• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

link1201

There's a medal called "Cliffhanger" that I got for nading a guy mid clamber. Wonder if it applies to all kills

Yeah, I never truly gave Reach its due.

Oh yeah? That's cool.

I loved the customization in Halo: Reach. I hope Halo 5 returns to that level.

I am hopeful one day I'll see the return of my leather leg pouch.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Is that a peach that swings both ways? Anyhoo - congrats! Now make me a fun Halo game and put a hammer innit ;)

kMd64Ns.gif

Impala26

Yeah, I never truly gave Reach its due.

When played with competent players, Halo Ball and Reach Hockey were every bit as competitive and intense as Grifball.

Dino Blasters was just one of my favorite lol-random gametypes. I can't recall exactly, but I don't think you could make that gametype exactly without modding. It was force players as Elites, infinite ammo Concussion Rifles with bottomless clips and everyone has jetpacks. It was the jetpacks I'm not sure you could replicate as it was like infinite jetpacks but they basically were "hover packs" instead of providing a ton of vertical movement.

When played with competent players, Halo Ball and Reach Hockey were every bit as competitive and intense as Grifball.
So... not?

Dino Blasters was just one of my favorite lol-random gametypes. I can't recall exactly, but I don't think you could make that gametype exactly without modding. It was force players as Elites, infinite ammo Concussion Rifles with bottomless clips and everyone has jetpacks. It was the jetpacks I'm not sure you could replicate as it was like infinite jetpacks but they basically were "hover packs" instead of providing a ton of vertical movement.

I did always enjoy Dino Blasters, leading shots and moving in three dimensions was fun.

Havoc2049

Here is a cool Matt Chat interview with Ed Fries, former head of Microsoft Game Studios. A few cool Halo related stories in the interview. It sounds like Halo 2 was about to go down the MCC path, but luckily Ed Fries and Jason Jones fought the "non-gaming suits" at MS to get an extra year of development.

The Matt Chat interview with Ed Fries is part three of a four part series. If you're an Xbox and Halo fan, the whole series is worth a watch. Part four comes out next week.

FyreWulff

Didn't need to mod to make Dino Blasters, you can build it off the built-in Elite Slayer gametype.

Just give all players Infinite Ammo and Infinite AA Usage.

Impala26

Didn't need to mod to make Dino Blasters, you can build it off the built-in Elite Slayer gametype.

Just give all players Infinite Ammo and Infinite AA Usage.

Ah okay, I just wasn't sure. I guess jetpack with infinite battery simply becomes a hover-jet at it's max height then? That's what was the unique thing about Dino Blasters. Hell do you move slow just hovering at one altitude like that.

I always felt meltdown was a pretty good map. I liked the cross fire over the vehicle road thing. The tunnels were also quite fun to pop in and out of.

Could have done without the mantis though.

Agreed on both counts.

HTupolev

It was the jetpacks I'm not sure you could replicate as it was like infinite jetpacks but they basically were "hover packs" instead of providing a ton of vertical movement.
Jetpacks in Reach have a very nonlinear thrust curve after engagement. They have an initial kick that provides huge upward power but then taper off to a hover (and even get to where you're slowly falling).

This is standard behavior even without infinite AA energy. For instance, to make some big jetpack climbs (i.e. on Paradiso), you have to use your jetpack energy in two bursts, rather than 1 big burst.

-Ryn

Banned
Not a great map, but it looked gorgeous..
I always felt meltdown was a pretty good map. I liked the cross fire over the vehicle road thing. The tunnels were also quite fun to pop in and out of.

Could have done without the mantis though.
I suppose it just isn't very visually appealing to me.

I can understand why it might be fun from a gameplay perspective; the tunnels and figure 8 design of the map have a cool flow to them. The map itself though is just too... busy? The color scheme is weird and the rocks and cliffs look so artificial. Maybe that was intentional but it just doesn't look very good imo...

Jetpacks in Reach have a very nonlinear thrust curve after engagement. They have an initial kick that provides huge upward power but then taper off to a hover (and even get to where you're slowly falling).

This is standard behavior even without infinite AA energy. For instance, to make some big jetpack climbs (i.e. on Paradiso), you have to use your jetpack energy in two bursts, rather than 1 big burst.
Learning the arc and thrust of the jet pack was fun in Reach.

Once you understood it you could use it to get to really cool heights and sniper spots. I think it could be really fun as a pick up for campaign and multiplayer modes (fun party stuff). It just sucks for competitive multiplayer sadly.

King Leo

Neo Member
One word

Falcon

I personally had way more fun with the base game of Reach than Halo 4. H4 just had too much fluff in the way and too little content/features imo (the game isn't half bad under all of that though).

I came from Halo 3 in an extremely competitive mindset and that's probably why Reach was a complete letdown for me. Through time I learned to appreciate the casual fun it held, and I did enjoy the Arena system, but the gameplay was just god awful. It's still better than 4 in almost every aspect though.

jem0208

I suppose it just isn't very visually appealing to me.

I can understand why it might be fun from a gameplay perspective; the tunnels and figure 8 design of the map have a cool flow to them. The map itself though is just too... busy? The color scheme is weird and the rocks and cliffs look so artificial. Maybe that was intentional but it just doesn't look very good imo...

Ah, aesthetically I actually think it's very cool. The sky box is awesome. I agree it does look pretty busy though.

Who are you calling a hipster you shill?
:p

Oh man, I haven't been called a shill for a long time. Brings back memories of the X1 reveal...
:p

jelly

Here is a cool Matt Chat interview with Ed Fries, former head of Microsoft Game Studios. A few cool Halo related stories in the interview. It sounds like Halo 2 was about to go down the MCC path, but luckily Ed Fries and Jason Jones fought the "non-gaming suits" at MS to get an extra year of development.

The Matt Chat interview with Ed Fries is part three of a four part series. If you're an Xbox and Halo fan, the whole series is worth a watch. Part four comes out next week.

Good stuff, some old some new to me.

I always thought it was a rumour EA got a slice of the Xbox Live Gold pie but Fries said they made a deal, wonder if it still exists.

Ed Fries managers sound like complete tools. Halo 2 needs another year, like really and the person wants a vote with all the suits, everyone votes stick to the original schedule. No wonder Fries almost walked out. Curious to know who the other people were. Could even be the other Xbox bosses and team members. Bizarre.

Fuchsdh

Good stuff, some old some new to me.

I always thought it was a rumour EA got a slice of the Xbox Live Gold pie but Fries said they made a deal, wonder if it still exists.

Ed Fries managers sound like complete tools. Halo 2 needs another year, like really and the person wants a vote with all the suits, everyone votes stick to the original schedule. No wonder Fries almost walked out. Curious to know who the other people were. Could even be the other Xbox bosses and team members. Bizarre.

It's the age-old story. If you let "the suits" run the place you end up with sloppy games and cash-grabs, if you let the developers go wild with no constraints you'd end up with massively ambitious projects that don't end up working (see Bioshock Infinite, Duke Nukem). Best case scenario is there's a happy balance and mutual respect for each other's work.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Are we discounting leak suppression and tease misdirections?

Scandalous!

Yes. If I make a claim or a statement, it is either true or I 100% believe it to be true. If I distract you with vague look over there's then you should be used to that by now.

-Ryn

Banned
I came from Halo 3 in an extremely competitive mindset and that's probably why Reach was a complete letdown for me. Through time I learned to appreciate the casual fun it held, and I did enjoy the Arena system, but the gameplay was just god awful. It's still better than 4 in almost every aspect though.
Reach certainly did suffer from a competitive standpoint. It was especially frustrating to try and be an effective solo player when your team sucked. To be honest I didn't really touch arena much. I played ranked H3 a lot but Arena just put me off for whatever reason.

Ah, aesthetically I actually think it's very cool. The sky box is awesome. I agree it does look pretty busy though.
The skybox isn't half bad. Honestly I love color in maps (if my previous posts haven't eluded to that already :p) but something about Meltdown just doesn't mesh well to me I guess lol

While I might be mistaken from time to time, I have never knowingly typed a lie on this forum. OK?
There you have it true believers!

I laughed.

Please redact that statement, my street cred is nosediving.
image.php

jelly

It's the age-old story. If you let "the suits" run the place you end up with sloppy games and cash-grabs, if you let the developers go wild with no constraints you'd end up with massively ambitious projects that don't end up working (see Bioshock Infinite, Duke Nukem). Best case scenario is there's a happy balance and mutual respect for each other's work.

True but guess it doesn't always work out that way. Need strong but not overly stubborn folk with understanding and common sense.

Just me or is Battlefield Halo without the attachements and carrot on a stick XP stuff what I hope BTB is like sometimes?

Maybe 343 could save that for an ODST game or something.

If they made a spin off game focusing on standard armed forces, I wouldn't mind a standard FPS kind of game. Could be interesting.

FyreWulff

Yeah, I remember Bungie mentioning in an interview way back that beancounters originally wanted Halo 3 as a 360 launch title. The time scheduling would have just been a LITTLE bit absurd.

A similar thing was almost pushed for on the One as well:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mi...o-game-as-xbox-one-launch-title/1100-6416386/

-Ryn

Banned
I really want to see H5's BTB.
So what are your predictions for H5's BTB?

Upscaled Invasion?

Yeah, I remember Bungie mentioning in an interview way back that beancounters originally wanted Halo 3 as a 360 launch title. The time scheduling would have just been a LITTLE bit absurd.

A similar thing was almost pushed for on the One as well:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mi...o-game-as-xbox-one-launch-title/1100-6416386/
It really sucks when a game gets screwed by this kind of stuff. Luckily H3 and to a lesser extent H2 managed to come out fine.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Just me or is Battlefield Halo without the attachements and carrot on a stick XP stuff what I hope BTB is like sometimes?

Maybe 343 could save that for an ODST game or something.

You're thinking of Star Wars Battlefront

So There will Soon Be an Update For MCC that hopefully will fix most issues.
ANd we know that they are working on a way to incentivize player to return and hopefully rebuild the population.

Does anyone think that they might give us Halo reach?
I know it might create more issue and might not be worth it to alot of folks but i think it would be kind of cool, Maybe keep updating MCC with more halo games.

Maybe?

Ghazi

So There will Soon Be an Update For MCC that hopefully will fix most issues.
ANd we know that they are working on a way to incentivize player to return and hopefully rebuild the population.

Does anyone think that they might give us Halo reach?
I know it might create more issue and might not be worth it to alot of folks but i think it would be kind of cool, Maybe keep updating MCC with more halo games.

Maybe?

There is no recovering the number of players MCC bled through, first (and in this case second, third, and fourth) impressions matter. Most of the people who picked up the game to casually play it probably haven't but it in their console in a while and there's only so much amount of time that you can keep stringing your core audience along with updates before they lose hope as well. They won't port Reach either, ODST is coming because the work has already been done in H3 and ODST might've already been in the future content pipeline as paid DLC. They'd have to port over Reach and its engine to the One and then deal with integrating it into the technical mess that MCC is.

Imagine if there had been a population counter in this game...

Sometimes I wonder if I got a special copy of the game or something. "Just muffling"?

The new music is full of tons of bangy, brassy noise (among other things) which doesn't exist in the original. It's a substantial style difference.

I've also found spots with timing issues, like at the end of the fight when you get to the marine HQ on Metropolis. The music is supposed to quit for the "oh shit" scarab moment, but they left it just sort of doing its thing continuously from the start of the vehicle battle until the scarab exits behind the HQ for you to chase after it.

//====================

Admittedly, the old audio isn't quite perfect for use in MCC; Classic Mode does and doesn't sound like the original. It does sound like the original in that the audio was seemingly ported in a reasonably precise way. It doesn't sound like the original in that the peculiarities and strengths/weaknesses of TV audio setups have changed over time.

Hook my oXbox up to my new HDTV? Sounds a lot like MCC. Hook it up to my 15-year-old Trinitron? Glorious.

:|

Is the H2A OST missing some percussion? I remember being kinda confused during some cutscenes where I expected snares and they weren't there.

HTupolev

It's crazy how accurate the music is, too - the faithfulness of it combined with the compression on the original tracks in-game makes it sound like you're just muffling the music when you switch to classic mode.
Sometimes I wonder if I got a special copy of the game or something. "Just muffling"?

The new music is full of tons of bangy, brassy noise (among other things) which doesn't exist in the original. It's a substantial style difference.

I've also found spots with timing issues, like at the end of the fight when you get to the marine HQ on Metropolis. The music is supposed to quit for the "oh shit" scarab moment, but they left it just sort of doing its thing continuously from the start of the vehicle battle until the scarab exits behind the HQ for you to chase after it.

//====================

Admittedly, the old audio isn't quite perfect for use in MCC; Classic Mode does and doesn't sound like the original. It does sound like the original in that the audio was seemingly ported in a reasonably precise way. It doesn't sound like the original in that the peculiarities and strengths/weaknesses of TV audio setups have changed over time.

Hook my oXbox up to my new HDTV? Sounds a lot like MCC. Hook it up to my 15-year-old Trinitron? Glorious.

:|

Madness

I must be in the minority for liking the way BTB was in past games CE, 2, 3 etc. While I can and do play games like Battlefield, nothing comes close to the BTB matches I've had in Halo. I just don't get it.

Edit: I meant I don't get why people want to get rid of the BTB we've had to copy games they can readily play anytime. I mean hell BF4 premium was just on sale, Hardline is coming out, who knows how Star Wars: Battlefront will be soon, why make Halo be like them.

Booshka

I must be in the minority for liking the way BTB was in past games CE, 2, 3 etc. While I can and do play games like Battlefield, nothing comes close to the BTB matches I've had in Halo. I just don't get it.

It's pretty simple, player to player combat on an infantry level is just more satisfying in Halo than the vast majority of other shooters. Big ass battles in Battlefield is its own thing, but a typical engagement with another player on foot is extremely forgettable and a means to an end to get to a vehicle or objective.

Whereas in Halo, those engagements can be far more interesting and more drawn out. Also have more impact because the weapon spawning and cycling system with on map pickups, instead of just spawning with a power weapon as a part of your loadout. So the swings in momentum are decided more in infantry engagements than they would be in a game where you spawn with that shit.

-Ryn

Banned
I personally just want a higher player cap and vehicle count.

I'm not really into classes and whatnot. I mean I suppose they could be done in a way that works but from what I've seen of H5, not so much. There's no real reason for it. To clarify I mean there's no reason for classes to exist as there aren't things like health packs or trip mines or even engineerable things. Spawning from a drop pod would be cool though imo (depending on the size).

Booshka's explanation is right on point as well.
Infantry combat in Halo is a whole other level of fun than other games.

Top Bottom