• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 speedrun takes devs about 25 hours

Denton

I know CD Project Red is one of the good guys, but whenever I hear some developer grandstanding about how long their game is, I can only imagine said game is padded to the boned with repetitive, borefest quests ala Inquisition

Good thing that not every dev is Bioware then.

Christ what the fuck have you done, Bioware.

Aren't speedruns usually like one tenth of a regular run, at most? This just can't be right unless most of the game is mandatory and there are "collect 10000 rat tails" quests.

Yeah, this doesn't sound right to me at all. If someone who knows exactly what they're doing can complete the main game in 25 hours then a new player will probably come in around twice that, and I don't believe there will be 40-50 hours ordinary story content for the average player unless there's a lot of tedious and poor quest design.

But then, devs always exaggerate their game length by 50-100% when talking about it pre-release.

It wouldn't surprise me if some people finished The Witcher 3 in 25 hours by just playing normally, sticking to the main quest and NOT speedrunning. Devs always exaggerate how long it takes to play through a game. I don't think "50-100 hours of content" is as big of a selling point these days compared to 10 years ago. Especially among consumers who are in their late 20s and older and don't have oodles of free time on their hands...they care more about the pacing and quality of the content.

I'm starting to think that CDPR is trying a bit TOO hard recently to market The Witcher 3...they seem almost desperate to communicate that the game is precisely "this", "this" and not "that". That may make some people feel a bit suspicious and skeptical...is the actual game genuinely what the devs are pitching. Hype and marketing are important things...but at the same time, the best games tend to "sell themselves" and stand on their own two feet without an overabundance of detailed blabbering from their devs and pubs.

velociraptor

The talk of this game taking forever to complete is why I'm rapidly losing interest in W3.

I barely have time to play games anymore and this honestly sounds like a chore to play.

The W2 is already bad enough with its filler side quests.

erawsd

I know CDPR is trying to run the Skyrim playbook with all the "LOOK HOW BIG OUR GAME IS" but they gotta be careful in this post-Inquisition world.

F4r0_Atak

Just how big is The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt? That's one of the big questions occupying the minds of fans who are readying to enter the world of the Polish-developed RPG saga.

The studio's promising around 100 hours of content (and several more with DLC factored in), arounds 50 of which will be the main story - on a normal play-through.

But what about a speedrun? Well, a still-sizeable 25 hours is the time to beat, according to CD Projekt Red themselves. Talking to the developer during the Frankfurt leg of Bandai Namco's Level Up event this week, Gamereactor Germany were told that even the fastest of the internal testers took 25 hours to complete the story. That's taking the best route, clicking through all dialogues.

Naturally these testers know the game inside and out though, so it's quite safe to say there is no need to worry about lack of content in Wild Hunt.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/304064/The+Witcher+3+speedrun+takes+devs+about+25+hours/

Believe me when I say that someone somewhere will find some kind of loop or hole in the level/game design that will help them to pass on most of the major events, especially due to its open-world and open-ended conversations natures. Some people managed to speedrun Dragon Age Origins in less than 1 hour (with similar features) and same applies for Bloodborne (as a latest release). All games have a minium of holes and loops that can help people reach and beat those times in pretty much any kind of game.

So... good luck with that CD Projekt!! Don't cry if someone manage to do it under 10, or even 5. :D

Stormus

Perhaps. But for us regular folks the game sounds like it is going to absolutely dwarf Skyrim. Which would make it a ludicrously big game.

Why is this an on-going narrative? 30% bigger than Skyrim =/= more content. Witcher devs say ~150 hours of content. I played Skyrim around ~270 hours before I even installed my first mod.

F4r0_Atak

Which will look better Bloodborne or The Witcher 3?

Loving Bloodborne by the way!

Well, they do have different Art Direction that appeals to different tastes and type of people, but since Bloodborne is a SCE IP-owned PS4 exclusive and Witcher 3 is coming out on PC, I would say Witcher 3.

But when it comes to the whole picture of the game... I guess that Witcher 3, being a multiplatform game, will have to prove if its chosen aliasing, framerate (and pacing) and art direction throughout the game will remain consistent and well placed in the existing universe (Witcher) versus Bloodborne's current art direction, technical performance and details (when it comes to visuals).

The longest speedruns take a while because of unskippable cutscenes, like FF9 at AGDQ (or was it SGDQ). If it takes them 25 hours at the fastest even without exploits and just trying only to optimize time, then it sounds like there is a lot of fluff. Of course it's likely they are exagerrating the speed run time.

F4r0_Atak

The longest speedruns take a while because of unskippable cutscenes, like FF9 at AGDQ (or was it SGDQ). If it takes them 25 hours at the fastest even without exploits and just trying only to optimize time, then it sounds like there is a lot of fluff. Of course it's likely they are exagerrating the speed run time.

I hope not... some people will actually try to hold them on these words and bash on the need of that planned and ''removed'' (to be downloadable) content. :p

ironcreed

Banned
Personally, I want a huge game with legs that I can keep going back to for a long time. That is something I still value in a time where so many games are considered throw away, like an empty bag after finishing the snack that it once contained after a day or two of consuming.

But yeah, I imagine that if it is even half as big as they claim, then it will be a huge negative for many. It seems like more and more people want that quick, but satisfying snack, instead of something that they can enjoy in bites over a longer period. Something you can return to a year later in order to enjoy more of the world you missed and then play a huge expansion. Give me that shelf life and bang for my buck.

ironcreed

Banned
Why is this an on-going narrative? 30% bigger than Skyrim =/= more content. Witcher devs say ~150 hours of content. I played Skyrim around ~270 hours before I even installed my first mod.

In a world that is 3.5 times the size of Skyrim for the landmass alone, I can't imagine it having even less content. Either way, the game sounds like it is going to be ridiculously big.

Aikidoka

Don't really like the focus on how big the game is or the comparisons to Skyrim. Skyrim is just a really lifeless sandbox - it's wonderful if you just like to go around killing bandits and making armor for 50 hours, but as far as, impactful stories, Skyrim is really lacking. I've been hoping that going open world won't dilute the story and atmosphere of The Witcher 3.

Megasoum

Banned
Uhu, it seems too strange. Speedrun is not only a factor og "how much you know the game", but also how much can you exploit some things to proceed faster, avoid enemies etc. 25 hours seems too much, for me. Skipping movies, avoiding enemies and doing only main plot shouldn't require so much time.

I think CDPR is going into "damage control" mode after that season pass affaire.

Testers don't do AGDQ style speedruns...

It's like saying that Nintendo QA back in the 90s was only doing the 20min glitch run of OoT when it was in QA... Doesn't make any sense.

What they call speedruns are actually "Fast Playthroughs"... Which means they play the game "normaly" without glitch or anything like that but the quickest and most efficient way possible. Aka skip convos, cutscenes etc, but you still play the whole game.

antitrop

CDPR should stop bragging about how long the game is and talk about why the content will be worth playing.

Would hate to end up with another Dragon Age: Inquisition: 100 hours of tedium.

roytheone

They should do what is always tradition at Bethesda, and have a speed run competition a week before they release the game.

halfbeast

Banned
let's wait a week after its release. :3

3:50:00 calling it!

is there a witcher 2 speedrun and how long does it take?

Beatrix

A lot of content doesn't necessarily mean it'll be fun. I mean look at Assassin's Creed or Watch Dogs. Hopefully it's not repetitive.

ironcreed

Banned
The previews have said that the side quests are generally meaningful and fun, but I can't realistically expect there not to be a bunch of the simpler, usual fare quests as well. I mean, in a world like this that is going to be a given.

let's wait a week after its release. :3

3:50:00 calling it!

is there a witcher 2 speedrun and how long does it take?

I see a 2:18:17 speedrun on Hard...apparently this is before a patch that put in unskippable cutscenes though

Witcher 3 to have 24 hours of unskippable cutscenes confirmed

KePoW

Banned
Using glitches shouldn't count. I fucking hate speedruns that do that, it's bullshit

Just play a game how it's meant to be played

Guri

It's impossible for me, hahaha. I mean, I'm not a completionist, but I do like to explore a lot. So I will never finish this in 25 hours.

halfbeast

Banned
I see a 2:18:17 speedrun on Hard...apparently this is before a patch that put in unskippable cutscenes though

Witcher 3 to have 24 hours of unskippable cutscenes confirmed

ok, that's just petty. unskippable cutscenes should've died looooong ago. why are developers/publishers so afraid of speedrunning?

Tovarisc

Don't do meaningless bullshit. Easy.

What qualifies as "meaningless bullshit"?

Games are rarely compelling enough to keep me hooked longer than 50 hours, this game sounds bloated tbh, like DA Inquisition.

How you determine that? Lets say main story took 25h for dev then we can argue that for player on easy it will take ~20h to do main story only which sounds reasonable for RPG. How it means game is bloated?

Or are you referring to their previous claim about 200h of content? Even then it's really up to individual opinion how much of it is bloating and will depend on how engaging that side stuff is.

CDPR should stop bragging about how long the game is and talk about why the content will be worth playing.

Would hate to end up with another Dragon Age: Inquisition: 100 hours of tedium.

Here is Q&A with level designer where he pretty much says that everything in Witcher 3 is handcrafted by devs and there is no duplicate content [environment, quests...]; http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/34251-Developer-Spotlight-Miles-Tost?p=1574325&viewfull=1 If everything truly is handcrafted and unique I think exploring and seeing it will be worth the time.

What game is Witcher comparable to?

I loved Skyrim (my first ES game), mainly because it was a massive world with a ton of the random interactions/battles/missions you just stumble upon while walking through an area. Am I right in assuming Witcher has that kind of stuff too?

Acinixys

Yeah, this doesn't sound right to me at all. If someone who knows exactly what they're doing can complete the main game in 25 hours then a new player will probably come in around twice that, and I don't believe there will be 40-50 hours ordinary story content for the average player unless there's a lot of tedious and poor quest design.

But then, devs always exaggerate their game length by 50-100% when talking about it pre-release.

Can we he honest for a second

Even if the game is only 30-40 hours thats still an INSANELY long campaign compared to what single player games have pumped out in the last 5 years

Khasim

Can we he honest for a second

Even if the game is only 30-40 hours thats still an INSANELY long campaign compared to what single player games have pumped out in the last 5 years

Also, remember that this 25h is with SKIPPING ALL CUTSCENES AND DIALOGUE. Who the hell skips dialogue and cutscenes in an RPG on their first playthrough? It would be like skipping shooting sections in a shooter and only watching the cutscenes
inb4 The Order:1886 joke

I always do ALL the sidequests and listen to all dialogue on my first Witcher playthrough. I believe that TW3 might actually take me 100 hours or more to fully complete, providing I don't break and decide to use fast travel. FT probably cuts down on a lot of gameplay time.

erawsd

The previews have said that the side quests are generally meaningful and fun, but I can't realistically expect there not to be a bunch of the simpler, usual fare quests as well. I mean, in a world like this that is going to be a given.

Yeah, probably. I do think that there is going to be some backlash over the quest design regardless. One thing I've come to learn after reading various RPG forums and even here on GAF is that there are a lot of different opinions about what a fetch quest is. Some people slap that label on any quest where you are helping an NPC. People like that are most certainly going to be disappointed.

Top Bottom