• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PS3 exclusive says EGM

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunlunqq

uhhh...

EGM's rumur mill is an "interesting" column. Has any of the previous EGM-released rumors turned out to be true?

Ceb

lunlunqq said:
uhhh...

EGM's rumur mill is an "interesting" column. Has any of the previous EGM-released rumors turned out to be true?

This rumor has been floating around for a while though, and not just in vague "FFXIII will be on PS3" terms. It seems like we'll get at least a brief trailer at E3 establishing the theme of FFXIII, which is supposed to revolve around the number 13. After the last couple of games, I'm expecting a darker, more sombre style to the game. For some reason I also believe they're gonna do an "anti-FFXII" by, say, having the entire game set in one big city or something. It's gotta be crafted in SOME way to save resources a bit. No way we're getting an FF with the scope of FFXIII so early in the PS3's life. :)

Bebpo

Banned
FFXIII is getting shown at E3 almost 100%. Square's already confirmed several times they are having a big event around the time of E3 to announce something major and FFXIII is a good deal in development.

Only question is what system.

FFXIII trailer + MGS4 real trailer + Halo 3 trailer = GAF WILL BE DOWN THAT DAY

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Bebpo said:
FFXIII is getting shown at E3 almost 100%. Square's already confirmed several times they are having a big event around the time of E3 to announce something major and FFXIII is a good deal in development.

Only question is what system.

FFXIII trailer + MGS4 real trailer + Halo 3 trailer = GAF WILL BE DOWN THAT DAY

thankfully we'll have a DC GAF server again, hopefully. and bittorrent

lunlunqq

wow, thx a lot, wario. That's good news! As a big FF fan, I'd be super excited if this turns out to be true. Can't wait for E3!!!

ram

Mooreberg said:
FFIX came out around PS2 launch (in the U.S.), FFX came out a year after. Sounds like they could be following the same exact pattern with FFXII and FFXIII.

yes - and final fantasy xii was really delayed many times. and i have no doubt, that square enix got their dev kits right after sony japans internal studios.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
u_neek said:
Didn'e some guy from Square say tht there will be no new (major..?) FF announcements this year?

I thought they said they'd announce their decision as to the future of the series, regarding possible multiplatform or not, at E3.

I still think it might be multiplatform though.

Jonnyram

Actually FFIX came out after the PS2 had been released in Japan. Some four months later, in fact. So if history repeats, FFXIII will be on PS2 and FFXIV would be on PS3 - but history's got a knack of not repeating ;)

Krowley

i hope the rev game is pilot wings.. that's the only game i bought with my n64, and the only n64 game i ever owned while the system was popular.

I loved that game and played through it several times.. birdman mode was AWESOME.

Zaptruder

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Actually FFIX came out after the PS2 had been released in Japan. Some four months later, in fact. So if history repeats, FFXIII will be on PS2 and FFXIV would be on PS3 - but history's got a knack of not repeating ;)

If History repeats, the PS3 will get another 3 main FF games, been FF13-15.

NES 1-3
SNES 4-6
PSX 7-9
PS2 10-12
PS3 13-15

And so on and so forth.

So far history has been relatively consistent.

As far as FFXIII 'near completion' I'm guessing anywhere from 18 to 36 months out, given the state of completion FFXII was in 3 years ago.

It's highly plausible S-E have been for more than a year developing high quality art assets that can scale well (through normals and texture res reduction) for FF13, and only after near final devkits were delivered did things start getting locked in.

Meanwhile, the preproduction; story, battle system, gameplay, prototyping, etc, etc would be long out of the way by the time E3 rolls around.

Elios83

FFXIII has been on development on PS3 for more than a year,so no surprise.
Anyway I think it will be a winter 2007/spring 2008 title.
Can't wait till E3,hoping Square Enix will show even more titles,FFXIII and FFVII remake announced and the E3 is done for me :O

D3VI0US

Which FF's did Sqaure reveal at that one meeting way back in the day? I think it might have been 10 and 11 with a teaser artwork for 12. They plan ahead but I still find the close to being finished comments suspect, we'll probably see it released in 07. E3 is gonna be fucking nuts!

u_neek

D3VI0US said:
Which FF's did Sqaure reveal at that one meeting way back in the day? I think it might have been 10 and 11 with a teaser artwork for 12. They plan ahead but I still find the close to being finished comments suspect, we'll probably see it released in 07. E3 is gonna be fucking nuts!
IX, X and XI...

Jonnyram

And IX was released in July 2000, X in July 2001 and XI in May 2002, after a delay of a few months for tuning. So a great deal of the work was done in parallel on all three projects, actually. FFX didn't change too much visually from the original presentation - Tidus became blonde instead of having dark hair. But FFXI changed totally - it was pretty much a concept demo at the presentation, with the old 2D backdrops like the PS1 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom