• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Early Impressions/Reviews-in-progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

is the general sentiment now that the game is not worth $60? that is absolute nonsense

The game has a 7/10 average based on 10 reviews. A giant thread on GAF that is mostly positive(the OT), with another giant thread that mostly negative(this one). Some on both sides are trying really really hard to push a definitive narrative when there isn't one. It's divisive, about as divisive as you can get with opinions running the gamut from "dream game" to "most disappointing" of the generation. There's is no "right take".

Personally I don't reget my purchase in the least and the find the prospect of what this game can grow into over the coming weeks-months-years super exciting.

Hazanko

Banned
I don't mind crafting and I like exploration but like most have said, it's very basic. Most worlds have the same things, outposts, alien tech and some factories. There isn't much else to be honest, which is why people are getting bored. There are many things that could've made it more varied; boss like creatures, base building, vehicle bulding, more puzzles, alien villages/cities. It's a small team though and I don't expect miracles but it is too basic for full price.

Timeaisis

This is what I've been predicting since it first was announced and I've been consistently mocked for it.

That said I still think it has some interesting aspects and I'm looking forward to trying it after a price cut.

Same here. I expressed my concern day one and was called out quite a bit. Sucks that it turned out this way, but at least can feel vindicated. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Seiniyta

The game has a 7/10 average based on 10 reviews. A giant thread on GAF that is mostly positive(the OT), with another giant thread that mostly negative(this one). Some on both sides are trying really really hard to push a definitive narrative when there isn't one. It's divisive, about as divisive as you can get with opinions running the gamut from "dream game" to "most disappointing" of the generation. There's is no "right take".

Personally I don't reget my purchase in the least and the find the prospect of what this game can grow into over the coming weeks-months-years super exciting.

Pretty much.

Though can we all agree that Sean Murray is the vaguest person in the universe?

https://fat.gfycat.com/YawningVigorousGangesdolphin.webm

WTF 4/5?!!

24MqF5l.png

Servbot24

Banned
There's a big difference between Murray and Molyneux.

Molyneux: "Check out my game! You can do anything!"
Fans: "Wow!"

Murray: "Check out my game!"
Fans: "You can do anything!"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think I'll put up the new thread at the end of the afternoon on Friday.

Not a lot of sites work on weekends, so I assume if they're going to have their review out before next week, it will be by then.

I can't imagine a lot of sites feel the need to review the game for more than 50 hours either.

Tovarisc

I think I'll put up the new thread at the end of the afternoon on Friday.

Not a lot of sites work on weekends, so I assume if they're going to have their review out before next week, it will be by then.

I can't imagine a lot of sites feel the need to review the game for more than 50 hours either.

Some sites may want put some hours into PC version for quick comparison.

I mean, let's not pretend Murray hasn't been at least a little Molyneux-esque. He pretty much explicitly stated that you'd be able to see another player on the slim chance you ran into one.

OmegaX06

No publications have posted review scores yet? Were they told not to post them until the PC version is launched or something?

Edit: Nevermind. I guess the OP hasn't been updated. Cool.

pots555

I am actually quite surprised it's reviewing so low. It's different and it was backed by Sony so much. I thought an 85 meta would be a given.

Alpende

Seeing those desolate and non-interesting planets in that Dunkey video I'm just glad I didn't get this on day one. Might get it for a tenner.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I am actually quite surprised it's reviewing so low. It's different and it was backed by Sony so much. I thought an 85 meta would be a given.

I thought an 80 was baked in due to it being different and interesting.

There's really no better way to say it than haters gonna hate. Hyperbolic statements are to be expected, but to compare this games promises/shortcomings to what happened with Spore is plain ridiculous.

It feels like nobody ever played a procedurally generated game (most complaining probably didn't). It buries everything that came before it and then builds a temple of brilliance on top where it sits comfortably as by far the most impressive product having made use of this process to date. Do I like that some things that have been said over the years turned out to not make it into the game? No. But is it on the level of Black & White's failure to make good on promises or Spore's? No, not even close, those games fell flat on their faces, NMS delivers on soooo many more hyperbolic seeming statements than it doesn't it's not even close to fair how vicious some people comment on this.

Hyperbolic statements are to be expected, but to compare this games promises/shortcomings to what happened with Spore is plain ridiculous.

It buries everything that came before it and then builds a temple of brilliance on top where it sits comfortably as by far the most impressive product having made use of this process to date.

Mmmhmm

Irminsul

So, is the game bad? Or does the game just fail to meet the impossible hype set by others?

I usually don't do that, but on this, I just want to quote myself. Because "by others" probably means "the developers of the game":

[It] was pegged as a game with real physics:

“With us,” Murray continued, “when you're on a planet, you can see as far as the curvature of that planet. If you walked for years, you could walk all the way around it, arriving back exactly where you started. Our day to night cycle is happening because the planet is rotating on its axis as it spins around the sun. There is real physics to that.

Oh, I wonder where that AI stuff went:

The creatures are generated through the procedural distortion of archetypes, and each given their own unique behavioral profiles. “There is a list of objects that animals are aware of,” Artificial Intelligence programmer Charlie Tangora explained. “Certain animals have an affinity for some objects over others which is part of giving them personality and individual style. They have friends and best friends too. It's just a label on a bit of code—but another creature of the same type nearby is potentially their friend. They ask their friends telepathically where they’re going so they can coordinate.”

While the basic behaviors themselves are simple, the interactions can be impressively complex. Artistic director Grant Duncan recalled roaming an alien planet once shooting at birds out of boredom. “I hit one and it fell into the ocean,” he recalled. “It was floating there on the waves when suddenly, a shark came up and ate it. The first time it happened, it totally blew me away.”

Man, that article is great:

For instance, Duncan insisted on permitting moons to orbit closer to their planets than Newtonian physics would allow. When he desired the possibility of green skies, the team had to redesign the periodic table to create atmospheric particles that would diffract light at just the right wavelength.

And it definitely never was pegged as a simulation:

“Because it’s a simulation,” Murray stated. “there’s so much you can do. You can break the speed of light—no problem. Speed is just a number. Gravity and its effects are just numbers. It’s our universe, so we get to be Gods in a sense.”

Source: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/02/artificial-universe-no-mans-sky/463308/

Bonus:

"With our game though, you give someone a controller, they land on a planet, they see an alien creature, and if it’s their first time playing, they will probably shoot it even though they have just gone through a journey to get there. What I really like though, is that nine times out of ten, people suddenly feel bad that they’ve done it. You don’t get points for killing. There are no gold coins. You chose to do that.”

So, is the game bad? Or does the game just fail to meet the impossible hype set by others?

I would say much more the latter. If you're looking for a exploration game set against the backdrop of an expansive universe with basic world building and light survival elements it's pretty engrossing. Although it's mechanics are the most polished it's easy to get lost in.

There's a big difference between Murray and Molyneux.

Molyneux: "Check out my game! You can do anything!"

Murray: "Check out my game!"
Fans: "You can do anything!"

Hahaha awesome

I don't have the game because I was pretty sure it'd be disappointing many.

For me what kills it is the whole survival aspect because, to me, all that freaking mining and inventory management just to be able to do the most basic of things is just unnerving and the least "chill" game experience you could throw at me.

I'd rather preferred they had gone more strategy/Sim City in space kind of route or a more arcadey "pick up and play" exploration action game.

And, DEFINITELY, this needed a multi-player component. Make a colony in space with your friends, create a base, hire others, bounty hunters, fight against other colonies!!!

You'll say "that was not the vision for nms ". Ok but at least it would be fun.

Odrion

Banned
it turns out that no, you can't make a deep game that's the size of the universe with good production value with only eleven people

ive played a few hours and i think the game is ok. there are some really cool moments and finding/naming new planets is entertaining but the game basically boils down to a modern day collect-a-thon. people ask what you do in the game.... well, you collect a bunch of shit that will help you get to the center of the galaxy and end the game.

i think it is worth $60 if you love sci-fi/space exploration. but if you dont like things like "hey go collect 200 iron, 300 plutonium, 250 zinc in order to build this piece you need for your spaceship so you an get to where you're going. oh and if you want this upgrade on your suit also go collect 350 of this, 200 of that" etc. then i don't think this game is for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom