• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple devices sure sucks at Wifi ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

longdi

Banned
I just got another broadband internet as it is affordable and helps to cover the other ends of my home. Set it up using a same set of router broadcasting the same SSID but through different public IPs.

Windows and Android devices easily detected the new router and even smart enough to switch routers if signals are weak.

But my iPad4, iPhone5 and iPhone6 all have trouble connecting to the new router! I tried renew lease, reset network settings, reboot and the auto connection is still spotty. Sometimes i get ipad is not connected to internet blahblahblah...but the youtube apps work.

What gives? I thought Apple devices supposed to just work?

I know this isn't the point of the thread, and I Don't wanna be "that guy", but the way you've gone about solving your problem is utterly, utterly bizarre.

Edit: To clarify, you bought a whole new internet connection to go to a different part of your house, and set up another router with the same name there? What might have been more effective (and cheaper) would be to set up a Wifi range extender (which also uses the same name and password) to do basically the same thing but with less confusion for the devices, since both access points are actually on the same network (as opposed to your solution, where you have two routers with the same connection details but which are on entirely separate networks).

cgcg

Yea it's shit. I have an iPad2 that just can't get signal at a distance where every other device is able to. Even a shitty no name tablet someone got for $20 bucks, yes 2 and a 0 bucks can get the signal. The Wifi adapter is pure shit.

Dalek

Wait...you signed up with two different ISPs to expand your wifi connectivity in your home?

Why didn't you get another router to act as an extender?

VoidVR

Banned
Huh, a few days ago I was thinking the exact opposite. Bought an iPad Air 2 a few months ago, which is my first ever Apple device. Started going out on the garden to read recently since it's getting warm and was surprised that the iPad picked up my wifi signal all the way up there. I tried before with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and HTC One M8 and none of them pick it up at the same distance.

Oppo

AirPort Extreme is godly. I will hear no rebuke.

I'm guessing you have some interference or your router is acting up.

and yes your solution is... a bit weird.

One-Shot

Banned
I just got another broadband internet as it is affordable and helps to cover the other ends of my home. Set it up using a same set of router broadcasting the same SSID but through different public IPs.
Joke post?

Windows and Android devices easily detected the new router and even smart enough to switch routers if signals are weak.

But my iPad4, iPhone5 and iPhone6 all have trouble connecting to the new router! I tried renew lease, reset network settings, reboot and the auto connection is still spotty. Sometimes i get ipad is not connected to internet blahblahblah...but the youtube apps work.

Never had an issue, so donno.

rambis

Banned
Used a 5S for a while and I have to agree. Gotta love that random bar with wifi that most of your friends can connect to but for some reason your iPhone refuses.

Theonik

Wait...you signed up with two different ISPs to expand your wifi connectivity in your home?

Why didn't you get another router to act as an extender?
More importantly the OP should look into bonding these and setup a proper router infrastructure. That way he can both increase his speed AND get better wifi.

longdi

Banned
It is the same ISP and they provide me the same wireless router. Dual wielding wifi baby! :D

Range extender, tried it and it sucks even more. Not only will it half the wireless throughput, my windows and android devices, in addition to Apple devices, have problem connecting consistently.

RoadDogg

This is pretty easy to fix. You just need to buy duplicate Apple devices to use on that end of the house/apartment.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
ISP-supplied routers and access points usually suck, so that could be the problem.

At my kitchen my (Samsung) android phone, Dell Venue Windows tablet, Nvidia Shield Portable and even the N3DS report strong connection from my quality dual band access point, while my iPad Mini struggles. The only other devices with this behaviour is my PS Oled Vita. :/

Mimosa97

I can get excellent signal with my Vita, samsung galaxy, asus laptop etc... But I always struggle with my Ipad 3. And this shit has been going on for more than a year. I called the tech support, they told me to set a new " broadband " (is that the right word ?) and use another kind of password (WPA I think) exclusively for my Ipad. It's been working a bit better now but it's still shit.

I'm really thinking about buying a new tablet. And it won't be an Ipad.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
You need to try and change the wireless channel on your router from auto to 1, 6, or 11.

I used to work at a company who's routers had this issue, only apple devices could not connect. This was the solution.

the other solution is creating a seperate network (if your router supports it) and create a different network with different wpa settings, but the first one generally works.

In the same room as the router my iPad 3 has issues. Usually solved by turning wifi on and off on the device, but still...Why should I have to?

rambis

Banned
Its important to note that this is potentially a problem with fail rates of whatever particular wireless circuitry Apple is using. Some chips may ship perfect while others are maybe just good enough to pass QC.

You can find these types of problems with most any major device line.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

umm.. w.t.f?

apple devices do "just work" and generally have decent wifi range. However what you've done is..... umm... w.t.f? dude. you're doing it wrong. frankly I'm surprised your other devices actually work without issues (and really question if they actually do).

My guess is the apple device's probably don't want to let go of the other SSID because they realize that, even though it's the same SSID, it's really an entirely different network. It would be like my iPhone letting go of my "NETGEAR" SSID because oh hey, my neighbor has a "NETGEAR" network also. I'd be pissed if that happened.

This is pretty easy to fix. You just need to buy duplicate Apple devices to use on that end of the house/apartment.
bizarrely, given the OP this is actually the most sensible solution. I still can't even wrap my head around this.

It is the same ISP and they provide me the same wireless router. Dual wielding wifi baby! :D

Range extender, tried it and it sucks even more. Not only will it half the wireless throughput, my windows and android devices, in addition to Apple devices, have problem connecting consistently.
umm.. this is not at all how bonding works..... a pure wifi range extender has it's own trade offs yes, BUT at least you have one coherent network instead of two completely separate ones. If you wanted to do it right, you would just run wired ethernet to a new location and install a bridge on the same SSID.. at which point at least all of your devices would know they are on the same network, could keep their IP addresses, etc.

longdi

Banned
My case is not the weak wifi signal, but no wifi signal being detected all! :D
My guess is Apple is doing some lockdown shit with their wifi detection that will confuse their devices if there are 2 public IPs but only 1 SSID available.

Oh my channels have been switched from auto to both using the same channels. Broadcasting only 2.4Ghz 'N' and 5Ghz 'N' and 'AC'

Wifi is really sucky technology.

Alx

Could explain a few things... at work our boss comes every other day complaining he can't get internet on his MBP. Or sometimes it's people from marketing. While our old 10-year old PC laptops still keep connected all day long.

wrowa

You need to try and change the wireless channel on your router from auto to 1, 6, or 11.

I used to work at a company who's routers had this issue, only apple devices could not connect. This was the solution.

the other solution is creating a seperate network (if your router supports it) and create a different network with different wpa settings, but the first one generally works.

Yeah, I had a similar problem a few months back where suddenly the iPhones of my gf and me weren't able to connect to the internet anymore. Turned out that switching into a different channel solved the issue.

I have weird issues with my MBA not connecting properly when my Android phone does it fine. Your solution is pure insanity, though, OP.

longdi

Banned
sorry bro. 0 problems with my Apple devices on my network.

I know. Apple devices work fine with the original router/broadband, and good enough range.

They are just confused after i introduced the router twins. Android and Windows seems to work easily.

DJ_Lae

I would have just bought a more powerful router to use as an access point with your existing network - I did that a few months back with a Nighthawk (as with Telus TV I couldn't axe their silly Actiontec router completely).

Works great.

In this case you're having to solve a problem that you caused. I don't think it's worth the hassle.

I know. Apple devices work fine with the original router/broadband, and good enough range.

They are just confused after i introduced the router twins. Android and Windows seems to work easily.

FWIW: I've been using Netgear routers for about 8 years. Always have been good to me.

Also, do you have to have 2 IP addresses? I have 2 routers daisy chained together to reach my entire home and that works for me. Same SSID, but all are on the same network and IP so there's no confusion.

sometimes the device (to connect faster to the AP) generates a cached response from the router, and it uses it so it just goes faster on the net.

Delete the connection from the device, and put it in again. Problem solved. Don't be lazy

borghe

My guess is Apple is doing some lockdown shit with their wifi detection that will confuse their devices if there are 2 public IPs but only 1 SSID available.

Oh my channels have been switched from auto to both using the same channels. Broadcasting only 2.4Ghz 'N' and 5Ghz 'N' and 'AC'

dude... stop blaming apple. your setup sucks. here's what is likely happening.

You have two completely separate networks. Two separate RFC1918 private networks.. two DHCP servers with two DHCP ranges.. two public IP addresses. It is literally as if you are trying to get your devices to work seamlessly between your house and your neighbors house.

Like I said.. I am shocked (and frankly a bit skeptical) that your other devices don't have ANY problems because the setup is highly flawed and unstable. More than likely the Apple devices are recognizing that they are two completely separate networks, and thus not letting go of the one network knowing that they would be on a completely different network..

You don't have a roaming/bonding setup. You've installed two completely separate networks. Most devices will recognize this and not just switch between them based on signal strength. Most devices are set to stay on a preferred network unless signal strength is virtually dead. Range extenders and bridges can be installed to allow for quick and seamless switching over. But that's not what you have installed. You have a completely DIFFERENT network installed.

FWIW: I've been using Netgear routers for about 8 years. Always have been good to me.

Also, do you have to have 2 IP addresses? I have 2 routers daisy chained together to reach my entire home and that works for me. Same SSID, but all are on the same network and IP so there's no confusion.
this can work, but be VERY careful in recommending this as it has to be setup properly (i.e. turning off DHCP on the "inside" router, making sure to hook up LAN-to-LAN and not WAN-to-LAN, or configuring bridging options if needed, etc.)

Yeah I've been noticing this to be true between my ipad and my roommates iphone. Anytime theres any slight change in network settings, it stops working, then I have to fiddle with settings to find a way to get everything to work. The weird part is simply reverting settings to what I had before doesn't work every time (or causes random issues with something else).

