• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A quick look at the XBOX 360 start

Remember faceplates? I really wanted this one:

Faceplate_Woodgrain.jpg

I didn't really notice the console until about late 2006, so maybe that's why it feels a little bit fresher. The blades UI looks so Windows XP. I can't imagine the next Xbox looking much different than what's being used now. Microsoft is really coordinating the looks of their products.

Meanwhile, on the Wii...
4IKf3i2.jpg

I really miss the Blade UI. It was simple, easy to navigate, little fluff.

I have nostalgia for it but I dont necessarily want it back. The two are different things.

There would be massive backlash if you brought blades back. It cant easily display near as much content.

But I miss it, in the same way people miss SNES games.

Megasoum

Banned
You know what was great about the blades? Speed!

The newer dashboards are so incredibly slow and sluggish ugh...

And, while I agree that it was not easy to find XBLA stuff on the blades (they didn't anticipate how big XBLA would become when they designed those) the new designs are still TERRIBLE and make searching for anything a pain in the ass that takes way to long for no good reasons.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Oddly enough, Gears, Crackdown, and Dead rising were all games I bought when I first purchased my xbox. I miss those blades but man has the Xbox UI come a long way.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Remember this badboy? Available to people months before the 360 Launch.
I can remember just sitting there holding the 360 controller imagining what the next gen was going to be like.

homeralone8.jpg

alterno69

Banned
I feel like the Xbox 360 went backwards as the gen progressed, contrary to the PS3. I just don't have any desire to get whatever MS has in store for nextgen, last decade 360 is still my favorite part of this gen for me by far but the current state of the console gives me no hope for the Xbox next gen.

UraMallas

My friend one a 360 early from Mountain Dew and we all went over and played it for the whole weekend. The release was the next week and I sat on a bench in my local WalMart from noon until midnight to be the first to get one. 20GB version, PD0, Kameo and PGR3 with an extra controller is what I came home with. This makes me want to camp out for the next console.

Just realized that you can fit two Xbox lifecycles into one 360 lifecycle. A lot changes in 8 years. You could almost consider a game in the first year to be a classic at this point if it was a previous gen. OoT came out less than 8 years before the 360 launched, for instance, and we were already calling it a classic in 2005.

jergrah

Reminds me of playing PGR at launch and getting in Gotham TV for the first time. Was such an amazing concept then I thought.

I also got my first (and only I think) negative feedback launch night in PGR. During a race the dude next to me lost control and slammed into the wall -- then said I ran into him and informed me he would leave negative feedback.

Shaneus

I've just realised, some of those menus look like they'd be *perfect* for Kinect navigation if 2.0 is as half as accurate as most think it will be.

Reminds me of playing PGR at launch and getting in Gotham TV for the first time. Was such an amazing concept then I thought.
I remember being blown away by Gotham TV as well. I could actually watch other people race! And never mind that in PGR3 you could walk around your garage and check out all your cars (and play Geometry Wars, obv).

So stoked that I managed to score the preorder bonus for PGR3 with my 360 even though I didn't think I fit all the criteria (maybe bought it on the day or something?)... this sucker:
KbDPb9hm.jpg

Until I got the slim (and my first RROD... which wasn't actually an RROD, but I heard my drive was on it's way out and I wanted a replacement) I never even really remembered that the stock 360 was white. Everyone else's just looked kinda weird.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
2005 seems like such a long time ago... crazy how much everything has changed. Watching the MTV special they did and it feels so dated.

I feel like the Xbox 360 went backwards as the gen progressed, contrary to the PS3. I just don't have any desire to get whatever MS has in store for nextgen, last decade 360 is still my favorite part of this gen for me by far but the current state of the console gives me no hope for the Xbox next gen.

Based on the current state of rumors? Wow. Can't believe some form opinions based on rumors. If at launch you still feel that way don't buy it. But stating your buying intent before something is even unveiled?

I liked the feature that you could hook up an iPod and play the music from it on your 360.
The infrequent updates to the backward compatibility were always a fun lottery to see if your favorite game would be included this time. Looking forward to the weekly XBLA games, shame they still throttle the releases to two a week.

One of the most interesting Xbox experiences I have was to watch the consoles get made in the factory in China. I was watching them go by on the production line and thinking "Someones going to really love that console, and that one, and that one"

I liked the feature that you could hook up an iPod and play the music from it on your 360.
The infrequent updates to the backward compatibility were always a fun lottery to see if your favorite game would be included this time. Looking forward to the weekly XBLA games, shame they still throttle the releases to two a week.

One of the most interesting Xbox experiences I have was to watch the consoles get made in the factory in China. I was watching them go by on the production line and thinking "Someones going to really love that console, and that one, and that one"

I really enjoyed that inside look on the video as well. Hope Sony and Microsoft gives us something like that this gen.

I actually liked those when they first came out and they had a E3 edition that was pretty nice, i liked the ads where no two 360's looked the same based on owner's faceplate.

The blades seem to look very good compared to what we have now.

17551-500m.jpg

Still needs a sequel.. So very badly...
I'm so sad to have sold my copy :( I should try to grab one on ebay or something.. For collecting's sake..

madmackem

The early xbl community was sweet, good times were had, im a bit sad we got live party chat in a way as it was fun to go into a game and talk to random people at the start. Loved 360 first console that lived upto the hype day one and blew me away, i dont think that will ever happen again. I bought more or less every single launch title on 360 and xbla. And yet i sat there playing hexic for the first hours.

17551-500m.jpg

Still needs a sequel.. So very badly...
I'm so sad to have sold my copy :( I should try to grab one on ebay or something.. For collecting's sake..

Yes, yes and YES. Sega's shutting down of the servers still hurts. Gah, playing this was easily one the high points of this generation. Such an amazing game.

Robso

Sorry if this question is dumb, and apologies if already asked, I see it says in the OP's first picture about PGR...

'With Gotham TV gamers can watch any player in the world on live news feeds'. I take this never took off? Sounds similar to the Share function on the PS4, and allowing others to watch you playing a game.

How did it work out?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Sorry if this question is dumb, and apologies if already asked, I see it says in the OP's first picture about PGR...

'With Gotham TV gamers can watch any player in the world on live news feeds'. I take this never took off? Sounds similar to the Share function on the PS4, and allowing others to watch you playing a game.

How did it work out?

It was more like a spectator mode of a live game. You'd have a bunch of Gamertags of peoples games, and when you hopped in you were in a forced replay camera.

Alx

I'm not sure which games I got at launch, but I had good memories of Hexic, DOA4, Oblivion and Ninety Nine Nights... and Joust on XBLA, too, but that was for nostalgia. :)

I don't really miss the blades though. They were functional, but not very pretty, and limited on the amount of features each page had. And like their smaller current guide version, they're better to display the name of the pages you're not watching than that of the current one.
The only thing that was really convenient was the shortcut to the disk tray, that was available in most pages.

see5harp

Hexic really is an underappreciated classic. That game was probably the most demanding turn based puzzle game I've ever played. I felt like my brain was melting trying to create those onyx gems.

Yes, yes and YES. Sega's shutting down of the servers still hurts. Gah, playing this was easily one the high points of this generation. Such an amazing game.

They did?
That totally sucks. I was actually gonna get a used copy to give the online another whirl and see if anyone still played..
Game like this would always have some harcore community that tends to stick along.
So sad..

This was really a good original IP.

The early xbl community was sweet, good times were had, im a bit sad we got live party chat in a way as it was fun to go into a game and talk to random people at the start. Loved 360 first console that lived upto the hype day one and blew me away, i dont think that will ever happen again. I bought more or less every single launch title on 360 and xbla. And yet i sat there playing hexic for the first hours.
As good as that sounds, I just want to say party chat is the best thing in socializing in game. Party chat, was made by god himself I believe.

p3tran

Banned
Day one I got my premium, which was a lot more difficult than it sounds, because in my country the initial supply was very thin at best. Imagine that the biggest retailer had only 100 premiums to distribute in its stores around the entire country(!).
So I got it 8a.m. day 1, executing basically an entire operation haha

I got it with pgr3 and cod2. Wow!

Next day I went and bought the samsung 32" that microsoft showed the 360 with, along with amped 3, kameo, condemned and pd0

Great times 8)

Another highlight later on, was oblivion. Also forza 2, that 60frames locked and good online was fantastic. And a fucking great surprize was chrome hounds, as mentioned.

How did it work out?

Yeap, it worked great and was really missed.

Pgr had a very good ranking system, so you would go to the "view best races" or whatever it was called menu and watch the best races amongst the best players as they happened.
A system that would justify the term "next gen" at that time.

KAL2006

Banned
360 was great and it was the goto console after PS2 for me. Gears, Rainbow 6 Vegas, Forza 2, Geometry Wars, Lost Odyssey, Dead or Alive 4, Oblivion, Tales of Vesperia, Crackdown and etc. Then somewhere around the time PS3 Slim launched I switched over. Got tired of paying for Gold, RROD, play and charge kit stopped working, annoyed I payed for a overpriced wireless adapter and they stop having cool exclusives and of course PS3 started to pick up with Uncharted 2, MGS4, Ratchet ToD and etc. All in all it was a good generation, I made the right choice with going with 360 at the start or the generation as it was great, and then switching over to PS3 at the 2nd half of the generation when tides turn. No idea what will happen next gen but like always I go where the games are.

They did?
That totally sucks. I was actually gonna get a used copy to give the online another whirl and see if anyone still played..
Game like this would always have some harcore community that tends to stick along.
So sad..

This was really a good original IP.

Sadly, yes. The short sighted bastards and to make matters worse, they've seemingly abandoned the IP.

Top Bottom