consumers are not. A consumer that buys a console, and a few games a year is making MS very little money. A consumer who buys a console, an xbox live subscription, DLC, rents movies, ect, is making MS a lot of money. If MS can force enough of those low value consumers into connecting their Xbox's, they'll have access to and therefore be more likely to partake in those services and become high value customers. It isn't about you. You're already where MS wants you. It's about the wider market. MS can afford to lose a bunch of low value customers if the numbers show they'll be transforming some of them into high value customers in the transaction.

The fact that Microsoft hasn't debunked these rumors, is saying things. I can't even understand why they want to do this. Specially used game blocking, that is very stupid. And always on is even stupider. Not everyone has a reliable connection. So people with spotty connections are going to have trouble, even playing a "single player" game?
MS staff response to any rumors
hX7Bbv8.gif

(And that's why adam orth get fired because he do give a fuck about medias)

The full interview make me feel this company run by idiot

How dare you accuse the purveyors of such fine software such as "War Operators" and "Dweebs 3: Furbidden Planet" of being staffed by idiots. They have gone beyond traditional distribution and immediately go to the clearance rack of your local supermarket for your convenience. It is clearly the smartest distribution model in this industry right now.

You may chortle, but bad dig dug ripoffs are clearly the future and these guys, these are big players in the market. So when Xing says the next X-Box is going to be always online. You stand up and pay attention dear boy.

Grecco

a guy giving hearsay because he doesnt know directly but heard from"sources" so a rumor from a rumor. Sounds legit!

360 is my primary console this gen. I'll abandon the fuck out of the 720, though, if these things are are true.

For the record, I still don't believe they are.

Izick

MS staff response to any rumors
.gif[IMG]
(And that's why adam orth get fired because he do give a fuck about medias)[/QUOTE]

Amazing.

If somehow this is true, which I still don't believe, then I'm 99% certain I'm getting a PS4 instead. Before I was going to wait and see, but always-online and NUG are a combo that is too much for me. Not to mention I'm looking forward to a lot of stuff on the PS4 anyway.

Microsoft would really have to blow me away with some sort of game or feature for me to pass on the PS4 in lieu of the Nextbox. I have no idea what that is, because it's not Halo or Gears anymore. Would have to be a new, exclusive IP.

Eusis

Do you really want it? Sorry but why you want something like this?

Only trolls want next Xbox fail (or Wii U fail).
While I think most everyone is just out for the trolling angle, there are the angles that they just haven't liked Microsoft as of late and wants to see them shoot their foot off with a shotgun, and related to that there's the angle that if they're seriously considering always online AT ALL better to "rip the bandaid off" and get it over with, rather than let them build up marketshare then deploy it if they should ever become effectively the only choice. Which is also a case for why Sony and Nintendo still need competition (or at least each other) so we hopefully don't see one of them do it either.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I know one thing... I will definitely be joining any and all vocal anti-MS team if they go through with this. Hope Microsoft fanboys are prepared for my mouth 'cause I am going to be eviscerating Microsoft if they go through with this crap. For an entire generation.

I honestly fear MS is going to try this and get away with it because they'll offer it in a 200 dollar subsidized console* and people used to paying way more for a data plan and phone will jump in rabidly.

*with 2 year 25/30 dollar mandatory Gold fee, of course. The system will be useless without it.

Satchel

Banned
I don't think anyone would argue this move would get them more customers. The argument is that it would force a substantial number of previously offline consumers online. These consumers would be more easily advertised to and at least able to partake on MS's online revenue streams which are likely to be the money makers for MS going forward.

You're making an assumption that consumers are going to see the longview on this. How many customers really care whether or not they can play their games 10-15 years down the road? The conscience consumer is not the norm. If anything, with games available at the push of a button, people are likely going to purchase more (Or at least that would be the line of logic from MS).

There is a big difference between any consumer and a high value consumer for most businesses. You are a high value consumer to MS, but a lot of consumers are not. A consumer that buys a console, and a few games a year is making MS very little money. A consumer who buys a console, an xbox live subscription, DLC, rents movies, ect, is making MS a lot of money. If MS can force enough of those low value consumers into connecting their Xbox's, they'll have access to and therefore be more likely to partake in those services and become high value customers. It isn't about you. You're already where MS wants you. It's about the wider market. MS can afford to lose a bunch of low value customers if the numbers show they'll be transforming some of them into high value customers in the transaction.

I guess you're right in a sense.

But they would lose high value customers like myself, on the off chance they MAY turn some low value into high value.

Still doesn't seem worth it.

Eusis

I honestly fear MS is going to try this and get away with it because they'll offer it in a 200 dollar subsidized console* and people used to paying way more for a data plan and phone will jump in rabidly.

*with 2 year 25/30 dollar mandatory Gold fee, of course. The system will be useless without it.
That's what I fear most, Microsoft having that special combination of being brazen AND clever that lets them not only pull this shit but get away with it. Hopefully people acknowledge it's not really that essential (and is technically less featured as a phone still works offline if the programs don't need it) and avoid it, or at least Sony whips up a good marketing campaign to make people want that instead. Or Nintendo manages to wake up and start kicking ass there.

