• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 runs at 1080p ULTRA ~60 fps on a 980

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yeah, it won't. They always say high, and it turns out to be a mix of low, medium and high. Always. Hell sometimes, you have settings set to lower than the lowest on PC (Dying light for example and LOD).

That was recently patched from what i've heard along with the AF issue(not sure to what degree though...)

roytheone

This is great and all that, but I am much more curious how good it will run on older CPU's. My i7 870 is getting quite old, but in games like AC: Unity and dragon age: inquisition it still preforms surprisingly well, much better than I expected. Hopefully that is also the case in this game.

Journey

Banned
That only tells me they should have pushed the graphics harder.

Really? It doesn't tell you that the game is well optimized? Have you seen what the graphics look like? Haven't you played games that look crappy yet for no apparent reason make your top machine chug?

We need to stop judging graphics by what framerate/resolution it's running, what matters is what's being rendered. J.H.C!

Bl@de

Yay. I would be very happy with such a performance. With settings lowered to High/Medium my GTX 770 should be able to do 60fps. Then again ... I bet Hairworks, PhysX etc. are the biggest performance hogs anyway - but I have no problem not using that (this time).

Kezen

Banned
I think you mean vocal minority ;) Or maybe not, the sentiment really is rampant.
I'd like to think it's a minority but entitlement and ignorance are rife within the PC community, and I don't think those are all ex-console gamers (or gamers playing on PC & consoles). Just take a look at the Steam forums...Oh God. It's really sad and I can perfectly understand why some developpers simply chose to aim for strict parity with consoles so any decently high-end machine is going to run the game at really high settings and high enough framerate. Too many so called PC gamers have a completely fabricated, exaggerrated idea of what their hardware is capable of, and straight comparisons to consoles don't always work. I've tried shading the debate but I have only been met with venom or a simple apologist.
To make matter worse The Witcher 3 has very steep requirements, the minimum requirements (even though there may be some leeway) are not "minimum" by your average PC gamer's standards. The lack of transparence on behalf of CDPR is not helping either, what do "minimum" and "recommended" mean ? Lack of information only fuels anger, frustration and cause too many to have inflated expectations. I think it is a very, very bad call not to thoroughly explain what difference ultra settings actually make, perhaps if they tried listing some impressive tech they are using it would calm some folks down.

No matter how well (or not-so-well) optimized the game is it's not going to be a pretty sight. I trust CDPR to make good use of contemporary PC hardware but as per usual there will always be an ignorant bunch to believe that the game should perform much better on lesser powerful systems, disregarding API inefficiences and the need to "equalize" to some degree the different settings.

Crysis suffered form this too. Everyone complained that they couldn't run it at max with their high end gear, never stopping to take a look and realize that even at medium settings the game looked BETTER THAN ANY OTHER GAME ON ANY PLATFORM EVER.
Yes, and that lends credence to the idea that the very loud ones are not necessarily people with a console mindset. It's just that some PC gamers have no clue about the hardware they bought or naively associate price to an indealized, arbitrary level of performance.

I wonder what's going to happen when the Titan X will struggle to run the latest games at unreasonable settings at a non mainstream PC resolution of 1440p....Lazy devs!!

If 60 FPS is vanity, I don't want to be modest ;)
Humility is the good point of the one who does not have any.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yikes, I'll consider myself lucky if I can hit 30 at high settings then.

Edit: If consoles can hit High I'm not so worried any more, my PC's been consistent in that it shows a clear advantage over console versions despite being mid-range

I would hope a $550 GPU could handle this game @ 60fps on the highest settings. Would be rather ridiculous if that was not the case.

Whats really the point in saying, " no worries guys, the highest grade GPU currently on the market should be able to handle our game just fine! Woohoo! ". Kind of odd.

Derp

So if that's for a 980, I'm guessing my 780 Ti will do something like High at 60 FPS? Or 30-60? So it's... It's uhh... It's almost at the PS4 setting?

Alrighty then... Brb selling kidney so I can afford a new card so my system doesn't get shat on by a PS4 further into the generation when developers master the art of turning ancient hardware into powerful shit.

Kezen

Banned
I would hope a $550 GPU could handle this game @ 60fps on the highest settings. Would be rather ridiculous if that was not the case.

It would not if the game looked beyond anything available today, don't forget about context.
It's not like the 980 is a GPU of limitless power.

Lucifon

The stated recommended requirements should be 1080/60 at max settings imo. If its the requirements the developer recommends for playing their game, surely it should be the best it can look and run at a smooth framerate.

Kinthalis

Banned
So if that's for a 980, I'm guessing my 780 Ti will do something like High at 60 FPS? Or 30-60? So it's... It's uhh... It's almost at the PS4 setting?

Alrighty then... Brb selling kidney so I can afford a new card so my system doesn't get shat on by a PS4 further into the generation when developers master the art of turning ancient hardware into powerful shit.

Seriously, you think your 780ti is going to be beaten by a PS4?

Common now, son! If anythign is going to be shitting on anything is your 780ti, laying a massive, massive turd on your PS4.

Don't worry. As mentioned, Ps4 has lower tha high textures, LOD at like half of PC. It's going to be a mix of low and medium and possibly a setting on high at 30 FPS. Your 780ti ia about 20% slower than a 980. You're good for better than PS4 graphics at 60 FPS.

Also, a PS4 will NEVER outperform a 780ti. It's just not going to happen. The only difference between PC and console hardware right now is the CPU overhead of DX11 (and less efficient compute use). Once DX12 and Open GL next hit, even that goes away.

Kezen

Banned
The stated recommended requirements should be 1080/60 at max settings imo. If its the requirements the developer recommends for playing their game, surely it should be the best it can look and run at a smooth framerate.

No, it would be too demanding. That fits the ultra specs probably.
Recommended should mean highish settings at 30fps. 60fps and ultra settings are enthusiast territory with the price premium it involves.

The Llama

Not really interested in this game tbh but good to know that my 290x should be fine at high/ultra settings if I decide to pick it up.

I know it's not really the case, but sometimes it feels like people don't even give a shit about the gameplay, or the fact it's a RPG. Graphics obsessed.

b0bbyJ03

I really do not understand the people that are disappointed by this. They've already seen the game. Its one thing to say, "they should have made a prettier game" but to be disappointed that the game runs on current hardware with the visuals that have already been shown makes no sense. If anything I would hope that my 980 can do better, much better, than these visuals.

Kinthalis

Banned
I know it's not really the case, but sometimes it feels like people don't even give a shit about the gameplay, or the fact it's a RPG. Graphics obsessed.

That's a terribly silly argument. The REASON I'm buying this game is that it's an RPG. We don't know enough about gameplay to know for sure, but I'm assuming it's like the Witcher 2 but (hopefully) refined. That doesn't mean I'm not interested in discussing the graphics of a VIDEO game, or that by discussing graphics, somehow that means I don't care about gameplay or lore and story.

Lunar15

It's really annoying, but I fall into that trap too. We can only tell so much about the gameplay, although we can tell a lot about the graphics from what we see. The irony is that, in a couple of years, the graphics will be meaningless and all people will talk about is whether or not the gameplay and story were any good.

That's a terribly silly argument. The REASON I'm buying this game is that it's an RPG. We don't know enough about gameplay to know for sure, but I'm assuming it's like the Witcher 2 but (hopefully) refined. That doesn't mean I'm not interested in discussing the graphics of a VIDEO game, or that by discussing graphics, somehow that means I don't care about gameplay or lore and story.

Silly is a funny word. It just looks strange when you type it out.

Derp

Seriously, you think your 780ti is going to be beaten by a PS4?

Common now, son! If anythign is going to be shitting on anything is your 780ti, laying a massive, massive turd on your PS4.

Don't worry. As mentioned, Ps4 has lower tha high textures, LOD at like half of PC. It's going to be a mix of low and medium and possibly a setting on high at 30 FPS. Your 780ti ia about 20% slower than a 980. You're good for better than PS4 graphics at 60 FPS.

Also, a PS4 will NEVER outperform a 780ti. It's just not going to happen. The only difference between PC and console hardware right now is the CPU overhead of DX11 (and less efficient compute use). Once DX12 and Open GL next hit, even that goes away.
Aww yes this makes me feel better now. This is the motivation my GPU needed. Ain't no PS4 gonna poop on my card! *cuddles gpu* I'm sorry bro. Should never have doubted you.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Confirms my fears that the game will look shitty and has been heavily downgraded. I wish it wasn't so hard to cancel digital pre-orders.

hitgirl

Dude if you're getting PS4 level graphics out of a 780 TI then you got some problems. I have a regular 780, I got lucky on the over clock, and it is a monster compared to the PS4 capabilities.

Kinthalis

Banned
What does ultra mean? What kind of anti aliasing? This says nothing.

True. Ultimatley we still don't know much. What does ultra bring to the table over high? We know it brings Nvidia hair technology, and perhaps better shadows? But what else?

We need video and screenshots and some comparisons between high and Ultra, and we probably won't be getting those until the game ships.

Xdrive05

Good. That's almost exactly my system, cept for a 3770k in mine.

I'll have to see how it looks before I pat them on the back over it.

Derp

Dude if you're getting PS4 level graphics out of a 780 TI then you got some problems. I have a regular 780, I got lucky on the over clock, and it is a monster compared to the PS4 capabilities.
I'm not getting that level graphics. It's been a beast so far. My post was only regarding Witcher 3. I had just read that the PS4 version of it would be running at High 1080/30. And since we know the 980 is at Ultra 1080/60, and that the 780 Ti is weaker, I assumed the 780 Ti would get about High 1080/60 or less, bringing it close to the PS4 setting. Turns out apparently the PS4 isn't actually going to be at the high setting.

My bad :)

shandy706

Yeah, I just figured out how to enable this yesterday and messed around with it. I had tried it previously and my TV wouldn't display anything and I realized yesterday that I needed to go into the properties and check all the resolutions.

Just a question about this, though. Is this meant to be so you can turn off AA? Or I guess more specifically, what features does this enable me to turn off?

It's all about a better IQ at higher than your monitor/tv resolutions.

Yes, you can drop AA completely when you start out. If your performance is still incredible, work AA into the fold for an even better image (don't use blur inducing forms of AA like FXAA).

Older games can be played at ridiculous down-sampling settings (4k+), but you can down-sample from nearly any resolution above 1080p that matches your ratio. I tend to push to 4k+ just for screenshots and old games.

I usually shift between 1440p and 1620p with some AA on top depending on the game for actual gameplay sessions on my 1080p set.

hitgirl

I'm not getting that level graphics. It's been a beast so far. My post was only regarding Witcher 3. I had just read that the PS4 version of it would be running at High 1080/30. And since we know the 980 is at Ultra 1080/60, and that the 780 Ti is weaker, I assumed the 780 Ti would get about High 1080/60 or less, bringing it close to the PS4 setting. Turns out apparently the PS4 isn't actually going to be at the high setting.

My bad :)

Yea, you will be more than good with the TI. I was planning on upgrading for Witcher 3, but it seems like my 780 will be good enough.

SoundLad

I wish they would mention whether "ultra" includes MSAA or other demanding AA settings.
Hoping my overclocked 780ti won't have too much trouble with this.

KainXVIII

75858d1394730284-jag-stretch-limo-dont_believe-jpg

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Time to buy Titan X then...

and implements NVIDIA’s HairWorks (which Gamestar was also allowed to enable, and managed to sustain almost 60fps continuously).

do we have a video showing hairworks in Witcher 3?(for human characters I mean. not that old wolf gif)

also is this the first game to use Hairworks for human characters? good that even with hairworks it keep a good framerate on Ultra, TressFX on Lichdom: Battlemage tanked the framerate (guess Nvidia solution is less demanding than AMD tressfx).

Kinthalis

Banned
Hopefully the game plays nice with g-sync and/or sli, since I'll be trying to tackle this with two 980's at 4k.

It's an nvidia branded game, so I would think an SLI profile will be coming out alongside the game.

AMD guys might have to wait until post release to get a crossfire profile though. Hopefully not.

Top Bottom