You signed up for a second internet account in your own home? This seems like something a tech-illiterate old person would do.

cwmartin

You put two routers with different public IPS and two completely different networks on the same channel with the same SSID and are confused why there are issues?

This is not how networks should interact or exist.

mattp

i'm sorry, but, your solution to this problem is fucking terrible

edit: because this:
dude... stop blaming apple. your setup sucks. here's what is likely happening.

You have two completely separate networks. Two separate RFC1918 private networks.. two DHCP servers with two DHCP ranges.. two public IP addresses. It is literally as if you are trying to get your devices to work seamlessly between your house and your neighbors house.

Like I said.. I am shocked (and frankly a bit skeptical) that your other devices don't have ANY problems because the setup is highly flawed and unstable. More than likely the Apple devices are recognizing that they are two completely separate networks, and thus not letting go of the one network knowing that they would be on a completely different network..

You don't have a roaming/bonding setup. You've installed two completely separate networks. Most devices will recognize this and not just switch between them based on signal strength. Most devices are set to stay on a preferred network unless signal strength is virtually dead. Range extenders and bridges can be installed to allow for quick and seamless switching over. But that's not what you have installed. You have a completely DIFFERENT network installed.

Venfayth

iOS devices usually work more consistently for me with wireless networks than other devices. There's my anecdotal evidence.

As for this thread, I have no clue why you're doing what you're doing. It's really bizarre.

madmook

Giving two entirely different networks the same exact SSID is probably doing more harm than good.

I'd suggest setting up two different SSID's, and make sure they're not occupying the same wireless channel, too. And at the same time try to stay away from wireless channels that your neighbors are using.

Mimosa97

That's exactly what I did and now it works only slightly better ... :(

I'm desperate.

When I play online on my Ipad I always get disconneted every 10 or 15 mns or the signal goes from 100% to 20% to 100% etc... All the while i'm sitting just next to the router.

borghe

Giving two entirely different networks the same exact SSID is probably doing more harm than good.

I'd suggest setting up two different SSID's, and make sure they're not occupying the same wireless channel, too. And at the same time try to stay away from wireless channels that your neighbors are using.

two problems to your suggestion (which is still more valid than what he's done)

first, he would actually have to stay away from overlapping channels IN HIS OWN HOUSE. which is it's own problem... so if one neighbor was 1 and the other was 6, then his only choice for NOC would be 11... but he has two networks (same SSID or not).

Second, as I pointed out above.. with two separate networks, most devices will only let go of the current network in EXTREME circumstances. They won't simply say "oh hey here's a network with a slightly better signal strength. I'm gonna use that instead." They will do that with bridges on the SAME wifi network.. but two separate networks the device will usually stay on the prioritized network until no longer feasible. So it still wouldn't even really fix the problem he's having (would just make it less confusing to the device when it does switch)

That's exactly what I did and now it works only slightly better ... :(

I'm desperate.

When I play online on my Ipad I always get disconneted every 10 or 15 mns or the signal goes from 100% to 20% to 100% etc... All the while i'm sitting just next to the router.

read this post. It's because setting up a second network will still result in a network having a higher priority and that device (apple or not) wanting to stay on the prioritized network. The prioritized network has to become basically unusuable for the device to switch to a network of lower priority (and frankly even switching to a higher priority.. though the signal strength can be higher on the lower network to switch.. but still not enough to be predictable)

ISP-supplied routers and access points usually suck, so that could be the problem.

Truth. Been using Cablevisions supplied router and it was a nightmare. Random disconnects. Randomly lose inter we requiring reboot. All devices randomly claim incorrect password until I reboot the router. Oh and shitty range.

Got an asus router last week and the thing is good money.. All the issues I had are gone.

longdi

Banned
So will setting 2 separate SSIDs solve this problem with Apple devices?

Btw i did give all my devices static IP, same settings on both routers, no random DHCP allocation. I also enabled MAC filtering and WPA2 security and there is only 1 such SSID in my area, and that is mine. :D So i think my devices wont autoroam too badly?

And yes Windows and Android devices are working well currently, surprising? Not sure we should, i thought Wireless..at least in the 'N' and 'AC' maturity, should work smart enough...

Android devices would connect to the nearest router1 and if i moved away from it and towards router2, the device would say "temporary avoiding weak connection etc"...and in the next few seconds, auto-connects to router2! 0_0

Apple devices couldnt even connect properly to router1(which is the newly introduced router). They work properly with router1 off...

Mimosa97

read this post. It's because setting up a second network will still result in a network having a higher priority and that device (apple or not) wanting to stay on the prioritized network. The prioritized network has to become basically unusuable for the device to switch to a network of lower priority (and frankly even switching to a higher priority.. though the signal strength can be higher on the lower network to switch.. but still not enough to be predictable)

Ok I get what you're saying. It makes total sense. But what am I supposed to do then ?

I don't know much about this stuff but when I set the second network I did ask my ipad to " forget " the last one and set it on the new network. But I can still see the old network on the list of available networks when I go in the settings.

And how come my Vita, Samsung galaxy, asus laptop have been working perfectly ? This only happens with my Ipad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom