• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 speedrun takes devs about 25 hours

Massa

I hope they don't follow the Dragon Age Inquisition model of having "hours of content". For me I want the content that's there to be good, hours spent is a meaningless metric.

ironcreed

Banned
I mean, the world is something like 3.5 times the size of Skyrim or 52 square miles. And that is just the landmass. This game is going to be ridiculous.

MaxiLive

The dev record will be beat very quickly!

The 25 hours dev quickest time would beat legit playthrough still, with just skipping certain missions and taking the fastest critical path. Probably not glitches allowed!

I'm sure actually speed runners doing any% will have it down well below the 24 hour mark within a week :D

That is pretty impressive for a speedrun........COnsidering a lot of talk this year has been about the lack of time it takes to play a game......this should be good xD

I'm personally worried a bit by the talk of how big and how much content is in the game.

Not to be cliche, but quality > quantity and a lot of games suffer from going on too long than not long enough these days.

CDPR have the benefit of the doubt from me because of the first 2 games, but I hope it's not a case that only 20% of the content is worth actually playing.

This isn't too surprising. I think Chapter 1 of The Witcher 2 took me 10-12 hours to complete, although the next few chapters weren't as long.

These games are robust, y'all.

Yeul

Coming off of DA:I (with still more DLC to come) to The Witcher 3 makes me really happy that they are as long as they are. They hold me over for a while and I'm always finding new things in them that I missed.

From what I'm hearing about the quality of the side quests, this is one game I don't mind being that long. Hopefully I'll beat it before Arkham Knight comes out! Try my best to 100% it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
But did they pull the game cart out just the right amount to clip past gatekeepers?

Megasoum

Banned
As someone working in QA and who sees testers play through games insanely quickly everyday this is incredible lol.

cLOUDo

tumblr_n7gpfqL7jV1r5go4lo1_500.gif

I know CD Project Red is one of the good guys, but whenever I hear some developer grandstanding about how long their game is, I can only imagine said game is padded to the boned with repetitive, borefest quests ala Inquisition

The more they hype the amount of content in this game, the more I get worried that it's going to end up like Dragon Age Inquisition, where the first 50 hours are fun, but then it becomes exhausting to complete everything. 100 hours of content doesn't mean 100 hours of fun.

Aren't speedruns usually like one tenth of a regular run, at most? This just can't be right unless most of the game is mandatory and there are "collect 10000 rat tails" quests.
They're devs, not speedrunners. I bet you speedrunners will be able to at least halve that without even finding glitches. There's more to speedrunning than finding glitches and exploiting them.

Ploid 3.0

Can't speed fetch quests, or the "do this for me and I'll give you the second oar for your row boat you just got from me." That or you have long distances to travel that you can't warp to.

Games are rarely compelling enough to keep me hooked longer than 50 hours, this game sounds bloated tbh, like DA Inquisition.

Boney

Banned
The term speed run here is just used as beating it without doing side content. It's not an actual speed run

DJIzana

What's that got to do with anything?

They're both trying to achieve different things technically and artistically.

Agreed. They are definitely trying to do both things differently. Speaking of artistic though... I'm hoping to see other varied environments. I've never been a fan of the dead tree / lifeless looking areas in games.

Derp

Can't speed fetch quests, or the "do this for me and I'll give you the second oar for your row boat you just got from me." That or you have long distances to travel that you can't warp to.
"Go 600km north and find meh bag of rice. I musta dropped it somewhere there. Need it to cook somethin'. Come back and i'll give ya the oar."
*comes back with back of rice*
"Okay here's the oar. Ya can't sail away until ya get the boat into the water, lad, so i'll tell ya what. Go 600km south and find me ring that me wife gave me. Means teh world to meh. Come back and i'll help ya drag the boat into the water."
*comes back with ring*
"lad i've got bad news. I haven't got a boat for ya. My uncle Jimmy Bob stole it. Track teh old fella down and ask him if he has me boat. Best place to check is 900km east. He's definitely there."

Top Bottom