• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's next platform will run Android. Here's why.

Tadaima

Edit:
For the sake of transparency, I do not own an Android device.
Please discuss reasons that Nintendo should or should not choose this direction (one-line write-offs do not encourage discussion).

Edit 2:
I have removed the "All but confirmed" line as its usage was distracting from the purpose of the thread.

Well Iwata has talked about Android (and iOS) as an inspiration at least for a future platform.

“To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS,” Iwata stated. “Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples.”

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/02/03/future-nintendo-devices-inspired-ios-android-operating-systems/

-----

It is now confirmed that Nintendo is allocating internal software development resources to the creation of smartphone games, which will hinder the pace of releases for their core platforms and business model.

I think what we are likely to see will be structured as such:

Nintendo next home platform:
• Plays dedicated Nintendo NX games
• Plays Nintendo smartphone games
• Backwards compatible with Wii U games
• Possibly also plays Nintendo 4DS games, akin to Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player, in order to bolster the console's library and not end up with another Wii U situation

Nintendo next handheld platform:
• Plays dedicated Nintendo 4DS games
• Backwards compatible with Nintendo 3DS games

Adoption of Android at the core of Nintendo's next platform has at least six huge benefits:
1. Android is a robust, proven platform which is extensively supported;
2. It further-increases the content available on each Nintendo platform;
3. It allows for easy porting of games and sharing of assets from platform to platform;
4. It allows for Nintendo's engineers to easily develop for any platform;
5. It allows for easy integration of DeNA's services;
6. It opens up the opportunity for much more third party content.

Should Nintendo's core business model flounder further, this also allows for easy porting of titles developed for NX, 4DS, and future platforms to smartphones in the future.

It has also been reported that Nintendo will shift to ARM chips for their next platform(s). ARM chips are used widely in smartphones (as well as inside PS4 and Xbox One) due to their low power consumption and small footprint.

While a proprietary platform may have previously been on the cards, as of this week, adoption of Android is now the most efficient use of Nintendo's resources.

Nintendo has partnered with Google for first-party software in the past, such as with Wii Street U and And-Kensaku. This will likely be the next milestone in the cozy Nintendo-Google relationship.

Discuss.

NMFried

I don't think so. I think Nintendo will have the groundwork and the partnership to make a viable platform without Android.

Hopefully the Nintendo Network name transfers.

EDIT: I could also see Apple making a play at Nintendo, especially to get their IPs promoted on the App Store. It's going to be huge.

Toki767

Doubtful. It'll probably be more of an evolution of the Wii U/3DS OS. Probably with better Miiverse integration.

It's certainly not "all but confirmed," but as far as Tales From My Ass speculation goes this is not a bad prediction. Could happen.

(Nintendo NX is probably a portable and definitely doesn't play smartphone games.)

This is all but confirmed now – Nintendo's unified operating system, for use in their future platforms, is based on Android.

It is now confirmed that Nintendo is allocating internal software development resources to the creation of smartphone games, which will hinder the pace of releases for their core platforms and business model.

I think what we are likely to see will be structured as such:

Nintendo NX:
• Plays dedicated Nintendo NX games
• Backwards compatible with Wii U games
• Possibly also plays Nintendo 4DS games, akin to Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player, in order to bolster the console's library and not end up with another Wii U situation

Nintendo 4DS (placeholder name for next handheld):
• Plays dedicated Nintendo 4DS games
• Backwards compatible with Nintendo 3DS games

This has at least six huge benefits:
1. Android is a robust, proven platform which is extensively supported;
2. It further-increases the content available on each Nintendo platform;
3. It allows for easy porting of games and sharing of assets from platform to platform;
4. It allows for Nintendo's engineers to easily develop for any platform;
5. It allows for easy integration of DeNA's services;
6. It opens up the opportunity for much more third party content.

Should Nintendo's core business model flounder further, this also allows for easy porting of titles developed for NX, 4DS, and future platforms to smartphones in the future.

It has also been reported that Nintendo will shift to ARM chips for their next platform(s). ARM chips are used widely in smartphones (as well as inside PS4 and Xbox One) due to their low power consumption and small footprint.

While a proprietary platform may have previously been on the cards, as of this week, adoption of Android is now the most efficient use of Nintendo's resources.

Nintendo has partnered with Google for first-party software in the past, such as with Wii Street U and And-Kensaku. This will likely be the next milestone in the cozy Nintendo-Google relationship.

Discuss.

you are insane if you think nintendo will go anywhere near android for their platforms. If they used anything remotely resembling android, it would be the most quickly hacked system since the PSP (where homebrew was a thing in its first week). not in a million years.

Not a chance. They'll build something new from the ground up. Of course they might seek out partners (like DeNA) to help them build it, but no way in hell will they build upon something that already exists that didn't originate from inside NCL.

Kriken

This is all but confirmed now – Nintendo's unified operating system, for use in their future platforms, is based on Android.

qPbyGNJ.gif

Doesn't make sense to me.

Nintendo has been burned by piracy and is getting more and more successful at keeping pirates away from their current systems. Using Android could undo all of that. They've always stuck to proprietary formats and they do that for a reason.

So that their games would run everywhere else just with a few root and hacks on any androphone ?
Not happening.

Also, lot of mistakes in your thread. PS4 doesn't use ARM except for a sidechip handling recording for games. As for OS and games, they are running on a x86 processor.

It never was confirmed that their home console would use ARM CPU. And their handhelds already use ARM.

I'm a pretty big Android advocate... there is no way in hell Nintendo would touch Android.

Not a chance. They'll build something new from the ground up. Of course they might seek out partners (like DeNA) to help them build it, but no way in hell will they build upon something that already exists that didn't originate from inside NCL.

Why? I don't see what's wrong with using an established OS and building on top of it. Hell, the PS4 runs on FreeBSD.

Nintendo wouldn't make the mistake again of releasing less powerful hardware, though that may have worked for the wii, it was to the detriment of the wii u and its third party support (on top of low sales of course) No developer wants to downgrade their game. The next Nintendo system will likely have parity with the ps4 and xbox one, and I'm certain it will stray far away from the "wii" name.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Clickbait title.
This belongs on Buzzfeed.

I believe Nintendo will have their own OS with app services on Android and IOS.

It would be a security nightmare to have Android or IOS on a home console. They would have to constantly update to protect against exploits. This would put the OS control away from Nintendo and into the hands of other companies. I don't think Nintendo wants to go that route.

Tadaima

The facts in the OP, such as the allocation of internal teams to the creation of smartphone games, which takes resources away from core platform software development, and the adoption of ARM processors.

+

The benefits, mentioned in the OP.

Perhaps people should talk about the reasons Nintendo should not use Android?

PixelOmen

Neo Member
"ARM chips are used widely in smartphones (as well as inside PS4 and Xbox One)"

You must be referring to some sort of secondary chips, because it's common knowledge the main APU's are AMD chips.

Oregano

Nope.

I personally think NX will be both portable and home console and that many/most/all of Nintendo's smartphone offerings will also be available on NX but they're not going Android based.

Crayolan

First off, why wouldn't Nintendo make their own OS? Don't they always make their own for their consoles?

Second, you're making the assumption that the NX is a home console, when it's more likely that it's a new handheld.

A lot of assumptions for something that's "all but confirmed."

The only thing remotely close to such was that Iwata stated that the next round of hardware will all share similar architecture, similar to iOS and Android devices.

None of Nintendo's devices will actually run Android or iOS, though.

Timeaisis

They're going to have their own OS, but a unified software development platform/engine. They will make games that can be played on Android and Wii U 2.

btrboyev

Nintendo wouldn't make the mistake again of releasing less powerful hardware, though that may have worked for the wii, it was to the detriment of the wii u and its third party support (on top of low sales of course) No developer wants to downgrade their game. The next Nintendo system will likely have parity with the ps4 and xbox one, and I'm certain it will stray far away from the "wii" name.

It can't have parity with PS4 or the One, as it will again be a generation behind by the time this thing comes out. It's also well established that Nintendo is not interested in top of the line specs.

The facts in the OP, such as the allocation of internal teams to the creation of smartphone games, which takes resources away from core platform software development, and reports of the adoption of ARM processors.

+

The benefits, mentioned in the OP.

Perhaps people should talk about the reasons Nintendo should not use Android?

Nearly of what you said are facts
As for why they shouldn't ? Because in less than a month, hackers will find a way to make their games run on any android device.

RM8

Yes, Nintendo salivates at the thought of people cracking their games and playing them on any Android device. I can see it to!

Top Bottom