• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Kojima to leave Konami after MGSV, power struggle, communications embargo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timeaisis

I hope it all turns out well for Kojima & the KojiPro team.

Regarding the Sony thing...KojiPro could use some increased stability right about now, thats for sure...

For sure. Kojima has such a high stature, it would be insane if some publisher didn't come to him with a deal.

If it happened with Mikami it can happen with Kojima. Hopefully he can retain some of his core team, they are obviously very talented.

Catch ya later Konami

if this actually happens Konami has just lost its life boat...Kojima him and the whole Metal Gear team are the only ones keeping Konami afloat these days

Baleoce

Wasn't the whole point of Silent Hills collab so that Kojima and Del Toro could work together? That's gonna go sour if it doesn't play out like that, surely?

Skunkers

Sooo... bet all your money on one horse, stop making any other franchises, no real remasters or remakes, nothing. Then.... alienate the horse. If there's no Kojima, what will Konami even make?

HeelPower

What's gonna happen to Silent Hills?

RIP Silent HIlls and Konami

What happens to Silent Hills?:( :( :(

What about Silent Hills?

Silent Hills most likely dead if its true.

I am actually worried about MGSV itself now.There is a large chunk of development left and you can't expect them to finish up the game well when the team will likely be in bad spirits.

Holy shit this is terrible news on so many fronts.

What IP does Konami have besides Metal Gear Solid that's actually good?

Like Capcom, Namco, Square Enix, etc. all have a bunch of other stuff. I can't think of anything for Konami. And now they're letting go of the guy that was substantial in the making of their most important franchise.
Castlevania, Bomberman, Contra, Gradius just to name a few. They let them all go to shit as well (although Castlevania has at least had two competent games recently).

entremet

It just seems a lot of Japanese companies are just having a hard time with the new gaming landscape.

This why I never understand the reasoning when posters argue that the PS4 will revitalize console development in Japan. That market has shifted drastically and with the aging population and low birth rates, Japanese gaming is in big trouble in the coming decades.

It's sad to me since Japanese companies--Konami, Capcom, Nintendo, Square, Enix, Namco, were so formative to my early gaming years.

I still enjoy gaming, but it's just been sad to see the decline in output with the majority of these companies. SNES to PS2 was just an amazing era of output and creativity from Japan.

Ganondorfo

Metal Gear can still be good everyone, the storyline is already written, they can hire great japanese developers at Konami to make new epic Metal Gear games.

what if this turns out to be the ultimate kojima audience troll
MediaHandler.ashx

andymcc

Banned
It just seems a lot of Japanese companies are just having a hard time with the new gaming landscape.

This why I never understand the reasoning when posters argue that the PS4 will revitalize console development in Japan. That market has shifted drastically and with the aging population and low birth rates, Japanese gaming is in big trouble in the coming decades.

It's sad to me since Japanese companies--Konami, Capcom, Nintendo, Square, Enix, Namco, were so formative to my early gaming years.

I still enjoy gaming, but it's just been sad to see the decline in output with the majority of these companies. SNES to PS2 was just an amazing era of output and creativity from Japan.

Out of all of those listed that are third party, Namco has had quite a turnaround in the last few years. I'm sort of surprised actually.

Metal Gear can still be good everyone, the storyline is already written, they can hire great japanese developers at Konami to make new epic Metal Gear games.

why would you want that?

paxromana

Banned

I am actually worried about MGSV itself now.There is a large chunk of development left and you can't expect them to finish up the game well when the team will likely be in bad spirits.

Wait what? Didn't they say the game was finished, and that there's only polishing to do now?

Nzyme32

It really is his final Metal Gear. Damn.

Konami is basicly done.

Sure, Konami may not be done with it though assuming they keep the rights.

It wouldn't be completely unexpected to see some other reincarnation of the series as a new IP from Kojima in whatever studio or independent project he starts up later

He was really serious after all. Its his last Metal Gear game. Its crazy that their limiting him promoting his game and restricted access to internet, email and phone for all the senior staff.
The shit has really hit the fan with Konami.
All they got left is PES?

hodgy100

Konami just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase any new MGS games for either system, nor will they purchase any of Konami's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Konami has alienated an entire fanbase with this move.

Konami, publicly apologize and bring back Kojima or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Reule

I'm hoping Kojima and his team end up at Sony. How ridiculous is this? Silent Hills, man. Konami needs a reality check. I wonder what their stock looks like right now.

Mooreberg

It's been said a few times. Konami make most of their money with their Gyms and Gambling machines.
I know that, which is why I find this so strange. It is not as if the fate of the corporation were riding on MGSV or Silent Hills. He runs the only the part of the company that has any traction with gaming press, at least in the west.

Namco/Scamco/Bamco dissolved almost all of its legendary development teams and absorbed them internally into one giant Bamco studio, cut the budgets of the teams significantly, rushed games out, and filled every title with hundreds of dollars of whale-hunting DLC.

This has been financially succesful for them in the short term, but the overall consumer satisfaction (amazon ratings of their games; sales legs of their games; decreased sequel sales of their games) is going down in flames and sooner or later this strategy will bite them in the ass and you're going to see a major re-shuffle at the studio and expect even crazier things from them once that happens.
I guess I just don't play as many Namco games as I did a decade or more ago (this probably applies to every Japanese publisher). I was pleasantly surprised by how devoid of nonsense TTT2 was, considering how many hooks the customization items would have given them for microtransactions. The only affront was keeping classic soundtracks already on the disc behind a pay wall. For a Namco game in 2012, that was a pleasant surprise.

Even some of their mobile stuff like Tekken Card and Ridge Racer doesn't seem that bad. I guess the real whale harpooning mostly occurs with their products that are only popular in Japan. We'll see what happens with the console releases of Tekken 7.

It is amazing that with the number of times Kojima has talked about being "done" with Metal Gear, it will finally be happening. I'll be very interested to see what he does next. But unless they're going to refocus the franchise on action and hand it over to Platinum, whatever comes next is going to be a letdown. That Tameem image had me laughing and grimacing at the same time. :-\

mclem

So what is Konami, without Metal Gear? Most of their other franchises have been dormant for ages. Are we just looking at Pro Evo?

Clearly he was just so very disappointed that the management didn't allow Snake into Smash.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

it won't be a hideo kojima game anymore
it's like the last guardian without ueda, kojima is a true auteur and metal gear games are completely drived by his ambition, attention to detail and personal struggles and themes.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That is the problem that he's had though for years. He wanted to move on and make other things but Konami never gave him a chance. Things happen. I think his idea was if he could create the Fox engine and show his team how to create V with it he could finally let go of the series knowing his staff has the capabilities to do it. Konami has probably started getting anxious because of the time it takes to do this every new Metal Gear and wasnt willing to just keep flipping the bill.

There still has to be passion behind MGSV TTP. I can't see him being too afflicted by creating it. He just needs room. Here I thought Silent Hills + another IP would benefit him greatly.

BkMogul

No No No NO!

Shit, this is news that should be reserved for Mondays.

Now I'm a sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom