• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

So there's supposed to be a LEGO store opening near me, but I'm not sure of the exact date. I really want to get there on opening day to get that rare LEGO Store Grand Opening set, but when I called the mall they were just like "It's opening in May."

Does LEGO list the grand opening dates for stores anywhere on their website or do I need to just keep pestering the people at the mall for a better date?

So there's supposed to be a LEGO store opening near me, but I'm not sure of the exact date. I really want to get there on opening day to get that rare LEGO Store Grand Opening set, but when I called the mall they were just like "It's opening in May."

Does LEGO list the grand opening dates for stores anywhere on their website or do I need to just keep pestering the people at the mall for a better date?

We've got a local one opening up at the end of this month and I'm not going to try for the set. Everything I've read in this and other forums leads me to believe I'd need to line up the night before.

If I could head to the store a couple of hours early I'd totally do it, but be warned that you're looking at a serious commitment.

Deefuzz

We've got a local one opening up at the end of this month and I'm not going to try for the set. Everything I've read in this and other forums leads me to believe I'd need to line up the night before.

If I could head to the store a couple of hours early I'd totally do it, but be warned that you're looking at a serious commitment.

We JUST had our Grand Opening in St. Louis where the Store Set was the Saturday giveaway.

At around 5 PM when my shift was over we had about 3 sets left.

I dont see the harm in trying. You may need to have a bit of a wait in line, but surprisingly not everyone wanted to spend the required $75 to get a store set. The first 50 or so in line did, but it started to taper off and some people were just there to be there at opening I think.

We JUST had our Grand Opening in St. Louis where the Store Set was the Saturday giveaway.

At around 5 PM when my shift was over we had about 3 sets left.

I dont see the harm in trying. You may need to have a bit of a wait in line, but surprisingly not everyone wanted to spend the required $75 to get a store set. The first 50 or so in line did, but it started to taper off and some people were just there to be there at opening I think.

Aw man. Why'd you have to tell me that?

You are history's greatest monster.

Deefuzz

Aw man. Why'd you have to tell me that?

You are history's greatest monster.

Well your mileage will of course vary depending on your city and the number of LEGO fans in the area and such...plus we DID have it on Mother's Day weekend which could have lightened our load a little.

I would just hate to see a fellow fan miss out on the set if there's a remote chance to get it, because I really like it a lot personally.

ghostmind

My minifig storage solution is very utilitarian, but I manage to keep my collection of over 1000 minifigs well sorted.

I'll post some pics when I get home.

And now it is time to redefine the meaning of horror:
gI_79571_KNEX%20Family%20Guy%20Preview.jpg

But I want one... :(

It's in a mall though. They can't line up the night before, right?

kms_md

Well your mileage will of course vary depending on your city and the number of LEGO fans in the area and such...plus we DID have it on Mother's Day weekend which could have lightened our load a little.

I would just hate to see a fellow fan miss out on the set if there's a remote chance to get it, because I really like it a lot personally.

wait, what??? i was there on friday and did not see them. i did see quite the supply of fire brigades.

Unexpected gathering has been out for delivery since 8 AM and it still hasn't arrived. It's 4 PM here, and things usually arrive at 1-3 PM. My last package was delivered to the wrong address, so I'm kinda going insane here.

Edit: It just arrived. Now I know what I'm doing tonight :)

beje

Banned
Finally finished building the Apple Tree House. A little bit bummed you almost cannot furnish the interior but I knew what I was geting into and it's a nice display piece anyway. Cannot wait to get bored of looking at it to build some MOC instead.

Ainaurdur

Still waiting until my last box arrives to do one post of pickups for the month, but I just have to share this absurdity.

S@H decided to ship my Hoth Han and Poster separately from my B-Wing... they gave me the free Chima 70113 set. Twice.

Still not certain what I will do with them. Might give one to the 8 year old nephew, and keep the other for parts?

Also surprised when I realized these were $20 sets and not the cheapest single Speedor ones. They must be that desperate to kick off the line?

Tuvoc

So I'd like to create some new minifigure weapons after seeing how Lego modified Boba Fett's blaster in the Desert Skiff set (small SW pistol + Lightsaber hilt).

Does anyone have any other ideas on weapon creations? I'd really like to make a minigun to replace the space pistol+binocular I have on my War Machine minifig at the moment. And yes, I know there are lots of 3rd party weapons for sale on the net.

Im just waiting to make a big purchase of those when i have extra cash. But while i'm on that subject. I saw someones War Machine a few pages back with a 3rd party minigun. Does anyone know which company's minigun that is? I've seen several already, but they don't seem very compatible or too bulky.

This is so confusing, it's got the skill of the UCS but the mixing of colour only a child could be happy with..... love the use of Carbonite Solo

w9tyX3x.jpg

Awesome, this just pushed me from 90% to 100% wanting to buy R2-D2.

I got the Chima throw in for JUST ordering 5 minifigs (you know, for the free poster).

All signs pointing to good clearance sales on Chima sets. At least for Speedorz. Those are good parts packs and I like the minifigures, especially the birds for the wings.

That is all sorts of awesome! Any photos of LEGO Friends sets with the pink and pastel bricks replaced?

And now it is time to redefine the meaning of horror:
gI_79571_KNEX%20Family%20Guy%20Preview.jpg

Ugh. Sadly, I will get some of those. Can't believe I'm writing this, but I wish Mega Bloks got that license instead. K'Nex figures hands aren't LEGO compatible either. We all know LEGO would never do Family Guy anyways.

So I'd like to create some new minifigure weapons after seeing how Lego modified Boba Fett's blaster in the Desert Skiff set (small SW pistol + Lightsaber hilt).

Does anyone have any other ideas on weapon creations? I'd really like to make a minigun to replace the space pistol+binocular I have on my War Machine minifig at the moment. And yes, I know there are lots of 3rd party weapons for sale on the net.

Im just waiting to make a big purchase of those when i have extra cash. But while i'm on that subject. I saw someones War Machine a few pages back with a 3rd party minigun. Does anyone know which company's minigun that is? I've seen several already, but they don't seem very compatible or too bulky.

I got mine from BrickArms reseller (they don't sell direct anymore). It's pricey though. Something like $8.

Galatic Shocktrooper with Minigun and Ammo Chain by enigmabadger, on Flickr

Some LEGO built options:

Check out his photostream. He has a LOT of other gun examples.

Miniguns by Nannan Z., on Flickr

Guns Museum v. 5 by Nannan Z., on Flickr

Tuvoc

I got mine from BrickArms reseller (they don't sell direct anymore). It's pricey though. Something like $8.

Guns

Some LEGO built options:

MOAR GUNZZZ!!

Awesome! Thanks Man. These are fantastic!!

Edit: Now I gotta sort out all my LEGO tools. Looks like most of the guns require one or two of them.

ghostmind

This is how I store/organize my minifigs. It's not a solution for display, but with 1000+ minifigs, I just cycle a portion of them out for display at any time. At $1 per case, its an affordable solution for keeping things sorted.

Uq6droE.jpg

WWAwMMf.jpg

AQXqUL2.jpg

o4Gx293.jpg

ghostmind

Who would buy a $400 ewok village?

Besides me?

Yeah, i get where you are coming from - the mainstream appeal wouldn't be there. I'm wondering what they could put in there to sweeten the deal...

But they cannot keep the Death Star as the center-piece indefinitely. The minifigs in it are starting to show their age, and a simple refresh of the set would leave previous buyers rather upset.

So what else could replace the Death Star? What could be the next giant playset with 20 minifigs?

Besides me?

Yeah, i get where you are coming from - the mainstream appeal wouldn't be there. I'm wondering what they could put in there to sweeten the deal...

But they cannot keep the Death Star as the center-piece indefinitely. The minifigs in it are starting to show their age, and a simple refresh of the set would leave previous buyers rather upset.

So what else could replace the Death Star? What could be the next giant playset with 20 minifigs?

TONS of mini figures. Just like the Best Star. Also, for Mocs, all dat brown and foliage.

Them theorizing it will replace the Death Star should indicate the DS is not long for this world. I've been singing its praises for almost a year now. It is OLD by Lego standards as well. This might be the year that the sets ventilation shaft is exposed.

And as for what set could replace the Best Star and have tons of figures?
Cloud City.

ghostmind

TONS of mini figures. Just like the Best Star. Also, for Mocs, all dat brown and foliage.

Them theorizing it will replace the Death Star should indicate the DS is not long for this world. I've been singing its praises for almost a year now. It is OLD by Lego standards as well. This might be the year that the sets ventilation shaft is exposed.

And as for what set could replace the Best Star and have tons of figures?
Cloud City.

Oh man! How could I forget about Cloud City?

You could theoretically do a Cloud City following the same basic principles as the DS - a bunch of connected (and separate) rooms, each with its own mini-vignette, all tied together in a larger structure.

The Best Star has so many great moments in the set, but it is pulled from two movies. Cloud City was only in the last third of one film and there are so many vignettes you can get from it.

Landing platform where we meet Lando
Garbage room where Chewie finds C3P0
Chamber where Vader tortures Solo
Dining room where Vader traps Solo and Leia
Landing platform for Slave-1
Prisoner quarters for Han and Co. Complete with bed that retracts into the wall.
Carbonite chamber for Solo's freezing.
Carbonite chamber lightsaber fight
Light tunnel between carbonite chamber and final area of lightsaber fight. You know the tunnel
Chamber where Vader blows out the window. Attach a string to Luke mini figure and have him sucked out of the open window.
Walkway where Vader defeats Luke
And the finishing touch: Luke mini figure, with a missing hand, hanging under the entire set, waiting for Leia to rescue him.

Fuck. I need this set. Bad.

ghostmind

The Best Star has so many great moments in the set, but it is pulled from two movies. Cloud City was only in the last third of one film and there are so many vignettes you can get from it.

Landing platform where we meet Lando
Garbage room where Chewie finds C3P0
Chamber where Vader tortures Solo
Dining room where Vader traps Solo and Leia
Landing platform for Slave-1
Prisoner quarters for Han and Co. Complete with bed that retracts into the wall.
Carbonite chamber for Solo's freezing.
Carbonite chamber lightsaber fight
Light tunnel between carbonite chamber and final area of lightsaber fight. You know the tunnel
Chamber where Vader blows out the window. Attach a string to Luke mini figure and have him sucked out of the open window.
Walkway where Vader defeats Luke
And the finishing touch: Luke mini figure, with a missing hand, hanging under the entire set, waiting for Leia to rescue him.

Fuck. I need this set. Bad.

I've been thinking about this one for a while as well. Initially, I thought they should sell modular vignettes that connect together, but maybe the only way to do it justice is as one mega-set.

I would pay $600 for a 6,000+ piece Cloud City.

I've been thinking about this one for a while as well. Initially, I thought they should sell modular vignettes that connect together, but maybe the only way to do it justice is as one mega-set.

I would pay $600 for a 6,000+ piece Cloud City.
I should sketch up a rough idea of how it is in my head. I envision it being a big disc. Two levels with a few vignettes each. Like half the Death Star, but wider. And it is all supported by a large spire protruding from the bottom. The issue is stability then. How would it stay standing? Lots of white to build clouds under it? But it needs to keep the shape of Cloud City.

One of the Mocs I still have half built for months is the platform where Vader defeats Luke. I have had the spire Luke hangs from before jumping built for some time. Just trying to get it stable and mini fig scale.

I think it depends on the Ewok Village price point. $200 == B Wing. >$200 == Death Star
Out of curiosity, do you have the Death Star? That is the one set worth $400. No crazy building techniques or anything, but it is so fun to build and a huge nostalgia rush doing it. It also gets the most attention from visitors because it is all the iconic scenes from the films compiled together.
Are there sets with better construction and technique? Without a doubt. Many of the techniques and things in the Death Star are pretty basic. It is the scale and character of it that make it soar for me.

On a different note, did The Burrow show up?

ghostmind

Lando Calrissian
Lobot
Luke in Bespin outfit
Luke (damaged with missing hand)
Han Solo in Bespin Outfi
Leia in Bespin outfit
Chewbacca with webbed backpack and C3PO parts
C3PO
R2-D2
Bespin Guards x3
Ugnauts x3

Darth Vader
Boba Fett
Storm Troopers x4

others???

Lando Calrissian
Lobot
Luke in Bespin outfit
Luke (damaged with missing hand)
Han Solo in Bespin Outfi
Leia in Bespin outfit
Chewbacca with webbed backpack and C3PO parts
C3PO
R2-D2
Bespin Guards x3
Ugnauts x3

Darth Vader
Boba Fett
Storm Troopers x4

others???
Solo in Carbonite. Duh.
Make the bottom of the carbon chamber revolve or something. Lower Han without jacket in, turn a lever, Han in carbonite comes up or the claws pull him up.

Also Solo in Bespin outfit without jacket. Add handcuff piece to it.
Two Leia in Bespin outfit. The tan formal dress, and the white jumpsuit at the end. Optional Hoth Leia for when they land.
Lobot

Strangely, the Bespin guards excite me the most.

mrkgoo

I should sketch up a rough idea of how it is in my head. I envision it being a big disc. Two levels with a few vignettes each. Like half the Death Star, but wider. And it is all supported by a large spire protruding from the bottom. The issue is stability then. How would it stay standing? Lots of white to build clouds under it? But it needs to keep the shape of Cloud City.

One of the Mocs I still have half built for months is the platform where Vader defeats Luke. I have had the spire Luke hangs from before jumping built for some time. Just trying to get it stable and mini fig scale.
Maybe a minu-diorama of a Star Wars scene can be the next mic contest. You can be as creative as you want, using whatever minifigs that you have (don't even have to be Star Wars ones, just a theme in the vein of SW).

Top Bottom