• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub (Evolution Studios/PS4) announcement trailer. [PS3 WHEELS ARE SUPPORTED]

nib95

Banned
On the off chance Evolution is still reading this thread, I wanted to provide some feedback.

I've been puzzling over why the E3 feedback on Forza 5 has been "looks great" and the feedback on Drive Club has been "not impressive".

I looked at over a dozen E3 videos and focused on video taken from the cockpit point of view (i.e., not a replay video) to compare the two.

My observations:
- The car models in Drive Club are at least as good as Forza 5 (graphics wise)
- The interior cockpit view in Drive Club is actually superior in the E3 builds, as Forza 5 is still running 30 fps driver/side mirrors with popup problems
- Both Drive Club and Forza 5 have impressive draw distances
- The lighting model in Drive Club is superior and more realistic, as Forza is still pre-baked lighting, but the Drive Club demo doesn't really show off the lighting model.
- Where Forza 5 completely blows Drive Club out of the water is in trackside eye-candy. Turn 10 wisely chose Prague as the demo track. The Prague track shows off tons of trackside eye-candy: fancy buildings, bridges/overpasses, lots of bystanders, tunnels, helicopters, signs, etc.
- Conversly the Drive Club track has minimal trackside eye-candy: a boring fence and lots of trees. The fence and trees didn't impress anyone. There are a few balloons and far away sail boats, but these are barely noticible when driving.

So my suggestion is to add a LOT more trackside eye-candy. More buildings, bridges, tunnels, people, signs, etc. It's the trackside eye-candy that impressed in Forza 5 and will help convince folks that Drive Club is also beautiful.

Obviously, eye-candy has to be balanced with frame rate, but previous Motorstorm games have proven that Evolution can achieve both.

Good post. I agree with all of the above. Must be said that DriveClubs shadows and lighting are a cut above the competition. Fully dynamic. Hell, even the clouds leave shadows. Don't forget they have full night/day as well, which Forza 5 does not.

Can't wait to see how it looks by release. The E3 demo build was supposedly only pre-pre alpha and 35% complete.

Soi-Fong

Good post. I agree with all of the above. Must be said that DriveClubs shadows and lighting are a cut above the competition. Fully dynamic. Hell, even the clouds leave shadows. Don't forget they have full night/day as well, which Forza 5 does not.

Can't wait to see how it looks by release. The E3 demo build was supposedly only pre-pre alpha and 35% complete.

I have a feeling most people are underestimating Evolution and will be eating crow once the PS4 launch comes.

Having kept up with all of Evolution's games, all their games significantly look better on launch than previous showings.

On the off chance Evolution is still reading this thread, I wanted to provide some feedback.

I've been puzzling over why the E3 feedback on Forza 5 has been "looks great" and the feedback on Drive Club has been "not impressive".

I looked at over a dozen E3 videos and focused on video taken from the cockpit point of view (i.e., not a replay video) to compare the two.

My observations:
- The car models in Drive Club are at least as good as Forza 5 (graphics wise)
- The interior cockpit view in Drive Club is actually superior in the E3 builds, as Forza 5 is still running 30 fps driver/side mirrors with popup problems
- Both Drive Club and Forza 5 have impressive draw distances
- The lighting model in Drive Club is superior and more realistic, as Forza is still pre-baked lighting, but the Drive Club demo doesn't really show off the lighting model.
- Where Forza 5 completely blows Drive Club out of the water is in trackside eye-candy. Turn 10 wisely chose Prague as the demo track. The Prague track shows off tons of trackside eye-candy: fancy buildings, bridges/overpasses, lots of bystanders, tunnels, helicopters, signs, etc.
- Conversly the Drive Club track has minimal trackside eye-candy: a boring fence and lots of trees. The fence and trees didn't impress anyone. There are a few balloons and far away sail boats, but these are barely noticible when driving.

So my suggestion is to add a LOT more trackside eye-candy. More buildings, bridges, tunnels, people, signs, etc. It's the trackside eye-candy that impressed in Forza 5 and will help convince folks that Drive Club is also beautiful.

Obviously, eye-candy has to be balanced with frame rate, but previous Motorstorm games have proven that Evolution can achieve both.
Yeah, I totally agree with this.

The environments we have seen for DC so far are quite bland and sparse.

Hopefully some of the other locales offer up something more exciting.

Same for Knack too I think - seems a little empty.

I have a feeling most people are underestimating Evolution and will be eating crow once the PS4 launch comes.