If there's something from EA and it's not:
  • Battlefield 4 (tacitly confirmed by CFO)
  • FIFA14 (tacitly confirmed by CFO, plus licensing issues)
  • Dragon Age 3
  • Mass Effect 4
It's also probably not Dead Space, since an iteration came out this year, nor Need for Speed.

And is something "big" what does that leave besides: Respawn's "Titan"

The only other thing I can think of is if EA got around any licensing issues and Madden NFL 25 is exclusive to Durango with regards to next-gen consoles.

jayu26

Always online...no always online. Used games...no used games. This has already been one hell of a ride and it's not even announced yet.

PSYGN

I wouldn't put it past them after their stupid decision with Windows 8 and forcing consumers to use that new interface. Microsoft has been a bit of a disappointment lately. Hopefully these rumors are false, but it also sounds like something Microsoft would do.

Keyouta

I wouldn't put it past them after their stupid decision with Windows 8 and forcing consumers to use that new interface. Microsoft has been a bit of a disappointment lately. Hopefully these rumors are false, but it also sounds like something Microsoft would do.

I have Windows 8 and I rarely see the Metro interface. Seriously, if people are waiting for Windows 9, they're going to be disappointed, I don't think the new interface will be leaving anytime soon.

Also, I don't believe Microsoft would break their relationship with retailers and many consumers by blocking used games.

B.O.O.M

Always online = true
Blocking used games = not really, but in a sense they will.

So since people are ignoring this I'm guessing his tag is true and he most likely doesn't know anything?

Either way I don't wanna believe this. I know multiple sources have said it but for the sake of consumers I don't want to believe it

Mandoric

Banned
I guess you're right in a sense.

But they would lose high value customers like myself, on the off chance they MAY turn some low value into high value.

Still doesn't seem worth it.

The assumption, whether it's accurate or not, seems to be that the same 25 million guys paying $60-$120 a year for Live Gold's P2P matchmaking and Netflix app unlock will also roll with no used/a significant DLC pass.

QaaQer

The assumption, whether it's accurate or not, seems to be that the same 25 million guys paying $60-$120 a year for Live Gold's P2P matchmaking and Netflix app unlock will also roll with no used/a significant DLC pass.

yup. nice to have that kind of customer base.

Iacobellis

It only means one thing.

E3 2013
Don Mattrick and Larry Hyrb walk on stage.

D: "Welcome, everybody! Welcome to E3 2013! This will be the biggest year of the Xbox yet. Just look at all of the games we have released thus far.

Sizzle reel starts on the screen. It starts with early games from the original Xbox such as Halo, PGR, and Fusion Frenzy. The five minute video ends with GoW: Judgment.

D: "We have come a long way over the years. We started as a maker of consoles geared specifically towards gamers. Today, we reach out to everybody. You still have your games. But now, you have Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, our own Kinect, and now Pizza Hut."

Major Nelson interrupts.

L: "But, Don! What about these nasty rumors that have been floating around? Always On? No used games? $500? Mandatory Kinect? A cable box? STINGRAY?! Who calls their console a Stingray?"

D: "Ah, Larry! You can't believe everything you read on the Internet, now can you? I mean, Sony did say they would let us go first!"

(Audience laughs)

D: "Look, I'll run it through with you." Our new console, the Xbox, will require an Always On connection. This ensures that the entertainment you desire the most is always at your fingertips. A $500 price tag? Only some companies are silly enough to try to sell a game console at that price to consumers. I mean, what kind of entertainment device costs that much?"

L: "Whoa, Don? What do you mean entertainment device?"

D: "Larry, enough! The audience already knows we aren't focusing on games anymore."

L: "But---"

D: "Ah, yes! Starting today, we come to a full halt of providing the best experience in video games. An old friend is taking our place instead."

The screen fills with a white background and a faint buzzing can be heard from the speakers. In giant, iconic blue letters read the word SEGA. The classic sound is played.

L: "Wait, so we don't have a console to show them, either?"

D: "Nope! We quit. Our new Xbox will be shown at CES 2014. Get your tickets early! Now, to present the new product from a legendary company you have been waiting for, we have someone special waiting backstage."

The lights dim, and the SEGA logo moves up, with the word Spectrum fading in under it.

Don and Larry wave to the crowd.

D & L: "Everybody, thank you for the memories. The past 11 years have been something no other industry could experience. It is all thanks to you, the gamer. The entertainment consumer. The achievement whore. The people who looked for ways to spend their complimentary birthday Microsoft Points. Thank you, again.

Don and Larry walk off stage.

The audience is stunned, and await to see who will be presenting the long awaited successor to the SEGA Dreamcast.

I am sick and tire of all these remours.
E3 is the judgement day, or else sooner.

No second hand games is not so big deal for me, but internet connection mandatory is a deal breaker.

Hope MS will not make the same mistake as on Windows 8 by removing Start button.
It is so F**king troublesome that I have to use the search option to find some programm.
So don't put the monkeys on your project do you hear that MS!!!!

On this used games business, I asked in my local HMV this weekend if they are going to start taking trade in games again, since they stopped while in adminstration. The manager told me that they are not doing trade in games any more as head office isnt going to restart the scheme as the next xbox wont allow used games, as per normal cant always take what these guys say as fact just thought it was worth a mention. Think they still taking in consoles etc but not games, i did mention about all the millions of games in the UK already that wont be blocked only for him to walk off lol.

Endo Punk

Frankly speaking I don't care if systems block used games, paying for online, DRM etc. I buy new and am always connected so it's a non issue for me but in all good nature I can not support these ideas that take freedom away from gamers, just out of principle.

The fact that Microsoft hasn't debunked these rumors, is saying things. I can't even understand why they want to do this. Specially used game blocking, that is very stupid. And always on is even stupider. Not everyone has a reliable connection. So people with spotty connections are going to have trouble, even playing a "single player" game?

Didn't they have a controlled leak two or three weeks ago that debunked the rumors?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Imagine if MS money hatted Madden for 720. That with always online (?) and EAs exclusive NFL liscence. My hate for that franchise would reach critical mass.

Raide

Imagine if MS money hatted Madden for 720. That with always online (?) and EAs exclusive NFL liscence. My hate for that franchise would reach critical mass.

Madden for US territory, Fifa for everyone else. Would be a massive draw to the 720.

Madden for US territory, Fifa for everyone else. Would be a massive draw to the 720.

Well I can only speak for myself but I think it goes both ways, if Microsoft really locks down FIFA to the 720 it wouldn't be a push for me to get a 720 but rather a push for me to abandon FIFA and play PES exclusively again :p

Quasar

This may just be urban legend, but I had the impression that the deals EA had with the NFL (or the players union) prohibited platform exclusivity like that.

ascii42

Well I can only speak for myself but I think it goes both ways, if Microsoft really locks down FIFA to the 720 it wouldn't be a push for me to get a 720 but rather a push for me to abandon FIFA and play PES exclusively again :p

Right, Madden players wouldn't have that option. Unless the deal allows Sony to make an NFL game or something.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This may just be urban legend, but I had the impression that the deals EA had with the NFL (or the players union) prohibited platform exclusivity like that.
I just can't see Madden only being on Durango, especially now that EA has completely abandoned Nintendo. EA's been bleeding money for years (Madden, Fifa, and BF keep them going)and I think the only way they could afford something like that is if MS bought them outright.

Right, Madden players wouldn't have that option. Unless the deal allows Sony to make an NFL game or something.

I'm aware that NFL fans sadly don't have such options so I really hope that it won't come to this :/ Though I still highly doubt that any of that happens, not because I can't imagine Microsoft or EA wanting this but rather because I think Microsoft couldn't compensate EA well enough should it backfire.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Reveal seems to be coming obviously before E3 but everything about the rumors (the bad ones) is looking more true according to the slightly newer dev kits. That includes HDMI in/out, used games provisions (not 100% sure on what it means yet), XBLA paywall, plus always online.

The info is fresh so if they are going to change something then they should do it now but this path is set in stone for the most part.

Oppo

Yeah. I am basically assuming that MS is going to mandate online until they tell me otherwise. The rumours are deafening and have been chanting this fairly consistently for months now.

I might still end up with a new Xbox, but definitely not at launch. No fucking way. I will wait and see how it plays out, too many unknowns.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So since people are ignoring this I'm guessing his tag is true and he most likely doesn't know anything?

Lol, that's not what my tag refers to, nor the reason I got in the first place. That was because I double posted for the sake of getting my post on the new page during an argument on the FWC Footie thread a few years ago. :)

You can believe what you want, of course. However, you're right, you should treat my posts as just my speculation, as I've said before myself countless times. The only person I would reveal my source (IF I have/had a source) would be to Evillore and Evilore only, if he were to ask me by pm (and not via a GAF post): I'm definitely not risking losing future job opportunities or compromise a friend just to look cool on a gaming forum.

7Th

crazy buttocks is legit so I'm guessing the rumors are real.

The industry is fucked; EA and Microsoft will kill it.

Is this operating under the idea of an EA exclusive? Because, uhh, FALLOUT IS NOT EA.

Not only is Fallout owned by Bethesda now, but it was originally created BECAUSE EA had a stake in Wasteland and it was Brian Fargo's way of getting around it, a spiritual successor rather than a direct one.

Still, Mass Effect could make sense. EA owns it, Microsoft originally published, and I imagine of the series that people may've migrated to PC for as they got better computers this is one of the games they most likely stuck through with on 360 (the other probably being CoD just for online play with friends.)

Mass Effect 4 (or whatever it'll be called) is probably still to early in development for them to make any deals on it. I wouldn't be surprised if they did though, like you said Microsoft published the original, had a timed exclusive on the second, and heavily promoted the third. It's sales are more one sided than any other EA game (off the top of my head) so I could see them doing that as an exclusive (timed or other wise) before something like Battlefield 4.

Respawn's game makes sense, and Bioware has a new IP so it could be that as well.

Top Bottom