• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 runs at 1080p ULTRA ~60 fps on a 980

paolo11

Nice. I have SLI 980GTX and if itplays well on SLI, my rig can play this constant 60fps on 1080p ultra settings.

shandy706

Hmmm, so I could comfortably do 30+fps down-sampling a little.

I'll probably start at down-sampling from 1440p and see what I can hit and maintain 30+.

That only tells me they should have pushed the graphics harder.

Kind of a no-win situation for them. If they optimize well enough to able to push ~60 frames @ 1080p out of a 980, then people cry that they should have pushed the graphics harder.

If the game only runs at ~30-40 frames @ 1080p on a 980, then the game's an unoptimized piece of shit and lazy devs strike again...

Kinthalis

Banned
Kind of debating whether to get it for PS4 or PCas I only have a dual 750m Sli set up with my Lenovo y510p. Not looking to max out ultra settings but I'd love to get it for PC if I could get good IQ and a solid 30fps but wonder if it will perform better on PS4.

A 750m SLI Lenovo does better than a PS4 on BF4. Not necessarily representative of course for this game and this engine, but there you have it. Personally, I would always choose options ot no options. Whatever you get with a PS4, you get. With your PC you can always determine the compromise you want to make. Maybe 60 FPS makes the game more fuild and fun for you in terms of combat. Not on option on consoles, but maybe you cna live without high quality shadows or higher quality shader effects, etc and get your 60 FPS. Or maybe you just want dat awesome next gen wolf fur ;)

Zeth

Hoping to squeeze out ~High settings at 1440 on my OCed 970 with some other minor sacrifices if needed.

Nachtmaer

Sounds good enough for my 290. I don't mind turning some of the fluff down to get a decent framerate if needed either.

Have they mentioned anything about which AA methods they'll implement? That SMAA mod for The Witcher 2 was pretty great for the performance impact it had.

patapuf

Yes, the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions had previously been confirmed to run at the PC equivalent of High. Though that remains to be seen when the game comes out.

IIrc. correctly it was only the texture that were confirmed to be at high settings.

Looking at other software it'll likely be a mix of different settings.

sucks that all this "new money" will get to enjoy the game on Ultra at 60fps, thanks a lot nvidia, i like my PCs gaming exclusionary and price prohibitive

the only things exclusionary about high graphics settings is people wanting to push the slider completely to the right side. As long as the game scales down well there's nothing wrong with "future proofing". Everyone benefits from it down the line.

TheGrue

Sweet, those are my specs, except I have more RAM. I have my PC hooked up to my TV in the living room, so I'll be running 1080p.

cripterion

Those with SLI Titan X will eat this game up lol.

Glad they are getting more performance near release. Hopefully, people can stop worrying like crazy over their GTX970/980 running this game well.

Hoping for a launch day SLI support miracle. My 970's will be ready.

Nvidia has been promoting this game, I'd hope SLI drivers be ready before release. Expecting a nice guide from AndyNVidia too!

Kinthalis

Banned
Yes, the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions had previously been confirmed to run at the PC equivalent of High. Though that remains to be seen when the game comes out.

Yeah, it won't. They always say high, and it turns out to be a mix of low, medium and high. Always. Hell sometimes, you have settings set to lower than the lowest on PC (Dying light for example and LOD).

Kinthalis

Banned
IIrc. correctly it was only the texture that were confirmed to be at high settings.

Looking at other software it'll likely be a mix of different settings.

It wasn't even confirmed. This guy was eyeballing the texture quality, saying that it was probably a match for high on PC. He also went on to say that just about everything else was better on High PC, including shadows, foliage, and I believe he mentioned performance, not sure.

TheGrue

Time to start down-sampling if you aren't already.

I too play on the big-screen.

Yeah, I just figured out how to enable this yesterday and messed around with it. I had tried it previously and my TV wouldn't display anything and I realized yesterday that I needed to go into the properties and check all the resolutions.

Just a question about this, though. Is this meant to be so you can turn off AA? Or I guess more specifically, what features does this enable me to turn off?

Kinthalis

Banned
Does this pretty much confirm the game won't be as juicy as CD Project claims on Ultra?

Not necessarily a GTX 980 is still abotu twice the power of a PS4. Utra with all it's extra physics stuff going on, might look damn impresive in motion.

We'll see I guess.

Yeah, it won't. They always say high, and it turns out to be a mix of low, medium and high. Always. Hell sometimes, you have settings set to lower than the lowest on PC (Dying light for example and LOD).

Yeah, they usually have the most apparent settings at or near High, like textures. Other less noticeable settings like LOD, shadow resolution, etc are kept lower.

Judging by the fact that the PS4 is almost a match for Dragon Age Inq's medium setting, I'd say Witcher 3 would be close to medium as well.

Dsyndrome

Nice, I'm guessing I won't be able to get Ultra with my 980M, 32GB RAM, and i7-4980HQ. High should work though with 60FPS.

Renekton

Yeah, they usually have the most apparent settings at or near High, like textures. Other less noticeable settings like LOD, shadow resolution, etc are kept lower.

Judging by the fact that the PS4 is almost a match for Dragon Age Inq's medium setting, I'd say Witcher 3 would be close to medium as well.
DA:I may be less technically-demanding than Witcher 3, with sectioned areas and aggressive culling/LOD thanks to Frostbite. It was also designed to be playable on last-gen consoles.

Unless CDP pull off some ND-level magic.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Not necessarily a GTX 980 is still abotu twice the power of a PS4. Utra with all it's extra physics stuff going on, might look damn impresive in motion.

We'll see I guess.
Well, I for one doubt it. It's barely two months until the release and we still haven't seen anything of this ominous Ultra mode CD Project keeps talking about.

Kezen

Banned
But imagine how good the graphics would look if you could only hit 30 fps.

And lets be honest, any fps over 30 is just vanity.

Unfortunately if they were designing their ultra settings with 30fps in mind on a 980 you already know what kind of reaction they would have from an ignorant vocal majority.

It's pretty sad that even within PC gamers circles the "if I can't have it, no one should" philosophy is so rampant. There would be cause for concerns if only settings could not be adjusted.

misho8723

Banned
From the official Witcher forums:
SCqb.jpg

thebloo

Who's Gamestar and how did they play the build?
Edit: I've been answered above.

This is the second time someone is hyped about the shadows, that they exist. It's odd.

Nvidia has been promoting this game, I'd hope SLI drivers be ready before release. Expecting a nice guide from AndyNVidia too!

That's what I'm hoping. But, didn't W2 launch with bad SLI support? It's been so long now I might be mis-remembering. It and Arkham Knight both coming out SLI strong would make my fucking summer.

Kinthalis

Banned
Unfortunately if they were designing their ultra settings with 30fps in mind on a 980 you already know what kind of reaction they would have from an ignorant vocal majority.

It's pretty sad that even within PC gamers circles the "if I can't have it, no one should" philosophy is so rampant. There would be cause for concerns if only settings could not be adjusted.

I think you mean vocal minority ;) Or maybe not, the sentiment really is rampant.

Crysis suffered form this too. Everyone complained that they couldn't run it at max with their high end gear, never stopping to take a look and realize that even at medium settings the game looked BETTER THAN ANY OTHER GAME ON ANY PLATFORM EVER.

Jeebus.

Top Bottom