• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront: The Revolution review thread

OpenCritic : 50/100

MetaCritic : 55/100

Eurogamer (no score)
Homefront: The Revolution boasts solid gameplay and impressive level design, but tonally it's a disaster.
GamesRadar+ (60/100)
An interesting change of pace for a first person shooter that has some nice ideas and mechanics, but can’t quite get everything to sing.
IGN (50/100)
Though its world has some great aesthetic devices and a cool concept, ultimately all of Homefront: The Revolution’s elements feel repetitive, unpolished, or downright unnecessary. Over the length of its campaign it fails to deliver a satisfying - or even fully functional - shooter experience.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun (no score)
It’s got this weird bubbling heart underneath it, a clear desire to be a great game despite not being able to reach it. It’s packed, varied, and so bloody enormous. It’s a real muddle, and a muddle for which I’ve developed a real soft spot.
PlayStation Universe (55/100)
A valiant effort has been made to salvage this long troubled game from the doldrums, but despite some good ideas, solid combat, and neat concepts, Homefront: The Revolution suffers for its long gestation more than it benefits from it.
Polygon (60/100)
Homefront: The Revolution is doing little more than checking off boxes
The Jimquisition (10/100)
Simply put, Homefront: The Revolution is outclassed in its bracket by every other big-budget game released this generation. And that’s without getting into how shockingly shit the PC version is.

This game made me feel unwell, it bored me to tears, and it irritated the piss out of me.
WCCFtech (56/100)
Homefront: The Revolution is a disappointment no matter how you slice it. Maybe Deep Silver Dambuster can improve it over time and when that happens, the game could be worth a purchase in a sale; as it is, though, it simply cannot be recommended with many better options available for gamers.
VideoGamer (60/100)
Not the disaster many had anticipated, but also fundamentally flawed.
GameWatcher (65/100)
Despite the shoddy graphics and performance, and a story that could use polish in its execution, Homefront: The Revolution has a solid foundation. It’s challenging and the mission variety in a pseudo open-world game is the best I’ve played in a while. It kept me engaged for its 22 hours. At the end, I felt satisfied. I hope to see another one with a bigger budget behind it.
Hardcore Gamer (40/100)
While Homefront: The Revolution had potential to be great, its mediocre gameplay, lackluster story and myriad of technical issues make it one of the biggest disappointments of the generation.
We Got This Covered (40/100)
Homefront: The Revolution has plenty of potential with its unique setting and premise, but its completely let down by dated design, unengaging combat, a boring story, and performance problems to boot.
Saving Content (60/100)
While I realize that Homefront: The Revolution has many shortcomings, none of them break the game. It is enjoyable to play and offers a unique take on open-world, survival, and weapon modification that allows you to play the game how you want.

Pretty much what I expected. I don't really recall seeing any positive buzz pre-release and Deep Silver has pretty much sent it out to die a quick death without so much as a whisper that it exists.

gossi

Pretty much what I expected. I don't really recall seeing any positive buzz pre-release and Deep Silver has pretty much sent it out with a whisper to die a quick death.

In fairness, it had a lot of publicity in the UK. There's a billboard by my apartment, TV adverts and I saw a cinema ad.

Xater

Well I have said it is bad ever since I played it at Gamescom. That it turned out even worse because it apparently is even a technical mess is impressive.

I enjoyed the first game but...
giphy.gif

Shin-chan

I have no idea why anyone saw any value in this IP. It helped sink THQ and now it'll do the same here.

It just looks like a relic of all of the modern military shooter bonanza that happened last gen and I could not understand how it would appeal to anyone. And now it turns out that, predictably, the game sucks as well.

Is it Crytek that developed it? If so they need to make a new IP and think about what made Crysis 1 so engaging.

Edit: ah, Crytek UK. Not quite the same then.

Haven't followed this game much. What is it the usual anti-Russian/Chinese stereotypes?

haven't read the article, but the game is about North Korea's military occupying the US.

edit: after reading it, the issues seems to be about how the resistance constantly refers to the NK occupiers as "Norks" and express great disdain for them.
it makes sense in context seeing as how they're supposed to be freedom fighters trying to overthrow the NK troops.

Alexious

How are you allowed to post obvious advertisements such as this of your YouTube channel?

Seeing as this is a review thread of a game yet to be released, I'm guessing people want to see exactly why it got such bad scores with their eyes. Nothing more than that, really, though of course if mods are not happy with it I'll remove it at once.

In fairness, it had a lot of publicity in the UK. There's a billboard by my apartment, TV adverts and I saw a cinema ad.

Interesting. Can't say I've really seen much of anything here in the US. Last I remember hearing anything about it was people saying how awful the beta was.

How are you allowed to post obvious advertisements such as this of your YouTube channel?

As far as I know there really isn't anything against this? He's being pretty transparent about it and it's not like he made a thread to advertise his channel or anything. I think it's pretty common for people to post links to their reviews that they did for smaller/lesser known sites in the review thread.

Alienfan

Wow, Eurogamer call out all the racism. And rightly so.

Not really? If anything it's a realistic representation - the racial slurs are directed towards the invading country... historically at times of war people haven't exactly shown political correctness towards the opposing force

prudislav

The idea of urban Far Cry honestly really interests me and from the reviews there seems to be semi-decent game under the technical mess...
... might definitely try it one day on sale if they will try to fix the performance

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That crassness is especially apparent once we're introduced to the concept of collaborators, or 'clabs' - those citizens who cooperate with the KPA in exchange for a better quality of life. Once you get the rebellion going in the yellow zone in which they live, you're treated to a cutscene in which one of these (unarmed) collaborators is triumphantly thrown to the ground and beaten. You can also pick up a side mission that asks you to covertly photograph collaborators so that they can be identified and whacked by the resistance.

These moments, effectively, incentivise the murder of civilians over a matter of ideological difference; i.e. these people haven't joined the ranks of the resistance, thus deserve to die. The resistance, as a result, comes across as mean spirited - these people aren't fighting with a pure (or even passing) love of freedom in their hearts, they're just spiteful. Even with Burnett shouting ineffectively about the human cost of insurrection, Homefront: The Revolution is one long, chest-thumping revenge fantasy. Its ugliness is frequently pushed too far.

Wow. Wow.

Top Bottom