• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Early Impressions/Reviews-in-progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RK9039

Saw this is another for the Sterling response.

pz4n3v5t4lex.png

Jim f'ing Sterling Son.

KORNdoggy

Been playing 5 hours and really enjoying it. I like the simple gameplay loops. Its got MMO levels of depth (not much) but with a constant promise of rewards (new stuff, new planets to see, new creatures) and i dig that a lot. It helps that it is stylistically beautiful. And even the lore of the universe is intriging. I want to decipher the language, i want to find out more about the world and so the game keeps me pushing forward.

Would i like more things to do? Sure. But i could quite easily say that about all games. For me this is both fun, relaxing and scratches an OCD itch like nothing else. Will i be playing for 100 hours? Who knows. But i know for a fact i'll get my moneys worth. I'm itching to play more.

Jim Sterling's site was down almost as soon as the review was posted was it not? I clicked the link from here as soon as it was posted and I couldn't access. Would people work that quickly?

Man, that article is great:

For instance, Duncan insisted on permitting moons to orbit closer to their planets than Newtonian physics would allow. When he desired the possibility of green skies, the team had to redesign the periodic table to create atmospheric particles that would diffract light at just the right wavelength.

Lol. I remember that now. So much BS. I wonder who can fall for that. It's just 3 numbers from 0 to 255 (RGB), there isn't any BS periodic table nor real atmospheric particles being simulated in the game diffracting light to green in real time.

I hope at some point someone has to compile all the BS they said in the last years in a single thread.

Audioboxer

Saw this is another for the Sterling response.

pz4n3v5t4lex.png

Indepedent journalists don't need to give 2 shits about fanboys and companies trying to buy them and that is why I love when someone has the ability to truly say how they feel even if I personally don't agree. I don't doubt Jim always says it how he feels it which is why I like him.

You can also have empathy for devs when things don't go great, but ultimately they're grown men and women and if a product is a financial success I'm sure their egos will be okay at some harsh reviews.

The accurate description for this game would be:
Destiny-with-a-shitload-of-planets-but-no-missions-strikes-or-raids-and-also-no-multiplayer-component

Yes I played it for around 12 hours now.

RMI

Banned
I usually don't do that, but on this, I just want to quote myself. Because "by others" probably means "the developers of the game":

Bonus:

yeeeeeesh.

too bad this isn't a better game. Sean Murray filling the void that Molyneux crazied off into quite nicely.

Destiny-with-a-shitload-of-planets-but-no-missions-strikes-or-raids-and-also-no-multiplayer-component

Sounds much better then Destiny then, IMHO. Strikes and Raids is not something I would want in a game like this.

artsi

Jim Sterling's site was down almost as soon as the review was posted was it not? I clicked the link from here as soon as it was posted and I couldn't access. Would people work that quickly?

Doesn't take long to buy and target a DDOS attack, unfortunately.

Sounds much better then Destiny then, IMHO. Strikes and Raids is not something I would want in a game like this.

So it's Destiny but actually enjoyable?

See? To each its own.

Oh, I wasn't rating it negatively if that was how you guys perceived it.

It's really just Destiny's exploration and crafting system on more diverse planets. Which is not a bad thing at all, however it is missing a higher purpose.

I think a 7/10 on Metacritic is a fair rating at this stage.

Kimawolf

So I planned to buy the game tomorrow but.. Everyone has kinda made me wary.. So to people who have Elite Dangerous and NMS, if I love Elite would NMS interest me as well? Why or why not?

Fuck Strikes.
Fuck Raids.
Fuck Multiplayer.

I want crafting
I want exploration
I want space travel
I want survival
I want procedurally generated biodiversity (and rocks).

This is exactly the game I wanted and that was advertised.

mike6467

Fuck Strikes.
Fuck Raids.
Fuck Multiplayer.

I want crafting
I want exploration
I want space travel
I want survival

If you came to this game thinking it was an FPS, MMO, or traditional game, you my friend made a big mistake. You are to blame, not anyone else.

They should probably get rid of the "FIGHT" pillar. Not kidding here, I'm onboard with what you're saying, but they promoted epic space battles and first person shooting on the same level they did the others.

Oh, I wasn't rating it negatively if that was how you guys perceived it.

It's really just Destiny's exploration and crafting system on more diverse planets. Which is not a bad thing at all, however it is missing a higher purpose.

I think a 7/10 on Metacritic is a fair rating at this stage.

So does Minecraft and yet it is the biggest gaming phenomena of the past decade.

Maximo

No Mans Sky's level of hype and disappointment is so satisfying and strange coming from someone that has really distanced themselves from all No Man's Sky related media and talk about it. game didn't really interest me at the start and felt like it was a bunch of shallow promises when it first launched.
The amount of discussion is interesting and can't remember a recent game that has split a userbase so hard before.

z3phon

Fuck Strikes.
Fuck Raids.
Fuck Multiplayer.

I want crafting
I want exploration
I want space travel
I want survival

Lol sorry buddy but that's just not true.

Lol. I remember that now. So much BS. I wonder who can fall for that. It's just 3 numbers from 0 to 255 (RGB), there isn't any BS periodic table nor real atmospheric particles being simulated in the game diffracting light to green in real time.

I hope at some point someone has to compile all the BS they said in the last years in a single thread.

Dear lord.

Nowhere did they say there are real atmospheric particles. Also, without seeing the source code, you cannot definitively say that there is no periodic table from which their algorithms take the values for atmospheric makeup and subsequently the color of the sky. Yes, the end results are all numbers, but they were talking about the systems in place that generate those numbers.

depths20XX

I'm not even sure how people who like survival and crafting games are enjoying NMS. It seems to be the lowest level of "survival" mechanics and has been trumped by many other games that have done survival and crafting stuff years ago. There doesn't even seem to be any challenge to the survival aspects.

gossi

Nowhere did they say there are real atmospheric particles.

In fairness - in one of the interviews, Sean said they simulated the atmosphere and that particles reflect light or somesuch. It was just a throw away line.

Seiniyta

In fairness - in one of the interviews, Sean said they simulated the atmosphere and that particles reflect light or somesuch. It was just a throw away line.

So, the colour of the space of the solar system does seem related to the sky on the planets. Usually when I saw streamers go in a green hue'ed solar system you'd notice it was reflected in the sky and the colour scheme of the planet was somewhat tailored to that as well.

He explained it in a fancy way, but I think what he said there is basically true.

gossi

So, the colour of the space of the solar system does seem related to the sky on the planets. Usually when I saw streamers go in a green hue'ed solar system you'd notice it was reflected in the sky and the colour scheme of the planet was somewhat tailored to that as well.

He explained it in a fancy way, but I think what he said there is basically true.

Of course. It's just a video game, it's all code.

Here's what was reported:

"When he desired the possibility of green skies, the team had to redesign the periodic table to create atmospheric particles that would diffract light at just the right wavelength."

tesqui

Despite all the hate, I'm still hyped for the PC release of this. I can already predict the Steam Reviews will mostly consist of price complaints and LOL FUNNY MEME jokes. I'm gonna say it'll land at around 50% rating.

The only way I will buy this game now is if the PC port is decent. Really don't like the lack of details, shoddy way to release a game on the platform.

ive played a few hours and i think the game is ok. there are some really cool moments and finding/naming new planets is entertaining but the game basically boils down to a modern day collect-a-thon. people ask what you do in the game.... well, you collect a bunch of shit that will help you get to the center of the galaxy and end the game.

i think it is worth $60 if you love sci-fi/space exploration. but if you dont like things like "hey go collect 200 iron, 300 plutonium, 250 zinc in order to build this piece you need for your spaceship so you an get to where you're going. oh and if you want this upgrade on your suit also go collect 350 of this, 200 of that" etc. then i don't think this game is for you.

It wouldn't be as bad as it sounds if some core mechanics like traversal, resource and inventory management were much better. That holds the game back more than a collectathon. The game has a lot of potential that I think HG succeeded in creating, they just need to sort out some issues.

I believe if they keep supporting the game with nice updates, improvements and features along the way it will turn into a fantastic experience. Right now for me it doesn't quite get there, which is a shame because I know there's an incredible game in there somewhere dying to get out.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
After my first experience where I felt so burned, I deleted my save to try it again as I bought it digitally and want to steal some more enjoyment out of it, and perhaps readjust my expectations to what the game actually is.

So, after my earlier, quite scathing and dramatic impressions; a few newer observations :

- the progression for the first segment, up until the
warp drive
is actually really well done.

- the starter planet or system absolutely affects your enjoyment of this game, IMO. On my first save, my resources were bog standard, low value things for the most part. My first planet this time around was lush, DENSE in POI's and loot, Emoril and creatures all over the place. It had enormous Mario-style mushrooms, and Metroids on sticks everywhere. When you get something quite striking and rich, it's pretty impressive.

- Unlike my first game, i was constantly hitting 'milestones' with items and unlocks and crafting. I got an amazing 'cuts rock like butter' mining tool on my first planet, in a very, very short time. I went through three more from outposts in a short period after that and my current one is a beast.

- With your eyes on the prize (upgrades, slots, weapons, high value mining) - it's actually quite compelling and easy to get lost in this world.

- it needs more weather effects / atmosphere. I got some actual rain this time around, the sound design is superb but it needs richer, thicker weather or storm effects to feel 'real'.

- the launch trailers were so, so misleading. They suggested (blame the userbase for this, but the intention is clear) something quite epic and far more 'designed' and indepth than what we got.

With the right playlist (this one, in my case) the game can actually become something quite meditative, despite the grind. With some local quest givers it might become more focused, I'd liken the loop it has to something like Fantasy Life, which I found super addictive. There's some relaxation to be had here, strangely.

I still think the game is (somewhat) unfinished and some updates will add more. Maybe.

STEaMkb

Here is a quotation for your scrap album:

Technical director Alan Roberts breezes through the ins-and-outs of a real-life optical phenomenon known as Rayleigh scattering, which is what causes both the vivid blue hue of the midday sky and the red and yellow tones of the sky at sunset. In a nutshell, the sky (...) is blue because science dictates it, not because an artist glanced out a window and settled on the closest shade he or she could find.

“This now means that we can simulate the way that light interacts with particles in the atmosphere,” says Roberts. “We no longer have to have artists picking the colour of the sky from a colour picker; we can model the amount of particles in the atmosphere and the sky and the lighting reacts accordingly.”

“That’s how it works in real-life, and that’s exactly how it’s working here,” adds [art director Ben Penrose].

And another:

Bringing dynamic weather (...) means we don’t have to 'fake' anything. We can build our weather system with an emphasis on simulation. Our sky isn’t blue in our game because we painted it that color, it’s blue because that’s the way light separates in the air when it interacts with water particles; it’s why the sky is blue in real life. If conditions are right, we can simulate mathematically accurate rainbows in our world, creating these stunning moments of incredible natural beauty.

Spoken not of No Man's Sky, but particle simulation in Forza Horizon 2.

Dem conniving devs tho :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom