• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Early Impressions/Reviews-in-progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so mad that this game turned out to be a dud. I really was looking forward to playing it this weekend. Going to hold that money for deus ex now.

The game will probably be $30-$40 by end of year with the bad press its getting anyway, maybe they will do updates to add more shit to do.

krioto

I'm so mad that this game turned out to be a dud. I really was looking forward to playing it this weekend. Going to hold that money for deus ex now.

The game will probably be $30-$40 by end of year with the bad press its getting anyway, maybe they will do updates to add more shit to do.

the game is most definitely not a dud - go to the actual OT for some impressions from those of us actually playing it

So, is the game bad? Or does the game just fail to meet the impossible hype set by others?

The impression I'm getting is that this is the most Marmite game since DoAX 3: you're either totally sold on what it actually is, in which case you already have it and enjoying it, or you're not going to like it at all. If you have to ask, you won't like it, move on.

Certainly, it's easily the worst example of a developer overpromising and under delivering since Godus. I think the Spore comparison is valid.

Kermy

I'm in the same boat. Though I don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be, I don't feel like dropping $60 for the game now but rather wait for the eventual price drop and probable updates.

Alebrije

Has anyone found this guy

no_man_s_sky_killmepls_by_digi_matrix-d9zq2dp.gif

I gotta ask, does entering a planet's atmosphere still look as impressive as it did in the reveal trailer?

https://youtu.be/nLtmEjqzg7M?t=2m15s

Hell, the planet itself looks super impressive from space. Does the final game still look like this? thanks

More or less. Entry through the atmosphere is much longer/slower due to resistance and heat. It basically looks like that from space and I'd say the popin approaching the ground is worse. Probably compromised for performance

Aters

TBH, I never unsterstand the hype around this game. I agree that devs didn't lie about the game. It looks just as boring as it looked a year ago.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

I love the game.

It's not perfect but I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

brau

Has anyone found this guy

no_man_s_sky_killmepls_by_digi_matrix-d9zq2dp.gif

at leas this game has given us some of the most hideous looking things i have ever seen in games. hahahahhaa

wth is that? its like a tumor that came to live and it got a tumor right away.

We need that "Fugly creatures you found on NMS" the thread.

Randomizer

I knew this game wasn't for me the moment it was announced. The lack of gameplay and of things to do was so apparent from the very beginning.

qcf x2

The irony of this post coming from the secretary of defense for SFV.

mr.beers

I gotta ask, does entering a planet's atmosphere still look as impressive as it did in the reveal trailer?

https://youtu.be/nLtmEjqzg7M?t=2m15s

Hell, the planet itself looks super impressive from space. Does the final game still look like this?

Still impressive but there is some draw in on geometry. I haven't been able to see animals from flight over the planet, not sure if that's design choice or the animals are too small to see from that height.

Ferrio

Banned
Watching Angry Joe playing it on Twitch now. He literally said he hates the game.

Well he was also bitching about space pirates not taking his inventory after he died, which much be the stupidest complaint I've heard of this game so far.

When you're upset about a feature that's not been in any noteable game, and was never announced to be in this particular game you're trying a bit hard.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well he was also bitching about space pirates not taking his inventory after he died, which much be the stupidest complaint I've heard of this game so far.

When you think about it, it's not that stupid. They're pirates. You died. That's what pirates do. That would be true survival.

Fuck Strikes.
Fuck Raids.
Fuck Multiplayer.

I want crafting
I want exploration
I want space travel
I want survival
I want procedurally generated biodiversity (and rocks).

This is exactly the game I wanted and that was advertised.

The biodiversity stuff is paper thin, though. There is no internal logic driving any of it. That's the biggest disappointment for me so far with this game. It really does feel random, it doesn't feel like ecosystems were generated mathematically based on context. I've seen herbivores on barren planets, amphibious looking creatures on dry planets, tropical plants on sub-zero planets, etc. It just doesn't feel alive in the slightest.

Ferrio

Banned
Not really. At least that's a punishment for death.

When you think about it, it's not that stupid. They're pirates. You died. That's what pirates do. That would be true survival.

It makes logical sense yes, but it doesn't make gameplay sense. There's a ton of pirate games out there, and this is the first game someone is going to rage about this issue? Gimme a break.

Also it's a feature that if it did exist would piss of *alot* of people. Eve online doesn't even do this and the game is brutal as all hell.

Klyka

Banned
I want to say one thing that is my biggest peeve with this game and how people are talking about it:

Hello Games has not made a universe.
They have made what LOOKS like a universe, but there is no interaction between anything.
The AI, the environments, the races, nothing does anything. Everything sits there or walks in place.
If you literally just sit there and look at something, nothing will ever happen.
The player is the ONLY thing that does anything in this game and his/her impact on the universe are tiny and have no actual impact.

It is not a universe, it just looks like one.

Even Elite Dangerous has a so called "background simulation".
In No Man Sky, nothing is connected to anything.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dear lord.

Nowhere did they say there are real atmospheric particles. Also, without seeing the source code, you cannot definitively say that there is no periodic table from which their algorithms take the values for atmospheric makeup and subsequently the color of the sky. Yes, the end results are all numbers, but they were talking about the systems in place that generate those numbers.

They definitely have something neat under the hood, because on launch day, when I went to view my progress and see fauna, plantlife, and minerals I scanned, for a split second they showed up as a 3D molecular model that had the blue and red balls.

Wish I saved the video, because it happened pretty fast, 2-3 seconds long before correcting. Next tike I will save the recording.

antitrop

Watching Angry Joe playing it on Twitch now. He literally said he hates the game.

I've had the stream on in the background for the last half hour and all he's been doing is mining gold.

It's not just his stream, though.

Every stream I turn on is just someone pointing a laser at rocks. =/

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I've had the stream on in the background for the last half hour and all he's been doing is mining gold.

Maybe Sean plays Minecraft just for the mining and never builds anything.

nowai

TBH, I never unsterstand the hype around this game. I agree that devs didn't lie about the game. It looks just as boring as it looked a year ago.

I knew this game wasn't for me the moment it was announced. The lack of gameplay and of things to do was so apparent from the very beginning.

I dunno. I think the game is pretty as advertised.

This pretty much mirrors how I felt. We all knew EXACTLY what this game would be before launch. Especially after the trailers leading up the release showed everything.

The only kinda bogus thing is the multi-player aspect...but even if there was multi, you would be going around with a friend mining and selling once your inventory got full. Same dull game with a friend.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
As much as I don't care for the gameplay loop, I cant stop playing...

I'm streaming it to my surface so I can play and not have to sit in my gaming area, great game to play with the TV on in background.

Keep crashing like vrazy though, 1 every 20-30 mins, used to be just while warping but last one was when I was looting something...

Yep nothing interesting or grand or particularly exciting is ever happening, when i'm watching a NMS stream or switch to another one. Simply because pointing your laser at stuff and "gathering" material is half the experience.

Might not sound like a great argument, but I really feel like a lot of people are giving up on this game too early. It really clicked for me a few star systems in, when unlocking more storage alleviated some of the inventory woes and I had a tooled-up ship that could handle any invaders. Plus, you gotta learn to not spend too much time on the bland planets - they're some insanely good ones out there, it's okay to be a bit choosey. They're planets I didn't want to leave.

But I know a lot of people don't have the time and/or patience for all that.

depths20XX

You don't get it, ok? This game is about exploring and and harvesting the same damn things on every planet. Sorry if that isn't your idea of "fun". Maybe you're into CoD yearly releases or think that dumb kid game Minecraft is cool.

Ferrio

Banned

Every Overwatch stream I turn on is just someone shooting another person =/

Mifec

I don't know the latter one. Are they good?

He is an absurdits comedy yt channel but he raises good points

video in question https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgfxo3CLdNM

OT if you wanna laugh http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1146125

You don't get it, ok? This game is about exploring and and harvesting the same damn things on every planet. Sorry if that isn't your idea of "fun". Maybe you're into CoD yearly releases or think that dumb kid game Minecraft is cool.

Is this a real post?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

The drive for progression is behind equipment unlocks for faster mining/extraction and travel, to see other planets. The 'core' of the game is blasting rocks :p

jblank83

I've watched Witwix play about 8 hours of No Man's Sky. At first I watched everything. Outside brief stops to sell things and travel to new planets, it was just him mining rocks. Every once in awhile I check back in and he's still just mining rocks. Last time I looked he was mining rocks.

Watching it too. Him and Karak's impressions seem to line up with mine more often than not. So disappointed in this game.

the game is most definitely not a dud - go to the actual OT for some impressions from those of us actually playing it

So going into the early impressions/review's-in progress thread would not be a good spot to get impressions from those actually playing?

Games a dud. Maybe mods or a lot of patches can save it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom