• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PS3 exclusive says EGM

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3149186

Final Fantasy XIII, PS3 Exclusive?

The May issue of EGM, which we're thumbing through right now, hints that before Final Fantasy XII is released in the U.S. Square Enix plans to unveil Final Fantasy XIII at this May's E3. This issue also reveals in its rumor mill section that we should "expect a brief teaser video and confirmation from the publisher that the RPG will be a PS3 exclusive."
This corroborates rumblings we've heard that Final Fantasy XIII is practically close to being finished, and Square has been holding off on revealing it until FFXII (which was delayed several times) was released in Japan.

The issue also features some other tasty rumor nuggets worth checking out: Mario Paint for DS, a new PSP design (and new functions), and a sequel to a popular SNES/N64 franchise for the Revolution (read the mag to find out which it is).

In any case, FFXIII at E3. Commence freaking out. We are.

Bebpo

Banned
How can it be close to being finished and on the PS3? Isn't that an oxymoron?

If it's close to being finished it's PS2, if it's on the PS3 it's not close.

Did I just read that correctly? Final Fantasy XIII is close to being done!? So what...they're gonna have it as a Japanese launch title?

don't they have rotating teams working on the FF games? Like one team does 10, 12, 14 while the other team works on 11, 13, 15, ect...at the same time? Maybe the FF13 team has just been waiting for FF12 guys to hurry the fuck up.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
OMG! OMG! OMG! FF XIII at E3!!! PS3 exclusive???

Shit I can't wait until E3! I will sell my body to go to this year's E3. Any buyers? :lol

Striek

EGMs rumours are always awesome.

Anyway, insiduurs have FFXIII as PS2-only and FFXIV as PS3/X360. Hmmm.

Funny thing about an exclusivity announcement for FF, if its PS3 its 'wow, no shit', but if its multiplatform its 'omfg ps3 owned'.

Ninja Scooter said:
don't they have rotating teams working on the FF games? Like one team does 10, 12, 14 while the other team works on 11, 13, 15, ect...at the same time? Maybe the FF13 team has just been waiting for FF12 guys to hurry the fuck up.

Yup. VII team does IX, VIII team does X, IX does XI...something like that.

Tenacious-V said:
How is that a surprise to anyone?

The exclusivity, nope, but the fact it's almost done is. I mean do devs even have final dev kits for the PS3 yet? And how many years did it take them to complete XII.

Johnas

Awesome. I always thought that "FFXIII on PS2" stuff was sketchy.

This game might end up stealing some of MGS4's thunder.

<nu>faust

"close being finished" ....i call that bs....i'd love to be wrong though.
anyways e3's just around the corner, soon thruth will shine.

jaundicejuice said:
The exclusivity, nope, but the fact it's almost done is. I mean do devs even have final dev kits for the PS3 yet? And how many years did it take them to complete XII.
This is Squaresoft, Sony probably gave them the PS3 dev kits before the PS3 was even a twinkle in their eye.

Matix

-FF 13 = PS3 Exclusive:
Sounds believable, besides the "close to being finished" BS.

-Mario Paint DS:
Genius.

-PSP Redesign:
Uh, wasn't this kinda debunked at the recent PS-Meeting.

-REV Revived Classic: Yea, Pilotwangs.

Mooreberg

FFIX came out around PS2 launch (in the U.S.), FFX came out a year after. Sounds like they could be following the same exact pattern with FFXII and FFXIII.

Duh?

Kitase said that to make an entire game with the visual quality seen in the FFVII tech demo it would take a massive team 5 years or something.

I also find it very possible that FFXIII could be near finished. At any rate, they will have been working on it for years at this point.

ahmad

Banned
teruterubozu said:
With all the previous FF delays, I would take this information with a giant heap of salt.
\
tas_sel.gif

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Well now we got something to look forward to for Square's sake at E3. I was expecting another demo of FFXII.

Kevtones said:
That sequel is most definitely Pilotwings ~ :D Which btw will be FUCKING AWESOME with the REVmote.
Definitely.

And how about that Mario Paint DS rumor? Hell, it's a damn near perfect fit for the DS. This is the best news right here.

i don't buy that its 'near complete' but i'm sure its very far along. i see it coming out within 6-9 months after the ps3 launch. i wouldn't expect anything more than a teaser at e3 though; it could take away the steam from ffxii's NA release easily

to be "almost done" and on PS3 would mean that it was most likely originally a PS2 title that got bumped due to delays. Making it a PS2 upgraded to PS3 canidate :(

Mooreberg

meltpotato said:
to be "almost done" and on PS3 would mean that it was most likely originally a PS2 title that got bumped due to delays. Making it a PS2 upgraded to PS3 canidate :(

Either that or they developed it around an older nVidia card. Could be like VF5 where it looks really good, but not as amazing as people would expect.

Speevy said:
As opposed to multiplatform or Xbox 360 exclusive? Yeah, that wasn't obvious...
Hey, you're no analyst, 3rd party developer, 3rd party publisher, mature gamer, mainstream gamer, store owner, or media reporter. Why didn't you mention the Revolution?

Anyway, I'm most interested in the PSP redesign.

Mario Paint DS is something I've suggested as soon as I heard about touch screen functionality. I find it incredibly hard to draw with the tiny stylus, my Mario Kart Emblem sucks! I hope they give us a bigger one, and possibly include a lot of the stuff that game Stage Debut was said to have.

.....the FFXIII doesn't concern me at all. Obviously it'd be PS3 exclusive, and if they do show it at e3 its just gonna kill my excitement for FFXII. Personally, I hope they just hold off from showing it until FFXII comes out, and they make it OMEGA good, rather than just VERY good.

BiLo

Banned
Ok ok, everyone hear me out. No more metrosexual heroes. I wan't everyone to be fully-clothed unlike FF12, and not have squeeky Mickey Mouse voice like Tidus. Please do that for me.

And there were people thinking that the Final Fantasy series would go multi-platform(not counting crystal chronicles)...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
SolidSnakex said:
He said it'd take around that long to make a game that's the quality of the E3 trailer.

SO that means that FF XIII won't be anyway near the quailty of the FFVII trailer?

mckmas8808 said:
SO that means that FF XIII won't be anyway near the quailty of the FFVII trailer?

Well unless Kitase was just trying to play down the demand for FF7, then nope it won't look that good, or really anywhere near as good as that given the wording.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The revived Nintendo game will be Starfox considering Nintendo successfully killed the franchise this gen.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
BiLo said:
Ok ok, everyone hear me out. No more metrosexual heroes. I wan't everyone to be fully-clothed unlike FF12, and not have squeeky Mickey Mouse voice like Tidus. Please do that for me.
th_herosuik4.jpg

huh...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom