• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 speedrun takes devs about 25 hours

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Just how big is The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt? That's one of the big questions occupying the minds of fans who are readying to enter the world of the Polish-developed RPG saga.

The studio's promising around 100 hours of content (and several more with DLC factored in), arounds 50 of which will be the main story - on a normal play-through.

But what about a speedrun? Well, a still-sizeable 25 hours is the time to beat, according to CD Projekt Red themselves. Talking to the developer during the Frankfurt leg of Bandai Namco's Level Up event this week, Gamereactor Germany were told that even the fastest of the internal testers took 25 hours to complete the story. That's taking the best route, clicking through all dialogues.

Naturally these testers know the game inside and out though, so it's quite safe to say there is no need to worry about lack of content in Wild Hunt.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/304064/The+Witcher+3+speedrun+takes+devs+about+25+hours/

I don't believe it one bit. I'm almost POSITIVE we will have a speedrun of faster than 25 hours.

On a seperate note, this is starting to sound like a ridiculously massive game... one that I would have loved in college, but now? I don't know that I'll ever finish it...

Damn! I feel like I'm on pace to beat The Witcher 2 in about 25 hours and I'm not really rushing at all. Looks like The Witcher 3 will easily be about twice as long as 2.

CTLance

I bet once a couple of million players go hunting for bugs and shortcuts that time will shrink dramatically.

Not trying to suggest anything here, but this is always how it goes before an RPG comes out. Dev blabbers about how long it took them to go through it, and once the game is out in the wild, all it takes is a YouTube search to find that 2-hour speedrun that someone somewhere managed to pull.

Kama_1082

Banned
I just want to know if the Witcher 3 isn't long for the sake of being long. What I mean is that if at anytime the game gets to be a bit long in the tooth for me, I can just go ahead and try to finish the game instead of doing mandatory side quests that I don't want to do in order to progress.

Serrato

Not trying to suggest anything here, but this is always how it goes before an RPG comes out. Dev blabbers about how long it took them to go through it, and once the game is out in the wild, all it takes is a YouTube search to find that 2-hour speedrun that someone somewhere managed to pull.

The thing is, most glitch a QA will find would normally be fixed by the devs (unless it's too late, Will Not Fix or any other reasons) so whatever glitch or trick they find to bypass any part of the game should be fixed, that's why it's not normal for devs to announce how the game can be completed in 5 hours in you use that glitch we didn't find/fixed!

ironcreed

Banned
That is long as hell for a speed run. This game sounds like it is going to be bigger than anything I have ever played.

Ushay

Value for money right there, love CDPR, easily one of the best developers out there at the moment. There is going to be sooo much to do in this game, the question is will it get stagnant after a while or can they keep it fresh?

bjork

That's taking the best route, clicking through all dialogues

They're already doing it wrong. I bet someone manages to clock like a 14 minute run or something, eventually.

Lanrutcon

The thing is, most glitch a QA will find would normally be fixed by the devs (unless it's too late, Will Not Fix or any other reasons) so whatever glitch or trick they find to bypass any part of the game should be fixed, that's why it's not normal for devs to announce how the game can be completed in 5 hours in you use that glitch we didn't find/fixed!

I'll bet someone finds a glitchless way to half the dev's record within 2 weeks of the game's release. I don't know how up to date you are with the speedrunning community, but those clever bastards are completely merciless in their art. They are destroyers of world(records)s.

I'll bet someone finds a glitchless way to half the dev's record within 2 weeks of the game's release. I don't know how up to date you are with the speedrunning community, but those clever bastards are completely merciless in their art. They are destroyers of world(records)s.
My point exactly.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Leave speedruns to players. :p

christian-bale-gifs.gif

Sande

Aren't speedruns usually like one tenth of a regular run, at most? This just can't be right unless most of the game is mandatory and there are "collect 10000 rat tails" quests.

Lunar15

Nah, ain't a speed run unless you're clipping through a cow in order to fall through the map in order to walk to the final battle and then exploit a timer sequence so that the final boss kills himself.

Serrato

Well, depending on QA themselves. I know myself I have pretty good speedruns on the game I tested, glitchless though. If it's a Dev posing as a QA, then ya, half that easy.

Top Bottom