• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront: The Revolution review thread

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This is the one title I'm actually disappointed in. You had to know it would end like this but you just held out hope.

Matt

No, but the game design should reflect that. Note how Spec Ops has you playing as "the bad guy" but the game design which initially starts as quite satisfying works in tandem with the story to reveal the depravity. and you can be utterly evil in games like The Sims or Black and White - but the tone and presentation of these titles makes being evil campy and fun.

there are certain acts which people find uncomfortable to replicate, even in videogames, and some perspectives that are unimaginable to interface with, such as racism or rape. For example, I doubt many would be interested in a game where you played as a white male and the game design specifically encouraged you to target and brutalise racial minorities and then rewards you for it because it would be unpleasant to interface with, and it would make you question both the developers' intentions and the viewpoints of the people who would enjoy such a product.

Likewise, glamorising or glorifying racism in a game that specifically empowers the player and is marketed like your typical dude bro power fantasy shooter is irresponsible.

Read Eurogamer's review
Collaborators with invaders have always been targeted by resistance groups. I'm a little lost as to what is different about this situation.

Same thing with the nickname for the North Koreans. That often happens in war, like "Jerrys" for Germans.

If you think you've had a bad year, I'm pretty sure it will be better than Deep Silver's 2016. This is a troubled lineup:
-Homefront: The Revolution
-Mighty Number 9
-Dead Island 2
-APB Re-release

Well, there's zero chance that Dead Island 2 will be out this year. Although they have the Dead Island Collection coming in its stead.

Just because it is an uncomfortable subject doesn't mean it is a bad thing and something it should be criticised for. I haven't played it so I don't know the tone of the game, I don't know if it is supposed to be some kind of statement towards something.

I think we will have to agree to disagree.

Collaborators with invaders have always been targeted by resistance groups. I'm a little lost as to what is different about this situation.

Same thing with the nickname for the North Koreans. That often happens in war, like "Gerrys" for Germans.
I haven't played this game either so I was not commenting specifically on this game in that write up, so apologies if that wasn't clear. I was more referring to the issue of sensitive topics in general.

Penox

From Videogamer's review

I played Homefront: The Revolution on PC, and apart from a few bugs and some unwanted pausing after saving or completing objectives the game generally ran well (i5, GTX 980 combo). The PlayStation 4 version is a completely different story: while it retains the look and feel of the PC build, it runs terribly, so much so that it is one of the worst-performing games I've ever played on the machine. Much of Homefront takes place outdoors, and the PS4 version simply doesn't cope with it: an early-game raid on a house, which sees the player slip past enemies and into the street, slowed to a crawl in our playthrough, and likewise other exterior gameplay was little better. Texture quality is also worse, but the frame rate is the real killer, so much so that I would struggle to recommend the game to anyone at all (and that is with the day one patch installed). As for the Xbox One version: we haven't played it yet, so tread carefully. If you've got a PC, get it on PC.

I haven't played this game either so I was not commenting specifically on this game in that write up, so apologies if that wasn't clear. I was more referring to the issue of sensitive topics in general.

I guess it is down to an individuals disposition, I for one appreciate difficult subjects being tackled in games, even if clumsily done.

Alienfan

Same thing with the nickname for the North Koreans. That often happens in war, like "Jerrys" for Germans.

This. It seems odd that Eurogamer and posters in this thread actually expect the invaded country to respect the invaders. Do people really expect political correctness during times of war? I'm not sure how people think this game is raciest given the context

Teeth

No, but the game design should reflect that. Note how Spec Ops has you playing as "the bad guy" but the game design which initially starts as quite satisfying works in tandem with the story to reveal the depravity. and you can be utterly evil in games like The Sims or Black and White - but the tone and presentation of these titles makes being evil campy and fun.

there are certain acts which people find uncomfortable to replicate, even in videogames, and some perspectives that are unimaginable to interface with, such as racism or rape. For example, I doubt many would be interested in a game where you played as a white male and the game design specifically encouraged you to target and brutalise racial minorities and then rewards you for it because it would be unpleasant to interface with, and it would make you question both the developers' intentions and the viewpoints of the people who would enjoy such a product.

Likewise, glamorising or glorifying racism in a game that specifically empowers the player and is marketed like your typical dude bro power fantasy shooter is irresponsible.

Read Eurogamer's review

Context is key here. In every war and and every war account, there have been names/slurs/shorthand that has come about either officially or through soldiers themselves. "Charlies", "skinnies", I'm sure soldiers had/have all kinds of wonderful names for Iraq and Afghan enemy combatants. Calling it a racial slur totally ignores the conceit of the narrative: it's one country invading another.

If you witnessed a report from Iraq in which the locals used some made up shorthand for Americans (that, on its face, invaded and killed thousands of their brethren), would you call those Iraqi people a bunch of racists?

