• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny, how good is it really?

EmoryM

Neo Member
If we compare it to the other GOTY contender, Earth Defense Force 2025, it doesn't stack up too well... the environments are static, the weapons are boring, the enemies are generic and the voice acting is terrible.

McLovin

Actually I saw my cousin playing it at first and thought meh not sure if I want to bother with the preordering to get the beta. Then they opened it to everyone and so I gave it a try. On that last day I was desperately waiting on the queue to get back in. Games good, videos don't do it justice.
I lost interest in Titanfall after a few matches. Not sure why actually.

Fortunately the hype started to grow even more after the beta and they released it at a very clever time, a month before the final release. The talk will just keep on going.

Nipo

Destiny felt the natural progression for FPS games in a world were many players are online all the time anyway.

Shared World Shooters will inevitably become more common after Destiny sells 10+ million copies and wins all kinds of game of the year awards.

That said, I'm concerned about the amount content the game will launch with and developing it for last gen systems is clearly holding back the game from what it could be if it were current gen/PC only.

RGVNOE

played both Alpha & Beta versions and it just didn't click with me I guess, the game was pretty underwhelming and boring I still don't know what all the hype is about for this game, OP try to rent it or find another way to play it once it comes out to see if it's something you want, so you don't spend the $60 if it isn't

The Beta was fantastic this has game of the year writen all over it. We cant judge the full game so im just saying i have been bored with FPS games the last 3 to 4 years but this pulled me right back in. The shooting is extremly satisfying punching people into lightning dust, throwing knifes and great feeling weapons. We did not have these in the beta but just look at them and tell me you dont want them.

bad_juju.jpg

Gallery_132_25_793227.png

bunie-3d-printed-gun-2.png

destiny-hawkmoon-two-column-01-ps4-us-07jul14

Story looks to be nothing special but they are building a world here and im looking forward to get lost in the lore. Explore is fun when you are borde and just want to run around and not take things to seriously. Strikes are mini dungeons played with two other people we only had one but it was great fun and it can be played with diffrent difficulty and modifyers. There is a endgame raid were we all will die. Daily and weekly missions and PVP which seems to be hit or miss with people, i only played two matches and i didnt like it but the im not a competetive gamer so i never like pvp.

This is my most anticipated game of 2014.

My two cents.

When I first booted up Destiny and stepped into the world it felt to me like the first time I played Halo:Combat evolved, the first time I played Resident Evil, Final Fantasy VII Everquest and World of Warcraft.

I've been gaming my entire life and I don't get those experiences very often. The lore is hidden deep within the game and we are going to be finding it out together. The Zeitgeist of launch is something you Probaly shouldn't miss.

It's easily one of the best games I have played in a long, long time.

Don't get me wrong I understand the game has issue for some people and that's ok.

To me this is what I have been waiting for.

Halo + Phantasy Star + Guild Wars

It's not Halo skyrim. Bungie has crafted a world with large open levels that feeds into their mission and strike design that can also be free explored.

The meat of the game though is re-running strikes with friends and grinding for that last armor slot or gun drop. Min maxing and getting a little better with every mission.

When I started the alpha the devils strike was a bullet sponge that took near 30 minutes. By the end of the alpha I could drop the walker in 5-9 mins.

The fact that my buddies are there the entire time is also a big draw for me. Being an older gamer (32) I don't have a lot of time. Destiny allows me to jump on do a strike or a mission or a daily mission and feel like I've done something. If I have a lot of time lets do some story stuff a big strike or free explore.

Ontop of that the actual gunplay is top notch.

I don't know maybe I a rambling but Destiny is very special to me and I can't wait.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Wait TitanFall fell off?
Isnt it still one of the most popular games on XBL.

Beyond Battlefield and the COD games, isnt TitanFall the next most played console shooter out right now?

But doesnt matter anyway, because TitanFall and Destiny aint even in the same class.
I tried the Destiny Beta.....absolutely hated the PvP but then again, maybe i just sucked.
Everything else had a shit load of potential if ya ask me, i wasnt particularly excited to day 1 the game, but now im thinking of picking it up not to long after launch, assuming i dont have any game taking all my time then.

ACIDTITAN

Banned
Yea Idk seems pretty dull overall and lacking content still has great production value but i can see it becoming like cod for Activision.

Zakalwe

Banned
Wait TitanFall fell off?
Isnt it still one of the most popular games on XBL.

Beyond Battlefield and the COD games, isnt TitanFall the next most played console shooter out right now?

But doesnt matter anyway, because TitanFall and Destiny aint even in the same class.
I tried the Destiny Beta.....absolutely hated the PvP but then again, maybe i just sucked.
Everything else had a shit load of potential if ya ask me, i wasnt particularly excited to day 1 the game, but now im thinking of picking it up not to long after launch, assuming i dont have any game taking all my time then.

PC it has for sure. No one in my FL is playing it regularly any more, and it takes ages sometimes to find a game that isn't Attrition. I hear that echoed around a lot. Not sure if it picked up again after the most recent update.

Destiny PVP takes some getting used to. I hated it at first, then forced myself to learn it because it was annoying me that I was bad, and when I got good I actually found it incredibly fun. Also, it's much, much better when you're playing well against a team who's playing well. The games that end as close calls were almost always the most fun I had.

If you go in with a 6 man fireteam, do you know if the game tries to match you with similar?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
If you enjoy FPS games at all, I can't see you going too wrong with Destiny.

I spent about 30 hours with the Beta, and am constantly jonesing for more... it's really quite painful (the addiction is somewhat, real).

When other games aren't filling the Traveller sized gap in your gaming heart... you know you've touched on something special.

I'm thinking the experience at launch will be something different and unique; there's something to be said for riding the launch hype wave with others, instead of experiencing it further down the track once the vibe has died down a bit.

entremet

It looks like a B tier game in terms of quality. I played a lot of the beta and I wasn't too impressed. I can see the fun, though. But I most certainly don't get the hype.

I had no interest in this game before the beta, as I don't particularly enjoy FPS anymore. After the beta, this will be the only game I buy for the rest of the year. So I would argue that the game is really good.

The fact that my buddies are there the entire time is also a big draw for me. Being an oled gamer (32) I don't have a lot of time. Destiny allows me to jump on do a strike or a mission or a daily mission and feel like I've done something. If I have a lot of time lets do some story stuff a big strike or free explore.

I don't know maybe I a rambling but Destiny is very special to me and I can't wait.

This is pretty much how I feel as well. Back in the day I used to play WoW when it first got released. I always missed that certain MMO feeling where it feels like you are part of a new world but I just do not have the same amount of time to play such games.

Destiny is this perfect pick up 'n play title with still enough opportunity to join in with a few buddies despite the fact if you play a lot or not. It captures the same MMO feeling but it is packed in a way that you do not need to invest so much time into it.

Silvawuff

If you take a look at other high-profile MMOs or online games, they follow a cycle of popularity that burns down, then jumps up as additional content is released, which dies down again. I think Destiny will probably get a lot of initial popularity which will slow burn down. How often and how good new content is released will determine its ultimate market endurance.

I think the fact it's console-only is probably going to hurt it, since it's ignoring a large segment of its potential fanbase that may prefer to play games like this on PC.

Badosh

The Titantfall comparison made me laugh.

I think I put more hours into the Beta than the full Titanfall game.

As for explore, initially it seems great. You have this large area to explore. You have this awesome bike which you can summon at any time. However you very quickly realise that world is actually very boring and lifeless. It looks pretty but it's completely empty. There is no point in exploring other than to see pretty sights. The enemies you encounter in explore always the same and always spawn in the exact same spot.