Having kept up with all of Evolution's games, all their games significantly look better on launch than previous showings.

I'm in the same camp, in Evolution we should trust.

SilentFlyer

On the off chance Evolution is still reading this thread,

They are indeed listening.

At0wXM0.jpg

nib95

Banned
If they're reading, here's what I'd like.

- Improve those awful twitchy hand to steering wheel animations
- Make them slower, smoother and more realistic, see GT6
- Make the backgrounds a bit more interesting, or just add more little details (unless other tracks do this already)
- Have at least a couple of city style tracks. Packed with buildings, geometry and lovely textures
- Feel free to use motion blur or depth of field for visual effect (not necessary but could be used really effectively)
- Improve water/sea shaders
- If you can, go 60fps

prarts

Logitech is no longer producing any wheels (for years now) and they have nothing to do with that particular matter anymore, nor they can do anything really.
Well, that`s not true: few days ago I`ve received brand new G27 from their Netherland warehouse. It left factory in March 2013: have changed product code and redesigned packaging (now in-line with the new official Logitech web page - fonts, colors etc).

So I assume You are basing that statement on recent reports about Logitech abandoning console peripherals market which were:
a) rumors or
b) G27 is treated by Logitech as PC peripheral, not console only.

Either way, as of 2013, G27s are still being produced.

PLEASE SUPPORT T500RS it`s official Playstation licenced product after all.

DD

I thinkt that 30 FPS + awesome motion blur (see PGR4 for reference) is better for an arcadey game if that means more stuff on the screen, like more cars, weather effects, or a better AI, better physics, more aye candy...

Loudninja

E3 build good and bad according to DF

Good:
To its credit, the cars look top-notch in terms of polygonal detail, and vehicle deformation uses a more realistic model that allows metal to crumple realistically over impact points. The interior cockpit view of our Audi R8, set by default, is also very well replicated and shows no sharp polygonal edges. It remains to be seen whether next-gen features like tessellation have made an impact here, but the results are very smooth indeed.
Despite the grey, overcast look of this Kinlock route, the lighting is realistic enough to bring much of it to life in exciting ways - especially while set to the interior view, where shadow lines pass over the dashboard. Each level is promised to feature a dynamic day-to-night cycle that has time running at accelerated speed to mark progress over the course of a track. It works, but can be oddly implemented at times, since we spot shadows shifting with unnatural speed across nearby walls during select turns.
Back to the positives, the game makes the most exciting case for the PS4's new controller as an upgrade over the Dual Shock 3. Feedback is extremely tight and responsive on the analogue sticks especially, despite all the performance hitches being thrown our way. This is due in no small part to a clear reduction in dead zone - making for a huge improvement when attempting gentle tweaks to the car's direction. The concave triggers, comfortably used for acceleration and braking, also feel much closer to those on the 360 pad. Racing fans will be relieved to finally have these in place.
Bad:
Unfortunately, this higher resolution only amplifies the low quality, blurry, flat-looking textures used across this level, which would easily look at home on current-gen hardware. It's also a shame that, while the scenery draw distance is broad, there's an incredible amount of pop-in for trees and waving NPCs as we approach at high speeds.
Alas, even this number isn't held convincingly during our play-testing, and the game dips noticeably below this point - a feeling of 20fps being achieved during doughnut-turns, where lots of tyre friction smoke is produced. Bearing in mind the PS4's next-gen tech (not to mention its 32 ROPs), we're somewhat surprised to see alpha transparency effects still having such an obvious impact on performance.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4

velociraptor

If they're reading, here's what I'd like.

- Improve those awful twitchy hand to steering wheel animations
- Make them slower, smoother and more realistic, see GT6
- Make the backgrounds a bit more interesting, or just add more little details (unless other tracks do this already)
- Have at least a couple of city style tracks. Packed with buildings, geometry and lovely textures
- Feel free to use motion blur or depth of field for visual effect (not necessary but could be used really effectively)
- Improve water/sea shaders
- If you can, go 60fps
Good list. But in addition to that, they need to nail down the driving model.

I am hoping something similar to PGR in terms of feel.

impressions by the fastest e3 driveclubber:

Let me get one thing out of the way: I played this game at E3 and had a couple of great chats with Rushy and some of his developer colleagues on location. They explained many features and talked about Evolution Studios' vision on racing development. No Doritos or Mountain Dew were involved :))

It sure does look, feel and play a lot like PGR, while maintaining its own identity. The set-up is great: not just the way you can join clubs (max. 12 people each), but also how events work. Aside from racing for positions, you can score a lot of points at certain points on the track, like achieving a high average speed, taking the best line through a set of corners perfectly or achieving a high drift score. The system for this can be compared somewhat to PGR's Kudos, except it constantly gives you a target in the form of a friends'/rival's score to beat. The best thing about this is that you can contribute to your (team) score even when in last position, but simply driving with style! Sounds familiar?

