• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront: The Revolution review thread

Nuke Soda

I am amazed this is even getting a 55 on metacritic, the footage Jim Sterling showed was broke to the point I am surprised you can even beat the first mission.

YouTube.

I am patting myself in the back for taking this game out of my Gamefly queue now I get to enjoy Valkyria Chronicles until Mirrors Edge.

Com_Raven

To be fair, it's been through three development studios.

Game has a great idea, just needs to be executed better.

It was always the same lead developer- the name and corporate owner of the studio changed once (from Crytek to Deep Silver). Sad about the low reviews, they are great people.

Why would they? Those are typically designed around games where codes aren't out until the day of release, which isn't the case here.
Not really. Battleborn was available on May 3 and IGN reviewed it that week, with the first "review in progress" score coming on May 2.

I am amazed this is even getting a 55 on metacritic, the footage Jim Sterling showed was broke to the point I am surprised you can even beat the first mission.

YouTube.

From the video.
9ge4fne.png

El_Chino

It was always the same lead developer- the name and corporate owner of the studio changed once (from Crytek to Deep Silver). Sad about the low reviews, they are great people.
So no staff turnover?

I hope they're able to at least patch the technical issues.

Trace

Banned
Not surprising to me at all. From what I played it was absolute dogshit, all the worst parts of derivative modern FPS gameplay and none of the good.

idonteven

saw the game wasnt that good when they paid a bunch of streamers to come and play it

kinda sad...high chance some people are gonna lose their job now

Trojan

If you think you've had a bad year, I'm pretty sure it will be better than Deep Silver's 2016. This is a troubled lineup:
-Homefront: The Revolution
-Mighty Number 9
-Dead Island 2
-APB Re-release

Cappa

Banned
Not really. Battleborn was available on May 3 and IGN reviewed it that week, with the first "review in progress" score coming on May 2.
Huh.... Review in progress is generally for multiplayer focused games i.e battle born. Home front is generally a single player experience.

oti

Banned
22h? That pushes it out of the "it's just 6h and it's steam sale AND WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE... bought it" territory.

danowat

Banned
Has it improved in anyway over the Beta?

The beta was AWFUL, and I am sure the development team got wind of the feedback on just how awful it was, but they went ahead and released it anyway?

Shameful really.

At the very least, you know there's a bunch of people at the studio who are glad that the product of almost five years of work is finally out the door.

Now make a fucking Timesplitters.

Has it improved in anyway over the Beta?

The beta was AWFUL, and I am sure the development team got wind of the feedback on just how awful it was, but they went ahead and released it anyway?

Shameful really.
Unlikely devs and more likely pub. Sometimes you have to just let things go.

Plasma

Banned
If you think you've had a bad year, I'm pretty sure it will be better than Deep Silver's 2016. This is a troubled lineup:
-Homefront: The Revolution
-Mighty Number 9
-Dead Island 2
-APB Re-release
They really need Saints Row to be done soon.

danowat

Banned
Unlikely devs and more likely pub. Sometimes you have to just let things go.

I guess if the game is in such a state that it would take too many hours to make something passable out of it, then yeah, but it's commercial suicide.

Pub or not, it will tar the devs regardless of who's choice it was to push it out the door.

scitek

At the very least, you know there's a bunch of people at the studio who are glad that the product of almost five years of work is finally out the door.

Now make a fucking Timesplitters.

Their last two original titles were this and Haze. You really want them to make a Timesplitters?

daninthemix

This line from Jim's review puzzles me a little: "From what I was able to withstand, The Revolution offers nothing literally any other open-world FPS can’t."

- because there aren't many open-world FPS games! And it's a genre I really would like to see more of.

In fact besides Far Cry what other open world FPS games are there?

Alienfan

There's a difference between "playing as the bad guy" and "playing a racist fuck that the game tries to make feel empowering and justified"

Given that in the game the USA has been invaded by North Korea, I find all these allegations regarding the games supposed racism, absurd - of course the characters are going to be racist towards those oppressing them

So, a thoroughly mediocre game with performance issues to boot.

I guess Doom will be my next shooter then.

Releasing this in the same month as Uncharted 4, Doom and Overwatch seems like a terrible idea. They'd have been better delaying until June or July when things are a bit quieter, and it would give them more time to iron out the rough edges.

I don't see the difference. So you can be bad but not too bad?
No, but the game design should reflect that. Note how Spec Ops has you playing as "the bad guy" but the game design which initially starts as quite satisfying works in tandem with the story to reveal the depravity. and you can be utterly evil in games like The Sims or Black and White - but the tone and presentation of these titles makes being evil campy and fun.

there are certain acts which people find uncomfortable to replicate, even in videogames, and some perspectives that are unimaginable to interface with, such as racism or rape. For example, I doubt many would be interested in a game where you played as a white male and the game design specifically encouraged you to target and brutalise racial minorities and then rewards you for it because it would be unpleasant to interface with, and it would make you question both the developers' intentions and the viewpoints of the people who would enjoy such a product.

Likewise, glamorising or glorifying racism in a game that specifically empowers the player and is marketed like your typical dude bro power fantasy shooter is irresponsible.
Read Eurogamer's review

prudislav

Wow. Wow.
Well you have to deal with the traitors, they were dealt with in every war, on all sides, so there is some realism here.
It does sound a lot like what actually happened in some of the bigger wars throughout history.
(Side A occupy a town and then side B takes it and anyone who was working with Side A is then dealt with if discovered to put it bluntly.)

AndyVirus

I know nobody who was excited or expecting things from this game..except Colin Moriarty. Wondered for months if he was seeing something behind closed doors that I hadn't. Guess not?

Alienous

Wow. Wow.

Am I missing something?

That seems like how people would deal with individuals who sold them out. It isn't nice but it seems pretty likely.

Characters committing reprehensible acts doesn't make for a reprehensible game. It could actually be interesting if it's done well enough. That there is, like is often the case, no side that is entirely virtuous in a war.

No, but the game design should reflect that. Note how Spec Ops has you playing as "the bad guy" but the game design which initially starts as quite satisfying works in tandem with the story to reveal the depravity. and you can be utterly evil in games like The Sims or Black and White - but the tone and presentation of these titles makes being evil campy and fun.

there are certain acts which people find uncomfortable to replicate, even in videogames, and some perspectives that are unimaginable to interface with, such as racism or rape. For example, I doubt many would be interested in a game where you played as a white male and the game design specifically encouraged you to target and brutalise racial minorities and then rewards you for it because it would be unpleasant to interface with, and it would make you question both the developers' intentions and the viewpoints of the people who would enjoy such a product.

Likewise, glamorising or glorifying racism in a game that specifically empowers the player and is marketed like your typical dude bro power fantasy shooter is irresponsible.

Just because it is an uncomfortable subject doesn't mean it is a bad thing and something it should be criticised for. I haven't played it so I don't know the tone of the game, I don't know if it is supposed to be some kind of statement towards something.

I think we will have to agree to disagree.

Top Bottom