Yeah you keep saying this over and over and it is not true. First of all there are diffrent things can spawn in the wild, one time i went exploring and i found that the enemies were high lvl knights where there used to be thralls. Another time there were an all out war between the Fallen and the Hive. There are also a few Public quest that can happend, a Devil walker can drop in or a bunch of ships can spawn in and start dropping enemies on the field and so on and what the hell you mean by there is no point in exploring i have no ide i have no idea. You need Spinmetal (a resource) to upgrade weapons and armor , public quest will give you Vanguard points and there are golden chest scattered about that will give you special loot.
(a speeder on earth, a emblem on the moon)

So you are wrong, wrong , wrong just because you dont like it dosent mean its bad and pointless. Besides this is the beta who know what else there will be out there in the full game.

DirtyLary

Titanfall looked like half a game.

Destiny looks to have a lot more to offer. It felt good in beta, although it lacked an essential piece: general VOIP.

Yet when TitanFall dropped everyone thought it was the greatest thing ever... kinda like now. Well see. Pretty gun skins and barbie dress up wont carry this game to far if thats their main content direction.

Manufactured hype.

joke

You need to be a very special kind of moronic to not notice it. Watching this shit get forcefully spread across the various web outlets just prior to release is going to make me vomit.

I get a feeling this is going to be the worst case of astro turfing in gaming history.

mku6Owj

I've been watching gameplay footage since they released any and honestly...
The game looks ok. Looks like something I'll play for 20 hours and then drop.
But everyone is talking about it like it's the GOTG (or cross gen... when will they stop this!)
To the people who got to play it. Is it really that good? How long do you think it'll last?
I mean Titanfall was also praised and hyped... The game got forgotten so quick.
I remember my facebook feed being flooded with people saying that titanfall was the ultimate experience and that all other console FPS' would never dent it. Now, we never even talk about Titanfall anymoe except to crack jokes about it.

Will Destiny be the same? Does anyone else doubt it's greatness? Am I being silly and should I just wait for the game to come out and be completely amazed? Or what?

Titanfall and destiny are hyped. The only difference is, we got to try destiny, alpha and beta. Titanfall dont remember it getting tried before the launch date. So we know exactly what we are getting ourselves into, a great online sci fi fps adventure game.

This will have legs, absolutely. They are going to build on this game and bring out expansions
dlc
every 6-9 months.

Its absolutely great, amazing even. But these are just opinions. When the game comes out, make your own opinion if you wanna get it or not.

Yet when TitanFall dropped everyone thought it was the greatest thing ever... kinda like now. Well see. Pretty gun skins and barbie dress up wont carry this game to far if thats their main content direction.

Bungie has a much better track record in regards to keeping players interested in their multiplayer aspect.

Have you forgotten how popular Halo was?

You need to be a very special kind of moronic to not notice it. Watching this shit get forcefully spread across the various outlets just prior to release is going to make me vomit.

These "outlets" do exactly that with every big game.

Do you rage everytime transformers shows up before a Super Bowl?

That's how it works. If you want the pulse of the hype, check boards and online communities but I don't see how raging at IGN or whoever to publish content on games that are coming out is bad.

Silvawuff

Why would it? You have a multiplayer aspect in Destiny that rivals Call of Duty in regards to choices.

I think it will hurt it because not everyone has a console setup, or may prefer the customization and control that a PC offers. I'm not trying to spark a port debate or anything here, I'm looking at this through a business lens: more people own capable PCs right now than consoles, and you want to spread your game across as much of your potential market as possible.

I think this is a bit off-track for the topic at large in this thread though -- is Destiny a good game that will last? We won't know until it's been out in the wild, live, with all of its content on display.

Zakalwe

Banned
Titanfall and destiny are hyped. The only difference is, we got to try destiny, alpha and beta. Titanfall dont remember it getting tried before the launch date. So we know exactly what we are getting ourselves into, a great online sci fi fps adventure game.

Its absolutely great, amazing even. But these are just opinions. When the game comes out, make your own opinion if you wanna get it or not.

There was a Titanfall Beta, and it was great. I think I burnt myself out on it though, when the release came around I'd felt like I'd already got all I could from the game.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
If you take a look at other high-profile MMOs or online games, they follow a cycle of popularity that burns down, then jumps up as additional content is released, which dies down again. I think Destiny will probably get a lot of initial popularity which will slow burn down. How often and how good new content is released will determine its ultimate market endurance.

I think the fact it's console-only is probably going to hurt it, since it's ignoring a large segment of its potential fanbase that may prefer to play games like this on PC.

I think events and other aspects of Destiny will always bring people back
There's too much we still don't know

Some BETA testers (including me) pushed the game to see what it offered
From ranks/rep+/marks/loot/over-leveling/tiers/farming, just to push the the game to a higher level than allowed just to get info out of it
Game is gonna be one of those time filler games
Were others you go waste or kill time, in this one you will put in time to fill a need this game will offer

No they didn't. Some people maybe. But tons of people were luke warm to cold on TitanFall.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I've been watching gameplay footage since they released any and honestly...
The game looks ok. Looks like something I'll play for 20 hours and then drop.
But everyone is talking about it like it's the GOTG (or cross gen... when will they stop this!)
To the people who got to play it. Is it really that good? How long do you think it'll last?
I mean Titanfall was also praised and hyped... The game got forgotten so quick.
I remember my facebook feed being flooded with people saying that titanfall was the ultimate experience and that all other console FPS' would never dent it. Now, we never even talk about Titanfall anymoe except to crack jokes about it.

Will Destiny be the same? Does anyone else doubt it's greatness? Am I being silly and should I just wait for the game to come out and be completely amazed? Or what?

It's too soon to be the GOTG but it's got bags of potential.

I played hours in both the Alpha and Beta and, as much as I want to be cynical and critical, for me it is that good. I was mildly curious before but sinking a good few hours into it made me a believer. It didn't get me straight away - I had to become accustomed to the slower pace and the mechanics - but once I did, it was an unholy timesink.

Wait and see and don't get distracted by the hyperbole - just because I think it's godly doesn't mean it is for everyone.

Erm Titanfall had a beta, it is what got me excited to play the game and I still enjoy it.

OP I don't think Destiny is a game changer in what it brings to the table but it is a solid game but will 100% be down to your own tastes. Personally for me it is just an okay game. I never felt like I had to turn on my PS4 to play it in the alpha or beta so when I know I can take or leave a multiplayer game I generally don't get it.

Gameplay (again this is my opinion) is just your standard FPS with a layer of customization thrown in. I much prefer Halo but it is a different kind of game, so rather than saying if it is better than worse it is more about the kind of experience you are after and for me Destiny is not one that I am.

I think what didn't help Destiny for me in the beta (in regards the PvE) was the length of the strike mission. I don't want to be tied up for 3 hours for instance as every boss is a bullet sponge and I have to get through this huge chunk in one go.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I just finished the main campaign, and it is awesome.

Wait, it's not released yet, so no I didn't. Not sure I understand the thread.

If the beta is any indication, I surely will not enjoy the monotony of babysitting your ghost, kill quests and collection quests. Story mode was eh, explore mode really didn't give way to much exploration and PvP was OK, at best. Serviceable but nothing to get excited about.

The only way to play is with co-op and act like idiots. Trying to take this game seriously didn't click for me. Too much travel time for not enough unique gameplay and payoff. We've played this game before. Here's hoping for better boss encounters because bullet sponge turrets while a bunch of enemies continue to spawn is a cheap excuse for a boss mechanic. "But, but but.... The enemies spawn to give you a chance to get more ammo to kill the boss!". Right. Such a well-thought out mechanic. Don't just make me shoot his legs out to expose a weak point and spend thousands of rounds doing it. Make me work to land shots on the boss, not work for more ammo to shoot the boss continuously until a weak point is exposed.

AI is also lackluster. There's just so many missed opportunities with what I've played so far. Maybe release will be better, have better missions, etc - but Beta was certainly not an amazing foot to put forward.

There was a Titanfall Beta, and it was great. I think I burnt myself out on it though, when the release came around I'd felt like I'd already got all I could from the game.

Ah yes, I remember now. Yeah I imagine with only a multi-player campaign you get bored pretty quickly.

These "outlets" do exactly that with every big game.

Do you rage everytime transformers shows up before a Super Bowl?

That's how it works. If you want the pulse of the hype, check boards and online communities but I don't see how raging at IGN or whoever to publish content on games that are coming out is bad.

My point is, the game in no way, shape, or form, justifies the amount of hype all over the place, it's disproportionate in the extreme and very very gross.

DirtyLary

Bungie has a much better track record in regards to keeping players interested in their multiplayer aspect.

Have you forgotten how popular Halo was?

Doesnt mean a thing. That was Halo this is now.

You can say the same thing for the Titanfall devs, their COD was one of the best.

Canucked

I played destiny for a few days. It was great. Forget Halo. Forget MMOs.

It reminded me of Phantasy Star Online.

I want more. I wanna see it all. I'll play it alone or with groups. I'm still getting the Ghost Edition. No "preorder cancelled" here.

Fracas

#fuckonami
You can't call the story yet, we have no way of knowing if what we saw was how it will be.

We're in a thread asking for impressions of the alpha/beta; I guess "everything that has been available to measure the story by so far is middling" would be a better statement but still.

Frostburn

I would say the game looked good to me before I played the Alpha but after getting my hands on it everything just clicked. I played the Alpha a ton and the Beta even more and have been wanting to play it again ever since. This is of course all my own opinion but everything about the game play, world, etc is just exactly what I like in a game.

Nipo

If the beta is any indication, I surely will not enjoy the monotony of babysitting your ghost, kill quests and collection quests. Story mode was eh, explore mode really didn't give way to much exploration and PvP was OK, at best. Serviceable but nothing to get excited about.

The only way to play is with co-op and act like idiots. Trying to take this game seriously didn't click for me. Too much travel time for not enough unique gameplay and payoff. We've played this game before. Here's hoping for better boss encounters because bullet sponge turrets while a bunch of enemies continue to spawn is a cheap excuse for a boss mechanic. "But, but but.... The enemies spawn to give you a chance to get more ammo to kill the boss!". Right. Such a well-thought out mechanic. Don't just make me shoot his legs out to expose a weak point and spend thousands of rounds doing it. Make me work to land shots on the boss, not work for more ammo to shoot the boss continuously until a weak point is exposed.

AI is also lackluster. There's just so many missed opportunities with what I've played so far. Maybe release will be better, have better missions, etc - but Beta was certainly not an amazing foot to put forward.

So pretty much every MMORPG ever?

My point is, the game in no way, shape, or form, justifies the amount of hype all over the place, it's disproportionate in the extreme and very very gross.

You realize your opinion isn't always right? Like I already posted Destiny is one of the best games I have ever played. Along with a lot of other people. Does that make it true? Hell no.

Deal with it. This is how marketing works and right now a lot more people are interested I this game then anything else right now.

I don't get off on mobas or grand theft auto but I don't sit around and complain whenever I see converge or the torrent of hype around GTA.

Doesnt mean a thing. That was Halo this is now.

You can say the same thing for the Titanfall devs, their COD was one of the best.
It being now doesn't mean anything. Bungie has a reputation and there are people that are willing to try Destiny just because of Bungie's track record.
You realize your opinion isn't always right? Like I already posted Destiny is one of the best games I have ever played. Along with a lot of other people. Does that make it true? Hell no.

Deal with it. This is how marketing works and right now a lot more people are interested I this game then anything else right now.

I don't get off on mobas or grand theft auto but I don't sit around and complain whenever used converge or the torrent of hype around GTA
If that hype misleads people into thinking what the game is you should be. Manufactured hype is real and something these outlets should be called out for. It's like clockwork that media outlets are going to over hype a GTA game, then people buy it and realize that these outlets just omitted a bunch of the downsides of these games just so they can get clicks on their website.

Top Bottom