If Homefront's conceit was that Canada (lol) invaded the US and all of the rebellion called the Canadian soldiers "Cads" (OH LORD THE DOUBLE MEANING), would you say it wasn't bigotry because Canada is a country, not an ethnicity?

I haven't played the new Homefront, but it baffles me a bit that people would look at the characters using soldier-like language in a soldier-like situation and calling it racism. If the game was set in GTA6 and they were just walking down the street calling Asian people "norks", hell yes that would be racist, but in this context....ehhhhh. I also find it weird that people who would champion the rage of the oppressed wouldn't see the same thing happening here. Since everyone is shitty, the whole idea of war turning people ugly clearly seems to be a theme. Eurogamer finds them irredeemable; that's kind of what happens.

Of course you could argue that it's a created work of fiction, so the writers and designers could have chosen to just use different words (the "it has dragons, therefore anything goes" argument), which is fine. But if they are going for this "ugliness of war" aesthetic, what with the killing sympathizers, no-hope gloominess, surrounded by dreary muzzers, it's seems they were really trying to drive home some sort of point here.

SJRB

Gold Member
From the video.
9ge4fne.png

Ironically the street textures in that part looked freaking amazing.

Corpekata

Banned
Call me a cynic but I don't think the game letting you control robots and preorder skins for your kickass dirtbike is going for an "ugliness of war" thematic approach.

kiguel182

Given that in the game the USA has been invaded by North Korea, I find all these allegations regarding the games supposed racism, absurd - of course the characters are going to be racist towards those oppressing them

Yeah, seems like a pretty realistic behavior. The invaded country would hardly be super understanding of the situation and try to be respectful to the invaders...

Corpekata

Banned
Were British soldiers in WWII racist for calling Germans Jerrys?

Hey, it's the return of the "no, I didn't say that" response.

Because I didn't. Not sure why disagreeing that the game is going for deep themes means I think everyone's a bunch of racists.

Card Boy

Banned
First AAA bomba of 2016?

Called it. I don't have to play it but the game is the equivelent of trying to make a sequel to Lair, Haze or Too Human. Like why would when the original game was so mediocre and bombed?

Hope Deep Silver got this for a $1 in a Bart Simpson type warehouse auction.

Teeth

No, and I didn't say that.

I don't think Micheal Bay is an overt racist but he still made a movie with Skids and Mudflap.

Do you think that members of a country using a brand new made up word to refer to the people from the country that has invaded, subjugated, and oppressed them make them a bunch of racists?

Because I didn't. Not sure why disagreeing that the game is going for deep themes means I think everyone's a bunch of racists.

So, what are you saying?

That if you look at some gameplay elements being somewhat tonally different from a bunch of storyline elements making those themes null? Does making an oppressive atmosphere nullify fun gameplay the same way fun gameplay nullifies an oppressive atmosphere?

And fuck pre-order bonuses; just because some suit in a boardroom scrambles to create promotional items to push point of sale marketing doesn't break the conceit of the people actually making the game.

Jintor

Am I missing something?

That seems like how people would deal with individuals who sold them out. It isn't nice but it seems pretty likely.

Characters committing reprehensible acts doesn't make for a reprehensible game. It could actually be interesting if it's done well enough. That there is, like is often the case, no side that is entirely virtuous in a war.

it doesn't read like it comes across as thinking that far ahead. but i kinda don't want to bother playing the game to find out.

Rembrandt

Banned
not surprised by the reviews. i kept saying in the beta thread that it surprisingly grew on me by the end of the beta. gonna be really hit or miss for people.

Com_Raven

Called it. I don't have to play it but the game is the equivelent of trying to make a sequel to Lair, Haze or Too Human. Like why would when the original game was so mediocre and bombed?

Hope Deep Silver got this for a $1 in a Bart Simpson type warehouse auction.

See, this is where you are wrong though: The first Homefront did not bomb. It just didn't sell enough to save THQ, but did very respectably for a new IP.

Matt

Ok, that's fine. I don't mean to put words in your mouth.

But if you don't see a problem with my example, what's wrong with what Homefront does? If you think there is anything wrong.

Gurish

Damnit this is cruel, reviews are just brutal this gen, 50 used to be an almost broken game and this game still seems functional.

it's probably their last game, I still don't get what they were thinking developing this sequel.

Ehh. I'm still sort of interested in this just because it's developed by the remains of Free Radical, plus open-world FPS is something I'm always interested in. Shame about the performance on PS4.

Maybe for a bargain bin price down the line.

Matt

『Inaba Resident』;203884539 said:
Can't say I'm surprised. The original did terrible so I'm not sure how this sequel even started development. Don't know who saw any kind of value in this IP
The original actuality didn't do terrible. It could just never do what THQ needed it to.

I think where this game goes so tonally wrong in its "norks" pejorative is that the chances of North Korea actually invading the US are less than that of space aliens doing it. So it feels like they have invented this scenario simply to justify the hate.

Matt

I think where this game goes so tonally wrong in its "norks" pejorative is that the chances of North Korea actually invading the US are less than that of space aliens doing it. So it feels like they have invented this scenario simply to justify the hate.
Any situation involving the modern US being invaded is crazy, so I don't really think that's the problem.

I haven't played the game so I could be missing something, but I can't think of how having a shorthand term for the troops of another nation in such a situation is racist.

Teeth

The concept likely went like this;
1) We want to make a shooter about USA being invaded by another country
2) Can't do Russia/USSR anymore because they buy games
3) Middle East countries are too sensitive of material right now
3) North Korea hate USA right now and don't buy American video games
4) North Korea it is

le.phat

It's so frustrating to see the self-castration that these studios all self inflict; Making samey games because only the tried and true seem to get a fair chance, whereas the tried and true isa fucking oversaturated red ocean of 'been there done that'.

Dark Souls proved without reasonable doubt that creativity and AAA gaming can exsist, but it will take nurturing and a keen eye for your community; Demon souls found a niche group of players that created a strong community. By creating FOR this community ( and not your average focus group persona's ) the games could play off its strengths, while the community kept growing on sheer word-of-mouth. Fast forward 6 years and we have FROM having its most successful AAA franchise in its history, carefully groomed to the size we see in this month's NPD.

Yet here we are, watching all these publishers / developers tripping over one another to make the exact same shit we've been playing all year. This game will be a financial disaster and possibly the end of this studio and honestly, and i don't give a flying fuck. Cull the meek, i say. The talented people will land on their feet, and the assholes who conceptualise and green-light games like this will have another flop on their resume. To these people i say:

Stop making fucking games for the masses. Make games for the hardcore. We appreciate creativity, we recognise brilliance, and we will give you the best marketing you can possibly hope for!

The concept likely went like this;
1) We want to make a shooter about USA being invaded by another country
2) Can't do Russia/USSR anymore because they buy games
3) Middle East countries are too sensitive of material right now
3) North Korea hate USA right now and don't buy American video games
4) North Korea it is

Yes, they aren't buying too many videogames in North Korea, that's for sure.
It's pretty obvious that they picked NK as a feeble proxy for China. I mean, the game has them selling the US loads of trojan horse electronics.

Com_Raven

Stop making fucking games for the masses. Make games for the hardcore. We appreciate creativity, we recognise brilliance, and we will give you the best marketing you can possibly hope for!

Great, I was worried that we are already three pages into this thread, and no one had yet mentioned how great Dark Souls is.

However, you can't establish a paradigm from one game/ example. Just because Dark Souls became a hit by focusing on a hardcore niche doesn't mean that it works for all games, especially in a genre like FPS that is dominated by huge production values.

Matt

You just described the death of the modern videogame industry.

Gurish

Wow. Wow.

Again, why wouldn't a resistance group beat up collaborators? It make sense that they wouldn't allow citizens to help the evil oppressor, those collaborators sold their country, the other citizens and probably are a threat to the resistance as well, all of that for their own good.

It's not pretty but it's pretty realistic and understandable, Eurogamer are very nit picky here, there are enough reasons to bash the game other than this nonsense.

system11

Any situation involving the modern US being invaded is crazy, so I don't really think that's the problem.

Indeed, Freedom Fighters took that scenario regardless of how unlikely and ran with it - and it was a brilliant game. Atmospheric and believable.

I'm willing to give Homefront a shot if they fix the console performance which is apparently shocking right now. I doubt it will spin the theme as well as FF did though.

Rembrandt

Banned
Again, why wouldn't a resistance group beat up collaborators? It make sense that they wouldn't allow citizens to help the evil oppressor, those collaborators sold their country, the other citizens and probably are a threat to the resistance as well, all of that for their own good.

It's not pretty but it's pretty realistic and understandable, Eurogamer are very nit picky here, there are enough reasons to bash the game other than this nonsense.

criticisms like these are one of the many things holding video games back from being as appreciated and subject to actual intensive theory/review like movies/art/books

Not really? If anything it's a realistic representation - the racial slurs are directed towards the invading country... historically at times of war people haven't exactly shown political correctness towards the opposing force
It's as bad as when some US soldiers would call Middle East terrorist "towelheads". It wasn't cool back then and it's not cool now.

GHG

Gold Member
Damn it. Wanted this to be good. The premise seemed alright from the previews. Thought it was going to be the sleeper hit of the year, not a straight up flop.

Top Bottom