• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 runs at 1080p ULTRA ~60 fps on a 980

GavinUK86

I wish it would let you import but still change a few things. I
killed Letho but I'm thinking maybe I should have let him live.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I want
Sile to be alive but she isn't
in my save. The
Letho choice is the last thing you do
so can't you just load up a previous one and alter that?

People have a weird definition of locked.
To me, lock would mean it doesn't move. It's locked in place. Therefore you can't lock a framerate because you can't set a minimum. The minimum is determined by the load on the hardware at any given time.

You can cap the framerate.

Yeah, cap is a more suitable word.

AndyD

aka andydumi
People have a weird definition of locked.
To me, lock would mean it doesn't move. It's locked in place. Therefore you can't lock a framerate because you can't set a minimum. The minimum is determined by the load on the hardware at any given time.

You can cap the framerate.

I see your edit now. Lock=cap for most.

Corsick

Just bought a 980 from Newegg. I am on a 660 right now. The last time I made any upgrades to my PC was April 16th, 2013. Can't wait to see how everything runs.

I have a 660 right now as well with a 3570k. I think I'm still at the point where a new GPU will not be cpu bound by any relevant margin. Please share your thoughts on the performance/settings you're using in the inevitable Witcher 3 PC performance thread if you get the inclination to do so. I'll most likely wait for Skylake and Pascal, but I may just get a 980 instead if the improvements are lackluster.

Hell of a card. Did you buy an EVGA card by chance?

I did. Got the Superclocked ACX2.0 from Newegg since they had a coupon code along with a $20 rebate, and it was tax free! It would have cost an extra $40 total if I got it from Amazon. I'll be selling my GTX 660 once it arrives, and I was also planning on buying Batman: Arkham Knight and The Witcher III anyways, so the total savings will be even more.

Please share your thoughts on the performance/settings you're using in the inevitable Witcher 3 PC performance thread if you get the inclination to do so.

Will do! I just started the first Witcher yesterday so I will probably be a couple of weeks behind depending on how long it takes me to get through the first two games. That should also allow time for additional patches that may result in improved performance.

I did. Got the Superclocked ACX2.0 from Newegg since they had a coupon code along with a $20 rebate, and it was tax free! It would have cost an extra $40 total if I got it from Amazon. I'll be selling my GTX 660 once it arrives, and I was also planning on buying Batman: Arkham Knight and The Witcher III anyways, so the total savings will be even more.

Perfect. EVGA has the step up program too if you didn't know and it'll let you upgrade that card if something bigger and better comes out within 90 days(which is looking very likely) of purchase for a small fee. So you have one of the best cards on the market, in time for 2 really incredible looking games(which you got for free) and can still upgrade your card when/if a new one comes out soon.

160473082bbbea7bd8d54407c90c3fa4a8904bf98ab6365819d2c69b28cc0629.jpg

Perfect. EVGA has the step up program too if you didn't know and it'll let you upgrade that card if something bigger and better comes out within 90 days(which is looking very likely) of purchase for a small fee. So you have one of the best cards on the market, in time for 2 really incredible looking games(which you got for free) and can still upgrade your card when/if a new one comes out soon.

160473082bbbea7bd8d54407c90c3fa4a8904bf98ab6365819d2c69b28cc0629.jpg

Haha, awesome! I didn't know about that program. I was almost waiting for you to tell me something bad. Now all I have to do is play the hell out of the first two Witcher games so I can jump into The Witcher 3 as soon as possible.

Haha, awesome! I didn't know about that program. I was almost waiting for you to tell me something bad. Now all I have to do is play the hell out of the first two Witcher games so I can jump into The Witcher 3 as soon as possible.

You're in for a treat. Witcher 1 is really really good. Get the UI overhaul mod, the two swords on back mod, be sure to bind walk and toggable UI to a key and play OTS(over the shoulder) and just soak it in. You may want to just not play either and just wait till after you are done with Witcher 3 and are genuinely interested in the characters histories to see how far the series has come. You probably won't be able to devote the amount of time both those games deserve before the Witcher 3 comes out and most likely be ploughing through a good portion to get to the end and it'd be a crime. I'd say just play something else that you are interested in to let that 980 stretch it's muscles and then dive into Witcher 3 with everyone else.

If you really want to get a good idea of the world/characters/settings of the Witcher I'd strongly suggest the first book. It's an easy read and is just a few short stories that really give you a sense of the world, especially if you've seen Witcher 3 already and can just imagine some of the people/characters/beasts from the 1st novel actually live somewhere out in the game. It's a fun/great read and you could definitely finish it before Witcher 3 comes out. Hell I started listening to the audiobook(even though I've read through the physical book twice) to just refamiliarize myself with the world lore.

Either way I'm excited for W3 a lot.

prophecy0

Wait you can dedicate a card to hairworks?

I thought hairworks was based on PhysX, but it appears I was wrong. A dedicated PhysX card won't do anything for hairworks, but TW3 supposedly DOES support PhysX so maybe a dedicated card will help in some capacity. I guess I'll find out next week.

GavinUK86

Just bought a 980 from Newegg. I am on a 660 right now. The last time I made any upgrades to my PC was April 16th, 2013. Can't wait to see how everything runs.

I have a 660 right now as well with a 3570k. I think I'm still at the point where a new GPU will not be cpu bound by any relevant margin. Please share your thoughts on the performance/settings you're using in the inevitable Witcher 3 PC performance thread if you get the inclination to do so. I'll most likely wait for Skylake and Pascal, but I may just get a 980 instead if the improvements are lackluster.

Interesting. I have 2 660's at the moment but I'm thinking about upgrading to either the 970 or the 980. Quite a big difference price wise but a lot of people seem happy with the 970 considering what it costs.

Mifec

Interesting. I have 2 660's at the moment but I'm thinking about upgrading to either the 970 or the 980. Quite a big difference price wise but a lot of people seem happy with the 970 considering what it costs.

Wait for AMD to release their stuff then upgrade when we get price drops, new nvidia announcements.

That's if you are not in a hurry obv.

I made this same exact upgrade to a MSI 970 and only $60 out of pocket. Better performance ,single card set up and overclocks like a beast, if lucky enough into the realms of a stock 980. The only negative that I can see with the 970 is it doesn't exactly give you 4gb of vram to work with (more like 3.5) but if 1080 is your main resolution it shouldn't be too much of a problem pushing out high/ultra settings in a majority of the newer games out but we'll see how it handles the witcher 3 soon enough.

gamingmajik

Neo Member
Really hoping my gtx 960 can run it at least on medium. I'll be happy with 30fps. Also I have i5 4460. My pc has been able to run witcher 2 on ultra with AA maxed at 60 fps. This is my first pc by the way. Built her in the end of February

Sevenfold

Can someone just confirm please (I don't want to get sucked into the nonsense of the other thread) that, on PC, we've yet to see the game at ultra settings or maxed, whatever you want to call it, with all the bells and whistles including soul glow hair? (day one patch added goodies notwithstanding)

DieH@rd

Banned
Can someone just confirm please (I don't want to get sucked into the nonsense of the other thread) that, on PC, we've yet to see the game at ultra settings or maxed, whatever you want to call it, with all the bells and whistles including soul glow hair? (day one patch added goodies notwithstanding)

We saw Ultra+Hairworks several times now. It IMO looks little better [animals look better], but nothing mindblowing. 60fps is much bigger reason to go for PC version.

Sevenfold

We saw Ultra+Hairworks several times now. It IMO looks little better [animals look better], but nothing mindblowing. 60fps is much bigger reason to go for PC version.

No option. All my (non Ninty) eggs are in one basket :)

I'm curious is all. Very much looking forward to the game regardless of recent arguments, and it's a shame it had break the hype wave. I love the hype.

Really hoping my gtx 960 can run it at least on medium. I'll be happy with 30fps. Also I have i5 4460. My pc has been able to run witcher 2 on ultra with AA maxed at 60 fps. This is my first pc by the way. Built her in the end of February

All evidence points toward he 960 managing High.

Gbraga

What's the best way to lock fps to 30 these days? Nvidia control panel or through something like msi afterburner?

Use Nvidia Control Panel or Inspector to set the vsync to Half Refresh Rate, and RTSS to limit the framerate to 30. It's the most consistent way of getting "smooth" 30fps in my experience.

If you're having too much input lag, try setting max prerendered frames to 1 on Nvidia Inspector.

You're looking at high at 60fps (getting as low as 40 when the scene is too demanding), by the looks of it.

Maybe even uber if you lock it at 30.

Top Bottom