• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Kojima to leave Konami after MGSV, power struggle, communications embargo

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcz117chief

"It's all over...our nation will never be built."
lzULOQ.gif

Okay, so as far as I've been able to gather from news stories, I think it's pretty well established that he is leaving.

The question I have is WHY?

I know there have been reports of internal power struggles, but again, WHY? What are they fighting over? Sorry if it's been mentioned already, I didn't want to read through 24 pages.

I have to say I'm disappointed with Kojima's ambiguous tweets. I would have tweeted:
FOXDIE!!! #pentagonbastards

Elandyll

Banned
That's crazy ...

My hunch is that Konami may have tried to push KojiPro toward mobile dev and he told them to sit on a cactus?

Just a guess :)

f0lken

Terrible news with the silver lining that Kojima is an incredible talented man who will likely receive tons of offers, maybe even the full funding of the creation of a studio, I don't care if he goes exclusively with any of the big three (Sony would seem the most likely because of their good relations between them) I'd love him to do something new in which he could put all his passion behing.

He also could go sabatic and he would deserve it, the man has worked his ass hard and good.

In collateral damage, poor Guillermo Del Toro, can never have what he wants T_T

SeanNoonan

Personally I don't think this'll make a whole lot of difference. You're probably going to see more regular releases of games, with a minimal quality dip.

You might even get back David Hayter. Konami never had the Hollywood boner, that was Hideo.

Caesnd

It just seems a lot of Japanese companies are just having a hard time with the new gaming landscape.

This why I never understand the reasoning when posters argue that the PS4 will revitalize console development in Japan. That market has shifted drastically and with the aging population and low birth rates, Japanese gaming is in big trouble in the coming decades.

It's sad to me since Japanese companies--Konami, Capcom, Nintendo, Square, Enix, Namco, were so formative to my early gaming years.

I still enjoy gaming, but it's just been sad to see the decline in output with the majority of these companies. SNES to PS2 was just an amazing era of output and creativity from Japan.

The push for advancing technology in graphics is distinctively western in origin. Japanese game and entertainment philosophy in general does not hinge on making things realistic, relatable or familiar unlike its western counterparts. This goes for all aspects of game creation, but it's most apparent in the visual aspect, and it suffers the heaviest consequences.

Advances in technology allows for more life-like settings, but this is not something that Japanese artists have ever actively sought out on their own (just compare Japanese art to European art throughout centuries past). Since advancement in technology leads to more and more variables becoming necessary to create a competitive product in a global market, Japanese creators become bogged down with factors that goes against their cultural code of conduct.

Japanese artists are capable of approaching the tools developed in a unique way that I see no other culture being able of mimicking, but experimentation is seldom met with a reward high enough to justify many such ventures. That's why this happens I think.

GeNoMe

Silent Hills most likely dead if its true.

I am actually worried about MGSV itself now.There is a large chunk of development left and you can't expect them to finish up the game well when the team will likely be in bad spirits.

Holy shit this is terrible news on so many fronts.

Exactly what worries me as well.... I'm extremely unhappy about all of this.

Endo Punk

I hope that still means we get MGR2. I was done with Solid after MGS4 and although I will get PP I am glad Kojima will finally be able to move on. Hopefully creating an awesome new studio and make exciting new games and franchises. I doubt any publisher would say no to Kojima.

Randomizer

No, they are stripping his name from the box.
Honestly have to wonder who's mother Kojima fucked? to get such disrespectful treatment. After all his years of services and the millions he has brought in, this is how it ends? MGSV may be the last Konami game I buy outside Silent Hills and MGR2, if they are even still coming.

SinShep

Either way, All of those loyal to Kojima will probably be leaving with him so anything after this will just be in name. Support after the release of MGSV will be lackluster at best, MGO is what worries me the most. That whole LA team was brought on just to develop it.

How much would they actually be effected from this then? If it's just Kojima, they'll just be rebranded (which has already happened IIRC) and kept on track supporting MGO.

