• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 runs at 1080p ULTRA ~60 fps on a 980

Kezen

Banned
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-witcher-3-runs-with-60fps-at-ultra-settings-on-intel-i7-4790-with-gtx980-gets-new-screenshot/
As Gamestar reported, an Intel i7-4790 with 16GB of RAM and an NVIDIA GTX980 was able to run the game at 1080p on Ultra settings with almost constant 60fps. This latest build of The Witcher 3 is said to report smoother than the preview build CD Projekt RED showcased back in January, and implements NVIDIA’s HairWorks (which Gamestar was also allowed to enable, and managed to sustain almost 60fps continuously).

Interested in seeing what ultra settings look like but I'm not expecting a huge difference between ultra and high.

Jonnax

If it didn't people would complain so they gotta design their top settings for a system that's currently available.

D-VoN

Well that's great. I'll probably have to go medium/high, no AA for 1440/60 on my 770.
I hope

Qassim

That's reduced my expectations for the Ultra settings :(

I was hoping for some card destroying settings, hopefully some still exist but aren't included in the Ultra preset.

D-VoN

Here's hoping my heavily overclocked 780Ti's are able to do the same at 1440p. Somehow, I seriously doubt it.

I think you've got it. My single 770 does a lot at 1440p on high/ultra. Just have to turn off AA in most cases, or lower it. I assume you'll have to do the same for The Witcher 3

Orayn

If it didn't people would complain so they gotta design their top settings for a system that's currently available.

Haha, yeah, these kinds of announcements can polarize people in funny ways: If the game is extremely difficult to max out on current hardware, it's unoptimized shit and the devs obviously spent all their time on the console versions. If a game is easy to max out, it's obviously under-ambitious and being held back by console limitations.

I still remember people completely losing their shit over the high VRAM requirements for the optional texture pack for Shadow of Mordor.

Kezen

Banned
True, but 1080p isn't really the resolution PC gamers with high end cards aim for.

I don't know, I don't have any data aside from the fact that the 980 is mostly benchmarked at 1440p. But this is a very high resolution and people should keep their expectations in check. There will obviously be well optimized games that even a 980 can't run at max settings even at 1080p, let alone 1440p.

I'll stay at 1080p for the time being (970).

martino

With that machine it should be 60fps @ 1080p..
Without knowing what the game is actually doing :
Not-This-Shit-Again-anime-28533251-604-340.jpg

Kind of debating whether to get it for PS4 or PCas I only have a dual 750m Sli set up with my Lenovo y510p. Not looking to max out ultra settings but I'd love to get it for PC if I could get good IQ and a solid 30fps but wonder if it will perform better on PS4.

Hmmm.....am I good to go I wonder? 980, 8 GB RAM@2133mhz and an OC'd 3770k@4.6ghz. I mean I can't get DA:I to run on max@60fps and 1080p or Far Cry 4 for that matter so I have little hope for Witcher 3. Still 45-50fps isn't so bad.

D-VoN

Kind of debating whether to get it for PS4 or PCas I only have a dual 750m Sli set up with my Lenovo y510p. Not looking to max out ultra settings but I'd love to get it for PC if I could get good IQ and a solid 30fps but wonder if it will perform better on PS4.

I'd say you're better off on PS4. It's confirmed for 1080p/30fps.

Dargor

How does an I7 3770k compare to an I7 4790?

Wanna know what I can expect from my rig. Hoping I can at least keep the I7.

Just waiting for a 980 with a bigger ram pool to grab one.

Gbraga

Holy shit, I was expecting medium at 30fps (assuming there's only High and Ultra above it) on my 680, but I have some hope for medium at 60fps now, or maybe mixing high and medium at 30fps if medium at 60fps is still too much.

LilJoka

Little bit slower, maybe 10%, just overclock it. I have my i7 3770 @ 4.2Ghz at less than stock voltage.

This game will be GPU bottlenecked though. So CPUs will make little difference at the i7 range.

You're better off with the PS4 version as you're not going to be running it at the same quality. Your GPU's specs: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2224/geforce-gt-750m.html

Edit: Apparently your model has a GT 755m not a 750m, so these are your GPU specs (still should go with the PS4 version): http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2420/geforce-gt-755m.html

That's all I need. 4k is too dam expensive and I am happy with 1080p resolutions it looks great to me.
I was going to get it on ps4 but will definitely go pc now

Cyborg

So for this beast Intel i7-4790 with 16GB of RAM and an NVIDIA GTX980 You pay more than $/€ 1.000. Right? Even at that pricepoint you arent able to play it on locked 60fps!

Price vs. Quality is completly out of proportion.

Nabbis

That performance on ultra seems to indicate that the graphical fidelity we saw in some of the trailers will not be attainable.

Though i suppose it's good that i will be able to run this on ultra 1080p with a 780GTX. If the news is true.

Kezen

Banned

A 4790k is quite a bit faster due to the Haswell arch and higher clocks. Don't expect a locked 60fps but an Ivy should do reasonably well.

I can't help but ponder over what dx12 could bring to the Witcher 3. Surely it would help immensely considering it will be a very cpu bound game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So 1080p, high/medium graphical settings, high setting textures and 30fps on PS4 is doable. Hopefully its solid with minimum dips

Dargor

Little bit slower, maybe 10%, just overclock it. I have my i7 3770 @ 4.2Ghz at less than stock voltage.

This game will be GPU bottlenecked though. So CPUs will make little difference at the i7 range.

Great to know. Thanks for the speedy reponse too lol.

Edit:

A 4790k is quite a bit faster due to the Haswell arch and higher clocks. Don't expect a locked 60fps but an Ivy should do reasonably well.

I can't help but ponder over what dx12 could bring to the Witcher 3. Surely it would help immensely considering it will be a very cpu bound game.

One more imput. Thanks.

Yeah, I think I'll keep the 3770k. I don't think it justifies an upgrade just yet, if it isn't a huge difference.

Top Bottom