The demo track was a circular route consisting of actual roads in Scotland, connected in a triangle shape, forming an all-round track with long straights, a hairpin, some fast combinations, a chicane and two devilishly hard to judge final corners. The selection of cars ranged from an Audi R8 and a Pagani Huayra to a McLaren MP4-12C and a Hennessey Venom GT. It's not really hard to get a feeling for the handling, though you do need to focus to really get it right. Estimate braking for the next corner, turn in and the right time and time the throttle input to either stick the tail out or dash off cleanly. There's great force and visual feedback (noticeable by the lack of sound in the noisy demo room) to get a feel for your car, such as the way the camera gets a bit closer to the action when braking (like your head would in a real car) :D

It's an arcade racer in the same way PGR is - easy to pick up, but to get the best out lap times you'll have to respect the realistic core of the driving physics and each car. For instance the McLaren allowed for much higher cornering speeds than the Hennessey, which was in turn a lot faster in a straight line. One point of criticism, though: the crashes appeared to be a bit samey - whether I came at a wall with 80 or 150 mph, full frontal or from a three-quarter angle, all seemed to result in the same spin.

Still, the demo I played gave me a taste of something I would buy a next-gen console for: an accessible yet challenging arcade racer with an emphasis on stylish driving and multiplayer, while showing off killer looks - high-polygon cars, truly realistic lighting. I went over to a GT6 pod later that day and it just didn't feel as convincing in terms of looks. Sure there's the difference of generations, but it just goes to show what a strong sensation Driveclub delivers.

I want this game in my life, now.

19911_10152904133135057_872310254_n.jpg

stay gold

It sure does look, feel and play a lot like PGR, while maintaining its own identity.

Yes! Some other previews had me thinking it was gonna be leaning a bit further to the arcade side if things like a NFS. PGR really is the perfect in between.

Loudninja

Some random impressions:
Driveclub isn’t a simulation racer, though the vehicles behave like their real life counterparts. The game is based around multiplayer racing, with missions and challenges along the way. Each player selects a “club” to join and any points gained end up as part of the team’s total. My team was in 2nd place amongst the entire E3 groupings, and needed some serious points to catch up. Thankfully I’ve been ready for a new racing game and had itchy trigger fingers. We used PS4 controllers, which we’ll do a followup post on after we’ve tried it on a few games.

As our race started, my opponent was seated next to me. I had a McLaren MPC and he a Hennessey Venom. The light turned green and the duel was on. Around the second turn, a notification popped up that informed me of an impending Face-Off Challenge, the game’s point-gaining competitive portion. Points can still be earned by just completing races, but the challenges can add to the final totals. The first challenge was to efficiently corner around the turn. I saw my opponent take the corner too fast and crash into the wall, leaving dents and deformations in his bodyside, while I expertly took the turn. The tally: 450 for me and -180 for my opponent. The next challenge along a slight s-curve required us to get the highest average speed. The Venom is naturally a quicker car than the MPC and took that crown 300 to 100.
http://www.sidequesting.com/2013/06/e3-2013-hands-on-the-wheel-with-drive-club-for-the-ps4/

KOHIPEET

Evolution if you're reading this, please raise the contrast!

Just kidding, the game looks good. Although things seem a bit weightless, but that can be just the off-screen footage.

Also, let us have a Team Buddies remake pls :)

Addnan

Since Evolution are reading. 60fps is a must for driving games. Well for any games, but especially driving games. Its very important.

One of the biggest MS:pR here. Evolution, I'll get your game only if 60Fps, just like i don't get LD Movie on my TV anymore.

It is SO much better... get this arcade feeling.

LCfiner

Yeah, I'l throw in my thoughts if they're taking feedback. They gotta push for that 60 fps no matter what.

I find it hard to go back to older PGR games because they're 30fps. The Forza and GT games just feel much faster and more realistic with the smooth framerate.

I don't have a G27 - just the Logitech wheel that was made for PC/PS3 - I can't remember what it's called. Will that still work?

I rarely play driving games without a seat, wheel, and pedals anymore since it's just so much better an experience, IMHO.

Top Bottom