LogicStep

Welp, Konami just made a huge mistake.

Good luck to them when they leave. Hopefully this means we get so see new ideas and ip from Kojima.

Personally I don't think this'll make a whole lot of difference. You're probably going to see more regular releases of games, with a minimal quality dip.

You might even get back David Hayter. Konami never had the Hollywood boner, that was Hideo.

This is exactly what I was thinking, which is why I'm slowly coming to terms with the whole situation.

OG Loc

Do people really think Konami is in trouble? Konami is more than a game company and they'll be fine. Don't hold your breath waiting for them to die and their IPs to be picked over by your favorite vultures.

Cliffnotes: Please read ShockingAlberto's posts.

Noooo!!!! Silent hills was my most anticipated game..possibly ever. It seemed too good to be true, and pt was incredible. damn man, this hurts.

Foffy

Banned
The final pillar that Konami had is gone. I can't even name any major players with the company anymore.

It's amazing to see them just bleed their talent so fast. Last year was IGA, this year it's Kojima.

Timeaisis

Okay, so as far as I've been able to gather from news stories, I think it's pretty well established that he is leaving.

The question I have is WHY?

I know there have been reports of internal power struggles, but again, WHY? What are they fighting over? Sorry if it's been mentioned already, I didn't want to read through 24 pages.

I have to say I'm disappointed with Kojima's ambiguous tweets. I would have tweeted:

I can think of two possible reasons:
1. Kojima wanted to do something outside of the MGS series, but Konami wouldn't let him.
2. Konami wanted to shift focus to mobile, and Kojima was having none of that.

Basically, it's probably a Kojima decision. Konami wants to milk MGS further and Kojima likely felt like he was trapped, so he pushed back, and now Konami is officially giving him the axe.

Pachimari

Kojima, please land on your feet, you legend.

What I'm most sad about is Silent Hills not happening with Kojima. A longtime dream of mine.

Patryn

Okay, here is the 3Q FY 2015 statement from Konami.

http://www.konami.co.jp/zaimu/2015/0205/en_7kgy7a.pdf

tzf2sAq.png

There are explanations of these numbers below this in the PDF, but I'll summarize them real quick.

Basically, mobile games are making up the vast majority of Digital Entertainment sales. PES and Ground Zeroes are mentioned as "Hey, these are also doing well."

Konami isn't dying, they're reforming. But it's not as a video game company. They'll probably still release PES, but I imagine they're just going mobile primarily. They're also assuming expansion of Pachinko and Health & Fitness.

AAA Console games are more of a drag on potential profits than they are helping.

Quoting this as it's important for people to realize.

Konami wasn't a console gaming company that did mobile games and health stuff on the side.

It's a mobile gaming/health company that did console games on the side.

This isn't a mortal blow in the least.

Mortemis

Banned
Damn, Konami should be on suicide watch. Kinda puts all those jokes about Konami being a metal gear studio into perspective. There's like nothing left for them after Kojima leaves. Well at least in my sights, they'll probably live on as a mobile pub with PES every year.

This really is the last MG game, at for me. No way I'm touching the franchise after Kojima leaves, would never be right.

Blader

It's bizarre to me that they wouldn't have him promote the game? Why wouldn't they want to promote their own fucking product?

Mr. RHC

The man is finally free to do what he wants. Good news.

So much this. Whatever he and his team want to do next, I hope they will be successful. Konami management must have been a real pain as of late.

Cipher destroying MSF Mother Base=Konami cancelling Kojima Productions
Big Boss founding Diamond Dogs with Kaz=Kojima founding a new game studio with
Imaizumi=Kaz
Shinkawa=Ocelot
Murata=Gray Fox
LOL, this is exactly what is transpiring!

#AHideoKojimaGame

kojima2hssu8.gif

hao chi

FUCK. Kojima was finally developing something that had me excited with Silent Hills. I really hope that project isn't canned or ruined now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom