• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 speedrun takes devs about 25 hours

ocean

Banned
I think nobody in their right mind has any reasonable doubts this game will have a lot of content. Whether it's 30 or 90 hours is ultimately unimportant if it's good quality.

That said, this kind of comment will likely bite them in the ass later on. 2 days after launch there will be a 12 hour no exploit run and idiots will start yelling "they're liars omgarfiehdbfjd"

thuGG_pl

CDPR should stop bragging about how long the game is and talk about why the content will be worth playing.

Would hate to end up with another Dragon Age: Inquisition: 100 hours of tedium.

They did, too bad 3/4 of gaf don't bother to read or listen.

It's sad to see CDProkekt being compared to Bioware in terms of side quests. The side quests in TW2 were extremely well done and I don't doubt that the majority of TW2 will be similar.

This isn't going to be Inquisition with absolutely dreadful side content.

watchdog

Hopefully it's interesting content that makes up the 25+ hours. Other open world games aren't able to hold my attention because most are packed with boring tasks or mini games.

It's sad to see CDProkekt being compared to Bioware in terms of side quests. The side quests in TW2 were extremely well done and I don't doubt that the majority of TW2 will be similar.

This isn't going to be Inquisition with absolutely dreadful side content.

Unless you can see the future, how do you that? BTW there is literally no answer you can give that isn't BS, so don't attempt.

it is good to be optimistic but don't act so certain because you haven't play the game yet.

Unless you can see the future, how do you that? BTW there is literally no answer you can give that isn't BS, so don't attempt.

it is good to be optimistic but don't act so certain because you haven't play the game yet.

Their whole PR campaign revolves around combining an open world with an engaging story without filler fedex quests. So far everything, including the journalist previews, points towards quality side content.

Game4life

Banned
All this game length e-peen is getting a bit tiring. Just talk about level design and mechanics for a change please. We have heard same boring stuff from the likes of Skyrim.

Stormus

In a world that is 3.5 times the size of Skyrim for the landmass alone, I can't imagine it having even less content. Either way, the game sounds like it is going to be ridiculously big.

I wonder how developers went from saying ~20% bigger than Skyrim a couple months ago to 350% bigger now. This is not a negligible difference.

(Also, I am very much so looking forward to this game. I just can't imagine it having 3.5x the content of Skyrim)

Altairre

They did, too bad 3/4 of gaf don't bother to read or listen.

Yeah, the selective hearing/reading is strong when it comes to W3. Be it DLC, quests or whatever. A good amount of scepticism is healthy but don't just blatantly ignore information that has been out there for a while.

No, I can't see into the future but I've played the previous Witcher games several times. It would be a drastic departure given past pedigree and everything we've seen so far.

But you're right, it's about as baseless as the Bioware comparisons.

Radnom

The talk of this game taking forever to complete is why I'm rapidly losing interest in W3.

I barely have time to play games anymore and this honestly sounds like a chore to play.

The W2 is already bad enough with its filler side quests.
I prefer shorter games too, but I thought the Witcher 2 was incredibly good at respecting the player's time and avoiding filler quests... even the 'hunt monster x' quests were more like 'research how to permanently remove monster x, gather the necessary equipment, and finish the job' rather than just running back and forth collecting wolf pelts. The closest to filler were the dice rolling/arm wrestling minigames which at least had some ok dialogue on them. There were only a few instances of those, and they were pretty ignorable.

Which side quests did you think hurt W2?

JPLMD

All this game length e-peen is getting a bit tiring. Just talk about level design and mechanics for a change please. We have heard same boring stuff from the likes of Skyrim.

Agreed. What's the point of 100+ hours of stuff to do when 90% of it is boring as hell to go through? Any game can have something like skyrim where you put in a million boring side quests in to pad the game length, but I prefer quality over that.

erawsd

To be fair those things have been talked about plenty... its just that no one makes topics about that stuff.

Stormus

By reading the comments, you would never guess Skyrim has a ~95 metacritic score and won dozens of Game of the Year awards. But yeah, I hope W3 isn't nearly as bad as Skyrim, what a travesty that would be.

By reading the comments, you would never guess Skyrim has a ~95 metacritic score and won dozens of Game of the Year awards. But yeah, I hope W3 isn't nearly as bad as Skyrim, what a travesty that would be.
Yea, lets hope not. Skyrim bored me and didn't do anything particularly well aside from scale. Rather not have the game be dumbed down for a larger player base.

It's not that, Skyrim is just not what people expect a Witcher game to be.

Skyrim is a hiking simulator with bad combat, copy-paste dungeons and shallow quests. The Witcher series is a good RPG with interesting choices, fleshed-out quests and bad combat.

The only thing they have in common is the bad combat. So people understandably get antsy when they see the developers comparing TW3 to Skyrim, because they think it'll inherit all the bad stuff Skyrim does (when the Witcher is supposed to do those same things well).

Deadstar

Witcher 2 took me around 35 hours. This game is going to be massive. Still wish pc players got the card deck though.

The only thing they have in common is the bad combat. So people understandably get antsy when they see the developers comparing TW3 to Skyrim, because they think it'll inherit all the bad stuff Skyrim does (when the Witcher is supposed to do those same things well).

I think even TW2's combat is mile ahead of any of the combat in TES series, but I never found TW2's combat to be particularly frustrating--it wasn't perfect but I'd never call it bad. The next TES game needs to have a new combat system before I consider touching it.

It's not that, Skyrim is just not what people expect a Witcher game to be.

Skyrim is a hiking simulator with bad combat, copy-paste dungeons and shallow quests. The Witcher series is a good RPG with interesting choices, fleshed-out quests and bad combat.

Comparisons with Skyrim have been drawn only because of the scope of the game. They have even criticized the quests and characters of Skyrim in the past, just read this interview.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ev-says-skyrims-story-and-quests-were-generic

It's pretty clear they are aiming for a completely different experience.

ironcreed

Banned
I wonder how developers went from saying ~20% bigger than Skyrim a couple months ago to 350% bigger now. This is not a negligible difference.

(Also, I am very much so looking forward to this game. I just can't imagine it having 3.5x the content of Skyrim)

I was referring to them saying that the landmass is 3.5 times larger, plus we have the sea as well. How much actual content remains to be seen. But again, I can't imagine it having less. Though even if it does, this is still going to be one huge game all the same.

Blobbers

This is the second time CDPR has made a statement they thought would jive well with the gaming populace, but in actuality has the opposite effect.

25 hours for a speedrun is not a good sign, or at the very least is not a sign at all, it just means The Witcher 3 is not a good speedrunning game.

"The world of Witcher 3 is gonna be a bajillion times bigger than Skyrim. Isn't that awesome? Huh? Huh?"
No, because you're never gonna fill that much world with interesting, varied content. Even Skyrim couldn't.

Sometimes I think these guys are constantly trying to find different ways to wow hardcore gamers. It's like: "This industry sure is kinda shit, guys, innit? But look at all the ways our games still manage to be cool and grandiose and awesome? We are truly a beacon of light in these dark times".

I'm probably reading too much into it.

Darknight

Wait until someone finds a glitch to teleport to the end boss and beat it in 10 minutes. Even The Order will be longer than The Witcher 3 at that point.

Game4life

Banned

Skyrim is an average game. I would hope Witcher 3's combat, level design etc.. are not mediocre.

Sometimes I think these guys are constantly trying to find different ways to wow hardcore gamers. It's like: "This industry sure is kinda shit, guys, innit? But look at all the ways our games still manage to be cool and grandiose and awesome? We are truly a beacon of light in these dark times".

I feel exactly like you.

Tovarisc

They have talked about world design, mechanics etc. extensively and given hands on time to press. Check out this large thread with plenty info spread all over whole thread because news kept coming in; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1014355

Edit:
"The world of Witcher 3 is gonna be a bajillion times bigger than Skyrim. Isn't that awesome? Huh? Huh?"
No, because you're never gonna fill that much world with interesting, varied content. Even Skyrim couldn't.

I'm never been convinced that Bethesda even really went for it when it comes to filling world of Skyrim with hand crafted and interesting content. Always felt like groundwork and tools for community to mod and add interesting content into the game that way. Create minimum expected from ES game and let modders loose kinda deal.

But thats just me.

cackhyena

This is the second time CDPR has made a statement they thought would jive well with the gaming populace, but in actuality has the opposite effect.

25 hours for a speedrun is not a good sign, or at the very least is not a sign at all, it just means The Witcher 3 is not a good speedrunning game.

Nah, all that sounds about right to me.

Sydle

That is such a turn off for me. I don't have 50 hours for a normal play through on anything these days, it would take me months.

Oh well, plenty of other games to play.

My wife is due any day now (actual due date is April 28th). With a newborn in the house, this game will take me a year or more to complete. And I am 100% fine with that. I plan on this and Batman being the final two games I buy for 2015.

I think you are reacting to overly enthusiastic reactions of people rather than to what they really have stated (mostly due to what ends up with a thread and what doesn't). But it's natural, like "I like this band, but hate their fans" kinda thing.

Kosma

Banned
That is such a turn off for me. I don't have 50 hours for a normal play through on anything these days, it would take me months.

Oh well, plenty of other games to play.

uuuh you know this is an rpg right?

My wife is due any day now (actual due date is April 28th). With a newborn in the house, this game will take me a year or more to complete. And I am 100% fine with that. I plan on this and Batman being the final two games I buy for 2015.

i just had my first one and let me tell you they sleep a lot

ive almost beaten bloodborne already (35 hours) just by playing during my "shifts"

RDreamer

Why are people being so negative about this sort of stuff coming out? I don't think CDPR is putting it on a billboard or some crap. We don't even know the context. For all we know some journalist was harassing them with questions on length and they just said "Well, the quickest time in our testing was 25 hours." Maybe it wasn't meant to be some big headline brag at all.

I mean, it is still a pretty good time for that, I think.

Skyrim couldn't because I'm not entirely sure Bethesda could fill even 2 hours with interesting, varied content...

roytheone

Never take the opinion of neogaf as a valid representative of the overall opinion about a game. This forum is predominantly used by the most hardcore of gamers, which in the grand scheme of things don't even represent 10 % of the overall gaming public. So especially a game like Skyrim, that makes a lot off concessions to attract a bigger player base, will be judged a lot harsher here, and the overall opinion about Skyrim will be a lot different and a lot more positive.
I loved Skyrim BTW
but I agree the melee combat sucked ass.

Thats alot of unskippable sex scenes ; ).

If true this will take me at least 60 hours. Since I like to take my time an take in the world (if well built).

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I love open world games, I can't wait to play this. It took me a while to get into The Witcher 2, but once I did, I really liked it. It looks like 3 will improve in almost every area, and this is my frontrunner projection for game of the year 2015.

Though companies tend to always overestimate gameplay length, obviously. They include achievements/trophies, random collecting, etc to bump it up usually.

I, for one, applaud the W3's lenght and CD Projekt for emphasizing it.
What happened to those RPG's that would go on for weeks? Nowadays games take less than one week to complete. Bethesda is the only one that makes truly long games and we need more.

And length doesn't mean bloated.

Top Bottom