• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the deal with Corgis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

Why were they bred this way? What kind of use could a corgi be? I mean, I guess they're kind of cute. But still...

Legend tells that they are Warrior Faries' battle "horse"

vfLg89T.jpg

http://sandara.deviantart.com/art/Corgi-and-fairy-355200334

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They're hilarious. I have one, and one time I had to carry her 2 miles down a hiking trail because she's so lazy.

Palmer_v1

It's been covered, but yeah, they were bred to herd cattle, and are low to the ground so they can't get kicked easily, and have fairly sturdy heads for that reason as well. They also have relatively thick coats, so they can be outside in English winters. Mine rolls around in the snow like it's nothing, and will definitely attempt to herd unruly children. They're fairly stout despite appearances. It's a medium dog's head/body on stubby legs.

There are also tales that say they're faerie mounts, due to the saddle-like pattern they have over their backs/sides.

Finally:

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
They're such strange looking dogs.

corgi-dog-cardigan-welsh-herding-dogs_29485.jpg

I mean, they have such large normal sized heads, with stumpy little bodies.

Why were they bred this way? What kind of use could a corgi be? I mean, I guess they're kind of cute. But still...

I dunno, something about them disturbs me. I both find them adorable and kind of intimidating. I can't process them

They are herding dogs. They were bred to be short so that cattle/horses, etc would have less of a chance to hit them when they kicked out. At least that is what I was told.

maxcriden

They're really, really cute. My favorite kind of dog. Is it true, though, that their short (cute, little) legs lead them to be more likely to have degenerative arthritis in their legs and similar conditions?

Did a bit of Wiki research:

The Cardigan tends to be a little hardier and has fewer documented hereditary health problems; however both types of dog are genetically predisposed to encounter canine hip dysplasia, canine degenerative myelopathy and progressive retinal atrophy more frequently than other breeds in this group. Pembroke Welsh corgis are susceptible to intervertebral disc disease, canine hip dysplasia, progressive retinal atrophy, and epilepsy. Cardigan Welsh corgis have a typical life expectancy between 12 and 14 years, and Pembroke Welsh corgis typically live between 12 and 15 years.

Is that a pretty typical life expectancy for a dog?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Here's my corgi with a sticker on her head.

Easily the best dog I've ever owned - very smart and obedient. Only problem is that she always seems to be shedding no matter how much you brush. Plus the breed tends to be a little gluttonous.

Oh definitely. Mine always seems to be crying for a treat. I tell her she at least needs to do a trick for one... then she does all the tricks she knows in a row. It's hilarious. My biggest complaint is how much she sheds, but she is such an awesome dog. Really great with my daughter as well.

Palmer_v1

Oh definitely. Mine always seems to be crying for a treat. I tell her she at least needs to do a trick for one... then she does all the tricks she knows in a row. It's hilarious. My biggest complaint is how much she sheds, but she is such an awesome dog. Really great with my daughter as well.

That's what mine does. As soon as he knows I'm withholding a treat to make him do a trick, he does every trick possible. Spin in a circle, roll over, play dead for a second, attempt to shake, sit up, speak, then beg by sitting on his ass with his paws up.

From what I understand, they were bred for herding. Low center of gravity lets them cut faster and avoid getting trampled and kicked. And yes they're the most awesome dog ever in existence.

Mumei

That's what mine does. As soon as he knows I'm withholding a treat to make him do a trick, he does every trick possible. Spin in a circle, roll over, play dead for a second, attempt to shake, sit up, speak, then beg by sitting on his ass with his paws up.

"Look, I've done everything. Gimme!"

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Post 'em if you got 'em, I guess:

0nR9gIt.jpg

(She just had surgery, she doesn't normally wear clothes)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Once I finish grad school and get a job the significant other and I will be getting one of these beautiful creatures.

My wife and I had a Welsh Corgi years ago.

Best dog I ever had. He was my buddy.
Unfortunately he got leukemia and passed away after about 5 years. Devastating for us. :(

We want another one, but we'd have to drive to a specific Corgi breeder about 250 miles away... and these little guys ain't cheap. Eventually we'll commit and just do it.

Angry Grimace

At least Corgis don't look silly when they run

One time I went out to a field with my Corgi and had her "stay" on one end of the field. I then told her to come. Not only was it funny, but it was even funnier when she stopped halfway to take a rest.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Neighbours have one. Horrible mutt. Overweight, doesnt play and long as a fucking limo. Only 2 years old.

Cant talk about the breed though in general. Everyone has different tastes.

Edit: It also eats it's own poop.

Palmer_v1

My wife and I had a Welsh Corgi years ago.

Best dog I ever had. He was my buddy.
Unfortunately he got leukemia and passed away after about 5 years. Devastating for us. :(

We want another one, but we'd have to drive to a specific Corgi breeder about 250 miles away... and these little guys ain't cheap. Eventually we'll commit and just do it.

I tear up just thinking about losing mine eventually. He's 10 now, but still active and no health issues, thankfully.

Actually, I'll take this opportunity to ask fellow corgi owners; how often and for how long do you brush?

Also, what brush do you use? Also, what shampoo? And often do you wash them?

Angry Grimace

Actually, I'll take this opportunity to ask fellow corgi owners; how often and for how long do you brush?

Also, what brush do you use? Also, what shampoo? And often do you wash them?

It depends on the time of year. You pretty much NEED one of those shedding brushes to have a Corgi. They fucking shedshedshedshedshed. Washing depends on how fast they get gross. But you do need to take care to keep their bunny-butts clean or they'll have poop stuck to it.

My good friend has a corgi and I have a Lab, and they are total bros.

994269_10102747204177623_92597850_n_zps4d025e38.jpg

1045078_10102747203858263_187229371_n_zps883488ed.jpg

983574_10102725193112973_193125214_n_zpsf0dff06a.jpg

1506853_10100610743562000_1293251919_n_zps90547422.jpg

Dug is the name of the Lab, and Fidgit is the name of the corgi. Fidgit is a little over a year, and Dug is 1 1/2 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom