• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn on the PS4 pro will render in 2160p checkerboard

Guess Who

Banned
if checkerboarding 4K creates an image that is almost as good as native 4K why haven't we seen this technique used in the past? is it a pretty newly-discovered method?

It is a recently developed technique, and my understanding is that the PS4 Pro GPU has specific hardware optimizations that make it computationally cheaper than it would otherwise be.

if checkerboarding 4K creates an image that is almost as good as native 4K why haven't we seen this technique used in the past? is it a pretty newly-discovered method?

like in the ps360 era there were plenty of games that ran 720p (or even below that) instead of 1080p, could they have used the same technique to checkerboard 1080p and achieve a nearly as good 1080p effect?
Well...

It is quite new tech

Rainbow six Siege was the first to use. But not really low on resources to use. But way lower than brute force the 4K on a low clocked 480rx

Also, there's hardware thing on PS4 Pro that makes it cheaper to use. Probably a Polaris code to make the resources more optimized

So by that standard, 900p is basically 1080p right?

Anyway, back on topic. Game looks stunning. As a lowly pleb who doesn't own a Pro, I'm interested to see how this runs on the regular PS4. Any impressions about?

Kayant

"It looks good so it's 4K!".

No.

With all these new resolution techniques we now have I wish devs were a little more upfront and honest about it. Instead of trying to pass off 'upscaling' as the real deal.

'Basically 4K' is a big stretch, even though the end result will indeed look nice.
Well because it's not actually up-scaling maybe!

Cleve

More """""""4K"""""" resolution. I'm really not impressed with the PS4Pro.

I have no idea what you could have been expecting in the first place. It's woefully under-powered for native 4k games with the current visual fidelity. It's still a noticeable IQ improvement.

The game looks good even with the 4kpr, I wonder if the could have got 60fps if it was built ground up for the pro

The CPU and memory bandwith are still pretty weak in the Pro. 60 fps could always have been a design choice, but not without compromises.

NXGamer

2160p checkerboard means what native resolution? 3840x1080 or 1920x2160 or 2088x1620?

Edit - Looks to be 1920x2160.
Yes, as this is a perfect extension of their technology from Shadowfall and we can attest how good that was in delivering a 1920x1080 when it was 960x1080.

Here with 4xtimes the pixel density and improves algorithms, this is going to be very,very close to a true native 3840x2260. Itching to get some hands on with this.

BigEmil

like in the ps360 era there were plenty of games that ran 720p (or even below that) instead of 1080p, could they have used the same technique to checkerboard 1080p and achieve a nearly as good 1080p effect?
Yes new tech finalised and also PS4 Pro customised hardware been optimised to take advantage of these features much better to put it simply

Rizific

This is the game that will push me to get a pro. I would have vastly preferred 1080p/60fps though. But such is the life when dealing with console exclusives. Your preference doesn't mean shit.

Well because it's not actually up-scaling maybe!

Hence the quotations. But regardless it's still using non-native information to fill in the blanks. Just some methods are more effective than others.

These techniques are great, I'm just not keen on the idea of putting them on the same pedestal as their true counterparts. Whether it's devs or journalists who do it.

You can tell the difference. 2160p checkerboarded looks a little bit softer than 2160p native.

Nonetheless, it's still significantly higher than full HD and the IQ looks fantastic on my 4k TV.

I brought my Pro and my PC home over the christmas, first time ever having an experience in 4k. I played R&C and ROTTR, both looked great. I think the kinda blurry effect is what you mean by soft? I only noticed it when I was walking past the TV to go get a drink, its a 65" TV so I sit quite far from it, where its really not noticable IMO. I'd imagine a 4k monitor would be quite different though since youd be really close to it.

"It looks good so it's 4K!".

No.

With all these new resolution techniques we now have I wish devs were a little more upfront and honest about it. Instead of trying to pass off 'upscaling' as the real deal.
There's a visible difference.

4k Upscale
upscalenzujb.jpg

4k Uprender
hzd-04-4k-pro-no-logo-1485511639-1485783904484.png

Edit: added a more recent picture. Holy shit did they improve the 4k image quality since the pro unveil!

Open world games running at 60 fps are nearly nonexistent.

MGS5 runs at 60 fps but the graphics and locales were not that impressive.

I'll take 30fps with Horizons graphics any day of the week.

Kayant

"basically 4K" is not from Sony or Guerrilla btw
Hence the quotations. But regardless it's still using non-native information to fill in the blanks. Just some methods are more effective than others.

These techniques are great, I'm just not keen on the idea of putting them on the same pedestal as their true counterparts. Whether it's devs or journalists who do it.
Fair enough I see what you mean. Yh "basically 4K" is cutting it a bit to close but I guess if you take the statement as what the resulting image looks like then it's seems somewhat valid as a simple way of describing it from that journalist's perspective i guess but yh likely could have described it better.

Wasn't that known right when they announced it?

Edit: Sorry, I was playing and didn't noticed the phrase didn't make any sense.

vpance

My mom can't tell the difference between DVDs and blu-rays. DVDs basically blu-rays confirmed.

To her, yes!

FWIW John and Richard from DF couldn't tell the difference during that Pro reveal event where they demoed Horizon running on ZD9's, with their faces fairly close to the screen. At standard viewing distances most people would be hard pressed to notice it's not native.

Curufinwe

Once Scorpio hits and there are (presumably) multiplatform games that are native 4K on Scorpio and checkerboard 4K on the Pro we can actually see how big the difference is.

Outrun

The game will be rendered in 2160p checkerboard (meaning, basically 4K)

The game will be rendered in 2160p checkerboard (meaning, not actually 4K)

I can see why they went with the first one

Yep, with all the issues of 1080Pr etc... I don't think we should be calling anything less that 4K, 4K.

Regardless, it is a gorgeous game.

vpance

You can tell the difference. 2160p checkerboarded looks a little bit softer than 2160p native.

Nonetheless, it's still significantly higher than full HD and the IQ looks fantastic on my 4k TV.

Depends on the implementation, game and viewing distance. Like I said, only when you don't notice it and not everyone is going to.

Once Scorpio hits and there are (presumably) multiplatform games that are native 4K on Scorpio and checkerboard 4K on the Pro we can actually see how big the difference is.

The Scorpio will be doing this stuff just the same, most of the time anyway. Though I guess at a higher level.

pottuvoi

Banned

There were some tries, but programmability limits and simply the amount of research on subject was not enough.

Now after research of temporal anti aliasing there is quite good tools for sample reuse for spatial resolution as well.

It's good to remember that there is no single method of checkerboard rendering, it's more like basic idea and developers have to fit it in their pipeline.
We will be getting nice presentations at GDC on how custom solutions are forming.

jaypah

The Scorpio will be doing this stuff just the same, most of the time anyway. Though I guess at a higher level.

Yeah. If you want to see the difference there are PS4Pro vs PC 4K comparisons out there. As expected it's not as good as native but it's still very nice and a seemingly good value for $400.

So I see...

1) People still don't understand what checkerboard rendering is, and;

2) That doesn't stop people from posting a bunch of uninformed nonsense.

You're going to be seeing plenty of checkerboarding or variable resolution content on Scorpio if the recent leaks were anything to go by. Should it be a higher quality given the better hardware? Yes, but given that people still don't understand these techniques, we're going to have a very hard time having rational conversations about the differences.

The main thing is, it's getting a nice boost over 1080p and will look very close to native 4k, which means it should look even more incredible, suits me just fine.

True Fire

Are we really pretending to be 4K elitists when we just came from a console that struggles to render games at 1080p? This is leaps and bounds better than PS4.

charsace

It is a recently developed technique, and my understanding is that the PS4 Pro GPU has specific hardware optimizations that make it computationally cheaper than it would otherwise be.

So recent that people were crying about it when quantum break used it and letting people know how much they hated it.

the difference is roughly 2x the quality level.
This is completely wrong. For certain frames or portions of frames, CBR is literally indistinguishable from native rendering. In a practical sense, it will often be perceptually indistinguishable.

How can it be basically 4k if it uses half the pixels?
The base res is half the pixel count of the final output.
Looks to be 1920x2160.
Checkerboarded from what base resolution?
All this is wrong. There is no "base resolution" for CBR, it's not a form of upscaling. CBR rasterizes just as many pixels as native rendering. Just the method it uses for half of them is slightly less accurate.

Why would anyone describe a checkerboard resolution as "basically 4k"? This is totally nonsense.
Marketing. We all know here it is not 4k, and we all know here it is NOT basically 4k as they say in that text.
Let's not try to pass off half the pixels as "basically 4K".
Since when is 2160p checkerboard basically 4K??
For many reasonable definitions of "basically", CBR absolutely is basically 4K. For example, I can 100% guarantee that we can devise fair, honest tests where no one could determine any difference between native and CBR. In real-world applications such perfect results will be scattered, of course. But I think this points out how misguided expectations of giant quality gaps are.

...These techniques are great, I'm just not keen on the idea of putting them on the same pedestal as their true counterparts.
So I assume you refuse to call games "1080p" whenever their shadow buffers, particle effects, or volumetric lighting run at non-native resolution. Without researching, can you name which of last fall's titles aren't "true" 1080p in this sense?

There's a problem with trying to be ideologically pure about things you don't even notice.

Are we really pretending to be 4K elitists when we just came from a console that struggles to render games at 1080p? This is leaps and bounds better than PS4.

We went from "4k is a useless upgrade! No one wants that." to "Only native 4k matters. I only want that."

It's important to back up your purchasing decisions and console allegiances in a way that not only makes you look smart, but in a way that makes the decisions of others look stupid.

So dynamic 4K is now basically 4K. OK sony. o_O

Do people actually look at the sources for this stuff, or are we assuming Engadget just reads ad copy?

So, the footage shown for this game so far is base PS4 footage? I've been assuming, since it looks so good, that it's 1080p PS4 Pro footage, which offers enhanced graphical detail.

If that's not the case then holy shit this is a great looking game on the OG PS4!

pottuvoi

Banned
So recent that people were crying about it when quantum break used it and letting people know how much they hated it.
QB didn't use checkerboard rendering
Most people disliked the TAA implementation due to ghosting artifacts, not how their super resolution method worked.

Top Bottom